Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The Adventures of Tilly Wigglebottom (4th page re-start)

Comments

• typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,702
    Pseudo Dragon (Apricot or Apri): I am amazed at all the new places I see with you. Everything is so wonderful and so colourful! Is all of the world like this, my Lady? :3

Well... I went through Burlap's Sack last night. :| Glad that's over :D
    Fixed some typos and trampled the demon! ^_^

Does anyone else just throw fireballs across the chess board until all the enemies attack? I never learnt how to play. XD

Why does the Demon Knight say they're undead? Are they are a demon or an undead? ^-^ Or maybe an undead demon! :o With a helmet of opposite alignment. :D

And how do the adventuring kids just skip to the bottom of the dungeon, without wardstones? :| Buggers. -_-

At the end fight I first used the mirror: Demon blew himself up somehow? Died fairly easily.
    I reloaded to do it without the mirror. Khalid and Jaheira died within seconds of each other. Kivan likely killed the Demon Knight, as he did the tanari (sp?).

It was a straightforward fight that lasted less than a minute.
    Shuffling about equipment afterwards, however, took me over an hour! ^_^' Trying to fit all of Khalid's and Jaheira's items onto my 4 characters AND picking up new stuff AND dropping lots of things. :c I left acid and draining arrows down there. ._.
    With strength potions and strength spells, the party pulled itself to Nashkel. Whereupon I spent another hour shuffling equipment around. Made a stop off at Beregost to drop off things I didn't want to sell (like all the wardstones -- ah why did I keep them? XD).

Back at Ulgoth's Beard, as I walked through waves of cultists -- and finally the tanari fellow -- I listened to Morricone's western pieces. :D

The fight was harder than I thought for a reason I hadn't remembered: The cultists took a LOT of hits. For a brief time, I had to pull my frontliners off the t'nari to attack the remaining 2 cultists.

Of course, there was the obligatory 'hey, I won! *shuffles equipment around* *jumps in her seat as Jaheira changes into a ghast* nooooo :o' ... and subsequent irritated reload. v_v I wondered if the sign appeared for ghast-shapechange. And in the next fight, Jaheira did indeed have the sign again. So Kivan shot her with a dispelling arrow. Then Kivan shot EVERYONE ELSE with a dispelling arrow just be real damned sure no one was going to change. :| (You'd think they could just tap each other with one...)

It was actually quite stressful! I know the ghast change happens within a minute. Yet even Kivan couldn't hit everyone right away. I had to stop the fight... wait... try to take off armour... wait (because you can't take off armour during a 'fight')... take off armour... have Kivan shoot everyone... wait... have Kivan take his armour off... have Imoen shoot Kivan... shuffle equipment about.

I wonder why Khalid never got the 'dying' sign. It seems I make Khalid start -- then pull out when he's injured -- then have Jaheira finish it. ... I'm sure there's a clever comment in there about their married life, but I just can't see it. *-)

My strength of 7, I do regret. I wish I had 8 for Tilly. Considering how much groceries I often carry, I think I underestimated my strenght attribute.

Well... now I'm off to face the real end boss of BG1: Karoug. -_-

lolienSon_of_Imoen
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,431

Does anyone else just throw fireballs across the chess board until all the enemies attack? I never learnt how to play. XD

HI
    I dropped so many burny potions there that the chess board should have been almost molten.

booinyoureyestypo_tillyjackjacklolien
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,835
    Ya when my choice is play right or fireball. Well for an invoker like me, fireball IS playing right

booinyoureyestypo_tillylolien
    edited December 2013

HI
    I dropped so many burny potions there that the chess board should have been almost molten.
    pft XD

I like your style! :)

And that's my style for Sarevok. ;) Everyone gets a bottle... and then fwOOOOSH :v

Wolf Island is now complete. It is much easier to do after Durlag's Flour. :)
    Would prefer a happier end to that story, though... -_- *sad face*

Everyone is at max level now, if not at max experience. Off to see Sarevok now. ^w^ Then BG2. n_n

booinyoureyesjackjackSCARY_WIZARDlolien
    WELL Sarevok stood me up. He is nowhere to be found in Baldur's Gate. ._. In fact, none of the NPCs related to the 'take over BG' chapter are around. Walked to the Iron Throne place to the Under Cellars to the Flaming Fist then back again. I was, however, approached by someone who told me Scar would like to ask me to investigate the Suns (the pre-Candlekeep quest). Unfortunately, Scar is supposed to have died...

