Skip to content

[MOD] EEex (v0.10.2-alpha)

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Bubb wrote: »
    Shin wrote: »
    1) Is it possible to change the roughly six-second pause between the start of casting and/or item usage beyond the current binary limit? Currently with opcode 188 you can remove the casting pause altogether, but assume you'd e.g. want to be able to cast twice or thrice every round instead.

Probably? It's just a timer internally, I assume I could change what value it is set to using an opcode + stat combo.
    Shin wrote: »
    2) Is it possible to mimic/expand the old ToBEx functionality of creatures dropping their inventory on frozen death, petrification and imprisonment?

If it was just preserving the inventory, it's probably doable. What "expansion" to the ToBEx functionality would you want?

ToBEx enabled inventory drop for disintegrate, petrification and frozen death, which should be fine. I was thinking about an option for imprisonment doing the same thing on the rationale that you don't necessarily imprison everything the target is carrying, though that would possibly make the spell a little too useful. Also, no rush of course.

• ArjukKagrimArjukKagrim Member Posts: 44
    The .dmp-Files which are usually created are 0kb/empty (since the installation of EEex), thats why I did not attach them :/
  • repusrepus Member Posts: 5
    repus wrote: »
    Good day. Cannot add action SetScriptName? Like in Icewind Dale 2. Or Is it possible to change Override creature data (342) opcode so that changes the ScriptName.

Opcode #342 doesn't appear to touch the creature's scriptname. Though the implementation of the action is easy enough - I'll have it done within a week.

OK. Thank you.
    edited February 2020
    Seems now I sometimes get a non-empty dump (attached). Strange thing is no crash is reproducible, it just happens every 5-10 minutes regardless of what I am doing ingame (except for idling). However, the same installation works fine without EEex (and therefor also no Spellmenu).
    Bubb
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    @ArjukKagrim: Well, this is troublesome. Your dmp shows the crash occurring in the middle of an area transition / rendering the world screen, I believe. Problem is your game isn't crashing in the middle of EEex code, and EEex has no hooks in the section where it crashed.

I've experienced 3 crashes from testing SoD over a 15 minute window. First was straight out of chargen, the next two were during an area transition. Do you notice the crashes occurring more frequently when doing certain things, or completely random?

Since it's happening outside of EEex code, (and two of the crashes threw back std::bad_alloc), it is most likely memory corruption from some EEex operation. Very odd that it only appears to occur in SoD, perhaps one of the maps has something EEex doesn't handle right. Any and all info about what maps you were in / what you were doing at the time would help.

This will probably take a long time to track down.
    Timbo0o0o0leeux
    I already finished the SoD part now and installed EEex again for the BG2 part (the Spell Menu is just too awesome to not use it). The odd thing is, in the BG1-part it worked nearly flawless (with very rare crashes, maybe once per hour). This particular crash happened when leaving Windspear Hills. The strange thing is that I after restarting the game I cannot reproduce the crash, even if I do the exact same things like before it works and after ~10 minutes the game crashes again. I cannot localize the cause :/. If I think about it, they probably occur more often during area transition. Sorry that I am not able to provide any useful information to track this down.
    Bubb
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Is there something special I have to do to activate the modal skill timer besides turning it on in EEex_INI.lua? The spell inspection mode is working at least, which I discovered the module had to be set to 'true' before installing EEex, so I tried doing that with the modal skill timer, but it still doesn't appear anywhere.
    @ArjukKagrim: Could you please throw the .lua file I've attached into your override folder, (after unzipping it)?

It really is just a shot in the dark. If you could, please play the game until you crash with the file present. Your game log will be spammed with "m_nextObjectId: <number>" whenever an object is spawned by the game. Please tell me what number it ends up around when the game crashes.

You can delete the file out of your override and everything will go back to normal.

@Flashburn: The modal timers were never fully implemented, sorry! They've been on the back burner for far too long...

