Skip to content

Spoiler! So anyone else hoarding gems late BG1, now?

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
I know it's probably wrong, but I've taken to hoarding gems towards the end of BG1 so that I can sell them at the beginning of SoD and cash in after my gold gets stolen. With the amount of high value gems in the late game, you can easily have enough to replenish most of your gold in SoD, and in BG1, you eventually hit a point where you have stupid amounts of gold.

There is some justification for this. In old school PnP, gold had weight, and couldn't lug a massive hoard. You either had to put it in a bank (and trust the DM not to screw you over and have the banker abscond with your cash), or invest it in some gems and jewelry that were light weight, but high value.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited February 2017
    The answer is yes...T_T

Also potions, since they can be sold and hoarded in the potion case pretty easily.

Not that there's too much to use the gold on in SoD anyway, but yes old habits die hard.. You always need to have that huge pile of gold ''just in case' ':(
    Post edited by batoor on
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Of course.
    You can't say you have beaten the game unless every spare inventury slot, case, bag, necks/arms/body is carrying something (which you will never use).

It always upsets me the last group in the undercity is carrying so many goodies, (none of which I need but does that stop me picking it all up? as if). And then to add insult to injury, the game ends before you get a chance to pick up the Savarok gang stuff.

What I would recommend is ensuring all wands are fully charged and keeping scrolls.
    (Wand of fire 50 charges, monster summoning 100 charges)
    And scrolls, you play through with your wizard, run through the first dungeon throwing out spellls you have worked hard to obtain. Ten minutes later you pick them up again after being forced to drop them, they have had a partial memory wipe.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Of course.
    You can't say you have beaten the game unless every spare inventury slot, case, bag, necks/arms/body is carrying something (which you will never use).

It always upsets me the last group in the undercity is carrying so many goodies, (none of which I need but does that stop me picking it all up? as if). And then to add insult to injury, the game ends before you get a chance to pick up the Savarok gang stuff.

What I would recommend is ensuring all wands are fully charged and keeping scrolls.
    (Wand of fire 50 charges, monster summoning 100 charges)
    And scrolls, you play through with your wizard, run through the first dungeon throwing out spellls you have worked hard to obtain. Ten minutes later you pick them up again after being forced to drop them, they have had a partial memory wipe.

I use near infinity to edit the final battle's area file so it doesn't end the game and I can carry on with tosc's adventures.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    If you want to be a little more disingenuous, you can go on a spending spree at Sorcerous Sundries right before heading down to face Saravok. Buy back gems you've already sold, magic items, armour, etc... basically spend every gold piece you can on stuff you can later sell in SOD.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Shouldn't there be a spoiler warning in the OP?

Anyway, with the first character I ended BG now that I know how SoD starts, I made sure I have enough valuables in my inventory. What bothered me though with SoD, is that containers didn't import. Probably because the containers where added by the BagBonus mod in my BG playthrough, but I played vanilla SoD.

What containers can be found in vanilla BG that DO import into SoD?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited February 2017
    *EDIT* There is a scroll case and gem bag.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Also the potion case from High Hedge.
    I tested importing my Final Save into SoD, but like with the first time I played SoD, the containers weren't there, neither the scroll case and gem bag I got in Beregost, nor the potion case from High Hedge. Maybe their item codes were changed in between versions?

I imported from a modded v1.3.2053 BG:EE into a vanilla v2.3.67.2 SoD (there's no v1.3.2053 SoD, is there?) and they didn't import!

Guess I'll have to do without all things I've looted but for what the party carried on their body. That is, if I continue with this party. I'd first have to mod my SoD install to get Valerie and Tenya NPC's in.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Son_of_Imoen To keep your containers, you don't have to "import" saves. Just load your final save and proceed from BGEE to SoD in-game (the procedure should start shortly after you load your save).

@Son_of_Imoen To keep your containers, you don't have to "import" saves. Just load your final save and proceed from BGEE to SoD in-game (the procedure should start shortly after you load your save).

No, that won't work. The campaign was played and the final battle done in a v1.3 (.2053) BG:EE install, like a said. The v2.3 (.67.2) BG:EE with Siege of Dragonspear included is a different game. Proceeding in game would only work for a campaing run inside the v2.3.67.2 version where Siege of Dragonspear IS installed (I haven't even yet started a campaign in v2.3).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    You can load your 1.3 bgee save in BGEE+SoD and proceed.

Thank you, that method does work!
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Can you spell out exactly what you mean here as I have the same issue.

Thanks, sorry for being dumb.

There're basically 2 ways of continuing your BGEE character's adventure in SoD:

1) start a new SoD game and import a character from your BGEE save
    2) load your BGEE final save, wait for a few seconds and the game will resume with the SoD intro

Containers are kept if you choose the second option.