Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition is almost here!

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    unisock wrote: »
    I just started my playthrough today - only did the opening docks level so far.
    I have noticed my thief isn't able to pickpocket at all - did I miss the update that fixed that or is that still an ongoing issue? The icon changes but I'm not able to click on anybody.

Thanks!

It sounds like you aren't playing the latest update.
  • WhiteheartWhiteheart Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. I noticed a huge increase in the number of posts here and I've noticed a lot of people suddenly talking about playing. Does that mean you've released this amazing mod?? If you have, where can I download it!?! If not, please, please don't take this post as an attempt to rush you. I have a limited understanding of coding and completely understand the sheer amount of work you guys are putting into this project. I'm more than happy to wait until you're ready to release it and I'm not about to try to rush you. I am really excited for it and thank you so much for all the work you've already put into it!
  • ShankstaBytesShankstaBytes Member Posts: 18
    Yeah people been talking about this. Is it out?
  • unisockunisock Member Posts: 2
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    unisock wrote: »
    I just started my playthrough today - only did the opening docks level so far.
    I have noticed my thief isn't able to pickpocket at all - did I miss the update that fixed that or is that still an ongoing issue? The icon changes but I'm not able to click on anybody.

Thanks!

It sounds like you aren't playing the latest update.

Everything's working now. Turns out it helps to actually give your rogue points in pick pocket :|

Chalk that one up to user error. Sorry about that. When I'm done feeling dumb I'll be putting some hours in.
  • MarkusBRMarkusBR Member Posts: 8
    Can someone please tell if this amazing patch i.e. the game is out? :- )
  • KreatoRKreatoR Member Posts: 36
    MarkusBR wrote: »

Not quite but you could join the beta testing. The game is 100% playable from start to finish.
  • Rn_JesusRn_Jesus Member Posts: 1
    KreatoR wrote: »

Not quite but you could join the beta testing. The game is 100% playable from start to finish.

I DM'd @semiticgoddess to try and join and have not get a reply. Might be that my account is rather new on here despite my enjoyment of Infinity Engine gaming. I hope to get a chance to check out the beta. I was thinking of even recording some of my dungeons using OBS once I get a run going.
  • KreatoRKreatoR Member Posts: 36
    Rn_Jesus wrote: »

I DM'd @semiticgoddess to try and join and have not get a reply. Might be that my account is rather new on here despite my enjoyment of Infinity Engine gaming. I hope to get a chance to check out the beta. I was thinking of even recording some of my dungeons using OBS once I get a run going.

@OlvynChuru is the person you want to DM as I think semiticgodess is no longer a part of this.
  • StamatimenosStamatimenos Member Posts: 1
    Want! <3
  • MarkusBRMarkusBR Member Posts: 8

Thank you! I'm PM'ing Olvyn now! :- D
  • HeLLionHeLLion Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2022
    Hello, @OlvynChuru

I'm interested in the EE version for icewind dale 2 and would like to play it and help with testing :), since I've played parts 1 and 2 since I was a child..... think it's great that there's finally an EE version of Icewind dale 2 and a super awesome project ^^
  • ClintronClintron Member Posts: 2
    Is the Enhanced Edition fully playable from start to finish with the wide-screen mod enabled? I know the original Icewind Dale 2 wouldn't let you progress to certain areas, if the resolution was higher than 800x600 or so I was told.
  • RahonaOstrimoRahonaOstrimo Member Posts: 40
    I was able to play with the game through without issue in wide screen, with un enhanced version from GOG. So i dont thnk there were generic issues on the original version with any areas.. There have not been description of it in the new enhanced mod either from what I have read.
  • seloconselocon Member Posts: 11
    So 2 questions

1. Can I be a playtester @semiticgoddess
    2. When you say "fully customizable" is it possible to maintain un-enhanced questlines (basically, in that regard, "vanilla") while having all the rest of the IWD2:EE features like extra classes, better shop selection, etc?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    selocon wrote: »
    So 2 questions

1. Can I be a playtester

If you would like to participate in the beta:

Make a GitHub account, and send me or @semiticgoddess a PM with the name of your GitHub account. We'll invite you to the beta; you'll need to check your email to accept the invitation. Then, you should be able to access the GitHub repository for IWD2EE.
    selocon wrote: »
    2. When you say "fully customizable" is it possible to maintain un-enhanced questlines (basically, in that regard, "vanilla") while having all the rest of the IWD2:EE features like extra classes, better shop selection, etc?

