Skip to content

Be Legal mod

HarpyProductionsHarpyProductions Member Posts: 20
edited January 2018 in General Modding
download link:

https://mega.nz/#!8FZ3VLSI!0VwL2pVIwlDXIAflf3p6aP3rQj2VRwfg1wFwW48RR_c

What i want to do with this mod

mod Unkillable and illegal npcs to make them killable and with legal stats. no railroading. if you want your players to not kill your npcs, you should not aggravate the players into killing these npcs.
Nuke the uninterruptible spells so they can be interrupted. if a mage dont want to be interrupted while he cast spell he should have hired a fighter to body block and protect him while he cast spells.

Scripted railroading too. if that mage wants to teleport you to do his job and can't do it without freezing time so you cant interrupt him, he should have hired fighters to hold you while he casts spells.
also the guard in candlekeep. lockin you in a game over scenario where you cant fight back.

No mage will ever cast again while you shove a great sword down his throat.

Remove overpowered weapons and itens given to npc just so you cant beat'em in a fair fight.

I do not know all the npcs who are illegal and/or immortal. so if you want to help me fix the mess this unexperienced gm did, name them on the comments.
Name npc with more hp, armor class and resistences than they should have.
with itens that make them invincible or just not legal by the D&D rules. or that you think was given to him just to railroad you, even thought that item is real in D&D.
Scripts that locks you in a cutscene where you cant fight back, etc.

what i got so far:

Aldeth:
legalized resistences.
Bayard:
legalized resistences.
Dalton:
Legalized hp.

Death knight:
Stats are now consistent every place you meet him.

Duke Eltan:
Legalized hp.

Drelike:
Legalized armor class.
legalized resistences.
Drizzt:
Nuked illegal number of atacks per round, armor class, saves and resistences.

Elmister.
Legalized health and armor class
legalized resistences

Gorion:

Legalized HP.

Jardak:
Legalized resistences.

Koveras
Legalized hp to be legal.
Legalized armor class to be legal.
Changed his sword for a long sword (i dont know what is special about his sword. but is not a default sword. i changed it to be a normal sword to make sure it is not a illegal weapon).

Obe:
Legalized HP.
Legalized armor class.

Sarevok:
Legalized HP.
Legalized armor class.
Scar:
Legalized HP.
Legalized armor class.

Shandalar:
Legalized armor class and resistences.

Tethtoril:
Legalized HP.
Legalized armor class.
Nuked resistences
Now casts an actual spell when you atack him, instead of the insta kill lightning bolt

Ulrant:
Legalized HP.
Legalized armor class.

Winski Perorate:
Legalized HP.
Legalized armor class.

Shandalar cant force teleport you when you refuse to do his job when you are with low reputation
if you dont want to do his job you will just start shoving you sword down his troath and interrupt his casting. there is no way he would sucefully cast that teleporting spell on you if not for the railroading stupidity. (not Tested)

Changed the name of the mod to Be Legal.
also if you can think a better name for this mod i would like to hear.
Post edited by HarpyProductions on
RAM021Raduziel

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Be careful with that: some NPCs are unkillable because their death could damage a plot or even lock the game somehow.
    semiticgoddess
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Raduziel said:

Be careful with that: some NPCs are unkillable because their death could damage a plot or even lock the game somehow.

Keep in mind that even if these NPCs were made killable, there's no chance of them dying by accident. They'll only die if you deliberately kill them.

Furthermore, making these characters invincible does not stop the game from being broken when you attack them. If you attack them, they turn hostile, preventing you from talking to them to advance the plot. The only way to salvage this is to charm them and then talk to them, but you can't do this if they have 100% Magic Resistance and perfect saving throws.
    RaduzielsemiticgoddessHarpyProductionsRAM021
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited January 2018
    Here's a list (BG1):

Gorion
    Tethtoril
    Obe
    Ulraunt
    Koveras
    Sarevok (in Ducal Palace)
    Winski Perorate (in Ducal Palace)
    Scar
    Duke Eltan
    Aldeth Sashenstar, Drelik, Jardak, Bayard (they have high Magic Resistance for no reason)
    Drizzt
    Shandalar
    The Warders before you solve their riddles
    Sparring dummies
    Stone Golems in Durlag's Tower
    Durlag's ghost
    Islanne's ghost
    Demonknight (when it kills Ike)
    Dalton (prisoner of the Demonknight)
    Kaishas Gan, Tailas, Karoug (while in human form)
    Baeloth in the Black Pits (you get killed if you attack him too early)
    RaduzielHarpyProductionsRAM021
  • HarpyProductionsHarpyProductions Member Posts: 20

Here's a list (BG1):

Gorion
    Tethtoril
    Obe
    Ulraunt
    Koveras
    Sarevok (in Ducal Palace)
    Winski Perorate (in Ducal Palace)
    Scar
    Duke Eltan
    Aldeth Sashenstar, Drelik, Jardak, Bayard (they have high Magic Resistance for no reason)
    Drizzt
    Shandalar
    The Warders before you solve their riddles
    Sparring dummies
    Stone Golems in Durlag's Tower
    Durlag's ghost
    Islanne's ghost
    Demonknight (when it kills Ike)
    Dalton (prisoner of the Demonknight)
    Kaishas Gan, Tailas, Karoug (while in human form)
    Baeloth in the Black Pits (you get killed if you attack him too early)

not sure that changing sparring dummies is really needed.
    even if they really offend the pc they are not even alive for the pc to have revenge on them anyway.

