Skip to content

[MOD] EEex (v0.10.2-alpha)

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Is param #2 = 14 of opcodes #144/279 functional?
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 999
    Yes, it targets the Find Traps button.
    _Luke_
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I need some enlightenment, please.

I was aiming to make a kit called Weapon Master that would give to a creature specific bonuses on a single melee weapon and restrain every other weapon.

To make this work I was aiming to create one single kit for every Weapon of Choice: The player would create the character and use an ability that would call an invisible creature to open a dialogue where the player would pick his/hers Weapon of Choice - behind every choice would exist a AddKit (or AddSuperKit) to apply the kit that is related to the selected Weapon of Choice.

The problem: it would take too many rows for invisible kits - or I can skip the invisible creature thing and let the player select directly from the starting menu, but that would also pollute the screen.

Finally the question: is there something in EEex that helps me overcome that issue? Maybe altering the kit CLAB during the game or help the change the parameters of the opcodes of the effects listed at the CLAB so it would match the designed weapon.

If this thing exists, how would I use it?

Thanks.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Raduziel wrote: »
    I need some enlightenment, please.

I was aiming to make a kit called Weapon Master that would give to a creature specific bonuses on a single melee weapon and restrain every other weapon.

To make this work I was aiming to create one single kit for every Weapon of Choice: The player would create the character and use an ability that would call an invisible creature to open a dialogue where the player would pick his/hers Weapon of Choice - behind every choice would exist a AddKit (or AddSuperKit) to apply the kit that is related to the selected Weapon of Choice.

The problem: it would take too many rows for invisible kits - or I can skip the invisible creature thing and let the player select directly from the starting menu, but that would also pollute the screen.

Finally the question: is there something in EEex that helps me overcome that issue? Maybe altering the kit CLAB during the game or help the change the parameters of the opcodes of the effects listed at the CLAB so it would match the designed weapon.

If this thing exists, how would I use it?

Thanks.

By a single melee weapon, do you mean a single weapon type, or a specific item?
    EEex definitely can allow CLAB spells, and in an extension their opcodes, to be modified at runtime to provide specific bonuses based on some sort of condition.

I am confused about the problem though. What sort of rows are we talking about? CLAB rows, dialog options, something else? And what limit is being hit?
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited May 2019
    @Raduziel, you don't need EEex or dummy kits for this. Check out opcode #183 (Apply Effect Itemtype). In parameter2 set weapon type of your choice. Add this opcode with timing = 9 depending on the weapon selection.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @OlvynChuru A single weapon type. Longsword or Warhammer or Quarterstaff.

@Bubb The amount of rows kitlist may have - DoF already bites a big chunk and I don't want other mod of mine to do the same.

@swit I'll send you a PM asking for details. But I think you misunderstood my issue/I expressed myself poorly. The weapon varies with the weapon of choice the player embraces. So it is something I can't previously set.

Thanks, everyone :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    If—say—I wanted to throw together a Mac version, what should the Loader for it do? What are the technicalities of getting this to run? I took a quick look at the code for the Windows Loeader and it's mostly assembler so I'd rather ask before I start going over it (tomorrow; or at least after I've slept for a few hours).

How is the asm in the Lua code being processed (is it being injected with hooks or just being overwritten on memory?) and by what (is it the game's embedded version of Lua or?) is it being run? I know I might sound a bit silly and rather demanding asking things like this in such manner, but I honestly have no clue of where else to start. I don't really need detailed information right now, just an overall idea so I know where to start working.
    fearlessBubbGrammarsalad
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    The lua functions are using the EE game executable internal lua which is statically compiled into it. The raw bytecode (asm x86) EEex lua functions are added into the address space of the EE game executable, by allocating some memory (by the loader) for adding these functions. These EEex lua functions can then call any of the internal lua functions. The calling convention for these functions is C (cdecl), where the stack is adjusted by the caller, the code is the raw x86 assembler).

