Skip to content

[MOD] Bubb's Spell Menu (v5.0.1)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    edited December 2019
    To be honest, the vanilla version is very hacky:
    1. All spells have to be renamed to a UUID, with this UUID being replaced with the real name at runtime. This means all external programs will report UUIDs for spell names, not the real names.

2. There's no way to discern a spell's disabled state in vanilla. This means that if a spell is "greyed-out" in the vanilla casting menu, the spell menu will display it as if it could be cast. Of course if you try to cast a disabled spell, the engine will just reject the request.

3. Memorization counts for Innate spells can't be obtained.

4. Detecting anything that opens spell selection without using the GUI, (Opcode #214 / hotkey), can be flimsy.

And there's probably more that I've forgotten. These problems are what inspired me to start investigating a way to overcome hardcoded hurdles, (and that investigation turned into EEex). The EEex version of the mod solves all of these problems, but unfortunately EEex is currently Windows only, as you know.

So, from all the above, I'd say it's not worth it right now. Work is slow, but I'm trying to get EEex into a state where it could be run on Mac. There's no time frame right now, but hopefully that's something to look forward to.

Edit: And to actually answer your question, there should be no conflicts between kjeron's spell-learning UI, regardless of the above issues.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Heh, I could definitely give the vanilla version some love if you're still interested in using it. It's currently still sitting on the old codebase, which does some funny things with v2.5.16.6+
    That sounds odd, since the normal UI displays the number of uses of innate abilities just fine. Can this mod not do that? Or do I misunderstand you?

The vanilla UI is hardcoded gibberish half the time. The engine knows about the spell's memorization count, but doesn't feel the need to tell anyone else. For reference, all the exposed code that controls the first actionbar button is literally this:
    button
    {
        area 68 1 52 52
        actionBar 0
        enabled "buttonArray:GetButtonEnabled(0)"
        tooltip lua "actionBarTooltip[0]"
        action "buttonArray:OnLButtonPressed(0)"
        actionAlt "buttonArray:OnRButtonPressed(0)"
    }

The only thing the spell menu can do to identify spells is check their tooltip, (hence the UUID renaming). Everything else about the spell, including memorization count, rendering the icon, casting the spell when it's pressed, is all hardcoded engine-side. The *only* reason I can access wizard/cleric spell memorization counts in vanilla is because it's exposed in the spell book, a completely different place in the UI.
  • ArjukKagrimArjukKagrim Member Posts: 44
    First of all: This mod is my favorite GUI and now mandatory when playing casters. Good work!

One feature which I would appreciate is the possibility to disable the auto-pause during spell selection. In some cases (e.g. when buffing pre-battle) this would be very convenient.
    Bubb
    @ArjukKagrim: Hi Arjuk, glad you are enjoying the mod! :)

You should be able to disable the autopause using the spell-menu's options:
    6u8x3195ux63.jpg
    6tqducv9ljwl.jpg
    fearlessFlashburnleeux
    Thanks I lot, I have overlooked the settings somehow :#
    Working like a charm now :)
  • razaraza Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2020
    sorry, wrong thread, plz delete this message
    Are there still any plans to make the mod work without EEex?
  • mhoghedinmhoghedin Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2020
    This mod is soooo what I need :) Is this compatible with EET? I tried to install it on my currently modded EET SoD folder and I didn't get any result :(

**Edit: I figured out that I had to install it in my BG2EE folder not BGEE folder. This mod rocks!
    Post edited by mhoghedin on
    leeuxBubb
  • NadoenNadoen Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2020
    Good Day,

I installed this mod on Vanilla BG2EE (Steam version) and have that error on game start:

1p2ebw1gjhn9.png

No errors in install logs. Obviously mod does not work, but game starts after confirming this message.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Edit:

Doesn't matter, EEex is required xD.
  • QuitschiQuitschi Member Posts: 11
    Hey, I really like your spell menu, unfortunately I am experienceing a crash in spellhold with EEex. After talking to irenicus the game crashes.
    Is the link in the firt post to EEex the current version or did I download an old verson by accident?
  • QuitschiQuitschi Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2020
    So I made a fresh setup with just EEex and the spell menu and it doesn't crash at spellhold with a freshly started game, so it must have been some interference with something some other mod did to the savegame.
    Anyways, with an EET setup, what is the recommended install order for the spell menu mod? After or before the EET installaton?

