Skip to content

Mass Effect Remaster

124»

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I think I prefer the original skin tone. The new picture looks like an anaemic vampire.

TR
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    And I'm so happy I can finally read and watch all that stuff without fear of spoilers, because I finished the trilogy two days ago :)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    That trailer had something puzzling. During it the text says that it includes over 40 dlc then right at the very end it say single player content only at the bottom right. TBH I don't recall there being that many single player only dlc. Odd.

TR

3/4s of that stuff is completely pointless (either cosmetics, Dragon Age tie-ins, or overpowered gear). There are about 10 pieces of actual meaty story DLC interspersed among it all.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited April 2021
    ME2 and ME3 specifically had lots of item packs, and in many cases the multiplayer packs includes new items that were also available in single player.

In fact, I think one of the largest issue with ME3/ME2 DLC is how they make overpowered gear available to you from close of the start.

The remake would profit from just removing them or make them much harder to obtain. As an example I discussed previously, in ME2 you normally start with the Predator Heavy Pistol. It fires 12 shots, but has very low base damage (33). In one of the first missions in the game a new crew mate gives you the Carnifex, which has only 6 shots but significantly higher damage (85). It feels like a substantial upgrade. But if you have the Firepower DLC you get the Phalanx hand gun, which also has 6 shots and does about 110 damage. It also has a laser sight for better targeting. You get it basically at the start of the game for free. It completely devalues the Carnifex, which is (as an upgrade) much better integrated in the game).

Note that you get it rather early in the game, but the Heavy Pistol is the standard weapon that all classes can use - there are other upgrades for other weapons that you get much later into the game.

If they actually wanted to improve ME gameplay they would better integrate those DLC weapons in the late portions of the game, or even take them out by default and put them in Game+ only or something similar.

I love the series a lot, but the item DLC are really an example of the worst that the DLC model has to offer.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ammar wrote: »
    Hmm, I think I prefer the original lightning. The other updates look fine.

I 100% prefer the original lighting. At least if these are our only options.
    I'm really looking forward to the visual improvements in ME1. I initially thought I don't mind the old graphics, but after finishing ME2 and 3 and then trying to start ME1 again with a different class (just to check how it works, didn't plan to play again so soon), the first thing that bothered me was the lack of light and the dampened colours. When you're in it, you don't really mind, but the contrast after having played the newer games was extreme. I wouldn't mind playing the first game with better light and sharper colours.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited May 2021
    Just a few days left, and it'll be released!

They've now provided an option to freely download lots of additional content for Mass Effect here: https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/mass-effect-bonus-content-download (in the past, it was Mass Effect Deluxe Edition Content)
    edited May 2021
    ME2 and ME3 specifically had lots of item packs, and in many cases the multiplayer packs includes new items that were also available in single player.

In fact, I think one of the largest issue with ME3/ME2 DLC is how they make overpowered gear available to you from close of the start.

The remake would profit from just removing them or make them much harder to obtain. As an example I discussed previously, in ME2 you normally start with the Predator Heavy Pistol. It fires 12 shots, but has very low base damage (33). In one of the first missions in the game a new crew mate gives you the Carnifex, which has only 6 shots but significantly higher damage (85). It feels like a substantial upgrade. But if you have the Firepower DLC you get the Phalanx hand gun, which also has 6 shots and does about 110 damage. It also has a laser sight for better targeting. You get it basically at the start of the game for free. It completely devalues the Carnifex, which is (as an upgrade) much better integrated in the game).

Note that you get it rather early in the game, but the Heavy Pistol is the standard weapon that all classes can use - there are other upgrades for other weapons that you get much later into the game.

If they actually wanted to improve ME gameplay they would better integrate those DLC weapons in the late portions of the game, or even take them out by default and put them in Game+ only or something similar.

I love the series a lot, but the item DLC are really an example of the worst that the DLC model has to offer.

