Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We need your feedback on the new forum text editor switch.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

what type of texture is this?

zordren3742zordren3742 Member, Array Posts: 140

I have posted on a couple of forums trying to figure this out. So I have gotten permission to port models from the witcher 2.and some of the models have the normal blue-ish normal's and others have this pinkish purple one. A plain normal if you look at the channels in gimp use the red and green channels and have a plain blue with a black alpha, This one has a plain red and blue with info in the green and info in the alpha. I think they may have combined the spec and normal in one texture on some of the models but I do not know. Has anyone ever seen one of these? What is it? and how do you apply it?

Comments

• symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 36
    From the looks of it it seems like it's indeed specular + normal map combined. Normal maps can use all three color channels so that's... uhm, normal.

I'd create a separate image from the alpha channel and interpret the alpha values as gray-scale.

zordren3742
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 140
    edited May 26
    So I posted this on cd projekt reds forums and one of the moderators told me this is a normal made by the program speed tree. And after reading documents on speed trees website,it says the real tree software outputes a normal that may have a fliped green channel and that the alpha is a Hight map. So now I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to turn this texture into a Normal I can use in neverwinter nights engine,that will make the tree look the same as the one in the witcher 2. edit SPEED TREE my bad.

Post edited by zordren3742 on
  • symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 36
    edited May 24
    Interesting. The easiest would be to only use one of the textures. It's possible to create a normal map from a heightmap using gimp and the CrazyBump Plugin.
    Question is if it's possible to combine it with an existing normal map.

It might be possible with Blender. One could feed the alpha channel into a displacement modifier and re-bake the normal. When you say flipped green channel, that means inverted, right?
    EDIT: This is what I got out of a quick test in blender. No idea how it's supposed to look like though:

zordren3742
    I think I'm starting to figure it out. So the tree has 2 textures, and 2 normals, one set for the bark and another for the knots and I think they used part of the normals in the alpha as transparency to blend the 2 textures and normals together. But I have not had time to test it all out in the last day or two.

So, someone on the cd Projekt red's forums did help me figure this out. The normal looks this way because it is a normal compressed into DXT5nm format, you can read about it HERE http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_Map_Compression

So what I did was, I used gimp to decompose the image into 4 images RED GREEN BLUE ALPHA and loaded 3 of them up as layers. I then composed the 3 layers back into each channel. I put the alpha back into the red channel, the green into the green channel and the blue into the blue channel and then inverted the green channel sense the witcher 2 is directx and neverwinter nights is opengl, and it worked. I did this with another object in the game. I do not know if it will work with the speed tree textures sense they use height info in the alpha, so I am not 100% sure they are the same.

T0R0
    I converted normal from the speed tree a couple of weeks ago, it is the same, it is a DXT5nm dds and it converted in the same way.