Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    @Kamigoroshi, if my memory serves me correctly, the backer poll (in which I voted) for T:ToN ended up actually VERY close, almost 50-50, and TB won by literally only a handful of votes.

But yeah, not getting any more T:ToN games is a real shame. I really liked that setting and its lore. A better-funded follow-on game could be so good.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Torment is TB, and the EEs do not count as new games. On the other side there have been quite a number of TB cRPGs released over the past five years. Like I keep saying, just go and do a keyword search for "CRPG" and "turn based" versus "CRPG" and "RTwP" on Steam. The former will generate several pages of games. The latter will not even fill out one page of results.

Ya, I couldn't remember if it was or not and I was attempting to look it up but couldn't find anything. Should have left it out. I knew someone would correct me.

However, I do not agree that the EEs don't count as new games, epically the one I counted PST:EE. I think a lot of people who never played the original would have picked this up and play it for the first time, or kept it on their radar.

As for isometric, turn-based CRPGs through Steam, released from Nov 2016 - Sept 2018 I have:
    T:ToN
    Atom RPG

Taking out Isometric (as DOS2 didn't even show up, but DOS did...?)but putting in Fantasy instead
    We have
    Nighingale Downs (mixed review)
    DOS2
    Grimoire (mixed reviews)
    Avadon 3: The Warborn (positive reviews)

So I do still think it applies. DoS2 was the best Fantasy Roleplaying game for a good while. Where RtwP had a lot more to choose from.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the main issue here is we had an oversaturation. we had the original ie being redone for modern systems coming out at the same time as the ones inspired by them.

so it was easier for one to say play bg 1 and 2 or pst and compare them to poe and tides.

had the ee not come out at all the newer crpgs would not look as inferior to some players. but because they came out at the same time you can clearly see why something like poe was lacking compared to say bg 2.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    deltago wrote: »
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Torment is TB, and the EEs do not count as new games. On the other side there have been quite a number of TB cRPGs released over the past five years. Like I keep saying, just go and do a keyword search for "CRPG" and "turn based" versus "CRPG" and "RTwP" on Steam. The former will generate several pages of games. The latter will not even fill out one page of results.

Ya, I couldn't remember if it was or not and I was attempting to look it up but couldn't find anything. Should have left it out. I knew someone would correct me.

However, I do not agree that the EEs don't count as new games, epically the one I counted PST:EE. I think a lot of people who never played the original would have picked this up and play it for the first time, or kept it on their radar.

As for isometric, turn-based CRPGs through Steam, released from Nov 2016 - Sept 2018 I have:
    T:ToN
    Atom RPG

Taking out Isometric (as DOS2 didn't even show up, but DOS did...?)but putting in Fantasy instead
    We have
    Nighingale Downs (mixed review)
    DOS2
    Grimoire (mixed reviews)
    Avadon 3: The Warborn (positive reviews)

So I do still think it applies. DoS2 was the best Fantasy Roleplaying game for a good while. Where RtwP had a lot more to choose from.

You picked a really small tinescale there. I mean if I can list the big ones.

Shadowrun Returns
    Shadowrun Dragonfall
    Shadow Run Hong Kong
    Wasteland 2
    Wasteland 2 Directors Cut (if we are counting EE's)
    Torment Tides of Numera
    The Banner Saga
    The Banner Saga 2
    The Banner Saga 3
    The Bards Tale IV
    Xcom Enemy Unknown
    Xcom 2
    Xcom 2 War of the Chosen
    Mutant Year Zero
    Divinty OS1
    Divinity OS2
    Darkest Dungeon

All released in about a from about 2014 onwards I think? And these are just the successful ones. I'm sure there's more deeper and this isn't considering the games that border on more JRPG's stylings like South Park and Dragon Quest.

So I think it's a wierd argument to say that RTWP was somehow more saturated than TB games. I think maybe Obsidian saturated their own games? As I felt poe1 tyanny then poe2 was a pretty rapid development.
    crpgs in general were over staruated. there was just way to many coming out and i think it burnt alot of people out. and besides the shadow run games none of the newer ones really grabbed me.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    megamike15 wrote: »
    crpgs in general were over staruated. there was just way to many coming out and i think it burnt alot of people out. and besides the shadow run games none of the newer ones really grabbed me.

Ah I get you. I agree they came thick and fast and varying degrees of quality and reception. Its pretty great though I've enjoyed most of them but just wish some tried to break the strategy mold a bit.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I agree, but I would go further by questioning the extent to which many of those "cRPGs" have actually been RPGs. To me, far too many of the contemporary cRPGs are in reality tactical combat games with some RPG elements mixed in.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291

Yeah I really agree with that, in hindsight I think the Shadowrun games were far more elegant in their execution (the roughness of Returns aside) of giving the best of things you want from a CRPG, great setting, writing, characters, gameplay, choices and opportunity for role play. Dragonfall and Hong Kong were just far better to me than the Pillars games (which I played the most, I finished 1 and got like 85% of the way through 2), Pathfinder (its dull), the Original Sin games (first is bland, second I actually think completely sucks) and based on that, yeah BG3 isn't even on my radar really.

