Skip to content

[v1.1] Skitia's NPCs For BG2:EE and EET

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2022
    The newest Artisan's Kitpacks indeed migrated Emily's Arcane Archer (multi)kit combinations and it should be installed from there.

Also, in general, kitmods come a lot later than NPC mods and I never really seen a recommendation claiming otherwise (besides Emily's older installations). NPC -> item(tweaks) -> spell(tweaks) -> kits. This is because a fair amount of kits derive their effects of already existing spells which might end up omitting some rules from this (just one example, if one installs SCS's Cure/Cause Wounds tweak before kits, then both Bardic Wonders' Troubadour and Song & Silence's Chorister bard spell counterparts will also benefit from the buffed effect scaling, because both kits grab the respective priest spells during installation and convert them to kit-dedicated wizard ones during install for themselves).

Another example to prove kits should come after NPCs is that if an NPC-related quest opens a vendor/adds new items which might not be implemented as limited only to the NPC, kitmods which rely on op319 for item useability (Faiths and Powers, I Hate Undead, Shaman kits in general AFAIK) might end up missing out on the item to expose/limit it for themselves.

Even PI's suggestive groups suggest kits after spells and after NPCs.
    Post edited by GraionDilach on
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    GraionDilach gave a really nice full explanation.

The simplest one though, is that doing it before simply won't work.

My newest NPC is also going to have the option to use another ArtisanKit, Invisible Blade, otherwise it comes with a version I created. That one may require Invisible Blade pre-installed for now.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    edited July 2022
    Okay, thanks GraionDilach for that information! :)

Looking at my notes I see that kits should indeed be installed near the end . Sorry for my earlier mistake.

What made me think that NPCs that use custom kits should be installed after those kits is that Tipps (the IWD EE NPC) requires the custom kit installed first. I had assumed that the NPC mod had to "detect" that the kit was installed in order for the NPC to be given that kit.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 498
    edited July 2022
    Skitia wrote: »
    -You should install the Arcane Archer component after the SkitiaNPCs install.

I'm a bit surprised by this order. In other NPC mods that use custom kits, the kits have to be installed first (and in general kit mods precede NPC mods in recommended installation orders).

For future reference, is this indeed the correct install order? Thanks!
    Hum no, kits mods should come after quests and NPC mods.
    For example, Deities of Faerun have an option to give its kits to some mod NPC, those have to be installed first so than Deities of Faerun can detect them and apply the kits.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    What made me think that NPCs that use custom kits should be installed after those kits is that Tipps (the IWD EE NPC) requires the custom kit installed first. I had assumed that the NPC mod had to "detect" that the kit was installed in order for the NPC to be given that kit.

That is also correct but that is specific to Tipps alone and an exception to the rule (the geomantic sorcerer also uses a bunch of divine_to_arcane conversions during install, so in that case, delaying Tipps is the best option).
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 210
    None of them really mention anything of their personal stories that happened in SoD unless you say you knew them in SoD. Emily might have a very necessary mention of Caelar.

Otherwise, you shouldn't see anything you don't want.

Thanks for your help. Time to play with your npcs mod :)
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I had great fun with Emily, Vienxay and Helga in BG!/SoD and want to continue with them in SoA/ToB but I have a prblem.
    I have exited Irenicuses dungeon and am in Waukeen's Promenade. I've found Vienxay nex to the adventurers mart, and have recued her by paying the fine - but she won't talk top my PC, so there is no way to get her into my party. She just stands there approving me.
    Try C:SetGlobal("X3VieMet","GLOBAL",1), then talk to her. (Also, can you do C:GetGlobal("X3VieMet","GLOBAL") so I can know what its value is?)
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited July 2022
    After resetting the Global to 1 she has joined the perty with no problem.
    C:GetGlobal("X3VieMet","GLOBAL" got the following reply
    X3VieMet Global does not exist

btw both Emily and Helga have joined with no problems
    Post edited by kiwidoc on
    Thanks, I put it too late in the script and I guess that may make it not fire sometimes. I'll post the fix for everyone else soon.
    edited July 2022
    Skitia, after reading the whole topic I noticed you seem pretty critical towards Vienxay quest. Did you have time to remake it?
    Post edited by Ulkesh on
    There are two parts to the Vienxay mod I don't like:
    -Difficulty to figure out how the quest resumes in the underdark part.
    -Lost note parts with the arctic wolves.

