Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The Adventures of Tilly Wigglebottom (4th page re-start)

Comments

• salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Ah, sorry, I was just venting my frustration that such a ridiculous word even exists at all.

For the record QUAYLE IS AMAZING!

SCARY_WIZARD
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    You need 9 Int to use most (all?) scrolls

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,344
    Shin said:

Wigglebottom...

Shaking that ass...

lordkimCrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
  • typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,702
    Ugh... I'm taking this game too hardcore and I'm making myself sick from worry. Even if I played my normal role as well-developed thief, I doubt even then that I could go through with all the rules I've specified. Wizardry 8 is the game I know for ironman; not this. If you want to follow hardcore playthroughs, check out Quartz for sure and Sandman if he will recount any of his tales. n.n

Tomorrow, I'll compare Normal and Core difficulties then see what I want to do. This will be a... softcore game? With... Tilly Wigglebottom. Umhmm softcore and wigglebottom?... *-) no this doesn't sound dirty at all. *sighs* -_-' *feels worse*

@Shin @Oxford_Guy
    Wigglebottom actually refers to my difficulty in sitting still. Attention! n_n It's hard not to get distracted or move around! n.n Wigglebottom would be a great name for a kender! :D

booinyoureyeslolien
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    If you want to avoid the horrible reload, drink a potion of insight/intelligence before scribing your spells. ;)

Oxford_Guybooinyoureyes
    oh that's smart! Will do :3 I've never played a magic user before! ^_^

lolien
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    It's a good trick, and its only temporary. Good for roleplaying too, as I recall, those intelligence boosting potions are not all that common until you make it to BG.

lolien

It's a good trick, and its only temporary. Good for roleplaying too, as I recall, those intelligence boosting potions are not all that common until you make it to BG.

I do this, as don't like reloading, where possible, though it does mean you have to hoard scrolls for just a few big scribing sessions

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,286
    tilly said:

Hey I'm either going to make a cleric or cleric/mage - with intelligence of 9. (role-playing, mind)...

Hmm. Curious. If a Cleric/Mage will you have fairly high Wisdom, though? Any particular reason for the just-slightly-on-the-low-side-of-normal Int?

lolien
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,355
    Since a Potion of Genuis + a Potion of Mind Focusing = +7 temporary INT points, you might want to wait until you're at a store that sells mage scrolls so you can drink those potions, buy the scrolls you want in your spell book, and then attempt to scribe them on the spot since you'll have double the percentage chance. That way, you can always buy the spells again (that is, if the store has more than one of the same spell in stock) if you fail scribing them the first time.

edited November 2012
    Lemernis said:

tilly said:

Hmm. Curious. If a Cleric/Mage will you have fairly high Wisdom, though? Any particular reason for the just-slightly-on-the-low-side-of-normal Int?

I'm role-playing my attributes :u

And yeah they're a little bit on the low side. I could knock everything up 2-3 points and still be happy, but now I want to see what a low attribute game will be like.

Wisdom is 12 :)

*nods All right, I'll drink the potions before scribing! It sounds a bit like taking stimulants to cheat on an exam. XD Hope the withdrawal is okay. ^_^

lolien
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,286
    Whoa. Hats off to you, Tilly. I'm curious to hear how it goes!

lolien
    ANOTHER WALL OF TEXT FOLLOWS
    Want pictures instead of text? Gaze and marvel at my party's journey :u

Click an image then click left and right arrows to view, class. :3 *waggles*

Yes, there are story spoilers here! Yeesh - don't come to me and whine about spoilers in an "Adventures of-" thread. ^-^ grr

My present party

Blinded enemies >:3
    (Yes, I was almost killed by Carbos... -_-')

"Wait! Are you... Tilly Wigglebottom? I've heard of your prowess." XD Oh Dorn, you sweet man, you. c:

Miscellaneous

Notes on gameplay:

Peldvale enemies - the silly six

Bugs I've seen

Well it's been real. :) Four restarts, thus far.

First game: 'okay, my character sucks... really really... sucks' :|

Second game: 'let's max out dexterity and wisdom like I normal do!' followed by 'I'm just cheating myself out of the challenge.' :c

Third game: 'okay okay, let's create a fighter character so you're good at something!' and 'there's the Rasaad dialogue-loop so I can do this until they fix it' rationalization... followed by 'I'm just cheating myself out of the challenge.' :c

Fourth game: STR 6 / DEX 10 / CON 8 / INT 9 / WIS 12 / CHA 6 / cleric/mage
    c:

So far? I lost count at how many mage spells I failed to scribe! With the price of scrolls, I quickly took to hoarding scrolls then buying a potion of genius... then failing to scribe most scrolls. :) I did buy a potion from a suspect carnival merchant which should grant me 25 intelligence (while bringing dex and con down to 3?). I hope it works. XD I'm saving that big potion for when I get to Baldur's Gate and can presumably buy more spells. Currently, I'm just past the bandit camp and I'll be off to clear out all the wilderness areas before heading over to Cloakwood Forest.

What else? *-) I also lost count of party deaths. I swear I've never seen Khalid and Jaheira be one-hitted so many times! o_O It's almost uncanny, especially considering the smaller monster groups compared to BG1 vanilla. I'm just glad resurrection doesn't cost a lot. :) The party are between levels 3 and 5, right now. Everyone is doing fairly well: Imoen has her crossbow of speed and thiefsy armour, Khalid and Jaheira both have large +1 shields, Kivan is doing great!, Rasaad has... um, the tendency to run ahead of the party and get shot up :u. And Tilly... poor little Tilly. :c

... She rocks! ^-^ Well, not really. But she throws a mean blindness spell! It's saved the party so often, because the enemy will just walk to the last spot it was going towards then stop. :u Then I shoot them up with stones and arrows. n_n Tilly also killed the doomsayer outside of the archeological dig -- with ~20 shots from a 25-charge magic missile wand. XD

Honestly, my cleric/mage stinks -- but doom + blindness is a divine-arcane spell combo you don't want to mess with. ;)

mm I found the tome of charisma and Tilly's charisma shot up from 6 to 7!... :o Charisma hasn't made any real difference in gameplay, aside from Boo not taking a liking to me *pout* Had to get Imoen to talk to Minsc and Boo instead. ._.

Stumbling across a scroll of summon familiar was like finding an oasis!! Tilly now has 29 hitpoints at cleric4/mage3. :3 Tilly now has 2 level 1 mage spells (2 blindness! :D) and 1 level 2 mage spell (strength for Khalid! :D)

Overall, I've been getting better at using casters... if only because I have no choice!... reading spell descriptions and such. I hope I can use intelligence potions to break the '6 spells per mage level only' barrier for having 9 intelligence. Charm has a saving throw of +3, Blindness has a saving throw of +0.

I also have been role-playing. Like after Jaheira sees how, ahem, useless and un-fit for travel Tilly was (low stats everywhere and nary a spell in sight!), Jaheira takes control of the party, acting like a guardian. I started writing up some story to post, but I decided to leave that until finishing the game. Instead, I'm taking tons and tons of screenshots to remind myself of things to write. Briefly in my party were Dorn, Minsc, Branwen, and Neera.

I'm off until around the 20th because of work, though. n.n I just wanted to write 1 update for folks before I disappeared. If a patch increases the size of monster groups to BG1-vanilla levels, I may do a restart. I may lean a bit more hardcore then too, as now I've gotten my sea legs again! :3

My next playthrough might also be in French or German, because it'll be more fun learning through BG than through newspaper articles or lame sitcoms and movies. Bring on the games! :u

The first thing I did upon installation? (Other than listening to that awesome music!!) Opened the credits and read through every single name. Thank you, all. :)