Edit:
    So I tried another configuration, but to no avail, this crash is absolutely persistent. Is it possible that EEex is just not compatible with EET at all?
    Post edited by Quitschi on
    @Quitschi I use EEex and can play (after I sorted out some issues with Radeon Software) Spellhold on an EET installation without crashes. However I cannot play SoD with EEex (Korlazs tomb works, but after returning to ducal palace entering the city it crashes all frequently in the city (possibly too many actors ?)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Bubb I may have encountered an incompatibility with Tome and Blood. I'm not sure if this is the right place to report it, because the other candidate is EEex. Since both are your mods, I may as well report it here. Short story first. I'm preparing an epic EET installation via Project Infinity tool which contains both EEex, Bubb's Spell Menu and two of @OlvynChuru's mods dependent of EEex (Epic Thieving and Olvyn Spells). During installation I've got errors with two components of Tome and Blood mod: Multiclass sorcerers and Revised Illusionary clones. I'm attaching debug files for both errors and my Project Infinity install order.

Someone at G3 forums suggested the culprit might be EEex. So in my latest test installation I have removed EEex, Bubb's Spell Menu, Epic Thieving and Olvyn Spells from install order (didn't change anything more) and the result was T&B both components installed correctly. My own suspicion is more likely to be incompatibility with your Spell Menu rather than EEex, since it's change the way spells are selectable in game and Multiclass sorcerers allows for some unusual multiclass combinations.

I would be grateful if you could look into this and tell me if this is something that you could fix on your end (i.e by adding compatibility code) or the fix is needed to be done by T&B authors. In second case I'll notify @Aquadrizzt and subtledoctor. I really would love to play with Bubb's Spell Menu.

What I'll about to do, is to run next test install with EEex and both mentioned @OlvynChuru's mods, without Spell Menu, just to confirm if the culprit is indeed Spell Menu. If the error remains, EEex will be the likely culprit, because Epic Thieving is later in the install order than T&B and Olvyn Spells just adding new spells.
    edited April 2020
    @Cahir: Appears to be Olvyn Spells, removing it from a sample install gets rid of the errors. One of the errors is complaining about not having enough SPELL.IDS slots, but I wouldn't know the details - summoning @OlvynChuru

Note that both EEex and the extended spell menu touch very few files during installation. Base EEex adds a line to the top of UI.MENU and appends a few entries to some of the scripting IDS files. The extended skills and damage absorption components do more significant changes to UI.MENU, but that's the extent of their non-EEex file patches. The spell menu uses EEex trickery to dynamically load itself in, so it doesn't even alter any files.

I guess what I'm getting at is EEex and the spell menu are very unlikely to cause any install conflicts - you'll see any bugs associated with them in-game ;)
    edited April 2020
    Bubb wrote: »
    @Cahir: Appears to be Olvyn Spells, removing it from a sample install gets rid of the errors. One of the errors is complaining about not having enough SPELL.IDS slots, but I wouldn't know the details - summoning @OlvynChuru

Note that both EEex and the extended spell menu touch very few files during installation. Base EEex adds a line to the top of UI.MENU and appends a few entries to some of the scripting IDS files. The extended skills and damage absorption components do more significant changes to UI.MENU, but that's the extent of their non-EEex file patches. The spell menu uses EEex trickery to dynamically load itself in, so it doesn't even alter any files.

I guess what I'm getting at is EEex and the spell menu are very unlikely to cause any install conflicts - you'll see any bugs associated with them in-game ;)

@Bubb thank you, for quick reply! Dang I was so sure that it's Spell Menu that I started new installation without it but with Olvyn Spells and Epic Thievery. Need to abort and restart without Olvyn Spells...

Edit: I'll try to put Olvyn Spells *after* T&B. I *think* one of my test installs when I put Olvyn Spells after SCS I didn't have this T&B errors, but I'm not sure.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Cahir I just tried installing Tome and Blood first and then EEex and OlvynSpells after that, and it installs fine. The bigger worry is that Tome and Blood isn't very compatible with OlvynSpells in general right now. Tome and Blood makes a lot of patches to spells to let stuff like spontaneous casting, multi-classed sorcerers and other things work. The spells from my mod might not receive those patches if Tome and Blood is installed after my mod, and they definitely won't if Tome and Blood is installed first. So some of the features of Tome and Blood won't work with the new spells.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    @Cahir I just tried installing Tome and Blood first and then EEex and OlvynSpells after that, and it installs fine. The bigger worry is that Tome and Blood isn't very compatible with OlvynSpells in general right now. Tome and Blood makes a lot of patches to spells to let stuff like spontaneous casting, multi-classed sorcerers and other things work. The spells from my mod might not receive those patches if Tome and Blood is installed after my mod, and they definitely won't if Tome and Blood is installed first. So some of the features of Tome and Blood won't work with the new spells.