The new design is a bit longer and has four different outcomes, one which will convert her from the shadowmage (mage/thief) to a shadowdancer.

It's close to being finished, but it won't be released until the rest of the big update is done, which includes Nalia for ToB and my last NPC addition. I'm trying to limit updates for now to major bug fixes.

• AdventurousDayAdventurousDay Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2022

The new design is a bit longer and has four different outcomes, one which will convert her from the shadowmage (mage/thief) to a shadowdancer.

It's close to being finished, but it won't be released until the rest of the big update is done, which includes Nalia for ToB and my last NPC addition. I'm trying to limit updates for now to major bug fixes.

The class switch option is pretty neat. Also I noticed Vienxay having the set traps ability even though her class can’t put points into set traps. And a potential spoiler question below:
    Will this option to switch to a shadowdancer mean a switch in alignment? It’ll affect which character/party she’ll be a part of.
    Post edited by AdventurousDay on
  • rossbach451rossbach451 Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2022
    Just made it to Suldanessalar, and 2 Vienxay dialogues from the Underdark sparked. One was complaining about being in drow skin and in a city full of them, then the dialogue that was meant for when the party escapes and runs into Elhan's group. No big deal, just kinda weird. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this, or is it my chaotic mod usage? EDIT: just killed Irenicus, went to hell, and Vienxay spoke Emily's line about dying.
    Post edited by rossbach451 on

I will wait for the new release for a new playthrough focused only on your content. Thanks for the extensive reply.
    Just made it to Suldanessalar, and 2 Vienxay dialogues from the Underdark sparked. One was complaining about being in drow skin and in a city full of them, then the dialogue that was meant for when the party escapes and runs into Elhan's group. No big deal, just kinda weird. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this, or is it my chaotic mod usage? EDIT: just killed Irenicus, went to hell, and Vienxay spoke Emily's line about dying.

I'll look into the last one, I'm guessing the other two were being triggered because they didn't fire when they were supposed to.
    edited August 2022
    Ulkesh wrote: »

I will wait for the new release for a new playthrough focused only on your content. Thanks for the extensive reply.

No problem!

In 2-3 weeks, I will probably have a better idea when the new update will land and can give a guestimate on the release of it.

In the meantime, I've created a poll on my patreon, if you have time, feel free to vote on your favorite character. I plan to give the winner a little bit of extra content before release. (You may need an account, but you don't need to be a patron to vote!)

https://www.patreon.com/posts/favorite-skitia-70212223

I'll look into the last one, I'm guessing the other two were being triggered because they didn't fire when they were supposed to.

I checked and the last one seems very much correctly assigned to Emily in nearinfinity. I'll still look at forcing the underdark ones not to fire if not in the underdark though.
    I'm going to do a strawhat poll instead of the original patreon one so accounts don't need to be made. This should be more convenient!

https://strawpoll.com/polls/kogjvQPdvg6
  • _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2022
    I still didn't have a chance to play with your characters in BG2 because real life issues, my own (failed) modding attempts, my constant "waiting for another update in X mod" (scs, for example) and my constant indecisions regarding what to play, class, other npcs mods, quests, etc.

That said, I voted for Emily for her content in BG1/SoD. This is always subjective but I felt like she was a well integrated companion with interesting dialogues and a engaging story without falling into being bombastic or quirky.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2022
    Hey Skitia, really enjoying the mod! It's some great stuff. I seem to have run into an issue with Emily's quest in SoA however. I can't find Lady Hornkeeper after she told me to come back after I've gained some reputation. Even using C:CreateCreature("X3ECH") to spawn her in just results in her disappearing again immediately. Just wondering if there was any way to bypass this?

Edit: Actually after a good few attempts I managed to get it working by clicking on her super quick with Emily before she disappeared again, and that got her talking. Didn't get any follow up from Emily however, and the journal simply notes that she's given her support. I've gotten the support from the other guy in the government district as well. Was something else supposed to trigger? Thanks
  • OlorinielOloriniel Member Posts: 49
    I had an issue with Recorder, couldn't give Sir Mark's sword to his kin.

Arnold uses his default dialogue, Cindy's dialogue assumes these conditions:
    !IsValidForPartyDialogue("X3Rec")
    GlobalLT("X3RecSecQuest","GLOBAL",5)

To progress the quest, her triggers are:
    IsValidForPartyDialogue("X3Rec")
    Global("X3ReBaldurQuest","GLOBAL",2)

So I'm guessing that "X3Rec" needs to be in the party for the latter, and if she is not in the party, we'll get the former.

