[v1.64] Emily, a Half-Elf* Archer for BG:EE + SoD and EET

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Skitia

A more elegant and safe way to check for SoD is using GAME_INCLUDES ~sod~

DeitiesofFaerun.tp2 has an example at row #767
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Ha.... ha...

This is this problem with copying off my primitive code.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    AionZ wrote: »
    Ha.... ha...

This is this problem with copying off my primitive code.

Well, I would be using the same thing but I had a summer internship with @kjeron haha
  • polymorphedsquirrelpolymorphedsquirrel Member Posts: 114
    Well, it seems Emily breaks SCS component 'Better NPC customization'. Funnily enough, only on BGEE and not on SoD for some reason. The culprit is reported as the X3MILY script.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,052
    edited June 2019
    I don't have SCS component 'Better NPC customization' to test, nor a non-SoD game, so this is a blind fix. I think there's a space in an area name at the end that's throwing it off. The SoD version probably correctly ignores the space. That is my blind guessing. Let me know if the new upload works.
    Raduziel wrote: »
    @Skitia

A more elegant and safe way to check for SoD is using GAME_INCLUDES ~sod~

DeitiesofFaerun.tp2 has an example at row #767

I'll try to remember that!
    Post edited by Skitia on
    Well, it seems Emily breaks SCS component 'Better NPC customization'. Funnily enough, only on BGEE and not on SoD for some reason. The culprit is reported as the X3MILY script. Again, iOS install if it makes any difference.
    @polymorphedsquirrel I'm 99.99% sure the next upload I am going to do will fix it. Let me know if it works!

I guess SoD versions can compile past certain silly mistakes, but a normal BG:EE1 install won't.
    Ok, will reinstall and inform you shortly. I really appreciate your fast reactions here!
    I hope it works. I installed SCS myself to try to test that it worked for me. I wish I had a Mac so I could really emulate the same environment.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    It should be fixed on my side in any case, as of the next SCS (which will be later today, I hope).
    polymorphedsquirrel
    Good call, SCS installled without complaining. Let's hope everything works...
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    I have your three npc mods and I am in ch4. I found the mods enjoyable so far.

In Emily´s quest, I found two instances of planar hunters in BG. The mission is doable, just there are double of them. No further problems with Kale and Vienxay´s quests.

You asked for dialog suggestions, what about Molly do some stalking to Kale in baldur´s gate gates?
    edited June 2019
    Who is Molly? @PsicoVic

I know why the duplication happened, it sometimes occurs when you do a reinstall or update of a mod, the game becomes dumb and runs a spawn script twice, I've had it happen and had three Aura's spawn for example. I think it's just a bug with how BG handles mods sometimes.

I usually fix it by uninstalling the mod before the occurrence of the duplication, reloading it, saving, then re-installing to fix it. The timers and globals should be safe as they are saved into the game file so no conversations are missed. That or I just ignore it.

PsicoVic
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Molly is a ‘male Salvanas’ mod NPC from BG1 Romantic Encounters. She’s found in Baldur’s Gate city.
    PsicoVic
    edited June 2019
    Thanks, I will do that.
    I like the fact that your npcs have player-initiated conversations, and you can ask them whatever you want without leaving the dialog.

A banter with Salvanas, Vienxay and Emily in BG2 would be nice too.
    Also I wander what is going to happen to Vienxay in Suldanessalar (no spoiler).

Edit: Ah, the girdle of gender second dialog fired for Emily when I took off the girdle. I enjoyed it because I had the oportunity to read it. Maybe it is because I used the soap-potion of remove curse of BGRE, not the spell.
    I'l have to play it first, but I could do something like that, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

I still have a little bit more work to do in BG1 still, but I can't wait to start thinking on those answers to those BG2 scenarios.
    SoD work left for my 4th NPC is just a few more banters before I do some quick testing to make sure it works. Then it's a few embellishments before posting. Should have it done by this coming weekend at the latest. (So terrible at guessing deadlines, but I think that is more accurate to say).
    StormfinPsicoVicmegamike15
    edited July 2019
    I'm new to making kits, does anyone have comments in regards to balance for these? The intent is to keep them in a similar vein of the other kits, without them getting too complex.

