Skip to content

[v3.4] Aura, a gnome artificer NPC for BG:EE + SoD

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    Shin wrote: »
    Endarire wrote: »
    EET compatibility?
    With this mod installed, can other characters become Artificers?
    Yes. Most definitely. You would have to use EE Keeper to do it, but it can be done. You can't do it from the menu during character creation.
    The creator of the mod isn't happy with that being done however, so don't expect any help if there are problems. The mod isn't designed with other characters becoming artificers in mind.
    If you want another character to use Aura's equipment you will either make the character a gnome called Aura, or change the equipment in NearInfinity.

If I remember correctly you also have to do some script editing for the automatons; they're set to only respond to Aura and not the main character or the kit itself.

Otherwise the kit/mod itself mostly works with EET, but isn't currently added to the official compatibility list. This means that EET won't automatically look for Aura's files when you import the BG1/SoD data. You still have to install it onto SoD though (doesn't work with BG2), and so you have to manually add it to the EET import list prior to doing the main EET installation. A caveat is the rune crafting system: iirc it's dependant on UI elements, so depending on if/how you've modified the UI, trying to access rune crafting might crash your game.

Lets hope that these minor problems get sorted out. it is an excellent mod and one which should be made as compatible as possible. Of course sorting out minor problems idn't always a minor rask. :'(
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Lets hope that these minor problems get sorted out. it is an excellent mod and one which should be made as compatible as possible. Of course sorting out minor problems idn't always a minor rask. :'(

Agree, it's an excellent mod, looking forward to the BG2 part. Very likely having both the BG1/SoD and BG2 components in one package will make it easier to install (for EET) too. Like with the current state of the Sirene NPC mod, you can install part 1 on BG1/SoD, import it through EET and then install part 2 on top of that, but it causes some small hiccups with overwrites.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    What a great mod, really looking forward to bg2 version. You keep setting the bar higher and higher, highly recommend playing this one if you haven't already.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Sorry everyone, been absent for the last few months due to studies, but I'm looking to ease back into modding. Since Aura-EET is a priority update I'm working on that first, but I was planning on doing a few other changes that have been slowed down due to being really rusty with modding. That said, I'm attaching a version of the mod that should be properly EET-compatible. Install this on an EET game - not BG1! There are no changes aside currently aside from the compatibility update, so only install this if you want to do compatibility testing. I'll have v3.0 proper out sometime at the end of the month, probably.
    ShinmasteralephIsewein
    Looking forward to that! :)
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,052
    This update was quite helpful to read through, this actually helped show me that you need to have your areas use EET's conventions, which I forgot about, so I'll be doing the same changes myself. Looking forward to this mod's BG2 content being finished someday.
    Son_of_Imoenilduderino
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @AionZ Thankee!

As part of the full 3.0 release, may we get the artificer kit as a kit for all player characters as well?
    @AionZ Thankee!

As part of the full 3.0 release, may we get the artificer kit as a kit for all player characters as well?

It is already available if you use EE Keeper.
    I asked about this in the past and the author didn't want it available to all.
    ThacoBell
    @AionZ
    As part of a Project Infinity mod list install for EET, Aura 3.0 didn't install correctly and I'm unsure why.

Details: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60707-project-infinity-mass-mod-install-take-2-for-eet-on-windows-10-help/?p=608669
    @Endarire

Ah bugger. Crossmod talks were looking into the wrong directory. This is a fixed version.
    ThacoBell
    edited March 2020
    (Ignore this.)
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    At the risk of sounding like an ungrateful troll, I really don't like the recent changes to class mechanics, (runestones and healing arrows.) (this is strictly about how the class works. Aura is by far one of, if not *the* best NPC ever written for BG!!!)

I totally get wanting to nip power gamers in the butt, and not allow stockpiles of powerful runes, but I think the way it was done just becomes too cumberson. Having to re-cast runes at every rest, or every other rest, in case you'll use them, just becomes a much more manual spell book chore. And why even have a storage squirrel for Runes?? If this indeed the direction you want for runes, maybe the rune selection should instead configure/add "Special" buttons that automatically refresh on rest.

