Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @southfla79

Weird. The problem is that your .IDS files are missing some crucial entries that this mod depends on, and v2.0+ should contain them. The only way that's possible is if some mod has regressed them to a pre-2.0 state (likely a megamod with outdated resources). If I were you I'd make a copy of your game file and uninstall the megamods individually to see which one's causing issues.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    Hmmm prob the same reason for some of argents mods not installing. Will need.to compare go old installs where both mods installed to see what new mods were added. Thanks for the quick check!!
    Just an FYI, it's something in that old soulafein mod from baldursgatemods.com that cause the issue with the triggerIDS.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
    edited May 2018
    NOTE: IF USING A PRIOR VERSION, DO NOT UPDATE THE MOD AND PLAY ON A PRE-EXISTING GAME.

Updated to v1.8.
    • Shadow Adept multi-classes have been updated to proper multi-class kits in order to give them the correct HLA tables. Kit names:
    • Fighter/Mage -> Shade Warrior
    • Mage/Thief -> Nightblade
    • Cleric/Mage -> Nightbringer
    • Fighter/Mage/Thief -> Shadow Enforcer
    • Fighter/Mage/Cleric -> Dark Justiciar
    • Shadow Orb's been updated to provide the multi-class kits above for the corresponding classes. Shadow Adept stat requirements (12 CON, 9 INT, 9 CHA) are now required for successful kit change. The shadow orb is destroyed after use, whether successful or not.
    • The randomly occurring SoA starting bug should be fixed
    • Shadow Monk can now use Shadow Adept items
    • Shadow Double and Invoke Reflection simulacrums have AI
    • Improved and fixed a few visuals
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    ThacoBellFlashburn
    /cries......i just finished my new install yesterday
    @southfla79

Updating and creating a new character is okay. I recommend uninstalling and deleting the older version of the mod first though
    are the multiclass kits supposed to be selectable at character creation? If so, they're not

are the multiclass kits supposed to be selectable at character creation? If so, they're not

No. You need the orb. The reason is that whenever I want an SA kit to be selectable at character creation I have to make two kits due to engine limitations, and I don’t want to take up too many kit slots.
    ok cool. checking out the other changes now. will report any issues!
    FMC, FM, MT (going to assume all of them although only checked those three) are not getting shadow familiar at lvl 6.

HLA tables seem to be fine. Did you intend to give the multiclass kits every HLA available for each class?

Are the shadows summoned by shadow gate supposed to be controllable?
    edited May 2018
    @southfla79

HLA tables are mostly as normal multiclass HLAs except with mage HLAs exchanged for Shadow Adept ones. The exceptions are the triple-class HLAs which have 9th level spells for people who play without experience caps.

Shadow Gate summons are intended to be uncontrollable.

Updated to v1.81.
    • All shadow kits get familiars as intended.
    • Collapsed all optional subcomponents in component 1. There's too many scripts that check for the sorcerer, bard, multiclass kits or familiars which will cause issues if any of them are not installed. Since all the subcomponents can be ignored hopefully this isn't that big of a deal.
    On another note, the various script overhauls I've done now allow me to make some gameplay changes without more easily e.g. making spells more powerful at nighttime/weaker in daylight. Would there be any interest in a change like this?
  • RingStarRingStar Member Posts: 12
    At the beginning I have to say ... Super modification. I already have a few hours of neck games, and it works great (Especially that I have a lot of other mods). At times, the spell for Shadow Weave is a bit too strong, but not too much. As for the strength of the spells on Day / Night it could be interesting, although I do not know how the rest ... But I prefer to play in the day if it is possible, because it is hard to see the details at night.
    Updated to v1.82.
    • Yin'rou will automatically stealth when out of combat (can be disabled via dialogue)
    • Ka'Shai will automatically sing when in combat (can be disabled via dialogue)
    • Nyx will automatically find traps when out of combat (can be disabled via dialogue)
    • Party AI is no longer required to be on for Nightsinger's Tithe
    • Player gets a brief moment to memorise spells after spell selection
    • Using the Shadow Orb on multiclasses should work properly now
    • On-death effects no longer produce contingency messages
    • Summon Shadow: Shadows are weakened in natural daylight
    • Added: Shadowfade
    • The following spells no longer affect undead: Negative Energy Ray, Negative Energy Burst, Nightshade, Enervation
    • Shadow Binding: Now holds all types of creatures but only affects one target
    • Merciless Blizzard: Creatures immune to cold are unaffected
    • Fiery Pandemonium: Creatures immune to fire are unaffected
    • Shar's Blessing: Doubled APR at 14th level now works via Improved Haste opcode
    • Immunity: renamed to Negative Immunity
    • Wall of Black Flame: 2d6 -> 4d6 damage, -2 -> -4 armor class
    • Dread Whispers: save penalty for morale failure increased from -2 to -6
    • Shatter Weave: 4d10 -> 10d4 damage to mages
    • Invoke Reflection: No longer turns targets hostile
    • Shadow's Refuge: No longer causes game overs when the caster is the only controllable character, can now leave refuge early for partial benefits
    • Dark Passage: Works more smoothly, should not be abusable for permanent stat buffs
    • Night Knives: Delayed damage removed, each attack launches two knives instead
    Shadowfade
    (Illusion/Phantasm - Shadow Weave)