And for enabling modules, you should be able to do so via altering the EEex_INI.lua in the override folder, after installing EEex.
    Flashburn
    edited February 2020
    Just played a bit, the crashes occured at 1040, 550, 660, 872.
    ALIENBubb
  • tspoonfultspoonful Member Posts: 8
    @Bubb : I've been using EEEX recently and have had a few crashes that sound similar to what @ArjukKagrim is experiencing, though all in BG2.

They're not reproducible - every time it happens, I just quit the game, reload and do whatever I was doing previously, and it works fine. I'd not had any crashes prior to using EEEX as far as I recall. Definitely seems to happen mostly in area transitions, but it's also happened while on the inventory screen at least once. It's quite inconsistent, sometimes not happening for ~8 hours of gameplay and then three within the hour.

Attached crash dumps (from the three back to back crashes) and weidu log- would it be useful to test with your debug trace enabled too?

Also taking the chance to say that your mods are incredible work; spell menu and shift-to-show-buffs have completely changed how I feel about high level magic in this game and I can't imagine how I coped without them. You're a star, thanks for all your hard work!
    Ludwig_IIArjukKagrimBubb
    edited February 2020
    @tspoonful: Thanks for helping me track this down. Your crash dmp's appear to indicate a Lua error during an EEex creature marshaling hook. I assume you are using the master branch, then? (This feature only exists in the master branch).

Could you drop the file I have attached, (after unzipping), into your override folder and see if the game spits out an error instead of crashing? You'll know when it occurs.

@ArjukKagrim: I guess the above brings up a question - are you using the EEex master branch, or the latest release? You might be having the same issue if you are using master.

Edit: And sorry, thanks for providing the debug output. I thought the game might be running into the 32k creature max, but that was not the case.
    @Bubb: I use the EEex v0.8.2-alpha release-version.
    Bubb wrote: »
    @tspoonful: Thanks for helping me track this down. Your crash dmp's appear to indicate a Lua error during an EEex creature marshaling hook. I assume you are using the master branch, then? (This feature only exists in the master branch).

Yep, master branch, 0.8.2 release. I've put the change in and will let you know what happens.

Brecher
    @Bubb got another for you - the crash was when dragging a stack of items in the inventory this time. I was in the illithid lair in the underdark and had just been put back in the cell, where I think the githyanki are meant to spawn next to me, so that may be going on at the same time. No error appeared, just the game hanging and a crash popup in the background telling me about the dump file, as usual; adding your updated file didn't change anything that I can see.

Let me know if I can try anything else?
    Bubb
    @tspoonful: I'm not sure why, but I can't reproduce these crashes on my end. Might be another mod interacting with EEex in an unexpected way - I'll try to completely recreate the reported crash environments over the weekend.

In the mean time, I've attached another file. This file wraps all EEex functions to provide an error handler. Any sort of Lua error, thrown from anywhere in the code should trigger an error popup / log. Please play awhile with this file in your override and see if an error pops up.

If an error appears before you crash, please upload the generated EEex.log after the game exits. (And note, this file slows down the game - a warning will appear when you launch to notify you it's active).
    @tspoonful : So you actually get dump files? Because most (~80%) at most of my crashes they are empty (0kb).

@Bubb : I also copied this file in my override folder.
    Bubb
    @Bubb got a crash almost straight away! But- no error popup. I've added EEex.log anyway in case that's handy. This time I'd just rested and SCS' ease-of-use script was refreshing a bit list of defensive spells automatically, then I think I selected a character to switch their spell list and it froze before that could open.

I was warned about it running slowly, but in-game it's running full speed for me. BG is still an old game at the end of the day I guess. I'll try again and see how we go.

