Skip to content

Need Help. IWDEE & BG2EE (2.5, GOG, Fresh Installs, Windows) crash when saving.

Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
edited July 2018 in Troubleshooting
I've recently made fresh installs of IWDEE and BG2EE since the 2.5 patches dropped on GOG. Everything worked great with the 2.3 patches before. But now whenever a save is attempted (auto, quick, or manual), the games freeze. I'm playing on Windows 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated! =)

Note: Sought help on the GOG forums first, was referred to here.

Comments

• TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    You might have a corrupt file, where i dont without looking in your folder itself. Best way to fix it would be to find it and delete it then do a fresh install.
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure it's 2.5 related, since I just did a fresh install for both IWDEE and BG2EE and they both have the exact same issue. I just don't have a clue how to go about identifying and fixing the problem. =(
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Ser_Elryk, here are a couple of thoughts:

It could be related to the Cloud saves. Are you aware if the cloud save (which I think is GOG Galaxy) is turned off? Also, just check to see if have any other cloud software installed (like OneDrive). It could be synching on save?

Your virus engine could be preventing a save from occurring. Try disabling the engine for a short term and see what happens.

The other thought for this is versions of saved games. If you have any old saved games in you save folder, try renaming the saved folder so that it begins fresh with no games. Old saved games have been known to upset the cookie cart...

If it ends with none of the above, could you run dxdiag.exe, save and upload the results.

Good luck
    Gus
    I appreciate the suggestions. No luck with any of the above as far as I can tell unfortunately.
    @Ser_Elryk, is the game actually freezing or just really slow. Go to save a game and let it go for a minute or two and see if it revives itself... Does the rest of the game play as expected?

Gus
    @Gusinda, Hey, you're right! I just tried it with IWDEE. I hit quicksave and it seemed to freeze but revived after about 60 seconds. And yes, the rest of the game plays as expected. Any tips on how to fix the super-slow saving problem?
    @Ser_Elryk, yes, this is a known problem. Have a look at this thread and see if any of the possible work arounds actually work. There are also links to the tickets for Beamdog as well so you would be able to monitor progress.

The one that worked for me way back when was the reinstall of DirectX 9.0c, and the change of the backend to DirectX.

I will cut and paste here but the rest of the thread offers some more:

--------- Snip ---------
    It seems that a lot of these type of problems could be fix changing from OpenGL to DirectX (or vica verca).
    To do this, edit your baldur.lau (..\My Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\baldur.lau) and change the line below.

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')
    to
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

If it is a 1, then try changing it to 0; if it is a 0, then change to 1. 1 = DirectX, 0 = OpenGL

Just doing this by itself could fix the prob, but I recommend updating your drivers anyway. If it doesn't fix, then please provide some more info about the system.
    --------- Snip ---------

Hopefully it works for you too...
    Gus
    @Gusinda Yup, that did it! Thank you VERY much, my friend! =D
    @Ser_Elryk, no problems. Glad it worked out for you.

Gus