According to a comprehensive list of changes on IGN, the DLC weapons and armor have been appropriately distributed throughout the games as drops and by being added to merchant inventories. I'm pretty surprised actually. Pleasantly so.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited May 2021
    Even I played the ME trilogy in any way humanly possible, I think I will give this a try, just because you get the three games with all the story dlc included in one package, so you can play them as it is: one big story in three games.
    Not many games did this, the feel of continuity, that you are playing the same story even though the game is not the same.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I've played around with it a bit, some observations from playing ME1:
    1. It's still very much 3 separate games, with just a launcher covering it up a bit. I wish it was truly one game, where you would select in-game which game to play (a bit akin to selecting which campaign in BG:EE/SoD/BP1)
    2. Looks really sharp at some points and completely playable on the widescreen.
    3. Had some sound issues during last session, but could also be an issue with the headphone plug
    4. I wish ME1 would've had more game improvements. So much to improve on, compared to 2 and 3. Even if it only expanded the game, this would've been better
    5. Have been killed more times by Thresher Maws already than all my previous playthroughs combined
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I dont have it (yet, am planning on getting it soonish). #4 I think it sort of an intentional decision by the developers. They didnt want to fundamentally change the experience of any of the three games.

Since I think all three games are now in the same engine, I kind of expect some crazy mods where maybe you can actually play ME1 with all of ME3's gameplay.

The Mass Effect games already had a pretty impressive modding community, I can only imagine how much more robust the modding may get with the Legendary Edition.
    Frankly, I was shocked to find out the FPS bug if the Origin overlay is active is STILL present in ME1. It's almost as if the Legendary Edition is just a launcher in itself. I don't think it's a huge knock, but it feels like I'm opening the game in Steam, then Origin has to be open, and then the Legendary executable is yet ANOTHER launcher for the newly updated versions. It really irks me that NO other companies besides Steam have come up with a decent, light-weight launcher. Even GOG Galaxy is still riddled with bugs that force me to close and restart it once a day.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    1. It's still very much 3 separate games, with just a launcher covering it up a bit. I wish it was truly one game, where you would select in-game which game to play (a bit akin to selecting which campaign in BG:EE/SoD/BP1)
    3. Had some sound issues during last session, but could also be an issue with the headphone plug
    4. I wish ME1 would've had more game improvements. So much to improve on, compared to 2 and 3. Even if it only expanded the game, this would've been better
    5. Have been killed more times by Thresher Maws already than all my previous playthroughs combined

5. You mean Ankhegs.
    deltago wrote: »

5. You mean Ankhegs.

The only way I've ever found to deal with them in ME1 is to save the game beforehand and just engage in some sort of bastardized strafing tactics with the Mako and hope they don't reemerge from the ground under you.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Watching Mordin sing Gilbert and Sullivan for the umpteenth time. As Tali would say. "Still totally worth it"
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I am happy it's still three games, you couldn't harmonize the mechanics without completely changing 2 out of 3 games.

However, it is a bit shocking at how many of the original issues are still present - getting stuck in the air in ME2, the game often crashing on transitions in the final battle of ME1 if you use the wrong biotic abilities, etc.

I do feel they went overboard with the extra ammo in ME2. It's so much of a non-issue now that they could just as well remove the entire mechanic.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I am happy it's still three games, you couldn't harmonize the mechanics without completely changing 2 out of 3 games.

However, it is a bit shocking at how many of the original issues are still present - getting stuck in the air in ME2, the game often crashing on transitions in the final battle of ME1 if you use the wrong biotic abilities, etc.

I do feel they went overboard with the extra ammo in ME2. It's so much of a non-issue now that they could just as well remove the entire mechanic.

Mass Effect 3 forced me to edit a save to fix a quest, a bug that exists since original launch, and restart a fight because one of the enemies spawned in an unreachable spot and the fight would never end... Still enjoyed it all ::
    edited October 2021
    I've only done Eden Prime so far to try it out on my new laptop (still busy with Dragon Age), but having played the old trilogy at the beginning of this year only, I have to say the differences are already great. I also have a much, much better laptop now, but the lighting and texture alone are already reasons enough for me to prefer Legendary. No more squinting and searching for an imaginary light switch.
    Can't wait to see the Citadel, and my favourite Turian!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    So over December i played the legendary edition.

most of the attention was put into mass effect 1 it plays much better then it used to. now before i started i thought the lighting killed the atmosphere. but as was the case with Nier Replicant which i am currently playing there is a difference from seeing screens shots then playing the game your self.

just saying i stopped caring after Eden Prime. the fact they gave saren a new model helped an issue he had in the original where he
    had his post Virmire implant model for the whole game.

with mass effect 2 ad 3 there isnt that much changed. overall i recommend this over the originals at this point.