I think my save file is... rather messed up, to be blunt. The game was started after the vital patches last year... then I continued it off and on then again much later in the open beta. So something's probably not right due to the jumps. XD

At any rate, Tilly Wigglebottom's character sheet was exported for use in BG2. :)

For the time being... though... I have to get ready for courses and work next year. I will see you all around later! :3

SCARY_WIZARDlolien
    Turns out I ran into this problem here.

I activated chapter 7 by typing
    SetGlobal("Chapter","GLOBAL",7)
    while I was in the farm outside of BG city. Then I went into eastern BG to be dogpiled by 3 or 4 NPCs. YAY :D

A big thank yous to @Mathsorcerer and @Tresset for identifying and solving the problem. Thanks guys! ^__^

Not much to say about Chapter 7. In the final battle, I made sure Kivan killed Tazok. Also I couldn't kill Angelo in time before the game ended (hey, I didn't want to let up on Sarevok -- he hits pretty hard :p).

Aside from that, I trigged 2 battle horrors yet still managed to beat Sarevok with Khalid and Jaheira. :) Previously, I would have tried to cast a lot of offensive spells at him, but more and more I'm just buffing my own party. I mean, with magic resistance, big bads just shrug off most attacks. I'm learning. XD

mm! One more thing: the level 4 Teleport spell made the dopplegaenger assassin fight MUCH easier. The shapeshifters didn't get as much time to attack the dukes, what with being randomly teleported and all. :) I think it's a spell I'll be using much more in the future. If I remember right, there is no save for it.

I am going to take the next few days to go through BG2. :3

Party planned:
    Tilly Wigglebottom
    Hexxat -> Yoshimo -> Imoen
    Rasaad
    Neera (I promise I'll play her right @Tresset. Still wish she was a sorcerer instead... can't stand unpredictability n_n')
    Nalia
    Minsc

Not very warrior heavy... and only one healer.
    While I'd like a second healer, I'm not interested in taking
    - Aerie (another cleric/mage in a party of 3 mages)
    - Anomen (*shudders* *gags* not with a female CHARNAME)
    - Viconia (will leave in mid-late game)
    - Cernd (not unless wolf is fixed)
    - Jaheira (I take her nearly every time)

It's an odd party for sure. I like Nalia, so she's in (2 mages with bows - YES *fist pump*). Jaheira is out, despite being a good alternative to Minsc, because I want to see how Minsc interacts with the new NPCs. Also I swear Minsc asks to be Nalia's witch and I want to see that happen again.

So far I've gone through Irenicus's hideout.

I wish Imoen was a level 10 thief dualed to mage, but she'll do. :)

Also, I benefited from the bug (fixed in an upcoming patch) that gives extra hp to a mage when importing with a familiar. I have 6 extra hp and no familiar. I could summon another familiar for extra hp, but that's kinda cheesy. Plus, Apricot the pseudo-dragon spent all game in my backpack. n.n' I'm sure he'd like to play at home instead.

elminsterlolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,180
    There is no save against the teleport field spell and it bypasses magic resistance.

typo_tillyCrevsDaakBelgarathMTHlolien
    Well that party plan went south fast. n.n'

I booted Minsc (left him with Aerie - aww :3) because I can't have a party without 2 healers. It's just not me!

I booted Jaheira because after so many games I can't stand having her in the party for the time being, no matter how much she rocks. Maybe in the future after a hiatus.

