Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

A gameplay trailer coming in February? :wink:
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If it is it will be the first solid information to discuss...
    KamigoroshiSjerrie
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I can't wait to see what the characters will look like

(Yes that is what I am the most hyped about xD )
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited January 2020
    Hey, that teaser is also new solid info: it has motion capture - something that isometric cRPGs didn't use (PoE, Pf:K, etc). And of course, it's new for BG games.

Also, the date shown in the teaser is the first day of PAX East. Boston, MA - Feb 27 - Mar 1, 2020. Considering it's a big event, with lots of visitors of the panel, the trailer which will be shown will HAVE to include gameplay, not just CGI, or maybe they can even bring a playable demo. There is also a chance they will start with a closed beta this year.

Some additional info (from the Kate Welch's Game Juice yesterday):

"... PAX East things will get crazy. I have to tell you, can't go into detail too much, but I think this year holds some pretty interesting exciting new changes for Welch's Game Juice. So, you know, stick around and if you're a BG3 fan, you know, hopefully, we will get the BG3 stuff to show before anyone else will".

To me, it all sounds and looks like the game (at least the demo of it) is closer than we could think. The proof is that in 2019, Kate asked her TW followers if she should continue BG2 or start DOS2. They voted to continue BG2. She then said smth, like, ok, after BG2 she would stream DOS2. But now it all sounds like (she stopped streaming for ~2 months in late 2019) she'll switch from BG2 to BG3 when the time comes.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    StummvonBordwehrmlneveseSjerrie
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Don't see the point at all for having combat motion/animation in a TB game. It looks completely artificial and fake, and ultimately pointless. It only serves to emphasize the irritating stop-start-stop-start jerkiness of TB combat. If there is going to be combat animation, I hope there will be an option to turn it off, and in that way keep combat moving along at least a little bit quicker.
    From the very start, I wanted BG3 to be like Dragon Age games, but more. I think using motion capture is a must for such a game. And TB/not TB - the game might still be with TB combat, even with shiny graphics. You will need the graphics for non-combat exploration, character interactions, cutscenes etc. Maybe not in combat it'll be using first person or over-the-shoulder view (and companions will just follow, Dragon Age: Inquisition style), and in combat, it'll be different.

As mentioned in https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-the-witcher-2-2020-vision-retrospective, "it's pretty standard to run the highest quality character models in cutscenes only, dropping to lower LOD representations in-game". Maybe something similar is used here.

Still, the combat mode hasn't been announced. It still might be a RtwP game, making it VERY similar to Dragon Age: Inquisition (with interactions etc) in how it plays, it still might be a Real Time game like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim (a leak from @deltago 's source says BG3 will have combat/view similar to the Elder Scrolls series (here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1080328#Comment_1080328 , more on the Steam forum - https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/1643167006261399026/?ctp=2#c1643167006268758257 ), or it can have TB combat. This is why the news about getting the date of the reveal is exciting, - to finally see what it's all about, after all these months.
    ThacoBellspacejaws
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Really not keen on playing a turn-based Skyrim myself. I mean... what's the point of having such an 1st/3rd person ARPG without fast paced combat? That would be almost as bad of an idea as a turn-based Dark Souls knockoff. Kinda seems like RT suddenly became the more likely contender for BG3 than before? Given WotC's new-found allergy to top-down camera angles and all.

Granted: I could see how a turn-based Daggerfall-esque D&D game in 1st person could cater towards the Wizardry crowd. But I honestly doubt the source of that quote did actually mean the older TES games with that sentence. Since for a lot of people anything pre-Oblivion is too obscure/old/ugly to get into nowadays.
    kanisathaThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    That's the thing. It's not going to be Turn Based. All the TB talk is from Larian fanboys who think all their games should be TB. The combat mechanics have not been revealed yet.

And again, this quote is dated. This person, nor I, really have any insight on what Larian is actually working on and who knows what has changed since WotC's original RfPs.
    Kamigoroshimegamike15mlnevesekanisatha
    Really not keen on playing a turn-based Skyrim myself. I mean... what's the point of having such an 1st/3rd person ARPG without fast paced combat?

So this^. This would be the worst of all things, and would be an automatic 'no' for me. If I'm going to suffer TB, then it at least needs to also be isometric.
    deltago wrote: »
    That's the thing. It's not going to be Turn Based. All the TB talk is from Larian fanboys who think all their games should be TB.
    I'm going to hold you to this. Please tell me you're not toying with my emotions here and having me open the door to being hopeful only to have my hopes crushed.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    That's the thing. It's not going to be Turn Based. All the TB talk is from Larian fanboys who think all their games should be TB.
    I'm going to hold you to this. Please tell me you're not toying with my emotions here and having me open the door to being hopeful only to have my hopes crushed.

Well don’t hold me to it. The quote is dated and it’s also wishful thinking on my part.

However, It’s easier to take a FTwP game and make TB than the other way around and options, always options is better. There is nothing saying it can’t be both.

• AerieAerie Member Posts: 226

Spoiler alert!
    The trailer is actually my grand unveiling, Baldur's Gate III is all about me.
    mlnevesemegamike15Balrog99
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Aerie wrote: »

Spoiler alert!

So is it worth playing? Are we going to see the baby's history? :)
    mlnevese wrote: »

Spoiler alert!

That's my idea for BG3. Aerie's baby gets kidnapped by a cult of Bhaal, raised to be an Angel of Death to replaced Gorion's Ward on the Throne of Bhaal.
    mlnevese
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    mlnevese wrote: »

Spoiler alert!

Is it worth playing? Yes.

Do all the new NPC'S pale in comparison to me? Big yes.

