Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @scriver that halfling in the gameplay video did have a rather large head lol
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    byrne20 wrote: »

He reminds me the gnomes from Harry Potter movie series :p
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    That statue looks so weird man

umm, maybe a high level wizard cast Grease on it, OK?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I bet physicians in Faerun hear that one a lot
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Cahir wrote: »
    byrne20 wrote: »

He reminds me the gnomes from Harry Potter movie series :p

I think the "halfling" is actually a gnome, because halflings in the CC look very different, with round ears,etc

9FADf8R.jpg
    Oh, that's a good point actually. I assumed the guy was halfling because the DnD has a history of making halfling heads look silly (presumably in a misguided attempt to make them visually different as supposed to just being "short humans") and the 5th ed play books had a bunch of head-too-big-for-them-bodies halflings in it so I made the thought-leap that it might be the desired visual design for them of the edition.

That's good news for us halfling fans though. My condolences to the gnome enthusiasts ;)
    scriver wrote: »
    Oh, that's a good point actually. I assumed the guy was halfling because the DnD has a history of making halfling heads look silly (presumably in a misguided attempt to make them visually different as supposed to just being "short humans") and the 5th ed play books had a bunch of head-too-big-for-them-bodies halflings in it so I made the thought-leap that it might be the desired visual design for them of the edition.

That's good news for us halfling fans though. My condolences to the gnome enthusiasts ;)

It's maybe.. just *maybe* that this particular gnome is an unique in his ugliness, and the rest of them will maybe be more like Jubilost from P:K.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    9FADf8R.jpg

Good thing I have a long-standing rule in my tabletop game that any gnomes who DARE show their face in my adventures will face a messy, gruesome death before the first session is over. ;)
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I don't know what you guys are on about. That one is obviously a half-elf / half-tapir. Just look at that proboscis of his!

it grants +1 to Nature checks involving gathering soft vegetation on the forest and riverbed floor
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Dorcus wrote: »
    I don't know what you guys are on about. That one is obviously a half-elf / half-tapir. Just look at that proboscis of his!

it grants +1 to Nature checks involving gathering soft vegetation on the forest and riverbed floor

And a +10 to seduce elephants, tapirs and any beasts with large ears and nose, I assume (And a -100 to anyone else)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I think I need to Google to understand this. Is it now June 13, 14 or 15 in which they show something?
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    lroumen wrote: »
    I think I need to Google to understand this. Is it now June 13, 14 or 15 in which they show something?

I'm guessing it was and will still be a 3-day event? Honestly never heard of Guerilla Collective...
    edited June 2020
    The guerilla corrective website says the 13th. Apparently it is a digital version of E3 but mostly for indie game developers. It was indeed supposed to be a 3 day event, from June 6-8 but they shifted to June 13-15 to make room for the black lives matter phenomenon.

I guess they do it because indie is more open format for these things than large companies or something?
    The guerilla corrective website says the 13th. Apparently it is a digital version of E3 but mostly for indie game developers. It was indeed supposed to be a 3 day event, from June 6-8 but they shifted to June 13-15 to make room for the black lives matter phenomenon.

I guess they do it because indie is more open format for these things than large companies or something?

I don't get it, so now Larian is an indie company, or what?
    It is not for me to say how people should make the distinction, but indie seems to be the main premise of the event.
    It is not for me to say how people should make the distinction, but indie seems to be the main premise of the event.

I just thought that Larian is way past being considered as indie developer, especially after DOS and DOS2 successes. I'm just surprised they plan to present their game during the event for indie developers, that's all.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Cahir wrote: »
    I don't get it, so now Larian is an indie company, or what?
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Larian was founded in '96, making that studio nearly as old as Bioware. It is by all accounts a medium sized game company that has developed over 14 game titles. Currently Larian Studios employs over 250 people. Crowdfunding a game or two does definitely not automatically make them an Indie developer by any stretch of the word. Something not few DOS fans tend to occasionally forget.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Kinda makes you wonder if they're "at" Guerilla just to make sure they're not overshadowed by massive AAA-titles...
    It's an IGN event so they probably know better what indie is and what not
    Being indie is about being independent from publisher/music labels/other similar overhead which can influence what you create. Basically in relation to the game business this means self-publishing and self-marketing and that your studio also can't belong to a bigger developer house.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    indie is a budget thing mostly.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Worth remembering is that Larian itself nowadays fills the role as the "big" developer house. This could be seen with the development of DOS2 and now BG3 as well. Anshar Studios (which recently had a kickstarter on their own) being one of the studios which were commissioned to help with the creation of said titles.

Being independed, self-publishing and self-marketing isn't the full sum of parts of what Indie entails. There are lots of smaller game studios that aren't self-publishing, yet still are considered Indie. Similarly, medium to big sized game companies often times have no need for a seperate publisher and do it in-house instead. Bethesda would fall under the latter. Which I also wouldn't categorize as an indie developer either. Often times the word is reserved for tiny to small sized developers with limited funds working on their very first game. The folks over at Larian are old veterans in comparison to them. I may not appreciate how they shifted ther focus with their newer titles. But I do acknowledge their experience which they had aquired during the last 24 years. As that made them one of the most well known game devs of Europe even before DOS hit the scene.
    Bethesda is under Zenimax.

I do agree that budget also matters. But you aren't to count as indie if you're under a publisher even if you've got a bunch of leaves for economy. That's like saying music is indie because of what it sounds like, whicb everyone knows only super unhip people do
    obsidian was considered an indie studio despite making what most consider AAA games.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Obsidian was never considered AAA. They themselves say the AAA RPG they currently have in the works is their first AAA game. Same for inXile and their current AAA project. And BG3 is Larian's first AAA project as well.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Obsidian was never considered AAA. They themselves say the AAA RPG they currently have in the works is their first AAA game. Same for inXile and their current AAA project. And BG3 is Larian's first AAA project as well.

i dunno i think kotor 2 and new vegas could be considered AAA games when they were made.
    New Vegas... Maybe. With Kotor2 I must disagree.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2020
    I find the use of AAA to be rather meaningless since we never talk about AA or A companies/titles. Having AAA and "the rest" isn't a particularly practical scale. Where in this grand scale do we tip over from "the rest" into AAA? Is there a fixed point like budget, scale, number of people working in the project? If not, it get very subjective and hard to agree.

Is anyone or anything ever categorized into AA, A or even B, C etc? I've at least never seen it. If those were used discussions regarding if FO NV was AAA or maybe AA would have been more meaningful.

Perhaps sounds a bit ranty, but I'm genuinely curious. I guess I could google, but it's more interesting to hear your thoughts.

I went ahead and googled anyways. Patience is not one of my virtues. Reddit is as always a fountain of information, some good, most not. Fun nonetheless to see I was far from the first to be confused by this arbitrary scale. Link to that thread in spoilers