Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    What I find a bit ironic is that the way they are now implementing reactions would have worked equally well in RTwP, while many of the TB proponents said that it could not be done. (Don't misunderstand me, I don't think it is a bad way to bring reactions to a PC game.)
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I have no issue with the level cap being 10. In fact I actually enjoy the early low level play of Baldur’s Gate 1.
    Latin spell incantations confirmed :smile:
    Thanks for posting these @JuliusBorisov Loving some of these answers so far :smile: My hype is real :smiley:
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    I’m at work so not able to pay much attention - but level capped at 10 is really interesting. I’m not opposed (or for) that. What’s interesting though is that by 5e, 4 level 10 players can take on one Mindflayer (something like an 8CR) at a time, but definitely not an ulithaird. So the stakes and level seem a little at odds.

Also level capping at 10 can be seen as something of a tacit admission we will get a BG4.

Or perhaps an full-on old school style expansion a la ToB/TotSC. It's a good sign regardless, imo. That they want to make an epic game with a slow leveling pace, which is what these kinds of D&D CRPG's do best imo. I think some folks who got an early look at parts of the game even commented how slow the early leveling was.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    spacejaws wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i feel the same. it's like the witcher 3. dos 2 sold so well it's now the gold standered of crpgs. so if your not a fan of that style of game your out of luck.

The problem with this is: You're not out of luck. PF:KM, PoE1 and 2, Tyranny and now PF: WotR - there are options for consumers who want that kind of game.

3 of those are by the same company who deemed them a failure and is very likely to never return to the format. At best they license the engine to someone.

So you have 1 other company doing it and that's it. Not exactly swimming in it.

Pretty sure the first PoE wasn't a failure, which is why we got PoE2. Of course, PoE2 did not perform nearly as well in the market.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    IDK but the pirate theme never sell much. Gothic 2 jharkendar DLC is heavily inspired by central american mesoamerican culture and sold well but is the exception, not the rule.

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    It is disappointing that some TB fans are trying to get the team initiative part changed. Any prospect of me even considering giving the game a try depends entirely on that one thing (with the assumption that all other aspects of the game will be at least ok, and a mod will be forthcoming to increase party size).
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i feel the same. it's like the witcher 3. dos 2 sold so well it's now the gold standered of crpgs. so if your not a fan of that style of game your out of luck.

The problem with this is: You're not out of luck. PF:KM, PoE1 and 2, Tyranny and now PF: WotR - there are options for consumers who want that kind of game.

3 of those are by the same company who deemed them a failure and is very likely to never return to the format. At best they license the engine to someone.

Pretty sure the first PoE wasn't a failure, which is why we got PoE2. Of course, PoE2 did not perform nearly as well in the market.

poe 2 did not sell well as the people disappointed by poe 1 did not buy it.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited March 2020
    deltago wrote: »
    I’m at work so not able to pay much attention - but level capped at 10 is really interesting. I’m not opposed (or for) that. What’s interesting though is that by 5e, 4 level 10 players can take on one Mindflayer (something like an 8CR) at a time, but definitely not an ulithaird. So the stakes and level seem a little at odds.

Also level capping at 10 can be seen as something of a tacit admission we will get a BG4.

This.

They bit off more than they can chew by choosing Mindflayers as their main villain (or atleast starting villain) for a starting level 1 party (I blame WotC for this more than Larian). I keep hoping its a red herring and mechanic explanation more than anything thing but Sven saying it's hard to balance the encounters has me worried their trying to cram as much epicness in one go.

A dragon fight would be cool. But not for 4 level 10s
    A Lich fight would be cool. But not for 4 level 10s.

Baldur's gate did it right. Wyverns were brutal in cloakwood. They were epic enough and rare enough in the game that it felt like it was suppose to be a tough encounter. You didn't need a dragon there. That's still one of my worries.

In the gameplay, two level-one characters not only survived but defeated three bloody intellect devourers. That is absolutely incredible in D&D5e (I hate those little buggers, they are a CR2, but they could wipe out 5th level parties easily). So I think the thralls and mindflayers will be watered down a little if you have to confront them, unlike in PNP.

https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_IntellectDevourer.pdf

Post edited by PsicoVic on
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    kanisatha wrote: »
    It is disappointing that some TB fans are trying to get the team initiative part changed. Any prospect of me even considering giving the game a try depends entirely on that one thing (with the assumption that all other aspects of the game will be at least ok, and a mod will be forthcoming to increase party size).

I’m sure this isn’t a ton of solace but presumably if they change it to individual initiative, the ability will be present to go between the modes (either as an option or by modding, one would think).

poe 2 did not sell well as the people disappointed by poe 1 did not buy it.

This applies to me. That said, they did make 3 games - even if it’s by one company, that still suggests there is some kind of market for RTwP.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    PsicoVic wrote: »

This.

They bit off more than they can chew by choosing Mindflayers as their main villain (or atleast starting villain) for a starting level 1 party (I blame WotC for this more than Larian). I keep hoping its a red herring and mechanic explanation more than anything thing but Sven saying it's hard to balance the encounters has me worried their trying to cram as much epicness in one go.

Baldur's gate did it right. Wyverns were brutal in cloakwood. They were epic enough and rare enough in the game that it felt like it was suppose to be a tough encounter. You didn't need a dragon there. That's still one of my worries.