@OlvynChuru yeah, as much as I would love to play your mod, Tome and Blood Features are essential kit mod for my run, so I would need to skip it this time. Other than the points you're pointed out, Faiths and Powers sphere system would not count divine spells from OS into consideration, so I would basically not see any divine spells from OS in game. Those spells would be there but none of divine class would take it into consideration in their spell list. Not sure if the patch that would adapt Olvyn Spells would need to be added to F&P or Olvyn Spells.

Anyway, my install order that threw me this error on Multiclass Sorcerer component was EEex -> Olvyn Spells -> T&B. When I changed it to EEex -> T&B -> Olvyn Spells, the error was gone.
  • MilesTegMilesTeg Member Posts: 12
    For anyone who's interested in a non-EEex game (e.g. android tablet): I just installed an older version (1.5) and adjusted the UI.menu to v2.5.16.6 (attached). Seems to work fine for now :)

https://github.com/Bubb13/Bubbs-Spell-Menu-Extended/releases/tag/v1.5

thx for this great mod, Bubb!
    Bubb
  • MilesTegMilesTeg Member Posts: 12
    Before I completely forget about it:

Here are UI.menu-files for BG2EE LeUI4.0 and BG2EE Vanilla. Both use BubbsSpellMenuV2.4 and are version 2.5.16.6 compatible. As before this version doesn't need EEx.

install:
    [optional: install LeUI]
    - DL & install Bubbs-Spell-Menu-Extendedv2.4
    (use overwrite option otherwise install crashes)
    - use the UI.menu from this post and overwrite the file in your override directory

Note: This is untested & probably incompatible with other games/more UI fixes.
    I applied all changes by hand. ~30 changes see 'source' dir for more infos.
    GusindaTulgas
  • tomasz86tomasz86 Member Posts: 5
    The mod is great.

However, is there any reason why the installation is blocked on BG:EE without SoD?

I have removed
    REQUIRE_PREDICATE (NOT GAME_IS ~bgee~ OR GAME_INCLUDES ~sod~)

from the installer to allow installation in BG:EE. The spell menu seems to work just fine.
    That check was to make sure Steam users had properly merged their SoD DLC, as any modding without doing that breaks the install.

I admit though that I assumed everyone would be playing with SoD; it is safe to remove that check if you are playing without SoD. It might be possible to make the installer a bit smarter by checking for the DLC .zip itself and block based on that, instead of assuming it's there.
    tomasz86
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited September 2020
    @Bubb
    Since I plan to use the Extended mod plus LeUI (BG1EE version) and EEUITweaks, what should be my install order of these?

Also, according to your screenshots, the normal version at least categorizes the spell schools by the name of the specialty. (Illusion spells are "Illusionist" spells, etc.) May we have this fixed?

Thankee!
    Post edited by Endarire on
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2020
    This mod is a life saver for wild mage chaos shield casts. Wasted a lot of time on clicks before installed it.
    Used it with lefreut's Enhanced UI , seems it was version by @MilesTeg
    Small detail I'd prefer - no text search field at all. Sometimes you press space accidentally and it lags spell selection.
    Ludwig_II
  • PathologicPathologic Member Posts: 6
    There's no way to lock the spell selection icons open despite the game field being interactible is there?

This mod is great, but for me the next step in usability which lead me to it in the first place is that I really just want what this is but permanantly available. I'm guessing not given the current implementation seems like it modifies what is shown when you click the spell cast button (F7), but here's hoping!
  • Eleshar_VermillionEleshar_Vermillion Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2021
    @Bubb
    This is an absolutely great mod! I have just run into a bug with the whole darkening background thingie. Whenever I open any menu (main, character, journal,..., after a few seconds, the whole screen starts going very dark. The same happens when I enter an interior. I tried fiddling with the Darken Background and Modal settings but no matter what is disabled or enabled, the screen goes dark anyway (maybe when they are disabled, it is slightly less dark but still too much). When I close the menu or go outside, the screen lightens up again. Also when I alt-tab to another window, the screen continues to be dark for a second or two until it gradually reverses to the dfault brightness.

