Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition is almost here!

Comments

• ZephyllainZephyllain Member Posts: 5
    Hello @semiticgoddess ,i have very fond memories of IWD2 and i'd like to try the beta :)
  • RedDeadDragonRedDeadDragon Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    IWD2:EE will be released as a free-to-download WeiDU mod pending a closed beta period. Anyone who is interested in becoming a beta tester may contact @semiticgod or another member of the team to gain access to the mod.
    Clicking on any of the user profiles in the top post give "no such user exist" page. Strange.

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @RedDeadDragon
    IWD2:EE will be released as a free-to-download WeiDU mod pending a closed beta period. Anyone who is interested in becoming a beta tester may contact @semiticgod or another member of the team to gain access to the mod.
    Clicking on any of the user profiles in the top post give "no such user exist" page. Strange.

There were three links to profiles in the opening post, but they had accidentally been misspelled (with a closing parenthesis at the end). Here are links to the actual profiles; you should be able to access them now.
    @semiticgoddess
    @ashafetov
    @Igor_Levchenko
  • weipin_howeipin_ho Member Posts: 4
    JUst out of curiosity, is this mod going to be completed anytime soon?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    weipin_ho wrote: »

this is a very large project. it is not just making it so iwd 2 runs better on modern system and to be more in line with the other ees.

it's also streamlining alot of it's dungeons and bad design choices.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2021
    Oh my, IWD2 was my very first IE game, also my very first d&d game. It taught me everything about d&d and crpgs, and basically got me into this awesome hobby which had entertained me for nearly 20 years!!! Wow. My adeloscence, my youth, how fast time flies.

Without iwd2 I think I would never play bg2 which had entirely enchanted me and never let go.

I don't play iwd2 nowadays, preferring my mega-modded bg2, but iwd2 is my first love and will always have a special place in my heart-even with all those bugs, and warts (ice palace, fellwood, dragons eye, time loop, aagh!) and all...

I would like to have a chance to test out an ee of this gem.
  • weipin_howeipin_ho Member Posts: 4
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    @weipin_ho
    weipin_ho wrote: »

It is likely going to be several more months until the mod is out.

Do I sound rude if I say tbat its taking too long? Can't wait for it.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Fantastic, though perhaps the move speed shouldn't scale? Seems a little ridiculous to cross the whole map in an instant
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @SirBatince
    SirBatince wrote: »
    Fantastic, though perhaps the move speed shouldn't scale? Seems a little ridiculous to cross the whole map in an instant

It does make sense for enlarging a creature to increase their movement speed (ignoring the real-world problems with enlarging a creature at all). They cover more distance with each stride.

However, an enlarged character won't normally move as fast as the character in that GIF. That character was also wearing Boots of Speed.
    Oh, great then

keep it up!
  • Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 124
    Hey, I just found out about this project from someone and thought I'd post something in support. I don't have time myself right now for beta testing (I'm assuming you want people that can actually contribute and not just play the game) but it looks like it's coming along really nicely so keep it up. I was planning an HoF run soon anyways so I'll probably just wait for the official release of this.
  • ramirami Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2021
    Ha! Yesterday i wanted to post a new thread with a title like "A rose for the dead" meaning by it for icewind dale 2 wich cant have an EE Version cause the source code lost etc... randomly i found this thread :smiley:

And woooow this are the best news since long time for me, forget BG3 here is coming IWD2 EE :)
    And after thinking about it, now i mean it nearly could not come better that the awesome Red Chimera Group is doing this job, a group of modders from the community! And not Beamdog. Dont get me wrong, i love the work from Beamdog, but i think in the end its better that there was one game that was enhanced by community, with ideas etc from community. So maybe later Beamdog can learn from it a bit for other EEs and in IWD2 EE will arise a new symbiosis from Beamdogs EE and Chimera Group EE maybe it will influences Beamdogs EE a bit i hope so :)
    Olywin i know from his cool mod BG1 High Power, (wich i still want continue to play with the upcoming 2.6 patch) but Olywin- really a good man! And also Bubb, awesome what u did already, nice to see such talented guys here!! I had to read the whole thread, cause iam so interested in this project.
    And awesome! This project have tons of new Spells,feats, quality of life-features, like quickloot, suitable skills for monsters- how cool is that? A bit like SCS for for IWD2:) , new theme soundtrack(in menu? idrk), smoother gameplay&mousemove by 200fps fix, maybe AI upscaled maps(i saw the quality defference,nice!).. and many other features, likelikelike :)