Are we going to see the runt? No.

mlnevese
    Spoiler
    The Aeriespawn activated a Sigil portal and ended up being a underpaid freeter in I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator. Serving avariel chicken wings for the rest of his life.
    mlneveseBalrog99
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    The Aeriespawn activated a Sigil portal and ended up being a underpaid freeter in I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator. Serving avariel chicken wings for the rest of his life.

The scariest part is that that dating simulator is actually pretty good by the standards of the genre. :O
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    The Spelljammer campaign setting is basically a sword & sorcery space opera set in the Material Plane. You could theoretically travel from Abeir to Toril on a spacecraft. In contrast Planescape featured dimensions and planes of existance. They were pretty distinct settings.

But it seems that went out of the window in 5e. Apparantly the Spelljammer ships now travel through the Astral Plane and not Wildspace (Spelljammer's outer space, so to speak) anymore. Or at least the interviews hinted as such. Which would be a shame if true...

Yeah. When described like that, it sounds enjoyable. I think my own issue is that I kind of prefer low-to-medium fantasy in general. Not everyone has magic. Not everyone fights dragons, etc

The idea of ships that can fly from Abeir to Toril requires a high-fantasy leap (I think) from me that I wasn't really ready to get into.

I don't mind incrementing into high fantasy as you level up, though. So I probably shouldn't just write it off.

In IWD featured centuries before the Bhallspawn saga wasn't there a gnome who crashed his flying ship in Kuldahar? Surely over the span of centuries someone had to have refined the concept. It's no stretch, imo.
    BallpointManThacoBellelminster
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Noloir wrote: »
    In IWD featured centuries before the Bhallspawn saga wasn't there a gnome who crashed his flying ship in Kuldahar? Surely over the span of centuries someone had to have refined the concept. It's no stretch, imo.

Yeah - I dont mean to suggest at all that I'm against the concept of airships, or that they cannot or should not exist within the forgotten realms campaign setting (Or frankly, anywhere. I guess I'm not a purist in that sense).

I was only speaking as it applies to me. I like keeping things within a bounded framing, world wise. That's easiest for me to control in low to medium fantasy settings.

Incidentally, my D&D campaign is progressing nicely. My players just hit level 9, which is far and away the highest I've ever DM'd at, and as I find my players growing in strength, my inclinations are to start to up the ante into higher fantasy.
    sarevok57
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited January 2020
    Full quote:
    "I doubt Larian had a choice about the time jump or the 5e rules--that's something whoever got the game was going to have to do. As I understand it WotC also (understandably) wanted a AAA game and very aggressively did *not* want a top-down POV. If the AAA thing wasn't the deal breaker for Beamdog, the top-down probably would have been. A top-down view of the action was another prerequisite of a Baldur's Gate game, at least for Trent. But WotC was determined to get their own Elder Scrolls."

Still not naming the source though. That said, who knows what Larian has convinced WotC since then.

If WoTC wants their own Elder Scrolls they should make their own Elder Scrolls. I have always wanted this, myself. Create a build, get placed into an open world with a lead or two on where to go, and take it from there. Let me explore a living, breathing Forgotten Realms town for the first time with some actual thought put into the setting and NPCs. Bethesda doesn't own the Open World RPG market and, frankly, could do with some competition given their recent releases. Of course, the first thing I would do with an open world DnD game would be to figure how to mod the entire ruleset back into 3.5 or earlier.

This almost certainly will not be that, unfortunately.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Noloir wrote: »

Yeah - I dont mean to suggest at all that I'm against the concept of airships, or that they cannot or should not exist within the forgotten realms campaign setting (Or frankly, anywhere. I guess I'm not a purist in that sense).

I was only speaking as it applies to me. I like keeping things within a bounded framing, world wise. That's easiest for me to control in low to medium fantasy settings.

Incidentally, my D&D campaign is progressing nicely. My players just hit level 9, which is far and away the highest I've ever DM'd at, and as I find my players growing in strength, my inclinations are to start to up the ante into higher fantasy.

awesome to hear :)

our group tonight just hit level 28 in our campaign which is the highest level we've ever got to in the 20 years we've been playing DnD

in fact, my barbarian tonight has been waiting 14 real life years for this level up, and can finally take that first level in legendary dreadnaught :)
    BallpointMan
    Now the remaining question is: how long will Google Stadia survive in 2020? Considering both GeForce NOW and Project xCloud do a better job on the tech side. And offer actually huge game libraries for less bucks.

Either way it will be a tough launch for Larian.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    If it would be a Stadia exclusive it would be a huge mess, but things being what they are I do not think Larian will be overly affected if Stadia goes under. But it seems they sort of bet on the wrong horse for this new market.
    mlnevese
    It won't be a Stadia exclusive, the game has a page on GOG and Steam. What is interesting about that article is the mention of 2020 there, probably for the first time from a semi-official source.
    mlnevese
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    It won't be a Stadia exclusive, the game has a page on GOG and Steam. What is interesting about that article is the mention of 2020 there, probably for the first time from a semi-official source.

I believe that Stadia will be a CONSOLE exclusive(ie - not on $ony/M$ consoles)

I will take "How to kill a game before it is even released" for 500 Alex.

There are certain games I prefer to play on console (open world, exploration, first person view, anything with multibutton combat) and things I prefer to play on the PC (Isometric or TB). I probably wont get BG3 for the PC if it is the former, and I helluv won't get Stadia either.

If it is going to be launched this Summer, I honestly think that's too soon for a game of this magnitude especially when we know nothing about it. I'd be extremely leery of pre-ordering regardless of what is shown.

I really, really, really, really hope this will only be a timed exclusive with the other (much better) consoles getting the game sometime down the road (you know, after all the bug and glitches have been addressed because it was pushed out too soon in an attempt to save a dying console).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2020

Worldwide gameplay reveal on Feb 27th at PAX east
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseSjerrieQuartz