Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

v1.4

• The Shadow Orb and Tome were long outdated. Both have been updated to work with the current content, allowing for sorcerer and bard use.
    • Shadow summons have their spell selection slightly reduced as it was pretty clear how oppressive they can get with the proper AI to use their spells.
    What a coincidence, I was just whining about these!
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    @Artemius_I, the Nighthaunt does not seem to have the undead resistance. It can be confused.

Also, when starting a new game is you don't have any spells memorized. Could you create a one use scroll like FnP that allows you to memorize spells? Otherwise I have to rest immediately or go without spells a while in both BGEE and BG2EE.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    @Artemius_I Can Shadow Disciples even learn the Arcane Lore and Shadow Pact HLAs? You mentioned they can't use the shadow scrolls to stop them from being overpowered, which is fair. Arcane Lore teaches a new spell per level, though, and a sorcerer doesn't memorize spells, so Shadow Pact's extra spell slots are useless.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Apocrypha said:

@Artemius_I Can Shadow Disciples even learn the Arcane Lore and Shadow Pact HLAs? You mentioned they can't use the shadow scrolls to stop them from being overpowered, which is fair. Arcane Lore teaches a new spell per level, though, and a sorcerer doesn't memorize spells, so Shadow Pact's extra spell slots are useless.

@Apocrypha

For sorcerers the Shadow Pact HLAs function as extra casts per day.

Arcane Lore as a sorcerer HLA is honestly fine. The reason Shadow Scrolls aren't allowed is because too many known spells makes the sorcerer outclass the mage entirely due to the latter's limited spell slots, but one spell per spell level isn't enough to make that much of a difference, and the mage will have advantages over the sorcerer pre-3m experience. Personally, I don't even take Arcane Lore on the shadow adept until my 4th or 5th HLA most of the time.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited February 2018
    I found a mod compatibility issue I just thought I would share with Shadow Magic and Chaos Sorcerer mods.
    Install CS before SM and it's fine. Install CS after SM and the CS will not install.
    Given this, I am not sure if running SM after CS sorcerer install will cause problems playing a CS.
    Just thought I would ask. This is where the load stopped:

[./override/C0SADEPT.BCS] loaded, 386572 bytes
    ERROR: [C0SADEPT.BCS] -> [override/C0SADEPT.BCS] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("NextTriggerObject() without a next trigger (broken TriggerOverride)"))
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing ["Chaos Sorcerer" kit], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/OTHER.0")
    [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

(tagging @argent77 to avoid a double post)
    Similar but different error on just installing the SA only portion of Shadow Magic mod and trying to install the CS:
    [./override/C0SASUMM.BCS] loaded, 353306 bytes
    ERROR: [C0SASUMM.BCS] -> [override/C0SASUMM.BCS] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("NextTriggerObject() without a next trigger (broken TriggerOverride)"))

ERROR Installing ["Chaos Sorcerer" kit], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/OTHER.0")
    [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 37 files for [A7-CHAOSSORCERER/SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.TP2] component 0.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    The error is caused by invalid scripts from Shadow Magic, where WeiDU stumbles over an incorrect use of TriggerOverride/NextTriggerObject. TriggerOverride requires a trigger that can be overridden. The scripts don't contain any.

It's coincidence that these errors are triggered by Chaos Sorcerer. Any other mod installed afterwards that is accessing the scripts in question would have triggered the error as well.
    @argent77 Do you think the CS would be affected by the SM mod if, as mentioned, the CS installs correctly before SM with no problems (then installing SM after it)?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    I haven't played Shadow Magic yet, so I don't know in detail what it has to offer. Chaos Sorcerer scans SPELL.IDS for available spells to generate spell lists. If this file isn't touched by SM, then it should be safe to install CS first.
    Does SM touch the SPELL.IDS Artemius? Although not playing a shadow adept I still want to experience the quests and know the order of install to provide for a possible shadow adept run without re-installing everything. Might be good to know so a note could be placed with each mod giving a heads up to compatibility or order of install.
    @Artemius_I, does the regeneration and extra attacks per round for the half-dragon and Wrath epics stack?
    @Artemius_I, ran in to an issue with the book Nosferatu. It removes 40hp to equip. The problem is if you save then quit and go back into the game, it seems to try to take another 40hp off the reduced value. I kept getting game over deaths at load every time I tried to load the game (I had 77hp -40hp for book, so 37hp at save). So saving with the book equipped with 40hp or less means you can't load the game anymore as you just die. I had to use EEKeeper to unequip the book so I could load my game.

Also, the book says you have 40 charges for a special attack, but I don't see a counter starting at 40 and I don't see a special attack option in my item abilities. Does the book just give 40 attacks and then it is gone?
    edited February 2018
    Shadow Pack II HLA says I should lose 3hp taking it. I only lose 2hp when I take it.

EDIT: I notice that Shadow Pack I is allowing me to take it more then once. Is this intentional?
    edited February 2018
    @Artemius_I, I have run into an issue with the Shadow Disciple. When I complete SoA, I see the starting movie for ToB (people talking around table) and then it crashed. I tried completing the final battle several times with the same result of crash. I then tried to start a new ToB game using my final save and it crashed. I exported my character and tried to start a new ToB game and import the character and it crashes. If I start a new game of ToB with a Shadow Disciple, it works fine. I ran into the same issue when I tried to bring my SD from BGEE to BG2EE. I ended upstarting a new SD for SoA as I would lost all my possessions anyway. Losing everything going into ToB sucks!