Recorder's Kit: Lorekeeper:
    Advantages:
    - +20 bonus to lore.
    - x2 Spell Slots for every spell level. 
    - May use SONATA in place of the regular Bard Song.

SONATA: This song provides varying levels of intelligence, save bonuses, and mind protection depending on the level of the bard:

Level 1: +1 Intelligence, +1 to All Saves, Immunity to Charm and Domination 
    Level 15: +2 Intelligence, +2 to All Saves, Immunity to Charm, Domination and Sleep.
    Level 20: +3 Intelligence, +3 to All Saves, Immunity to Charm, domination, Sleep, Rigid/Feeblemind and Maze. 

Disadvantages:
    - No Pickpocketing Skill.
    - Can only be proficient in club, dagger, crossbow, and quarterstaff.

Helga's Kit: Priestess of Haela Brightaxe
    Advantages: 

-May Cast Hurl Stone Once Per Day. Gains one use at level one and an additional use every five levels thereafter. 

HURL STONE: The priest creates a magical stone the size of their palm, which flies out of their hand and into the intended target. The stone does 2d6 direct magic damage with no save, although it does not bypass magic resistance. 

-May Cast Flamebolt Once Per Day. Gains one use at level one and an additional use every ten levels thereafter. 

FLAME BOLT: The priest calls forth a holy two-handed blade of flame named after Haela Brightaxe's favored weapon. The caster is treated as if a fighter with mastery level of proficiency in the weapon. The blade does 1d10+1 damage, +1 fire damage, with a THACO bonus of 1. These are all improved by one every ten levels. The blade acts at a speed factor of nine and lasts for five rounds, plus five more every ten levels.

Disadvantages:
    -Dwarf only. 
    -May only be CN, CG, and NG.

OlvynChuru
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    A few comments:

The Lorekeeper lore bonus eventually becomes a little pointless because even a regular bard can reach 100 Lore by level 10 (possibly earlier, if they have good Intelligence and Wisdom), at which point they can identify everything and the Lorekeeper lore bonus won't provide any additional benefit.

Since the lore bonus is so in-theme with the kit, you probably shouldn't remove it unless you can find a more interesting ability that's just as fitting.

Having double spell slots might be too good, as it makes Recorder easily comparable to a mage (and mages don't have the other bard advantages). Maybe having +1 spell slot of each level would be better.

That bard song looks fine.

As for the other kit, that Hurl Stone ability looks quite weak. By the middle of Baldur's Gate 1, if a cleric should spend their turn dealing damage to a single creature, they'd be better off using a Wand of the Heavens on the creature (or throwing a sling bullet at the creature) than using an ability that only deals 2d6 damage and doesn't improve. 2d6 damage would be okay at 1st level, but it should improve based on her level, remaining relevant compared to the cleric's other options at least a decent way into the game.

That flame weapon ability looks okay. Maybe you should also increase the proficiency bonus a little more at higher levels (High Mastery at level 10, Grandmastery at level 20).

I don't know enough about Haela Brightaxe to know how in-theme the Hurl Stone ability is, but the Flame Bolt ability sounds fitting.
    edited July 2019
    The Hurl Stone comes from 2.0's Haela Brightaxe special Haela spells IIRC:
    Hurl Rock (Pr 2; Alteration) Reversible
    Sphere: Combat
    Range: 10 yards/level
    Components: V,S,M
    Duration: 1 round
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: One rock (see below)
    Saving Throw: None

Description: (Too long so put under spoiler tag)