The Healing arrows are also just a pain,,, switch ammo, shoot once, then stop shooting, (because there is no shoot one button), wait 10 seconds, then shoot again, repeat a couple times, then switch ammo again,, it makes the 60 gold for healing potions look like a bargain.
    Wise_Grimwald
    Trust me, even if you didn't bring it up I'd probably end up overhauling the artificer again within a few patches. We'll see what I can do with it in the future.
    Wise_GrimwaldGusinda
    @AionZ
    Greetings!

I've not yet tested it, but I heard that Aura as a multiclass Priest doesn't work properly with Faiths & Powers likely due to the Spheres system. May we get a fix for this for Aura?

Thankee!
  • grainne6grainne6 Member Posts: 2
    I think there is an issue with Aura and The Tweaks Anthology component Move NPCs to Convenient Locations gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/tweaks/
    I moved Alora to Gullykin. When I had the Aura mod installed, even without Aura in the party, there was a stutter when I met Alora. Alora keeps repeating her first line, she follows the party around and won't join. Uninstalling Aura fixed this and I had no issue in previous games when I didn't have Aura installed.
    Updated to v3.0. I don't see any reason why this version shouldn't be EET-compatible, but I can't say for sure.

Rebalanced Artificer Kit
    The artificer has had a few changes which shouldn't change its strength too much. The -1 THAC0 penalty per 6 levels is now a flat -4 at 1st level - however, a new ability mitigates it somewhat:
    • Analytical Archery: The artificer gains Intelligence bonuses to ranged THAC0 in addition to Dexterity.
    The Intelligence bonus is the same as that of Dexterity of the same value, so Aura's starting 19 Intelligence grants her a +3 bonus, and will increase at 21 and 24 just like Dexterity. I wanted her intelligence to have some actual gameplay effect besides a small lore bonus. I tried giving her equivalent thieving bonuses as well, but that ended up making her thief skills far too good. Of course, since this bonus only applies to range, her melee abilities are non-existent now. Keep her out of the frontline at all cost.

Reworked Priestess Kit
    I was very lazy with the priestess when I first made it, since it was basically an excuse to deny her heavy armor and cleric weapons which I felt weren't fitting for her. The priestess now gets Prot-Evil 10' Radius from 1st level and per 10 levels, and True Sight at level 6. It also gets a new ability:

SPIRITUAL BLESSING: The priestess invokes a prayer to heavenly spirits, bestowing a random blessing upon the target. There is a 25% chance of gaining +2 THAC0 and +10% increased damage, a 25% chance of gaining +2 to Luck and Saving Throws, and a 25% chance of gaining +2 to Armor Class and +10% resistance to all damage. Regardless of the blessing, the target is also healed for ten hit points and cured of all diseases and poisons. However, the fickle nature of spirits means there is a 25% chance that no blessing is granted at all. From 12th level onwards, Spiritual Blessing is cast in a 15-ft. radius around the priestess, affecting all allies.

Reduced maximum hit points for multiclasses
    The priestess/artificer has a permanent -40% maximum hit points effect, and the illusionist/artificer -20% as a rough equivalent of the kit's d4 hit points, since multi-class kits can't have their own hit die.

Reduced prices on Advanced Alchemy potions and explosives
    The prices on the potions and explosives were honestly so high I'd be surprised if anyone used them consistently. They're much cheaper now, and the max quantity has been increased significantly as well.

Fixed a few item weights - removed weight on Sunshooter
    Considering Aura only has a carrying capacity of 50lb, I felt it was unfair to give her undroppable items weight, even if the Sunshooter was only 2lbs. The armor also was one of the unintentional causes of her encumbrance issues, since it weighed 15lbs instead of 10lbs as it was meant to.