In the gameplay, two level-one characters not only survived but defeated three bloody intellect devourers. That is absolutely nooooot possible in D&D5e (I hate those little buggers, they are a CR2, but they could wipe out 5th level parties easily). So I think the thralls and mindflayers will be watered down a little if you have to confront them, unlike in PNP.

https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_IntellectDevourer.pdf

ugh... don't get me started on how they used devourers as mindless monster fodder (for level !...see already started....)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    kanisatha wrote: »

On the contrary, it is very appointing! Character based initiative is very important from a tactics and challenge perspective. Team based turns was one of the main faults of the new X-COM games and something any self respecting turn based game should do without.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2020

This.

Sorry, I don't think that is a general rule. You had illithid, dragon and lich encounters in SoD, all lower than 10 levels. I'd say those were very interesting and felt unique to kill such beasts with all you had. So it can be done, and the limit is only designers' and writers' imagination.

I like the lower level cap. It would have been hard to balance one game for levels 1-30 and it would have made it tooooooo long. Also, it immediately screams: "We can get a sequel if everything goes right". Which is exciting for me.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited March 2020

This.

Sorry, I don't think that is a general rule. You had illithid, dragon and lich encounters in SoD, all lower than 10 levels. I'd say those were very interesting and felt unique to kill such beasts with all you had. So it can be done, and the limit is only designers' and writers' imagination.

I like the lower level cap. It would have been hard to balance one game for levels 1-30 and it would have made it tooooooo long. Also, it immediately screams: "We can get a sequel if everything goes right". Which is exciting for me.

Young dragons are fine with level 10. Mind Flayers are CR 7 in 5th edition, so they are fine as well. Even Ulitharids at CR 9 are fine at the end.

Liches I think are not appropriate for level 10, unless maybe as the end boss of a campaign.

The SoD lich (the main one, not the fairly hidden one) was a special circumstance due to the OP gem you got to fight him. In general, I think SoD might have been ever better (I like it a lot) if it had not drawn quite so heavily from SoA monsters and plot elements (Irenicus, liches, dragons, illithids, drows), but that is a different discussion.

But yeah, the level cap question came from me and I am really happy to hear that it is at 10 instead of 20. Original BG series would have been a worse game if you had been level 20 by the time you fight Sarevok under Baldur's Gate.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I am so extremely excited for this game. Every new detail, every new interview, cements for me that I'm going to have an absolute blast with Baldur's Gate III and I know my first playthrough is gonna be as that cool githyanki before I do a playthrough with a character I roll myself bc I love her to death already.
    <3:)<3
    @GenderNihilismGirdle I have got to admit that lady Githyanki does look really cool. I’ll probably at least have her in my party as I plan to play my own character and not one of the origin characters.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    We could still have Lich and Dragon encounters in a level 10 group, I believe. Not sure how it works in 5E, but in 3E a mage could become a Lich as early as level 11, making them a viable challenge for a level 10 party. Likewise, we could always meet a younger dragon. Even a pair of Young Adult Dragons would probably make for a very memorable dragon fight.

I'm a teeny bit disappointed with the level 10 cap simply because that means less character building options and an inability to see the full scope of a character's power in a single game, but then again, BG1 had a low level cap too and it wound up being an incredible game, so I'm not penalizing BG3 over it.

I'm more disappointed over the party size limit being 4 characters (which restricts the amount of in-party banter between different companions, if nothing else), but depending on how exactly Larian codes things behind the scenes, it might be something the player can adjust using consoles or mods. We'll wait and see.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Wait, party size 4 or only 4 companions (with party size 5 - companions +PC)?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Mirandel wrote: »
    Wait, party size 4 or only 4 companions (with party size 5 - companions +PC)?
    3 companions and the player character to a maximum party size of 4. Animal companions, familars and summons not included.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    byrne20 wrote: »
    I have no issue with the level cap being 10. In fact I actually enjoy the early low level play of Baldur’s Gate 1.

There are a long time since i played BG1 but can you don't fight mindflayers on BG1 with a low level party if i remember correctly; in fact on BG2 they was a pain in the **** even for relative high level parties. My concern with this level cap is that or the fights will become extremely gimmicky or monsters will be extremely nerfed
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I also noticed they said all companions are origin characters. So it means that if Minsc is in the game, he is just a follower for a quest or two (for that 5th portrait place), or just a side character who can't be included into the party (similar to Jahan in D:OS 2 - Jahan was a companion in D:OS - but in D:OS 2 he was a source teacher). Why do I think so? It sounds 99.99% unlikely they'll give you a chance to play as Minsc.
    Agreed @JuliusBorisov I don’t think that would make Minsc a recruit able party member either. It depends on his situation I guess at the start of the game. Is he still petrified? Or will he have already been released. Either way it wouldn’t really work as an origin character I guess.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    That... is bad. And sad. Not a deal breaker, even one companion is better then nothing, but ... sad.
    Well, SoS was moddable in the way to increase party size too. Hopefully, this will remain.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Sigh.. I wish the world stopped obsess over Minsc and if they have to add old characters instead bring back the ones that are actually interesting..

Bring back Cernd! :D