Skip to content

[Linux] Unable to find Hak file *UPDATE*

WolfbaneWolfbane Member Posts: 5
edited June 2019 in Technical Support
Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a PW using a custom hak file. The problem I have is that when I try to connect to my server I get the message "Missing required Hak file".
I have put the hak file in the Home/Documents/Neverwinter Nights/Hak folder and still receive the message when I try to join my server.
Here's the thing, when I use a windows computer, doing the same as above by placing the Hak file in the respective Hak folder, I am able to connect & play without any problems.
I have tried multiple distro's of linux such as Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Linux Mint, Linux Zorin etc, but to no avail, I get the same message on all distro's , even though I place the hak file in the what I believe is the right Hak folder.
Am I missing out on something here, or doing something that's not correct? I would like some guidance, and any help would be well appreciated.

Regards
Wolfbane.

After reading of a similar problem a module creator was having when building a module with a Hak file, which it was recommended naming the Hak file in all lower case.
As an experiment I renamed the name of my hak file on my linux machine to have all lower case letters (Just had to change the first letter to lower case), eg instead of "Myhak.hak" to "myhak.hak", and now it works fine.
Hopefully this will help anyone else having the same issue.
*note* my window computers still work when the hak file in the hak folder is "Myhak.hak" (go figure)...
Post edited by Wolfbane on

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    edited August 2018
    The default linux location is ~/.local/share/Neverwinter Nights/hak. Unless you messed with the defaults, you're putting it in the wrong place.
  • WolfbaneWolfbane Member Posts: 5

The default linux location is ~/.local/share/Neverwinter Nights/hak. Unless you messed with the defaults, you're putting it in the wrong place.

Still no go. I have even tried running up a different computer with just linux, steam, and nwn ee with the default locations. No matter what I do it still comes up with the error, but any windows machine - no such problems be it win7 or win10, the windows machines just work without any issues at all.
    I'll add that I'm hosting the server on a windows VM running windows 7, surely that shouldn't be causing the problem?
    If not, I'll try running up a different computer with linux, leave the default settings and see what happens, but I'll wait until I've got some sleep as this has been driving me nuts all day & night. :(

I really want to avoid having to either use a different computer, or dual boot to play the game, but I'm at my wit's end with it.

Regards
    wolfbane.
    Update. After installing Linux Mint on a different computer, and hosting the server on a physical machine the end result is still the same, I can't connect due to missing required Hak file.
    I made sure to place the Hak file into the correct folder as instructed above, but regardless of what computer/server/linux distro I use it still won't connect.
    So now I'm having reservations about setting up the server because those that are using the linux client won't be able to play.

Regards
    Wolfbane.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Did you also put the tlk in the tlk/ folder? Sometimes the error message is the same regardless if you are missing hak or tlk files. I haven't had any issues with linux on 5-6 machines, so your issues are certainly not standard.

Did you also put the tlk in the tlk/ folder? Sometimes the error message is the same regardless if you are missing hak or tlk files. I haven't had any issues with linux on 5-6 machines, so your issues are certainly not standard.

This was something I was not aware of as I believe my windows machines don't have tlk file, all I done was to put the hak file into the hak folder and they work.
    Is a tlk file generated from when you use a hak file in the toolset? Please excuse my ignorance as I'm still learning my way through the NWN EE system, and still learning about linux.

Regards
    Wolfbane.
    I should also add that the module, and hak file for it are from the 1.69 version of Neverwinter. I thought this may have been an issue, but as far as I'm aware bringing them across to EE should not have been a problem.