Storywise, I can't imagine a Good CHARNAME not staying with Minsc and Jaheira for vegence. I'm going to pretend that Jaheira, Minsc, and Aerie are helping CHARNAME find and deal with Irenicus in some way.

New estimate:
    Tilly
    Yoshimo -> Imoen
    Nalia
    Neera
    Rasaad
    Cernd - let's see how he is at healing!... and bugs... and fire >:3

Question is, can I handle ToB with this party? I've played SoA many times, but ToB very few.

CrevsDaaklolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,605
    edited January 2014
    @Typo_Tilly, I'm glad someone else is discovering the wonders of the Teleport Field spell. I just used it in the battle with Irenicus in Spellhold, to keep all the clones and assassins off my casters, and it was awesome. Several of them even wound up stuck over in the glass jars area, waiting to be picked off at range at our leisure.

Your party there might be a little weak on frontline melee, but with three arcane casters, it looks to me like it should be doable, especially if you use summons to do some melee tanking for you. Also, there's Teleport Field. Throw one of those babies into the area with one caster, and then everybody but Rasaad should be free to cast spells every round without fear of disruption.

Is your Tilly character a cleric? Clerics' skeleton warriors and aerial servants are some of the best summons, plus clerics get some really needed protection spells. Also, there are a few battles in ToB where Holy Smite is really, really helpful, because it can hurt some creatures who have very high elemental and magic resistance.

Those arcane casters should all get planetars in ToB.

I'm told Rasaad is supposed to be pretty strong at ToB levels, but I wouldn't know.

Archers might be a slight problem, but I bet you can handle it.

There are some battles in ToB that are very hard no matter what your party composition is, but I'm pretty sure any party can beat the game in vanilla.

typo_tillylolien
    Rasaad is a beast atm in my bg2 party with my WS valygar keldorn and anomen. He is second behind the WS even though keldorn was there long before him.

typo_tillylolien
    I know, eh? :D Teleport rocks! I've used it again to completely mess up melee attackers. :) It works well with a ranged party since no one has to move to keep attacking.

*nods* Tilly is a cleric/mage. So I'll actually have 4 arcane casters: Nalia, Neera, Tilly, Imoen. I'm not good with spells yet, but I'm learning. :) While doing the druid grove, I realised my 2 casters have just enough spells to get through the entire area (except the troll hut). Meeting that threshold is pretty rewarding.

Yeah, I'm finding Protection from Evil is a great spell. :) I haven't tried cleric summons yet. Holy Smite has also been awesome! I like to follow up with Glitterdust to make sure no one can see. :u

For Cernd, I'm using @Tresset's werewolf fix. So far, Cernd has better AC than Rasaad, though I except that to change. (Characters sure level fast in BG2!)

Some ToB battles are hard no matter the party make up? *-) Alright, I'll take it! :D ToB always scares me: good AC never seems to do anything.

Took Korgan around to the tombs. Had to rest a lot in there to heal up (no money for potions so early in). But the first quest area is usually difficult, no matter which you choose.

Left Korgan in town. Stopped by Trademeet to get Cernd (another healer - YES!) and Rasaad before going to Nalia's keep (I'm sure she was impatient by then after sleeping in a tomb for a few days n_n'). The keep was easier than the tomb even without an ace fighter. I think because Cernd's healing freed up Tilly to load up on more attack and defensive spells. As well, Tilly's many spells per day fully makes up for her low stats (finally!), which don't matter much anymore (although she still can't lift anything). I'll have to buy potions of genius to scribe spells later. I normally scribe spells in town at inns (role-playing), so this is no big deal.

Valygar and the Sphere are next on my list. As far as I know, he's the only character not in my planned party that needs to come along to do a major dungeon quest. After that, I'll pick up Neera.

Oh, and I killed Hexxat when Korgan was in party. She describes luring 'dozens' or 'hundreds' of people to their death to resurrect her. I mean, as a Good character I can't let that slide. I know Dorn talks of slaughtering entire villages, so he won't last long when I meet him again either. In BG1, he had used his master's power to get revenge. Inbetween BG1 and BG2, he apparently was told to go on killing sprees. Definitely one for Evil parties!

BelgarathMTHRavenslightlolienlunar
    edited January 2014
    I'm adding in self-imposed mage spell restrictions I have long been considering.

According to 2E D&D, the maximum spell level a character may cast is determined by their intelligence. (Table 4 in the manual)

Note that I'm not using the optional rule which limits the number of spells learnable for each level. In my mind, if my character is studying each night, they should be allowed to memorize any spell in their spell book. It's a book for a reason, aye? Bloody reference it is. :)

INT - Max spell level
    9 - 4
    10 - 5
    11 - 5
    12 - 6
    13 - 6
    14 - 7
    15 - 7
    16 - 8
    17 - 8
    18 - 9

Tilly has an INT of 10, so I won't learn beyond level 5 spells. I'll still benefit from going up in mage levels (spells will last longer or cause more damage). I'll still drink potions to scribe above my spells per level INT limit.

Imoen, Nalia, and Neera all of INT of 17 (!), so they'll learn up to level 8 spells. Normally I give Imoen the INT tome in BG1 (Tilly got it this time!) then increase her INT to 18 in BG2... but not this past game.

EDIT - Ah but how to handle Epic Level Spells? -_- They aren't learnt through scrolls at all, eh? Are they actually level 10 spells or are they epic skills on par with whirlwind? *-) Well... I'm a ways off from them just yet. Would appreciate your thoughts on that, though! :)

lolien
    Epic level spells go in your ninth level spell slots. It's up to you whether you want to roleplay that Tilly is getting them as special abilities, but they won't actually go into the special abilities button without a mod.

typo_tillybooinyoureyes
    mm

With Tilly, I may pass on the epic mage spells.
    With Imoen, Neera, and Nalia I'm not as sure. They're good up to level 8 -- then they don't get level 9 -- so should they get epic? I could go either way.

lolien
    @Typo_Tilly

For Keldorn, if I'm giving him back to his family I like to think he was with them retired until he was called on that one last time.

typo_tillyReadingRambololien
    ha, yeah :) These rationalisations we do. Makes the game more fun, and the characters a bit more real. :D

Ravenslightlolien
    @typo_tilly‌ , I really like those stat tables that break down the attributes into sub-attributes. Is that from the AD&D manual, or did you make those up? The tables and sub-attributes would have been interesting and helpful to have and discuss in some of the threads where we've debated the meaning of the stats as interpreted for real life.

Good luck with your new run. :)

rufus_hobartJuliusBorisovRavenslightlolien
    hmm
    I got the sub-attributes through... the BG manual? No, I can't see it there. -_- I got it from... oh! the short descriptions in character creation at the abilities screen. :) And... ah, yes, the BG team took the descriptions from the 2E AD&D manual.

As I see it, 6 attributes is not enough for an accurate breakdown. I'd at least divide DEX into dexterity (hands) and agility (feet&legs?). But then we'd get 2 to 3 times as many attributes. Complex! XD

JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHRavenslightlolien
    Ah, I just noticed: I accidently put my INT as 10! :o

... After much anguish, I'm going to keep it at 10. I'll consider my reasoning is a 3 instead of a 2. And I'll give the INT tome to Imoen. :)

lolien
    You know, I just realised my party has less money than before. I think this is partly from drinking more health potions due to higher difficulty and partly from the enemy drinking potions they hold -- so I can't sell them! :o

jackjackJuliusBorisovRavenslightlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 21,138
    I'm glad to finally read the continuation. I like your honest storytelling - about HP rolls, not being able to sell wolf pelts (remember, you can still sell them in Beregost, in the tavern with Marl), a bear's actions under the effect of the Spook spell ^_^

It adds to the feeling greatly. Wigglebottom is a cool surname, BTW :)

typo_tillylolien