Skip to content

[v1.53] Helga, a Dwarven Priestess of Haela Brightaxe for BG:EE and SoD and EET

Comments

• zelurkerzelurker Member Posts: 168
    Yeah I finally had the crash in this game too, no dialog before resting, just rest -> crash in a tavern.
    I tried your proposed workaround : dismiss helga 1st, rest, then recruit her back, rest again -> it worked.
    Let's hope it won't crash again next time !
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    It has something to do with her kit + being level one (If she gets enough experience to level up and you level up it also will prevent a crash). I fixed it for the blade, but not for the hurl stone spell, so I may just move the hurl spell to level 2 if I can't figure it out.

edited October 2019
    Okay, fixed the hurl spell too. I'll have to remember innate level 1 abilities need to have a min level of 0.

If you have an old game, I'd recommend just following my work around (Rest or level her up), otherwise patch 1.31 should be released this evening which will fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience of this bug.
    Post edited by Skitia on
    @Skitia well I got my crash at level 2 for Helga, and about her hurl stone power, I actually never saw it as an innate power, usually it appears as a spell in her available spells, once with a bless icon but usually it has a "heal minor wounds" icon, you see what it is because of the tooltip which appears when the mouse is over it. And so in fact I never used the power.
    edited October 2019
    It'd happen even if you never used it.

I just updated it to 1.31, so future users won't have this issue, thanks for reporting it.
    Excellent job, thanks, I was afraid the definition of the character would remain in the save and ignore the definition files of the mod, but it works without doing anything, I had kept a save just before my "crashing rest", and this time it works perfectly and hurling stone has become an innate power... excellent ! :)
    There might still be another problem in the character definition : I just reached level 3, on the text for the new level I got 1 new level 2 spell which is ok, but then when I went to her spells selection, I had 4 available new slots at level 2 ! Actually I have a ring which gives me 1 bonus spell, but with 4 she becomes a super powerful cleric even without her renowed sword ! :)
    I didn't rest yet so I don't know if she will really get the 4 spells memorized...
    It's not a big issue, not really a bug, but there might still be something to fix then...
    edited October 2019
    That makes sense, 16 wisdom gives +2 spells at level 2, so with your ring adding an additional +1, you've given her 4. The only fix I'd apply is a consideration to reduce it to 15, but that'd put her at 81 total, so I'd have to put her plus one somewhere else so she matches the other NPC clerics. (Probably in int or charisma, as I don't want to give her a health or AC bonus.) I'll consider arguments for keeping or reducing it.
    Ah ok, my bad, she got immediately as many level 2 spells as what she had for level 1, so it seemed a little excessive, maybe it's ok after all.
    At level 1, she really is a "glass canon", against the boss of nashkel mines (mulahey ?) she scored a critical hit with a damage of 37 + 1 fire from her sword, when she has only 8 hp ! That didn't kill him, but he forgot totally the part where he says he surrenders before attacking again... !
    She is almost an avatar of her god with this sword and not a simple cleric, I guess an avatar would have the sword to last longer though, but still it's quite impressive !
    Thanks for the fun anyway ! :)
    edited December 2019
    Thinking about it, I decided to adjust Helga's stats. Her next update (Which will be when she's bundled with Recorder, probably this week or next!) will have her wisdom lowered to 12 and her constitution increased to 14. She's not meant to be a caster cleric, and since she can bring high damage in her low levels, a nice balance is a spell slot pinch in those same levels. To compensate, her shorty saves are increased one with the con bonus, though she gets no bonus health from the update.

Other News:

Given no distractions, a good estimation for Recorder's release will be this Friday, while a longer estimate will probably be the weekend after. She comes with all the typical follower content: Quests, Talks, Player Interactive Dialogue, a unique Kit, and crossmod. Quite a few are with Aura, and all of my other NPCs will cross a bit. She can play short tunes with her flute via a Socialize Dialogue (A sort of equivalent to flirts, but not necessarily romantic intended). While I originally was going for short male only, I've decided to expand it to any male for those who want to pursue a romance in SoD and eventual BG2 content.

After she's released, I'll probably take it easy for the rest of December save for bug fixing and start work on the BG2 sections in January.