Yes.
  • DudzioDudzio Member Posts: 81
    Does this enhanced edition implement widescreen resolutions? :smile:
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 999
    edited February 2022
    I recently fixed the slow loading times in IWD2. Here's a before and after using a late-game save:

Before (~29 seconds):

After (< 1 second):
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Bubb wrote: »
    I recently fixed the slow loading times in IWD2. Here's a before and after using a late-game save:

Fantastic!
  • gigi1934gigi1934 Member Posts: 1
    It’s available for a OS platform?? Download the game on a MacBook, or it’s just for windows?, also how can I be part of the play tester?
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited February 2022
    Bubb wrote: »
    I recently fixed the slow loading times in IWD2.

Very cool.
    If I remember correctly, this is also something Beamdog did for their EEs, compared to the original BG/BG2/IWD.

Would you mind briefly explaining the technical issues that caused loading to be slow?

I have pretty good coding knowledge, but I cannot for the life of me understand how loading one 2D map with, at most, a few dozen creatures and items, can take as long as it does in some video games. (Pillars of Eternity comes to mind as one of the worst offenders, and that's after Obsidian devs claimed that they optimized it as much as was feasible within the constraints of the Unity Engine.)
    edited February 2022
    ineth wrote: »
    Would you mind briefly explaining the technical issues that caused loading to be slow?

The two main issues were:

1) Script loading is horribly inefficient. They are glorified text files that require a lot of string manipulation to parse, and in creature-heavy areas script processing alone took ~65% of the loading time. The problem with the engine is that it would load/parse the same script over and over again each time it was encountered. So in an area with many enemies, (most having the same scripts assigned), the engine would needlessly repeat the same work. I modified the engine to cache scripts by resref and simply copy an already-parsed copy to prevent this. Beamdog did something similar.

2) The classic engines rely on 6 or so threads for different tasks, (rendering, pathfinding, resource management, networking, sounds, and ai). IWD2 is quite generous throwing around SleepEx calls when waiting for a resource to be unlocked, which compounds when trying to do many small tasks. I removed the worst offenders and just let the game spin. In other situations the game slept to wait for the loading bar to update, which is useless (it is rendering on another thread) and just kills time. Beamdog removed most multithreading from the EEs.
    Post edited by Bubb on
  • RoiCRoiC Member Posts: 7
    How close is the mod to completetion? Last time I played IWD 2 I had some faulty mods installed and it messed my whole game like 75% in, I want to go for another run but I want to know it won't die on me.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Unless I'm much mistaken this mod alone is the reason quite a bunch of people are still sticking around here. I await any news eagerly!
  • EdgewalkerEdgewalker Member Posts: 7
    That is correct. I'm checking the thread to read about new developments on IWD2EE every few days. I wish it was possible to subscribe to it somehow.
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member Posts: 2
    I to am looking for more information on this, is it only windows or is it available for Mac OS? How long until completion? I really want to play this game again some time.
  • Acrux2Acrux2 Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2022
    Edgewalker wrote: »
    That is correct. I'm checking the thread to read about new developments on IWD2EE every few days. I wish it was possible to subscribe to it somehow.

It is. Bookmark it (at the top of the page). I receive a mail and in-page alert every time someone posts.

Or you can just set alerts to email you for messages you've posted in.
    I've been working on the GUI for the past while.

Worldscreen spell information popup:

Built-in widescreen mod replacement. This is integrated into the engine and many fixes have been made to account for playing at non-default resolutions:

And as a bonus, I also fixed a longstanding mouse-flicker bug.
  • ValfreyjaValfreyja Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2022
    Is there Spontaneous Casting (to Cure/Inflict) in this game or is it added by this mod?

If so how does one do it?
    Post edited by Valfreyja on
  • reven1010reven1010 Member Posts: 1
    Hey is it still possible to be tester? I would love to play it
  • Acrux2Acrux2 Member Posts: 44
    Valfreyja wrote: »
    Is there Spontaneous Casting (to Cure/Inflict) in this game or is it added by this mod?

If so how does one do it?

Spontaneous casting is in the base game (except for druids, although there is a small mod that adds summons). To use SC, just shift click the spell you want to use and it becomes the Cure/Inflict spell for that level.
This discussion has been closed.