Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i have never heard of anyone that liked abdel let alone the novels.
    ThacoBellPsicoVic
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i have never heard of anyone that liked abdel let alone the novels.
    From what I gathered, even people who could have liked the novels were majorly turned off by Abdel. Dude's the perfect example of an oaf - huge, brutish, stupid... but for some reason the narrative keeps presenting him as a paragon of goodness. He's almost like a botched attempt to create a "super macho badass" tailored to American tastes but without understanding what Americans actually like about those characters.

Honestly his creator should follow the example of the author who wrote the Complete Book of Elves and publicly apologize for unleashing this thing upon the world.
    megamike15ThacoBellWarChiefZekePsicoVic
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    from what little i know about the books abdel had done mercenary work outside candle keep before the story starts. so that already screws up the very start of the saga of you being a newly made adventurer lost in the woods.
    ThacoBellKamigoroshiPsicoVic
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Clearly Abdel was part of the infamous Toddler Brigade and had put three pips in Rattles to smack his enemies real good.
    Balrog99batoorMirandelsarevok57
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    New theory: Abdel in the books is mercenary that arrives in Candlekeel to kill Abdel, and after doing so subsumes Abdel's identity from then on.
    mlneveseSkatansarevok57
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    And Gorion, being old and half-blind, doesn't even notice the difference. But Imoen on the other hand.. ? :)
    mlnevesescriver
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Imoen wouldn't notice if Abdel suddenly became a Tarrasque...
    scriversarevok57
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Plot twist: Imoen is Revolver Ocelot in disguise.
    scrivermlneveseThacoBell
  • Silver6986Silver6986 Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2019
    In other news, a 5th Ed D&D tabletop inspired game called Solasta: Crown of the Magister is kickstarting on Sept 3rd and will have a playable Alpha demo. Given what I've read about it I'm wandering if BG3 will be close to it in terms of gameplay.

I haven't played any TB games as of late, so I'd be interested to see how it plays especially since verticality plays what looks to be a big role in combat.

My dinasour brain hates the idea of BG3 potentially being TB but this might change that somewhat (my preference will always be RtwP however).

Silver
    Mirandelmlnevese
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2019
    Larian will be at Pax West (Aug 30 - Sep 2, 2019), and there's a chance we'll get a new video there.

After what they did on gamescom I dare to doubt that possibility.
    ThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

They didn't have the main people presented on Gamescom, but now their leads are in Seattle (btw, it's the city where WotC are located).
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Larian will be at Pax West (Aug 30 - Sep 2, 2019), and there's a chance we'll get a new video there.

Looks to me like they're going to shoot a new music video for their German industry synth band
    KamigoroshiSkatanSjerrie
    scriverSjerrieTheWizard
    They didn't have the main people presented on Gamescom, but now their leads are in Seattle (btw, it's the city where WotC are located).
    Looks like that video the tweet hinted at was just the announcement trailer of D:OS II's Nintendo Switch port. Guess I was right with it being not BGIII related.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited September 2019
    The only thing bg3 related as of late were some tweets of Larian employees with octopuses and the statement "we are doing research" -facepalm- They do not even advertise "DoS fallen Heroes". Plenty of info into "Descent into Avernus" tho.
    Silver6986 wrote: »
    In other news, a 5th Ed D&D tabletop inspired game called Solasta: Crown of the Magister is kickstarting on Sept 3rd and will have a playable Alpha demo. Given what I've read about it I'm wandering if BG3 will be close to it in terms of gameplay.

I haven't played any TB games as of late, so I'd be interested to see how it plays especially since verticality plays what looks to be a big role in combat.

My dinasour brain hates the idea of BG3 potentially being TB but this might change that somewhat (my preference will always be RtwP however).

Silver
    I played knights of the chalice or the old games ToEE & POE, D&D conversions that use TB combat, and even though the games are not very good the D&D 3.5 based combat was ok. So it is manageable but not what I called highly desirable.

But the Solasta game looks great. I have my doubts about the lack of races and classes but the rest of the game is promising. I will think on backing.

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2019
    mlnevese wrote: »
    This is an abyssal chicken:
    hi2p9aivfpuk.jpeg

Sweet mother of Mystra... I see the "abyssal" part... but "chicken"..? Also, what size are we talking about here?
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I really with that the game will be easily modable. Imagine the crazy combinations, like an catfolk warlock of jotun pact with an succubus familiar...
    Sjerrie
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2019
    mlnevese wrote: »
    I just read the following comment about Descent into Avernus..

"With your permission, a character who casts the find familiar spell can henceforth choose to conjure an abyssal chicken instead of a raven."

This is an abyssal chicken:

Now if I can summon one of these as a familiar in BG 3 I'm sold :wink:B)

Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseSjerrie
    “Gnome Flayers“? Really...? Ugh! WotC's 5e naming sense alone makes me lose half my Sanity Points. But gnomish illithids growing tentacles out of their rectum? Nopenopenopenope!
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    edited September 2019
    Am I the only one who finds the Abyssal Chicken just looks silly and impractical, instead of scary or impressive? If this is the official WotC art style to be adapted to BG3, I won't be happy with the game. And the gnome flayer isn't any better.

By the way, here is a quote from Perkins (game designer for WotC) on it:
    It's exactly what you think it is. It is a chicken out of the abyss. But what sold me on it were two things. One, you can make it a familiar. Two, the artwork kicks ass. The art for it basically sold the creature. If the piece of art didn't look as good as it does, it probably wouldn't be in the book.

Artwork kicks ass? Honestly, I couldn't disagree more.
    SorcererV1ct0rKamigoroshikanisathaThacoBell
    Indeed. It is no secret that the official beastiary has steadily gone downhill ever since WotC took over TSR's IP. But this is neither funny nor badass... it's just plainly assed. What's next? Celestial Hagfish? Honestly nowadays they don't even try anymore.
    kanisathaThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    It's called a two-legged zergling, Lester. They don't come out here unless....
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'm not so keen on the whole "cutification" I see sometimes, where monsters etc have the over-dimensioned heads and eyes and look more cute than scary. The gnome mind flayer being an obvious example of this.

If mind flayers are now canonized to "breed" via taking over a host body and now also perhaps taking the form of them, then it kinda messes up all previous interactions we've had with them since they were then always of "human" form even if they were encountered in Underdark and probably breed from Deurgar or Swirfneblins. But I'm no expert on lore, so I might be mistaken here.
    SorcererV1ct0rmlneveseSjerrie
    IF mindflayers will play an big role, i really wish to fight an single brainstealer dragon

latest?cb=20100409221820
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Brainstealer_dragon
    mlneveseSjerrie
    yes, an interesting video

0:58 - Mindwitness (beholder )
    2:20 - Tzakandi (lizardfolk)
    3:00 - Mozgriken (deep gnome )
    3:42 - Uchuulon ( Chuul )
    3:50 - Urophion
    4:28 - Mindworm
    6:35 - Brainstealer dragon