I don't think the website will be finished by Friday, but once it's done all of my files will be hosted there as well as here and any other outlets I pick.
    ilduderinomegamike15Isewein
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Thanks for all your efforts, I am looking forward
    edited December 2019
    Minor Balance Update for Helga:
    Wisdom reduced to 12.
    Int increased to 11
    Con increased to 14.

One real life minute delay added between my NPC Triggered Talks to avoid music overlap for those who install it. (Does not affect standard NPCs). I wish there was a way to add songs into the MUS files instead, but this will do.
    1.41 Includes:
    * Moved Helga from South of Beregost to North of Beregost, on the road. This should allow her to be retrieved a little earlier.
    * Expanded some talks.
    * Increased Talk Timer length.
    * Fixed an issue where she would not have level one healing spells in BG:EE

1.42 includes:
    * Increased experience for killing the Ogre Leader Helga sought.
    * Added a party comment in regards to another ogre in the same area.
    * Had her reminder timer dialogue not fire if in the area you need to be to complete the quest.
  • StratosjStratosj Member Posts: 30
    Hi Skitia, yesterday I found out Helga also suffers the LoB difficulty bug. It will probably be same for all your NPCs, though I couldn't confirm that yet :#
    Yeah, they all need the same fix. They'll all be adjusted this weekend.
    Stratosj
    edited January 2020
    Helga is now updated to 1.43. This includes:

-Nightmare Mode Fix.
    -Correct EET compatibility, does not have to be installed before it anymore.
    -Some Dialogue tweaking.
    -Spell Changes:
    -Flamebolt:
    * Duration Flatlined to 1 turn for all levels (Used to be Five Rounds + Five per ten)
    * Removed Bonus Physical Damage, is now 1d10 +X Fire rather than 1d10+X, +X Fire.
    * Fire and Thaco Bonus increases by one for every five levels, capping at a bonus of five at 20.
    - Hurl Stone
    * Casting Time increased to 4
    New Berserk Auto Ability:
    -When Dropped below 20% Health, Helga will Berserk as per the Berserker's Rage, with all the bonuses and penalties. She will not berserk again until the party has rested, and cannot be commanded to berserk like a regular berserker. This is to fit into the lore of plenty of Haela's clergy often having a berserker's nature.
    Post edited by Skitia on
  • EekanImpEekanImp Member Posts: 28
    I've run into a bug on install - unless this choice was intentional - but I thought I'd chime in anyway. When I attempted to install Helga there was an error where it was looking for files in the Vienxay folder.

A simple enough fix on my end, since I intend to install Vienxay too, thus I moved the folder over and then finished both installs without issue. But, if someone doesn't intend to install Vienxay, then the Helga mod cannot find the files in the setup-Helga.tp2 file. I attached an image to show the code in question.

btgsoa409bas.jpg

( The mod version - 1.43 - is mentioned in the image. I believe it's the newest one, since I downloaded it today, but if this has already been fixed I apologize. :( )

Beyond that I just want to say that I'm looking forward to a playthrough with all your NPCs. Thank you so much for creating these mods. <3
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    That issue didn't happen for me in v1.42.
    EekanImp
  • EekanImpEekanImp Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2020
    I imagine the tp2 file was altered between versions then. The fix, I believe, would be to alter the path to Helga/Lib/ - which hosts similar files - or the third used 'mod folder' method?

I redownloaded the file from Github, using the link provided in the first post, and the 1.43 tp2 remains similar to the one I posted. :)
    edited January 2020
    It should be fixed now, probably silly copy-paste error from me, thus:

-Fixed silly copy-paste error.
    -Made slight modification to second conversation between Recorder and Helga.
    Gusinda
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Hi - I'm almost finished a BGEE/SoD game and already toying with my next game. I love the idea of Helga, but would like to know more about the kit. Are there any restrictions or disadvantages to a Priestess of Haela kit?
    edited January 2020
    It's styled like the other cleric kits, so just alignment (CG, CN, and NG, and race must be dwarf).

Otherwise there aren't any "Disadvantages", though Helga herself is a bit spell starved at the beginning due to low wisdom compared to other clerics. This balances out the damage and pseudo-warrior aspects she brings to the table with her high strength.