Level: 2
    Range: Touch
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 2
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Saving Throw: None

This spell causes the creature touched to vanish from sight and be undetectable by normal vision or even infravision. Of course, the invisible creature is not magically silenced, and certain other conditions can render the creature detectable. Even allies cannot see the invisible creature or its gear, unless these allies can normally see invisible things or employ magic to do so. Items dropped or put down by the invisible creature become visible; items picked up disappear if tucked into the clothing or pouches worn by the creature. The spell remains in effect until it is magically broken or dispelled, until the recipient attacks any creature, or until 24 hours have passed. The caster cannot perform any actions that manipulate the environment around , such as opening doors, disarming a trap, or opening a chest. The caster can, however, cast defensive spells on self and fellow party members. And if attacks, immediately becomes visible, although the invisibility enables to attack first.

Additionally, if the target is either a shadow adept or a native of the Shadow Plane, they are healed for 1d6 hit points (+1d6 per five caster levels).
    RingStar
    edited May 2018
    v1.83
    • Integrated Item Pack into main component
    • Shadeskin no longer uses baldur.bcs script
    • Oblivion Pull changed to instant targeted effect
    • Slightly rebalanced Intelligence-based bonuses
    • Added Charisma-based stat bonuses
    • Removed Charisma-based extra spells learned
    • Shadow Magic stat-draining modifiers changed from +5 minus spell level to 0 minus spell level
    • Added Identify as a free spell at 1st level
    • Added Shadow Scrolls to apprentices (BG:EE)
    • Apprentice-hunting reward lowered from 2000 to 1000 (BG:EE)
    • Shadow Scrolls can no longer be placed in Quick Slots (BUGFIX)
    • Removed extra spell slot from Shadow Orb-kitted non-dual classes (BUGFIX)
    Quite a few changes this time around. In case people need explanations on the more questionable changes:

Integrated Item Pack into main component - it was going to have to be integrated into either the main component or the quest component sooner or later. Most of the items ended up on the quest characters, meaning that leaving it as a standalone component was becoming more and more of a headache as it became more integral to the other components. Bear in mind a lot of items won't actually appear in the game without the BG:EE (and future BG2:EE) quest components.

Added Charisma-based stat bonuses (save bonuses + bonus damage)
    Removed Charisma-based extra spells learned - I never liked the CHA-based extra spell learning much because it makes CHA a faux-important stat since it actually encourages boosting CHA via items to as high as you can go before leveling up rather than having a consistently high CHA stat. This change goes hand in hand with the other change below:

Shadow Magic stat-draining modifiers changed from +5 minus spell level to 0 minus spell level - Quite frankly, this should have been done long ago. It is actually impossible to die via CON-drain from 1st-5th level spells unless you deliberately made your CON ridiculously low, and even for 6th-9th you'd have to get very unlucky to end up dead especially as your save vs. death stat increases over time. With the newly added CHA-based save bonuses, this needed to be done. This should make casting actually more dangerous at higher levels - until you get Shadow Shield, that is.

Added Shadow Scrolls to apprentices (BG:EE) - slightly making up for the loss of CHA-based extra spells while not affecting the sorcerer's power.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    RingStarMirandel
    Can I normally update the previous version with these changes?
    edited May 2018
    @RingStar

Best if you uninstall and install the new version. I also highly recommend creating a new character if possible.
    RingStar
    edited May 2018
    Updated to v1.84.