[spoiler]This spell allows a dwarf to suddenly and violently use telekinesis on a loose rock, hurling it as a missile. Only stone can be used, either natural stone or petrified objects. The stone must be loose; it cannot be part of a wall, rock face, or ceiling. The projectile strikes with the caster's THAC0. The range of this spell refers to the distance between the priest and the stone missile. The projectile can leap up to 30 feet vertically and up to 30 feet horizontally. Misses use "Table 45: Grenade-Like Missile Effects" in the DUNGEON MASTER Guide.
    The caster can move up to 2 cubic feet/level. Rocks that are too large are detected as such; the priest can choose another rock in the same round, but if it is also too large, the spell is wasted. At times, it may be important to know what damage the missile itself sustains after being hurled; for instance, if it is a fragile, valuable object or ,say, a petrified companion. The missile suffers 2d4 points of damage from its use in this spell and double that damage if it falls more than 50 feet in the process. This shatters the missile if it is brought to 0 hit points. Assume rocky missiles to have an average hit point total of 6 per 2 cubic feet, so that a rock of the maximum size that a 3rd-level priest can move (6 cubic feet) has 18 hit points.
    Rocky missiles that shatter spray shrapnel; all creatures within 10 feet of the landing site of a shattering missile must succeed at a saving throw vs. spell or suffer 1d4+1 points of damage. Any item struck by the missile or its shrapnel (see above) must succeed at an item saving throw vs. crushing blow.

A being struck by the missile is hurt as follows:
    Rock Volume
    (in Cubic Feet) Damage
    1-2 2d4
    3-4 2d8
    5-6 2d10
    7-8 3d8
    9-10 3d10
    More than 10 4d12:[/spoiler]

I simplified it as that is a bit complex and too much information for outside p&p. Maybe a one round knock down effect if failed save and 1d6 damage regardless of save per five levels would do the trick.

Then for Recorder's Spell slots I can change it from x2 to +2. I do want to achieve a more magic style of play but x2 is probably a bit overboard, especially late game.

I'll think about the high mastery/grandmastery aspect, I was concerned that'd be too much.
    OlvynChuruPsicoVic
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    I think the suggestion of grandmastery for a cleric could be a bit much, however I agree that x2 spells for a bard might make the character too powerful. I like the hurl stone ability.
    I went ahead and gave it a 1d6 per 5, save vs spell or knock down for 1 round. The mod is "done", I will try to get it up for testing as soon as time is available, this week is busy!
    Brokenkatana
    Many thanks!, may your week be fruitful
  • TrancingBearTrancingBear Member Posts: 17
    Eager to try out these mods, but for all of them I get the same error when trying to install: "Setup-Emily is not a valid Win32 application". Obviously I'm being brain-dead about something.
    What operating system are you using?
    Only if you promise not to laugh ... Windows XP.
    Do you get this message for any mod or just mine?
    Just yours I'm afraid. I've been playing all of the BG games for nearly 20 years now and have installed dozens of apps. If it helps I just tried running the program on my kid's Windows 7 machine and it runs fine, so definitely appears to be isolated to Windows XP. So presumably I can copy my game folder onto my kid's machine, install your apps and then copy back to my machine.
    Ok, so the latest is that on my kid's machine the Vienxay mod installed perfectly. But the Emily mod produced the following:

WARNING: internal label [20] not found in processed DLG [BERRUN]
    ERROR: COPY_TRANS BERRUN state #20 out of range 0-20, SKIPPED
    ERROR: Cannot process COPY_TRANS (Failure("COPY_TRANS out of range"))
    ERROR: processing COPY_TRANS [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/Emily/dialogue/X3milyj.d]:
    Failure("COPY_TRANS out of range")
    Stopping installation because of error.
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Emily NPC for BG1EE], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 83 files for [EMILY/EMILY.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 83 files for [EMILY/EMILY.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Failure("COPY_TRANS out of range")
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-EMILY.DEBUG and look for support at: htt
    ps://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74630/mod-kale-npc-for-bg-ee-v1-11/p1?new=1
    Using Language [English]

Install Component [Emily NPC for BG1EE]?
    nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? q
    [.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 47989 string entries

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Emily NPC for BG1EE

Press ENTER to exit.

Any ideas?
    edited August 2019
    Is this via Steam/GoG or Beamdog?
    Do you have Modmerged install?

Try replacing my dialogue file in Emily/Dialogue with the one inside the zip attached.

This works on my computer as is so I'm a bit stumped on why it is happening. (The attached has the trouble lines possibly removed, want to see if any other lines in the file get flagged).