Aura's Bandolier is now a Potion Bag, which she has from joining
    I didn't see the reason to delay the item till the end of her quest. It is now an undroppable item in her inventory.

Reworked Lightning Arrow to act as IWD-style Chain Lightning
    Because the line-target lightning bolt effect is extremely annoying to use and sometimes won't even hit its primary target.

Craft Rune no longer works with sequencer menus
    It was too annoying to use frequently and also caused issues for EET, so I've replaced it with a simpler and more compatible system.

Added crossmod with Skitia's Recorder
    Thanks, @Skitia.
    Wise_GrimwaldThacoBellFina92
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Dang it. I just got a new modded install up last night. This always happens :D
    megamike15
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Of course it does. it's all because of that fellow Murphy. :D
    ThacoBell
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited April 2020

yep every single time i have my mod set up all put together a mod gets updated like an hour later.
    ThacoBell
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    megamike15 wrote: »

yep every single time i have my mod set up all put together a mod gets updated like an hour later.

If I start my well overdue EET run only to find out that @swit released eagerly anticipated IWD-in-EET, I'm gonna explode :p
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

The funniest thing? It seems to ALWAYS be Aura that updates. Its remarkably consistent.
    megamike15
    edited April 2020

The funniest thing? It seems to ALWAYS be Aura that updates. Its remarkably consistent.

It’s because of the kit. I keep changing it and I assure you I will continue changing it, because I find that I constantly change my mind regarding how it should function every other day. There’s a reason Aura’s already on v3.0.
    megamike15ThacoBell
    @AionZ As any design engineer will tell you, it is possible to tweak and tweak and tweak ad infinitum. There comes a time however when you just have to say to yourself. OK, it's now good enough to go into production and after that you only tweak it if a major fault turns up. (This is true for all products ranging from cars to corkscrews). IMO the kit has been fine for some time and your time would be better spent designing something new unless there are consistent complaints on the fora. (You will always have complaints from individuals who would like some tweaks and every change that you make will in all likelihood have some unforseen effect.)
    Son_of_Imoenevildevil97
    @AionZ May we get the accuracy and EXP penalties as options?

What about making this a general kit for anyone?

What about BGII content?
    @AionZ May we get the accuracy and EXP penalties as options?

What about making this a general kit for anyone?

The writer has previously said that she doesn't want this kit to be available to anyone. That being said, with the magic of EE Keeper, it is.
    Updated to v3.1 - the Crossmod edition.
    • Fixed rest banter with Lava's Verr'Sza
    • Added crossmod with Skitia's Emily and Rhaella's Isra
    Many thanks to both authors for being patient with me and helping me with these banters. Where is the crossmod for Drake and Sirene, you may ask? Blame my lack of creativity for that one. They are coming, though.
    megamike15ThacoBell
    Please redownload the mod if you've already installed 3.1 - I missed an important line to include the crossmod content, which I've stealth patched. Sorry!
    v3.11 - Mini-update that adds a new effect to Aura's amulet. The amulet protects her from a single instance of lethal damage, which then becomes inactive for 8 hours, or if Aura is raised from the dead (engine limitation).
    Wise_GrimwaldThacoBell
  • themoleiumthemoleium Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2020
    Hi there, I've been encountering an issue with Chapter 4 not firing when you get the letters in the Bandit Camp. I was initially playing with Sirene, Aura and Emily. Seems Aura is the problem, here's what I did:
    • Tested Sirene only, no problem (Sirene only mod installed).
    • Tested Aura only and Chapter 4 wouldn't start when I took the letters (Aura only mod installed).
    • Found an old no-mod party and tested with Aura installed but without ever talked to her, still couldn't start Chapter 4.

Wise_Grimwald
    @themoleium
    • Fixed game-breaking global script bug
    • Added crossmod with Skitia's Emily, Helga, Kale, Vienxay
    Okay, that chapter 4 issue turned out to be caused by a much bigger issue that I'm glad got noticed. It's fixed now.
    megamike15ThacoBell