I only just learned that custom-colored text is a thing, and have been making copious usage of it. Several interface messages, namely stat drains from casting and percentage-based damage from certain spells are now nicely colored like so:

Which is quite nice since I also decided to rebalance quite a few damage spells to make use of percentage-based damage rather than flat or dice-based damage. See the change log for details:

Note: percentage-based damage, due to strange hardcoded effects, cannot be mitigated by elemental resistances regardless of what type it is set to. I don't feel it's that broken since I've deliberately made sure that in most cases the percent dealt will be lower than previous values except for against enemies with ~100+ hit points. In LoB however, it is VERY powerful since everything there has a massive hit point stat.
    • Added colored text to spell cost messages and percentage-based damage
    • Fixed bugs with CON-based Drain Vitality spells
    • Drain Vitality (all variants), Enervation and Shadow Dragon Breath: all no longer affect undead
    • Cursed Flame: 1d4+2 initial damage -> 1d4+10% maximum hit points damage
    • Shadowblast: now hits instantly
    • Shadow Comets: projectile speed increased
    • Shadow Spear: now only pierces one target
    • Shadow Spear: (level 17+) can instakill undead
    • Shadow Spear: now ignores Magic resistance
    • Fireshield (Shadow): 1d8+2 cold damage -> 1d8+2 damage (half cold, half magic)
    • Pain Mirror: added buff indicators
    • Cone of Bitter Cold: d4+flat cold damage -> d4+% maximum hit point damage, no longer affects cold-immune targets
    • Nightshade: no longer ignores Magic Resistance
    • Disintegrate: 6d6 magic damage if target survives
    • Black Rose: Visual improved, entangle effect always works as intended (BUGFIX)
    • Possess: target's STR, DEX and CON are set to 25 while possessed (spell will fail on unkillable targets)
    • Negastorm: 1d4 magic damage per level -> 20% maximum hit points +2% per caster level after 16th level
    • Dark Passage: save penalty to avoid hit point loss increased to -4
    • Blackfire Fury: spawning Devil Shade on kill works properly (BUGFIX)
    • Shar's Mantle: no longer sets attacker's hit points to 10% (BUGFIX)
    • Invoke Reflection: No longer creates hostile clones (BUGFIX)
    • Shadow Dragon Breath: 8d8 magic damage -> 4d4 unmitigated damage + 30% maximum hit points damage (save vs. breath to avoid percent damage)
    • Wrath of Darkness: added permanent +4 THAC0
    ZaghoulFlashburn
    edited May 2018
    Updated to v1.85.
    • Fixed issue with Shadow Disciple not working after character creation
    • Added script lines to relearn erased spells automatically
    • Added auto pause with message for memorizing spells for a newly created shadow adept
    for the spell changes, could i drop the appropriate files into my override and have them work on a working install (have 1.83 installed currently....can't reinstall or SCS will take another 5 hours to run).

I know the descriptions would be off....
    edited May 2018
    @southfla79
    You’d only get a portion of the necessary changes, as well as text errors galore in the combat log so I wouldn’t recommend it.
    RingStar
    On another note, it’s funny to reflect upon how much work has gone into polishing this mod considering it was something I had originally deemed too homebrew for release.
    RingStarZaghoulThacoBell
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I will be so using this mod when I finally get a chance to play EET trilogy. It looks fantastic! I always had a soft spot for Shadow Wave.
    I have a problem. I use EET. Everything is fine when using the 1.8 Shadow Magic version, but after installing the 1.85 version I can not reinstall EET_END (Which I must first uninstall because it always enters as the last component). The problem disappears as I go back to version 1.8.
    ___
    Question: Do we normally qualify for Mage Stronhold by playing as Shadow Adept in BG II?
    RingStar said:

I have a problem. I use EET. Everything is fine when using the 1.8 Shadow Magic version, but after installing the 1.85 version I can not reinstall EET_END (Which I must first uninstall because it always enters as the last component). The problem disappears as I go back to version 1.8.

Ehh... can’t test this one for myself since I don’t have a working EET setup. If you post the Setup-shadowadept debug file I might be able to get some information out of that, but no promises.
    RingStar said:

Question: Do we normally qualify for Mage Stronhold by playing as Shadow Adept in BG II?

For now... after I get the Shade Enclave component done it’ll get disabled though.
    RingStar
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Ehh... can’t test this one for myself since I don’t have a working EET setup. If you post the Setup-shadowadept debug file I might be able to get some information out of that, but no promises.
    For now... after I get the Shade Enclave component done it’ll get disabled though.

Thanks! File should be here.