Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2017
    @Grond0 Thanks, yeah I suspected as much but didn't figure out that you can shave 8 hours by resting before hand. The rest of the five had no chance without the mage.

Edit: aand I apparently didn't rest, possibly only pushed the done button in the rest menu. :D Well luckily football starts soon.
    HarpagornisGrond0StummvonBordwehr
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Okay, Xahrk bought everything he will need for the next battles - wands, potions, scrolls and a lot of arrows.

But as anticipation is the greatest joy i will park him for another night in the wildernis. May he sleep well. :)

Good luck @histamiini for the final challenges! Will you travel to the Iceland Island to get Stoneskin? ;)

I am also thinking about a poverty run like @Grond0 plays. Totemic Druid will be great. Or better Sorcerer?

I fear both will suffer hard at the end of BG1 - not to speak about SoD and Big B. Or am i mistaken? :D
    histamiiniStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    After watching Barca maul Deportivo, the Doppelganger mage finally agroed. He put up much better battle than the rest of the five, but eventually got grinded down. Next up the mother of all collection runs, before trying Sarevok.

@Harpagornis Forgot that all together, so that on top of the Durlag's Goblet are the only dangers left before Sarevok. I'm not too worried of the final battle tbh, as there's clear tactic in it, park in corner, invisibility and burn baby burn, and now I've unlimited fireballs instead of 50. Famous last words. :D
    StummvonBordwehrArctodusHarpagornis
    Unlimited Fireballs @histamiini? My Fireball wand got 50 charges. No tricks, no glitches! B)

Sarevok should be no big deal - with some caution. And if i can trap my overconfidence and the always creeping in carelessness SoD should be a walk in the park too. Theoretically. The last runs told something different. :D
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

I am also thinking about a poverty run like @Grond0 plays. Totemic Druid will be great. Or better Sorcerer?

If you're thinking of a solo LoB run then I can't see any possibility for either a totemic druid or sorcerer to get past Sarevok. I think the only way to do that would be either a character with stealth or a shaman - but in either case the chances of success would still be almost indistinguishable from zero >:).
    StummvonBordwehrArctodusHarpagornis
    edited December 2017
    @Harpagornis Well not unlimited, but as many Wands as I can carry. ;) Speaking of Fireballs, you can make Love wonder around hitting him with Fireball, and when he's separated WoMS him down, no problems there. Ice Island was feeding ground for my WoMS as I hid invisible, which was probably overkill as my save vs. spell is currently 1. But had to waste 30 charges. Now it's just matter of collecting some money to refresh WoMS and buy one additional WoF, or I could pawn some of my jewels. But the safe bet is to have some currency beyond gold no?
    HarpagornisStummvonBordwehr
    Seperating Love isnt working anymore @histamiini. One year ago: Yes, it worked. But today Love is ALWAYS following Love. Avarice and Pride also start to show up more and more in the last time. As i said before: It nearly looks like that the Wardens are learning. :D

Yeah, you might be right @Grond0. Totemic Druid will be great until the big boss battles. Too bad.

Hope i will get time to push Xahrk into SoD today. His is ready, he is prepared. Can anyone stop him? Maybe his controller. B)
    histamiiniStummvonBordwehr
    Not at all @histamiini cause Xahrk also rolled through Sarevok! B)

The method was the same like always: Park Sarevok and friends in a corner and take on Angelo. As Xahrk always dispelled his protections the Ogres and Gnolls had an easy beating. Good!

After some waiting the Wand of Fire burned everone into the ground Semaj (14), Tazok (18) and Diarmid (21). The no-save against wands made this party really smooth.

With Sarevok alone Xahrk dispelled the Haste before combining Acid Arrows (61) and Wand of Frost (17). His poor brother just couldnt catch the fast-as-lightning Xahrk.

So far i must admit that this beefed-up Fighter class fits me quite well. Still a lot of punching and shooting but with some magic sparkles floating around. Cant get much better! ;)

Time to prepare for Korlasz...
    histamiiniArctodusStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017
    Damn, well almost. Btw how no-save vs. wands? @Harpagornis
    edited December 2017
    @Blackraven or @Grond0 told me that once and - indeed - enemies get no save against wands so full damage. Does EET change that?

Anyway: Xahrk already smashed Korlasz!