There is one hook installed by the loader, that redirects code from a call to LuaL_loadstring in the EE game executable to set up the memory for additional lua functions and to initialize and register the first EEex lua functions (EEex_Init, EEex_ExposeToLua, EEex_WriteByte) for use in the lua scripts (M__EEex.lua).

For Mac and other OS's I think the initial steps to porting this over would be to:

- How to load the EE game and inject or hook certain functions
    - Search for function addresses for EE game functions and for global variables required by EEex and store this information (to allow the lua scripts access to this information)
    - Hook the call to LuaL_loadstring or other candidate function/calls in the EE game, to redirect to our custom code.
    - Allocate memory for EEex functions
    - Code initial EEex lua functions in the bytecode for the platform adhering to the calling convention for that platform.

I'm not familiar with other OS's in regard to loading, injecting or hooking. Additionally the searching for functions is done based on the asm x86 bytecode found in the windows EE game exe, I'm not sure how that will work with other OS's, or if this technique will successfully apply. The calling convention and raw bytecode for other platform may allow this to work or may introduce cases where its not possible to search and map those function address required. I will defer to others that have more experience coding with these other OS's.
    BubbCrevsDaak
    Is RACEFEAT.2da functional?
    @Luke93
    Luke93 wrote: »
    Is RACEFEAT.2da functional?

I've experimented with it (giving creatures without infravision penalties in dark places). RACEFEAT.2da does give creatures infravision, but it does not set STATE_INFRAVISION.
    edited May 2019
    For some reason, EEex_GetActorRequiredDirection isn't working.

I was making a function to apply a spell to a creature that was looking at the caster. This is part of the function:
    function MEGAZE(effectData, creatureData)
    	local targetID = EEex_ReadDword(creatureData + 0x34)
    	local sourceID = EEex_ReadDword(effectData + 0x10C)
    	if targetID == 0x0 or sourceID == 0x0 then return end
    	local sourceData = EEex_GetActorShare(sourceID)
    	local sourcex = EEex_ReadDword(sourceData + 0x8)
    	local sourcey = EEex_ReadDword(sourceData + 0xC)
    	Infinity_DisplayString(targetID)
    	Infinity_DisplayString(sourcex)
    	Infinity_DisplayString(sourcey)
    	local eyeContactDirection = EEex_GetActorRequiredDirection(targetID, sourcex, sourcey)
    	Infinity_DisplayString("ugu")

When a spell calls this function on a creature, the targetID, sourcex and sourcey get printed correctly, but ugu does not get printed.

This code had been working when I had been using a previous version of EEex, but now it isn't.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
    Bubb
    @OlvynChuru: I wrote a program to semi-sort the patterns db, and it dropped the last pattern defined in the file because I'm a terrible programmer.

I've manually added the CGameSprite::GetDirection pattern back into the db; should be working now :D
    @Bubb Thank you! :)

Could you let the Modify Priest Spells opcode add spells of levels the character can't cast yet? I was planning on using this in one of my mods.
    Grammarsalad
    How do we use EEex_Lua nowadays? I tried using the action hook example in EEEX_AHO.LUA and it didn't work. I copy and pasted the code into UI.MENU and gave a creature a script like this:
    IF
    	See(Player1)
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		EEex_Lua("B3SpellToPoint")
    		SpellNoDecRES("SPWI304",Player1)
    END

The creature cast the fireball, but it did not change to target a point.

I also created my own function that should display a string, but it did not display a string when the function was called by a creature using EEex_Lua.
    I need to work on documentation; things are getting kinda messy, as you can see.

EEex_Lua and EEex_LuaTrigger should be back to directly running Lua code embedded in the argument string, as this is the only way to pass args to the function without some trickery.