the demonknight and baeloth i will have to work harder
    demonknight should not reapper on the last level of the tower to fight the player. i will have to change a lot of things. some dialogues. but if i recall right, even without the demon knight you still have reasons to explore the tower.
    i was thinking i would just need to change some illegal stats and remove immortality itens.
    but it seems i need to learn more about moding

i think baeloth has canon powers to insta kill you.
    the ring he puts on the player. does not it kills the player if he goes against the geas? or something like that?
    as far as i know this geas stuff is real in D&D, and it can do such thing.

it makes sense to change the guards in candlekeep library to not insta kill you in a cutscene. because if they had this power, to insta kill anyone while paralysing them without save. i doupt they woult not use it to solve all the world problem that are caused by evil guys. or worst, become themselves evil and go using this power to their advantage. but Baeloth is not the same thing.

thanks, i will start working
    RAM021
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    From the modding technical point of view this is pretty trivial, just a bit of labour since you need to look at each case individually. There is no pattern for protecting those NPCs. Then you need to look at what will break in the game if they are killed (just in case you even care).
    Just keep in mind that those guys were protected just to prevent their accidental death that prevents a plot to go on. What would be the real justification for your mod. A protagonist with a bloodthirst to kill everything?
    HarpyProductions

From the modding technical point of view this is pretty trivial, just a bit of labour since you need to look at each case individually. There is no pattern for protecting those NPCs. Then you need to look at what will break in the game if they are killed (just in case you even care).
    Just keep in mind that those guys were protected just to prevent their accidental death that prevents a plot to go on. What would be the real justification for your mod. A protagonist with a bloodthirst to kill everything?

the reason its because these NPCs may do things that anoy the pc, insults that may not be tolerable to the morals compass or lack of moral compass of the pc. and thus the pc may want to teach them respect.
    so the NPC may pratice the new found good manners in hell.

remember many years ago when i first played this game. i was in TOB and the woman i forgot the name (its the final boss) said something i dont remember what it was. i think she revealed to be manipulating me to do her will, i really dont remember.
    My reaction was: what did you said B****? and i try to kill her. well i actualy forgot that my character would react by killing her. so i let this one skip unpunished, as many other npcs escaped my wrath because i forgot to roleplay.
    But this time i will play again the same way as before. i will not forget, and no NPC will be unkillable. things will be so messed up, the consequences will be awesome. just imagine you get to the end of TOB and there is no one to absorb the power of the fallen bhaal spawns but you. i was even thinking about recording this gameplay and post on youtube, showcasing the consequences of making important npcs offending the wrong pc

i also wonder if it is possible to mod lasting consequences from a game to another. like if i kill a recurring character. i guess some npc would be ressurrected. but others like
    Hexxat. no one knew her but me. and i killed her near her coffin when we first met her. there is no way she ressurrected
    these need to stay dead.

another thing i will do is mod alternative ways to accomplish things.
    the begining of the game. if you kill gorion you cant leave candlekeep. i would need to create an alternative way out. maybe someone near the gate, scared by your killing, just let you go. or you can open the gate yourself.

anyway, by experience, all the reasons one can think to not have these characters die is just the false dilemma. you think there is no other way to do this but let them live. but that is becuase you only have 1 brain, you cant think on all alternatives. if you talk with enough people you will eventualy find an alternative. and that is also another thing i will do, talk with people for ideas of alternative ways to do things.
    an example of a false dilema that the moding comunity solved is in baldurs gate 2 when you have to pick one of the 2 factions. but both are evil and good pc would not work with either.
    someone made a mod with an alternative faction. but it is not even needed to create new factions and npcs to solve this.
    you could just take the money you would give to these factions and go to the port and ask for captains of the ships if anyone is interested in money.
    obviously as you are not using a middle man to negotiate with the ship owner, you will even have to spend less money, as the guys on the faction obviously are getting a share of all that money. i think you can even skip 1 entire chapter by doing this.
    RAM021
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2018
    What I like about large modded games is that the mods are compatible with each other. This way Alternatives (the mod with the alternatives to get to Brynnlaw) is compatible with every other mod. One that skips a whole chapter is not.
    Same would be for killing Gorion. You can do that but every dialogue or mod that assumes that Gorion was killed by Sarevok will be invalid.
    A mod that claims it's you either this and you can't use many others is problematic. Another NEJ, so to say.
    edited January 2018
    dialogue about gorion can be changed too.

also skiping chapter problem probably can, you can just not do this part of the mod. or dont play a mod that need the skipped chapter

i probably can skip chapter by trigering the completition of the chapter instantly and starting the next

edit: also what is NEJ?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    FYI, some NPCs have animations that make them invincible (e.g., Volo). It's not a function of AC, HP, or resistances. The animations make them immortal.
    semiticgoddessRaduzielHarpyProductions

FYI, some NPCs have animations that make them invincible (e.g., Volo). It's not a function of AC, HP, or resistances. The animations make them immortal.

but animation can just be modded too right?
    edited January 2018
    forgot to mention i will also remove overpowered weapons that where given to these npcs with the solo purpose to railroad the player.
    if anyone can list it to make my job easier.

Finished editing the illegal stats. now i will try and solve the script problems

Edit. i just realised i put this mod on the general moding instead of BGEE moding section. can some Moderator move this to the right place or i need to recreate this on the right place?
    Post edited by HarpyProductions on