Sneaked to Porios and peaced him up -> PfU + Invisibility to reach Korlasz -> buffed up and trapped her with five summons (Ogre, Gnoll and three Wolves) -> dispelled protections and smacked her down to "injured" -> surrender

No backstabbers this time even though the Gnoll and Ogre went down. Even better: With 250k XP reached Xahrk jumped to level 9. Too bad thats max for SoD. One Fighter level lost cause 5k XP will be missing. But all the precious wands are far better - no? ;)

Time to take all the loot, before moving on to BG once more! ;)
    edited December 2017
    No idea about EET, but probably going to remove that for the next install anyway, I'm sick and tired of the no-level cap for BG1. Four has the same Fighter level for SoD, but 10 levels of Mage on top of that which should be good. It's not until in SoA when Xahrk starts to get that hp advantage.
    Harpagornis
    135 HP with Helm & Familiar is not that bad but its sure that Four´s power grows much more. Mage level 3 was just a fitting compromise between "i dont like Mages at all" and "lets push the Fighter in a creative way". :D

Pure Fighter would be a bit painful in this no-reload-run while the pure Mage still isnt my taste. So in the end its the "best" of two worlds merged in one. Lets see how far we can push him! ;)

As time is lacking Xahrk will have to take some walks through the city before starting his March to Dragonspear.

In the meanwhile i will read how Four is rolling through SoD. Well - maybe. Lets see! B)
    edited December 2017
    Interestingly Four has 137 hp (19 con+familiar+helm) for SoD, which is more than what Sir Vanderley had (also 135), although have to use Kjells helmet for Bel. Yeah I'm not really that into mages either, I try to melee everything I can rather than to think it all out. But nevertheless it's handy reserve to have.

Four is having his moment of reflections, in awe of thinking how well she did. Lets see if she eventually snaps out of it, and doesn't break her leg in the first trouble. ;)
    Grond0HarpagornisStummvonBordwehr
    edited December 2017
    After admiring the dampness of the crypt few hours Four decided to move on. First mob grinded down at the bridge by never ending WoMS plug. PfU and invisibility got me to Korlasz. WoMS, 2x Durlag's Goblet, done. Well that was easy. Jewels netted 40k from the start, can't wait to get the Bag of Holding.

StummvonBordwehrGrond0Harpagornis
    edited December 2017
    Chapter 8

Helped Tsolak to kill the hunters, they were no match for hasted WoMS. Buffed up and was able to save the Dwarves with spamming WoMS, who got buffed from the cleric. With invisibility rounded all the undead up to the throne room, PfU, and after meleeing the Sentry down started spamming Sunfires (x3) and Fireballs. That's such a satisfying feeling.

2 PfU's were enough to clear the whole crypt, then killed the Fire Elementals. The lich, with Greenstone Amulet and WoMS I depleted its spells and defenses, but then something happened. I got feared from the Goblet, even wearing Kiels Helmet, how's that possible? Luckily the lich doesn't attack and the whole crypt is empty. Now I'm just humping the lich for how long? :D

Seriously, please tell me that the fear runs out eventually?

EDIT: Apparently at 00 hour the lich got his spells back and although lasting all them out, once he summoned the skeli I was toast. Wow can't believe it, what a way to go. :D
    Post edited by histamiini on
    StummvonBordwehrHarpagornisJuliusBorisov
    @Grond0 Well, that sucks. Is it a bug or feature though? I'm continuing Four anyway because I'm too tired of the beginning of the game currently, but I'm just not sure if I should continue it as no-reload or not...
    Harpagornis
    edited December 2017
    @Grond0 Yeah probably. I tested it out, if you use the Greenstone Amulet, then after it has ended if you then use the Durlag's Goblet, even with Kiel's Helmet on, you will get morale failure: berserk. Re-equipping Kiels Helmet after Greenstone Amulet has ended prevents that. If developers are aware of the bug, I don't probably need to report it to them. Seems like a major bug to me, and is hopefully fixed on 2.5.
    HarpagornisJuliusBorisov
    Tested it on 2.5 and it has the same issues. Reported it anyway, they will remove/merge if they are aware of it.
    HarpagornisJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017
    @Arctodus Yeah I think I will continue no-reload, but probably only after holidays.

There's also the second question, is it normal behavior that npc's get spells back after certain period, or at 00 hours (not resting)?
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, its a bug that has been mentioned in the past - like @Arctodus stated. Brakko died to another bug @histamiini and i decided that dead is dead - regardless of bug or no bug. Maybe thats a bit hardcore but i just couldnt touch him anymore - he was somehow tainted for me... >:)

At the moment i am testing another character so Xahrk has to wait "a little bit". More infos later... ;)

P.S. At the end its up to each player if he still wants to continue - or not! ;)
    histamiiniArctodus
    As time lacked only a small update: My Invoker 3 -> Thief has still some fun while doing everything slower than usual. At the moment i like the soak up the atmosphere more than rushing forward. There is no need for a hurry - no? ;)

However: Madirr pushed reputation to 20 once Greywolf was gone. But - holy cow! Seven traps and 177 arrows were needed to bring him down. Rolling one 1 after another (13 in total with only three crits) this took way too long. Maybe its time to grab the Wand of Monster Summons. This was one of the (rare) moments were a fighter would have shined more. Shortbows just lack some punch - should visit Meilum soon... :D
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0JuliusBorisov