Things I love about the Enhanced Edition. ^__^

The clothing-colour circles around party members! They're not only pretty but functional!
    The action icons on party member portraits!
    The new user interface!
    Resolution fit for recent monitors!
    A game which runs easily in recent computers!
    BG2 classes and kits in BG1 -- with no fuss for running the program!!
    A cuddly cute pseudodragon for my level 1 Tilly Wigglebottom :3
    Bug fixes and proper resolution without installing several mods!
    New portraits, yeh!
    Almost double the number of player voice sets!!
    Zooming! Zoooooom! :D
    Character movement while map is open!
    The new areas!
    The music in the new areas!! :D
    Adorkable little goblins :3 aww, whoever wrote that God bit made me laugh :3 Voice too!
    Adorkable little Rasaad! X3 I'ma pounce you more in, BG2:EE ^_~ To be honest, I had planned to give him the belt of masculinity/femininity. Maybe later, sweety. >:3

A dedicated team of professionals and volunteers who are making BG1 and 2 into a bug-free series for several platforms. Good on ya if you save the day! n_n

swnmcmlxilolienSon_of_Imoen
    Oy. Another update before I'm off again for another while. :)

Tilly Wigglebottom is doing fine. Tilly's Troupe has completed the catacombs and now stands ready for wolf island. >:3

Tilly has rarely died. However, every RPC has died. Several times, in fact. n_n' My game has involved much dragging of corpses to churches. (Heh. What an odd thing to say.) But that's really the difference between being involved in a fight... and standing way back from it, eh? ;)

As a caster, Tilly's low low attributes (a total of 51 at the start; now 57 after tomes) hasn't made much of a difference from my normal play. On 2 or 3 occasions, she's had to chug intelligence-boosting potions in order to learn more spells. (Toting scrolls around is another little burden with this run.) She also only receives 1 or 2 bonus cleric spells - but with another half-healer in the party, things are fine.

Playing with a weak character has just put more stress on the party to make up for it. I scout more. I use ranged attacks more. I use special ammunition more (draining arrows, dispelling arrows). I choose spells more carefully.

The one downside I've run into with this build is... well, it's that I still feel like my character is too strong. I still can't shake that drinking intelligence potions isn't cheating (to me - I don't care how other people play). And in PnP play, INT 9 only allows you to cast level 1 mage spells, and this goes up by 1 mage spell level per every 1 increase in INT. I've come close to deleting all my spells above level 2 because of this. *sighs* But then I think 'why not just restart? then never use spells above level 2'. :)

Overall, it has been fun. :) I'm a better player from going through all this. With that said... I think I'll go back to a fighter class for my next big game. I'm a little obsessed with collecting everything and, as a mage, I want my PC to have absolutely every spell that's out there. XD

Tilly Wigglebottom the absent-minded ADHD librarian... she's coming to get you, Sarevok! ^-^ Tremble with fear... TREMBLE!! ooooh! I can see your hands shaking. >:3 bwhahahaha!!

Tilly Wigglebottom - half-elf cleric/mage
    Starting: STR 6 / DEX 10 / CON 8 / INT 9 / WIS 12 / CHA 6 / cleric/mage
    Present: STR 7 / DEX 11 / CON 9 / INT 10 / WIS 13 / CHA 7 / cleric/mage

Aristilliuslolien
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Digging this thread ^^ But you've got to have a much higher cha than 6 judging from your posts!

Delvarianlolien
    ! aw thank you! :D

*blushes dorkishly* n_n'

I'm high functioning autistic. Text has always come much easier than speech. :)
    ... So Jaheira can handle the talking. :D

Aristilliuslolien
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232

Digging this thread ^^ But you've got to have a much higher cha than 6 judging from your posts!

I completely agree with this. The charisma score is far to low 6-7 is the sort of person you want to punch in the face when you meet them, a person who has absolutely no social skills. I would give Tilly Wigglebottom at least a 12, I mean she's adorable.