Any idea what might be the issue?

JFC... Pls ignore. It is nothing related to the mod, just my toddler fiddled with my monitor settings and somehow set up adaptive darkening... *facepalm*
  • BrecherBrecher Member Posts: 47
    I'm currently playing BG2EE 2.5 with Spell Menu Extended: 3.5 + EEex 0.8.6 installed and noticed that lvl 9 spells are selectable for Chain Contingency.
    Could it be related to these mods?

WeiDU.log
    // Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS/SETUP-SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Skip Chateau Irenicus: 3.1
    ~SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS/SETUP-SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS.TP2~ #0 #101 // Deal with skipped NPCs -> Vanilla NPCs only: 3.1
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1160 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> No Restrictions (Baldurdash): v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Increase Ammo Stack Size -> Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Increase Gem and Jewelry Stacking -> Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Increase Potion Stacking -> Unlimited Potion Stacking: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Increase Scroll Stacking -> Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3170 // No Drow Avatars On Party In Underdark: v9
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3341 // Increase party movement speed outside combat -> By 100 percent: v9
    ~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Anvil: v6.52
    ~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tower Of Deception Mod (Requires Throne Of Bhaal): v4.0.1
    ~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Astral Shard Guardian: v4.0.1
    ~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #2 // Encounter with Ustrain: v4.0.1
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #100 // NPCs will not complain about reputation and leave: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #102 // Simplified economy: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #103 // Disable hardened spellhold: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #104 // Remove traps & locks: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #202 // Custom kit: Minsc -> Berserker: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #204 // Custom kit: Valygar -> Vagrant: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #212 // Custom kit: Korgan -> Dwarven Defender: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #213 // Custom kit: Keldorn -> Undead Hunter: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #214 // Custom kit: Anomen -> Ranger->Cleric: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #300 // The Gypsy questline and the Limak encounter are available for non-mage protagonists: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #301 // The Shimmering Light and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly quest lines are available for non-ranger protagonists: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #302 // Non-essential class- and kit-based drops are available to all protagonists: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #303 // Mage- and ranger-specific rewards and crafted items are available for all protagonists: v1.02
    ~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #304 // Enable the hardest versions of XP-based encounters in Chapters 2&3: v1.02
    ~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #0 // EEex: 0.8.6
    ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Portraits Portraits Everywhere (PPE) - core component: 1.01
    ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ #0 #100 // Category Portraits (Recommended) -> Sequenced: 1.01
    ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ #0 #10 // Isandir's CHARNAME Portraits: 1.01
    ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ #0 #20 // Replace Low Quality TOB & SOA Portraits: 1.01
    ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ #0 #25 // Edwin/Edwina: 1.01
    ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ #0 #30 // Ust Natha Drow NPCs: 1.01
    ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ #0 #35 // Vampire NPCs: 1.01
    ~DRAGONSPEAR_UI++/DRAGONSPEAR_UI++.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install SoD GUI Overhaul Core Component: v2.41
    ~DRAGONSPEAR_UI++/DRAGONSPEAR_UI++.TP2~ #0 #2 // Add Transparent Tooltip Background: v2.41
    ~DRAGONSPEAR_UI++/DRAGONSPEAR_UI++.TP2~ #0 #3 // Update several strings in Dialog.tlk: v2.41
    ~DRAGONSPEAR_UI++/DRAGONSPEAR_UI++.TP2~ #0 #9 // Select Number of Quicksave Slots -> 6: v2.41
    ~DRAGONSPEAR_UI++/DRAGONSPEAR_UI++.TP2~ #0 #10 // Update portrait Picker: v2.41
    ~BUBB_SPELL_MENU_EXTENDED/SETUP-BUBB_SPELL_MENU_EXTENDED.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bubb's Spell Menu Extended: 3.5
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Neither the spell menu nor EEex tweak Chain Contingency to hold 9th level spells. If I had to guess, it's probably Improved Anvil.
    Bubb
  • BrecherBrecher Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for your response.

Hmm...you might be right.
    Mods affecting SPWI908.SPL:
    00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ 0 0 // Improved Anvilv6.52

But SPWI908.SPL has a correctly set #234 Maximum Spell level = 8.
    Do you have an idea what else it could be?