NOTE: The Shadow Disciple is fun and having played BGEE and BG2EE with one was great. I think he is overpowered compared to the Shadow Adept. He may need to lose 1 know spell per level in my opinion. Also, you may want to restrict the SD from the HLA that gives +1 INT and +1 know spell per level. The SA knowing all Shadow spells doesn't make up for how he needs to memorize what he wants to cast compared to the SD having every spell at his disposal.

I am hoping you can point me out to the conflict (not even sure it has anything to do with this mod).
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on
    edited February 2018
    I tried to start new games in ToB with both a SA and SD and it crashes out. I tried starting with a regular sorcerer and it worked.
  • ggallegherggallegher Member Posts: 78
    Is a new character supposed to start with some spells as either the Shadow Adept or Shadow Disciple in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition? I'm not using patch 2.5.

I've gone through character creation and gotten the new character plopped in front of Candlekeep Inn, where any selected spells from the creation process gets stripped from them. The character has Infravision and 8 hitpoints, so I know some class features are applying, but their spellbook is completely empty.
    @Artemius_I, any chance of fixing this mod so it will work in ToB?
    @Necromanx2

You make it sound like I’m thinking of leaving it broken the way it is. As soon as I figure out why it’s crashing, yes, it will be fixed.
    Sorry if my excitement for this mod came across as an insult!

I know you are busy and I very much appreciate all your efforts. I am well aware that you (and all modders) do this all out of your own goodness.

Zaghoul said:

Does SM touch the SPELL.IDS Artemius? Although not playing a shadow adept I still want to experience the quests and know the order of install to provide for a possible shadow adept run without re-installing everything. Might be good to know so a note could be placed with each mod giving a heads up to compatibility or order of install.

@Artemius_I Just thought I would ask your thoughts on this again. References a few posts back on this page. Thanks in advance.
  • Skull_BearerSkull_Bearer Member Posts: 71
    I am having the same problem. I got through character creation and start with no spells. The spell selection in character creation just gives me normal mage spells, which then disappear when the game starts :(
  • CooperblackCooperblack Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2018
    I have tested it some, The only way I can get to play this mod is by choosing a pure generalist mage (multiclass mage won't work nor a mage specialized in school) and after the game begins use the Shadow Orb to transform into a Shadowmage (you will only be able to cast 2 lvl 1 spells but I believe this corrects itself after you gain more levels.

Edit: Use the Shadow Orb by writing C:CreateItem("C0SAORB") in the console and make sure your alignment fits.
    @Artemius_I, any luck with the ToB crash fix? Also, how is the stronghold work coming along?

@Artemius_I, any luck with the ToB crash fix? Also, how is the stronghold work coming along?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my game setup. I will release a version 1.5 once I fix the bug.

The stronghold is honestly barely at 5% completion right now. Sorry to say it.
    Updated. The shadow adept and ToB crash bug have been fixed.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Shadow Bard? hmmm...
    ThacoBell said:

Shadow Bard? hmmm...

Fun fact. The original idea for the Nightsinger’s bard song was a lobotomy/sleep effect but it was impossible to balance.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    edited April 2018
    @Artemius_I, I started a new game in BG2EE with v1.5. The cut scene with Irenicus does not kick off (I can immediately select my charater and look in his inventory and other things) and I end up trapped in the cage as Imoen never comes to open it.

EDIT: It only happens with the Shadow Disciple. The Shadow Adept works fine.

EDIT2: I tried again and this time it works for the Shadow Disciple. Not sure what happened, but I will go with it.

EDIT3: If you start as an Elf Shadow Disciple, it does not start the cut scene. Human SD works fine. Elf Shadow Adept works fine.
    ... ... ... *sigh*

My fault. I think I've fixed it.
  • ggallegherggallegher Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2018
    @Artemius_I I think something else became broken. Attempting to install version 1.51 results in the following error in weidu:

Installing [Shadow Magic: Quests and Encounters (BG:EE)]
    Copying 1 file ...
    ERROR: error loading [shadowadept/items/c0unisha.itm]

ERROR Installing [Shadow Magic: Quests and Encounters (BG:EE)], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 0 files for [SHADOWADEPT/SETUP-SHADOWADEPT.TP2] component 3.
    Uninstalled 0 files for [SHADOWADEPT/SETUP-SHADOWADEPT.TP2] component 3.
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "shadowadept/items/c0unisha.itm")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-SHADOWADEPT.DEBUG to Artemius_I
    Using Language [English]

The file "c0unisha.itm" doesn't exist in the folder path "shadowadept/items/" or, indeed, anywhere within the folder structure of the download for 1.5.1. I don't have a copy of Shadow Magic 1.4 to check whether it existed within that version.

edit: found the file in an old install and added it, but shadowadept/creatures/c0sakryn.cre was also missing and had to be added as well in order for the component "Shadow Magic: Quest and Encounters (BG: EE) to install successfully.