So,
    EEex_Lua("B3SpellToPoint")

Should be:
    EEex_Lua("B3SpellToPoint()")

The action hooks should still be functional, hopefully.
    OlvynChuruCrevsDaak
    @Bubb

Which is the script trigger corresponding to opcode #282 (Modify script state)? For instance, let's consider IMMUNE1.itm => 'CheckStatGT([object],0,WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_NORMAL_WEAPONS' cannot detect it (i.e., it returns false.....)
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Which is the script trigger corresponding to opcode #282 (Modify script state)? For instance, let's consider IMMUNE1.itm => 'CheckStatGT([object],0,WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_NORMAL_WEAPONS' cannot detect it (i.e., it returns false.....)
    The stats listed for op282 are incorrect, #17-33 are one off, #34+ will be one off (less) depending on where you're looking and which game version you're running.
    CrevsDaak
    kjeron wrote: »
    The stats listed for op282 are incorrect, #17-33 are one off, #34+ will be one off (less) depending on where you're looking and which game version you're running.

Yep, you're right. IMMUNE1.itm sets #25 to 1, so you need to check for STAT (25-1)+156 = 180 (i.e., WIZARD_GREATER_MALISON). This does sound like a bug and should be fixed....

Also, why do STATs #176, #177, #178, #179, #180, #181 and #182 have two identifiers? For instance, STAT #180 is both 'WIZARD_GREATER_MALISON' and 'HIDEINSHADOWSMTPBONUS'....
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Yep, you're right. IMMUNE1.itm sets #25 to 1, so you need to check for STAT (25-1)+156 = 180 (i.e., WIZARD_GREATER_MALISON). This does sound like a bug and should be fixed....
    Nothing above #9 is officially supported by op282.
    Also, why do STATs #176, #177, #178, #179, #180, #181 and #182 have two identifiers? For instance, STAT #180 is both 'WIZARD_GREATER_MALISON' and 'HIDEINSHADOWSMTPBONUS'....
    HIDEINSHADOWSMTPBONUS and similar are the stats real purpose. The WIZARD_ were mods trying to hijack the stats for other purposes, while interfering with their original purpose, some of which made it into the EE's. The EE's have mostly replaced them with SPLSTATE references, but a few remain.
    Equip "IMMUNE1" on a thief and you will see their Hide in Shadows skill increase by 1.
    _Luke_CrevsDaak
    @Bubb Have you returned to working on EEex? Or are you still busy?
    Bubb
    @OlvynChuru: Just got back earlier today. :)
    OlvynChuruTimbo0o0o0CrevsDaakIsewein
    Thank you! :)

As thanks for this, some time today I will send you a pull request with some of the new functions I've recently created for EEex.
    BubbFlashburnGrammarsalad
    edited June 2019
    @OlvynChuru: Awesome, thanks! Merged.

A few things to review, (because I still only know the bare basics of GitHub):

EEex_GetActorSpellRES =>
    local spellIDS = EEex_ReadWord(EEex_GetActorShare(actorID) + 0x338, 0x0)

is reading the first integer param of the current script action; it can be unrelated to spell casting. This is a valid lookup if the current action is verified to be a spell cast, however.
    local spellRES = EEex_ReadLString(EEex_GetActorShare(actorID) + 0x3596, 8)

This appears(?) to have something to do with the interface itself, as the overlying structure it is accessing is called m_currentUseButton. Should be verified that it works in relation to non-manual casts for both players and NPCs.

Edit: Removed comment about code I misunderstood.
    The reason for that - 0x4 is so that the offsets from the pointer are the same as the offsets in an EFF file. Otherwise, each offset differs by 0x4 from the offsets in an EFF file, requiring you, for example, to do offset + 0x44 to get the Special field rather than offset + 0x48, as it is in an EFF file.

I think basing it on the EFF file offsets is more convenient for people who are coming from normal Infinity Engine modding.
    BubbCrevsDaak
    Ah, I see, you're simulating the Signature and Version space then; that actually works better. I guess I'm over here stuck in hex land.

BTW I'm not trying to be overly critical, I know how it is for someone to poke your code. All is good; you even document your code, one-upping me, heh.
    OlvynChurufearlessCrevsDaak
    edited June 2019
    @Bubb On that note, a little request: could you make the effect pointer for the Invoke Lua opcode work the same way?

In a little while, I'll test EEex_GetActorSpellRES() at bit more.