@ArjukKagrim yeah there's almost always a dump file - I only have one empty dump out of 11 crashes.
    Bubb
    @bubb whaddaya know, same thing happened again - though I'm pretty sure it crashed straight away when I pressed Q to quicksave. Reloaded after to try to repro again and everything worked fine, of course! Quicksaving is slow now though - 2 seconds maybe? Presumably that's due to the debug trace slowdown.
    Bubb
    Just got my first error popup! But... the game didn't actually crash. I was reloading after getting pasted in a fight, got the error popup, then returned to game and all was well. Log attached.
    EEex.log 183.8K
    Bubb
    TONS of crashes playing today. Zip has a whole load of them - I also got the error popup quite often when trying to load saves, as the previous post, but never got the popup at times where it would actually crash after.

That said, more conclusive patterns emerging for when it crashes- when saving, when transitioning areas, and when grabbing items in the inventory. I think that's every situation that broke it today.

Let me know what's relevant and I'll grab more logs/crashdumps for you, in the meantime I'll turn the logging off for now!
    Bubb
    @tspoonful: Thanks for all of your help! I think I've fixed the major crash you were experiencing, (along with the source of those errors you were catching). Try out the version I just released and see if you still crash. :)

@ArjukKagrim: I still can't track down your crashes. Try out the latest version, and if you are still crashing, could you please upload some more .dmp's for me to investigate?
    leeux
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited February 2020
    @Bubb Nice!

Here's another request of mine: could you create a "Screen Actions" opcode that calls a function whenever the creature would begin a new action (like those action hooks you implemented before)? The function would take the originating effect data, creature data, and action data as parameters.

Also, I remember a while ago you tried to extend the maximum possible visual range but weren't successful. Is that not feasible to do?
    Bubb
    edited February 2020
    @Bubb: I attached the latest .dmp files. The problem is that usually (about 90% of the time) either no or an empty dump file is created. The game just shuts down without any error message. I also observed that ~40% of the crashed occur either on area transition or when quick-saving. Also, 8.3 didn't solve my problems.

Edit: It seems that the crash frequency depend strongly on the area. In the bg2 Underdark Mind Flayer Lair I have crashes about every 5 min, whereas I had not one at Windspear Hills
    Post edited by ArjukKagrim on
    Bubb
    @ArjukKagrim: Your crashes are an odd case, because they aren't occurring at a single point. Every .dmp is crashing somewhere else, which makes the issue extremely hard to find. Just to make sure, these crashes don't occur when EEex is uninstalled, right?

Two things:

1) There appears to be an opengl.dll in the game's base directory. Could you please temporarily delete this file and see if you still crash?

2) Are you running the game under an admin account? It appears the crash .dmp's aren't being able to read program memory, probably due to running with insufficient privileges. If you aren't admin, could you please run the game via Administrator and upload the generated crash .dmps under that account / elevation?
    fearless
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Bubb Another pull request: I made it so extended skills can be given to classes that normally don't have any skills (e.g. fighters).

i8dxq5xldkrq.png
    c9h8cjzuvxvr.png

Ironically, the reason why this couldn't be done before was not because of some silly Infinity Engine quirk but because I had previously set it to not to allow this, maybe because I thought it might crash the game or cause glitches (it doesn't).
    leeuxBubbGrammarsalad
    edited February 2020
    The installation works without EEex. I now deleted the opengl.dll and started the gameas admin today. It seems to crash rarer (only ~every 15 minutes). However, it still does not create crash.dmps.

Edit: I guess I was just lucky the first hour, now even with admin access rights it's like before.

Post edited by ArjukKagrim on
  • BrecherBrecher Member Posts: 47
    There seems to be an incompatibility between the latest release of EEex and SCS:
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/30639-scs-updated-to-326-now-328/?do=findComment&comment=278018
    Bubb
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    @Bubb Another pull request: I made it so extended skills can be given to classes that normally don't have any skills (e.g. fighters).

i8dxq5xldkrq.png
    c9h8cjzuvxvr.png

Ironically, the reason why this couldn't be done before was not because of some silly Infinity Engine quirk but because I had previously set it to not to allow this, maybe because I thought it might crash the game or cause glitches (it doesn't).

Oh cool. I was having so much trouble with this component but that may have been because I was primarily testing with fighters. Time to scale the project back up again!