Unfortunately, I've got Recorder in the party, Recorder's the one trying to launch the conversation, but I'm still getting a response of "I Don't know you, and I didn't invite you into my home. Show yourself the door, please."

Now, if I advance X#RecSecQuest to 5, I get:
    "Please, leave me alone."
    Global("X3RecSecQuest","GLOBAL",5)

I'm guessing what messed things up was my entry into this house prior to recruiting Recorder. I don't recall if I talked to anyone, I don't think I did. I don't think the avatars in the house even had names at that point (just, "Commoner."
    edited August 2022
    I’ll take a look at this when I get back home on Sunday. I’m guessing though that something is making Recorder invalid for the conversation, so it fires the invalid code block. I don’t think she needs to initiate the conversation, your character can do that.

I’ll also check on the Lady Hornkeeper bug, what chapter is your game on?
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 4
    I’ll take a look at this when I get back home on Sunday. I’m guessing though that something is making Recorder invalid for the conversation, so it fires the invalid code block. I don’t think she needs to initiate the conversation, your character can do that.

I talked to her first in Chapter 2, where she told me to come back when my reputation was higher. I returned to where she was in Chapter 3 with around 18 reputation.

Thanks. I haven't played your characters through SoD yet, let along BG2, but I wanted to say I'm enjoying them a lot. Especially Vienxay and Emily. I didn't expect to like Kale, but he won me over too. Great additions to the game.
    Couple startup weirdnesses in SoD:

I can't recruit Vienxay. After I talk to her then to the guard to have her released, the game hangs in the cutscene.

Also, the woman who wants me to give a letter to recorder? Her name shows up as Recorder's biography.
    edited August 2022
    For Vienxay, ignore the guard, and instead, in the console set: C:SetGlobal("X32Fritz","GLOBAL",2)C:SetGlobal("X32VienMet","GLOBAL",1). Then after talking with her so she joins, select her, then use ctrl+j to hop her out.

I updated it and add a cutscene end in case the dialogue can't trigger for some reason. But a variable change is easier to do than grabbing the new update.

The string issue with Recorder is caused by a reinstall order change. So someone else now occupies the slot that thier name used to take, and it is assigning Recorder's Biography to it. I would try to ignore it.

(If Recorder has a bad name string, there is a conversation with PID that should fix it)
    bellboy wrote: »

I talked to her first in Chapter 2, where she told me to come back when my reputation was higher. I returned to where she was in Chapter 3 with around 18 reputation.

Are you on EET or normal BG2:EE?
    For Vienxay, ignore the guard, and instead, in the console set: C:SetGlobal("X32Fritz","GLOBAL",2)C:SetGlobal("X32VienMet","GLOBAL",1). Then after talking with her so she joins, select her, then use ctrl+j to hop her out.

I updated it and add a cutscene end in case the dialogue can't trigger for some reason. But a variable change is easier to do than grabbing the new update.

The string issue with Recorder is caused by a reinstall order change. So someone else now occupies the slot that thier name used to take, and it is assigning Recorder's Biography to it. I would try to ignore it.

(If Recorder has a bad name string, there is a conversation with PID that should fix it)

Thanks.

Vienxay is at the Coast Way Camp, so not being able to pick her up in Baldur's Gate wound up not being an issue. And I was fully prepared to ignore the naming issue, just wasn't sure what caused it or if it was indicative of other problems. I don't remember doing any reinstalls, but perhaps.

Recorder's name is amiss; it's "1.47" I'll try her PIDs and see if that helps.

I've got Kale in party, picked up Helga at the dwarf mine, and just killed the planar hunters and Emily turned up. Soooo many NPC's to juggle...do any have quests/important content at particular points in SoD? Would hate to miss anything beause I left someone at camp....
    edited August 2022
    Helga's quest is the mine quest, so is the safest to leave at camp.

Vienxay's quest is in chapter 9, so can be left in camp safely at chapter 10.

Kale/Recorder have chapter 10 quests. They could be left behind in favor of others in chapter 9. Emily has a chapter 10 dialogue event when you meet a particular NPC, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a quest, it's more like Corwin's content. Isaac (Unreleased) has the same task as Emily but it is a quest for him. But they all can be safely left in camp at Chapter 9 or anytime after chapter 10.