I did notice I forgot to update spell descriptions though in the class description, so a minor 1.45v update includes:
    -Fix to info text about Helga's class.
    -Halved duration of Flamebolt to balance class in line with other clerics.
    Post edited by Skitia on
    Long time no see, I just made a quick game to test a few things, and took Helga again...
    Well in my last game she was a curiosity because she was like a glass canon, now I am afraid that you weakened her so much for balance that she's not good at anything anymore :
    on spells level she is now extremely weak, she gets 1 level 1 spell at level 1, and then 1 more at level 2, and 1 level 2 spell at level 3, which makes a total of 3 spells at level 3 ! It's so low that you must either give her only healing spells or try to play without a healer...
    And for a warrior with her super sword : the spell is quite long to cast and its duration is very short, so if you launch it in an emergency usually it doesn't work, and you can't cast it before a big fight, plus she has such a low dexterity that she is no good with any throwing weapon.
    So I just gave up on her in Nashkel and replaced her by Branwen, she is only level 2 here so I loose about 1000 points of xp but she already has 4 level 1 spells and a good dexterity, will work much better!

Too bad...
    Skitia
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the feedback @zelurker

In my own playthrough I think I'm going to agree with you and say I nerfed the sword a little too much. It's not really usable in an emergency, which is when I always try to use it. I'll expand it's length and reduce it's casting time when I get a chance, I just need to figure out the number that works.

I don't want to touch the wisdom though because I want her to be more warrior than healer at the beginning, at least, and Tomes of Wisdom can exist as aid. Plus her planned BG2 quest has a fork (Assuming success) where her wisdom or con can be increased by two to address her slightly weaker state than other clerics. Early spell slots grow redundant later on clerics so I think it is a fair trade off for more warrior-like attributes, but I could be in the wrong.

I've not tried throwing weapons on her, I've tended to give her a shield, but I'll have to try it since she is using the dexterity gloves in my party.
    I think innate powers should be immediate or almost... you could imagine she raises her hand, shouting her god'name and that's it, she holds the sword ! And yeah being able to trust this sword for longer would be nice too... ! Counting on tomes of knowledge & gauntlets of dexterity for her is a little mean I would say, Keldorn has a similar problem with his dexterity in bg2, but for him once he has the gauntlets suddenly his crossbow becomes very useful too, Helga has no ranged weapon perk points... If you lowered her wisdom that much, maybe you can raise the dexterity a little then...
    anyway, your choice !
    edited April 2020
    Helga's Next Update for tomorrow will have:
    1: Wisdom increased to 13: Her start was a little too crippling in terms of spell usage at level 1. Will only work for users who have never entered the area Helga spawns in.
    2: Flamebolt casting time halved from 4->2, which should make it a little more useful to cast in a pinch.
    3: Stone Hurl casting time reduced from 4->3, 4 is a little too long a casting time for both innate spells.
    4: Fix for Flamebolt bug where the duration was not actually one turn, but five rounds.
    5: Correction of Spell Descriptions
    Post edited by Skitia on
    edited April 2020
    I went back and forth on the above, so this is the actual final update that was pushed for 1.45:
    1: Wisdom increased to 13, Constitution increased to 15. This should make the beginning a little bit less miserable for new games with Helga.
    2: Flamebolt revised:
    ->Thaco bonus set to 3 and does not scale.
    ->Casting time remains the same, but duration doubled to one turn at all levels.
    ->Removed the ability to cast spells while the spell is active
    ->Acts as a +3 weapon in terms of enchantment versus a +1
    Flamebolt matched all other weapon summoning times, and was actually faster than Seeker Sword, so I decided to leave it be. It is slightly stronger at level 1 with the caveat of lost spells (Of which she'll have few as is). Seeker Sword gets another attack per round and thaco bonus over Flamebolt, but Flamebolt has scaling damage, up to +5 at 20. Seeker Sword has better scaling duration but Flamebolt lasts a bit longer up front. if I do any further changes, it will be to reduce the APR bonus to 0.5, but I think it's at an okay spot for now.
    3: Hurl Stone Casting Time Reduced. This should make it a little more appealing to use.
    3: Spell Descriptions updated (Website will be updated as well soon after I update Emily.
    Gusinda
    What's this "seeker sword" you are talking about ? I know Mordenkainen's Sword, but your seeker sword isn't even on the usual spells pages... is it an innate power though ? if not you can't compare casting time !
    Seeker Sword is a Priest or Helm innate ability.