AristilliuslolienSon_of_Imoen
    Delvarian said:

I completely agree with this. The charisma score is far to low 6-7 is the sort of person you want to punch in the face when you meet them, a person who has absolutely no social skills. I would give Tilly Wigglebottom at least a 12, I mean she's adorable.
    XD pft!

Well people don't punch me in the face after I stumble out 'hello'...

... More CHA next time! n_n *cheers*

Aristilliuslolien
    Phew... Tilly stinks. ^_^' But she's alive. :)

And in trampling through the remaining wilderness areas, only Khalid and Jaheira have died again :D
    ... They were petrified by a basilisk. Together. d'aww dem couples activities :3

Khalid handled Firewine Bridge alone, with the occasional pitstop for healing. The kobolds may not be respawning constantly, but it still puts me on edge.

Hated Ice Island. Bloody mages and their bloody stupid confusion spells ._. *pout* No one to cast Chaotic Commands, and I don't like using charge items ever. ^_^'

I will say I'm amazed at how decent Rasaad is at level 7. I mean, considering how much guff we give him for his weak BG1EE performance. His THAC0 is better than Jaheira's (when he wears the idiot belt) and he has almost the same hp. His AC is worse; however, I always lead with the -7 AC Khalid. It also helps that Khalid moves faster than him due to the speed boots. Without the speed boots, Rasaad would run ahead and get killed rather quickly.

C:CreateItem("bag03")
    -> because not having that scroll case was really causing papers to pile up! o_O

At any rate, now I am off to Burlag's Sack! :D -- and then to the dreaded Wolf Island -_-

BelgarathMTHHeindrichlolien
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,835
    @typo_tilly

Ya you definitely need a front liner with speed boots if you're using rasaad. I speak from needing my Wizard Slayer to use him. And I was really tempted to give Rasaad the idiot belt on my playthrough, but I felt it fit yeslick better. Furthermore that gave me 2 dwarves with 19 str and 18 dex leading the charge (carefully pulling rasaad behind them). Poor guy rarely got a chance to clean up but wasn't bad overall. He is really good for all the low level undead you encounter in BGEE imo.

Also I found firewine infinitely easier when I started casting invis on my thief at the start, and walking through the entire place disarming traps before finally tackling it with my entire party. Imoen might be a klepto, but she's an extremely careful klepto.

typo_tillylolien
    Ah right - now we can do more things while invisible, eh? :) That's much easier.

Yes, Yeslick is another good candidate for the idiot belt. ^_^ I doubt it lowers his INT much at all. :)

lolien
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,835
    I think Yeslick's int is lowered by 3, and ya he turns into beastmode with Idiot Belt + Dex Bracers. Then use draw upon holy dwarven might (i think of it as an "improved DuHM skill......naturally raising your con that high on a dwarf allows for more drinking primarily right?"), give him stupifier or asheedeen, and watch your warrior and yeslick chunk the living bejesus outta stuff.

Fun Note: gave it to Kagain in my evil group (poor bastard went from 15 int to 6 int), so my Blade, Dorn and Kagain ALL had 19 str. Ya I spent the last chapter making chunky soup.

typo_tillylolien
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,162
    This is so awesome! Personally I thought Wigglebottom would be a great name for a halfling!

jackjacklolien
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,431

This time, I'll be using my estimated real-life stats.
    This time, the attribute total will be... 51. n_n;

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/back/xstattest.html

*grunt* Ooh! Ooh!

booinyoureyesjackjacktypo_tilly
    edited December 2013
    @Scary_wizard

hmm... I'm pretty much a clumsy Aerie

SCARY_WIZARDjackjacktypo_tillylolien
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I seem to be a jackass-of-all-trades. A weak one, at that.

booinyoureyestypo_tillylolien
    To be fair I think the common person is supposed to have around an 8 in all categories, so we seem to all be valiant adventurers!

If I were to travel with @Jackjack and @Scary_Wizard with a couple swords, we'd probably be able to take on a gibberling or two (they better not be diseased)

jackjacktypo_tillylolien