I just want to say thank you to the whole Red Chimera Group for your work on IWD2 EE - you rock! i was so sad that theres no EE for IWD2 and now this, YESSS!
    Edit: Oh i forgot to mention semiticgoddi, you too, dunno whats your job in the project :D
    But you all are my new gods here <3<3<3

Post edited by rami on
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I can't wait for this and want to see if it is possible to play it like BG, starting with one character and then adding npcs as you go
    edited March 2021
    HMF wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you very much for this beautiful project.
    - Pickpocketing was very flawed in vanilla, especially in HoF. I hope in this mod you don't forget to fix it ;-).
    - Is it possible to run IWD2 in BG2 or IWD1 engine? IWD2 engine is really very bad.
    - IWD2 need BG2 or IWD1 Interface. IWD2 Interface is not good.
    - Most of items in IWD2 need new skins. They have to be different from each other especially the unique ones.

I dont think the interface from IWD2 i just bad, in IWD2 Interface you can customize all buttons for spells and skills or items etc -how you want by right clicking on it, i really miss that possibility in other EEs cause in other EEs interface you can only customize less of the buttons then in IWD2.
    Post edited by rami on
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    This is an excellent change, thanks. I hate the pressure to min max with point buy.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    What if you adjust alpha towards the edges, then you get closer to the original behaviour.

I like the new way though. It gives the impression that my character is not nearsighted (or is it farsighted)
    You have me checking the thread nearly everyday or so for news now. Damn you!
  • kalekale Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2021
    Bubb wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with changing how the fog of war renders in IWD2EE. The vanilla implementation is this interlaced black-pixel approach, which causes quite a bit of flickering when scrolling the viewport. Here's a version I've made that uses transparency instead:

The geometric shapes are what the fog of war normally conforms to, it's just that the original BAMs do a decent job of hiding the line. This will be a toggleable render mode - I understand some people may not like the more simplistic look.

I've never been able to make widescreen work on my laptop without the fog of war going crazy (flickering, which tends to be very annoying; I remember there was one workaround for this issue which made the screen go blurry in return, and this was even worse). I'm very much looking forward to this feature - maybe it means I can use widescreen again?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    kale wrote: »
    Bubb wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with changing how the fog of war renders in IWD2EE. The vanilla implementation is this interlaced black-pixel approach, which causes quite a bit of flickering when scrolling the viewport. Here's a version I've made that uses transparency instead:

The geometric shapes are what the fog of war normally conforms to, it's just that the original BAMs do a decent job of hiding the line. This will be a toggleable render mode - I understand some people may not like the more simplistic look.

I've never been able to make widescreen work on my laptop without the fog of war going crazy (flickering, which tends to be very annoying; I remember there was one workaround for this issue which made the screen go blurry in return, and this was even worse). I'm very much looking forward to this feature - maybe it means I can use widescreen again?

I player alot of the vanilla version of the game this weekend, on both wide-screen and 800x600, and without some kind of scaling, the wide-screen mod is just not worth the graphical fidelity. Your characters are the size of ants on a large canvas. Unfortunately, the only reasonable way to play IWD2 from a graphical standpoint is in it's original resolution.
    Do the Beamdogs EEs (BG/IWD1) have smooth 200hz fix or something too? :)
  • ratamoratamo Member Posts: 16
    Oh my. I started IWDII just last weekend and now after 19 hours I stumble to this. Oh well, I'll try this with my next playthrough in a year or so I guess. :)
  • TheTjumsTheTjums Member Posts: 8
    SirBatince wrote: »
    You have me checking the thread nearly everyday or so for news now. Damn you!

Count me in on the crowd that checks in daily for updates. So hungry for news on this thing, top 5 of most anticipated games of 2021 for sure.
This discussion has been closed.