I'd love another Shadowrun though, maybe we'll see that once HBS are done with their Battletech commitments.
    yeah when i say shadowrun i am talking about dragonfalll and hongkong. they are great games and unlike all the others coming out during the new era try to do their own thing and are not inspired by something else from the past.

• DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    wow, Baldur's Gate 3 looks really bad
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited March 2020
    Wooah, you really narrowed down the list of CRPG games. Try to search indie games and japanese games too, and you will find, only in 2018-2019:

Knights of the chalice, Legend of heroes: trails in the sky, Trails of cold Steel, Divinity: Fallen Heroes, Disgaea, Forged of Blood, Operencia, Blackguards, Battlechasers, dead state,

Indivisible, Project Sakura Wars, The Hand of Merlin, Overland, Ultimate Adom, Othercide, Tale of Ronin, Ash of gods: Redemption; Dark

Crystal Tactics,Broken lines, Iron Danger, Edge of eternity, Unsung Story:

Tale of the Guardians, Romancing Saga, Soul Saga, Utarerumono: Prelude to the fallen,

Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The amulet of chaos, Crist Tales, Wildermyth: Stories of the

Yondering Lands, We are the Plague, Eidolons: Nethergate, Encased, Heralds of the Order,

, RAM Pressure, Broken Lines, Grand Guilds, Tenderfoot Tactics, The

Protagonist, Arcadian Atlas, Alder’s Blood, ColonyShip-4: Survivors, Guile & Glory:

Firstborn, Monster Sanctuary, Rising Lords,...

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/ps4/rpg/turn-based/33
    https://turnbasedlovers.com/lists/top-upcoming-tactical-turn-based-rpgs-of-2019/

Some promising RTwP titles too: Wasteland 3, Realms Beyond, Solasta,

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, Black geyser or The Dark eye: Book of Heroes. I loved the

Drakensang titles based in TDE (They also have some RTwP in the franchise, but uses a isometric 3rd person view similar to

Dragon age games),
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @Dorcus Can’t be for everyone I guess...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I mean, it's looks is it's foremost quality right now, so I don't know what you're on about :P
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    scriver wrote: »
    I mean, it's looks is it's foremost quality right now, so I don't know what you're on about :P

I mean, it looks like something between NWN and DA:O, not Baldur's Gate.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited March 2020
    It looks much prettier than NWN or DA:O.

I also found DA:O compared pretty favorably to BG.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    So it looks like the CRPG's Bioware made after the BG series and that's a bad thing?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Just your usual case of a game with identity disorder.
    DinoDin wrote: »
    So it looks like the CRPG's Bioware made after the BG series and that's a bad thing?

Have ya seen Bioware's stuff lately?
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Not sure how the latest Mass Effect is relevant to a comparison of their fantasy CRPG's and even one D&D RPG made right after the BG series.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm really not sure any of that is relevant to BG3. It's a different studio.

Not sure how the latest Mass Effect is relevant to a comparison of their fantasy CRPG's and even one D&D RPG made right after the BG series.

Then why did you bring it up? If you think it has no relevance here, not really sure why you made the comparison to begin with.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Gee guys stop being such quibbleprigs
    scriver wrote: »
    Gee guys stop being such quibbleprigs
    Fiddlesticks!
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Then why did you bring it up? If you think it has no relevance here, not really sure why you made the comparison to begin with.

Not to nitpick, but you brought NWN, DA:O, and Bioware's latest stuff into the thread. We responded to that.

I didn't bring up Mass Effect, for the record.

Not to nitpick, but you brought NWN, DA:O, and Bioware's latest stuff into the thread. We responded to that.

Only in aesthetics.
    Personally I think comparing the subsequent D&D title by Bioware and the title that they literally marketed as their "spiritual successor" to BG are fine, and even positive comparison points for BG3. I'm not sure what people are expecting? Another top-down, 2d, static background game that looks like warcraft2?

I dunno, to me, the game looking similar to what Bioware would have done had it kept making BG games is a favorable, not a disfavorable comparison. Just my opinion, of course.
    I dread the day when BG4 will look comparable to a turn-based Anthem (or other newer titles) of Bioware.
    Did Bioware make Anthem and then market it as a game for BG fans? Perhaps I'm mistaken, I haven't paid attention to them for awhile.

It's just from my point of view, people want Larian to respect the "soul" or whatever of the BG series, and it seems to me if BG3 also resembles the two particular titles I'm mentioning, that seems to me like that studio is trying its hardest to do a faithful, respectful progression of the series. Unless what people really want is an RPG with gameplay that resembles a late 90s RTS?