Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition is almost here!

Comments

• KlopjeroKlopjero Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I just read about this mod. and I'm wondering if i could help out?
  • RahonaOstrimoRahonaOstrimo Member Posts: 40
    Hi, thanks so much for the development on this mod. I have granted access to the beta last week, downloaded the original again from GoG and installed the mod, it works out of the box! :) Almost to easy for a beta product :)

I have starting to configure my party. And have a reflection on the armor. The adjustment to HoF on reducing attack roll is great improvement, making more build viable. There are other adjustment in the "Defensive stance" (+4 AC), "Shield mastery" (+4 AC) that also makes more diver build viable as well. So thanks for making it more intriguing than the few version. Concerning the "Light Armor Mastery" however, the item with most armor of light type is providing 6 armor however, the same as the spell spirit armor. So the feat has very little effect in the game. The armors that give +6 AC is Black Dragon Scale, Mourner's Armor, Silent Interloper, Zuvembie's Impunity and Nasty Bits. And all of them are bested by the spell Shield.

Is there something I have over look? Then please give me a heads up. If the feat was applicable for chain mail or plate armor it would be a different aspect for sure, but likely also overpowered with the arcane armor feat. But it would create a mage armor play style that left very few feats for magic damage enhancement.

Kind regards
    Rahona
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited March 2022
    @RahonaOstrimo Do you not have the mod installed yet? IWD2EE improves a lot of items in the game, including armor.
    The armors that give +6 AC is Black Dragon Scale, Mourner's Armor, Silent Interloper, Zuvembie's Impunity and Nasty Bits. And all of them are bested by the spell Shield.

Several of the armors you listed give more than +6 AC. Silent Interloper in particular could give over +16 AC if your Move Silently skill is high enough. None of them are bested by the spell Shield, which only gives +4 AC. You're also comparing apples and oranges, because the kind of character who would cast Shield (a wizard or sorcerer) is not the same kind of character who would wear light armor (likely a rogue).

Light Armor Mastery is meant for characters with really high Dexterity, like high level rogues. It's not meant for wizards who cast Shield.
    Concerning the "Light Armor Mastery" however, the item with most armor of light type is providing 6 armor however, the same as the spell spirit armor.

Spirit Armor only lasts a limited duration, while the effects of actual armor last as long as you have the armor on.

Thanks @OlvynChuru

It is of cause to relevant to start with my motivation, which I might not have made clear. I am curious on should the enhancement make a more diverse play style viable? So, the use of medium or heavy armor playstyles become meaning full. That is what I hope to address.

The total AC for armor is coming from the base armor + dexterity as I understand it. The dexterity contribution is the same with the new feat for wearing both light armor or a spell armor. I am not aware of how Move Silently is affecting AC, in Neverwinter nights thumble was also giving AC. Is there a similar mechanism in Icewind dale 2? NvN link - https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Tumble

Spell Shield (+7AC) is caster only, but spirit armor (+6AC) is in my experience available in plenty for a team with two arcane casters. So from my reflection, the early game spells are stronger all the way through the game until the end of HOF where the different +6 light amors are making them as good as the spell armors. Chain of Drakan is also superior.
    The best plate is Mithral Field Plate Armor +2 giving a maximum of 10 + 2 AC. So in any event the idea of a Knight in shining armor is still bested by mage armor, light armor or the monk wisdom bonus to AC.
    Your right that buffing up is time extensive for sure, and as the game progress it becomes more and more intensive simply to apply all the buffs. So I look forward to the meta magic that makes spells area of effect.

Getting back on the part of making medium and heavy armor an appealing playstlye again. If we expand the feat for light armor to apply for medium of heavy it would make those items classes relevant again.
    @RahonaOstrimo
    Thanks @OlvynChuru

It is of cause to relevant to start with my motivation, which I might not have made clear. I am curious on should the enhancement make a more diverse play style viable? So, the use of medium or heavy armor playstyles become meaning full. That is what I hope to address.

The total AC for armor is coming from the base armor + dexterity as I understand it. The dexterity contribution is the same with the new feat for wearing both light armor or a spell armor. I am not aware of how Move Silently is affecting AC, in Neverwinter nights thumble was also giving AC. Is there a similar mechanism in Icewind dale 2? NvN link - https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Tumble

Spell Shield (+7AC) is caster only, but spirit armor (+6AC) is in my experience available in plenty for a team with two arcane casters. So from my reflection, the early game spells are stronger all the way through the game until the end of HOF where the different +6 light amors are making them as good as the spell armors. Chain of Drakan is also superior.
    The best plate is Mithral Field Plate Armor +2 giving a maximum of 10 + 2 AC. So in any event the idea of a Knight in shining armor is still bested by mage armor, light armor or the monk wisdom bonus to AC.
    Your right that buffing up is time extensive for sure, and as the game progress it becomes more and more intensive simply to apply all the buffs. So I look forward to the meta magic that makes spells area of effect.

Getting back on the part of making medium and heavy armor an appealing playstlye again. If we expand the feat for light armor to apply for medium of heavy it would make those items classes relevant again.

IWD2EE does improve medium and heavy armor. If you have the mod, please play it. Any balance concerns you have should be based on the content of the mod, not the content of the base game.
    edited March 2022
    Thanks alot @OlvynChuru :) I understand there are more changes to items than I expected :)

I have traditionally prepared an excel sheet modelling XP development for my team :) with items etc in advance. But will instead try to jump into this without the same preparation to experience it a new.

Is there a list on the items in the game or on the revision? I am still curious on it even though i start the game now :)

Thanks for the extensive amount of work that have but into making this adventure alive again.

Kind regards
    Rahona

vjz9vco271ia.png

Post edited by RahonaOstrimo on
    edited March 2022
    @RahonaOstrimo
    Is there a list on the items in the game or on the revision? I am still curious on it even though i start the game now :)

If you have IWD2EE installed, you can look through the new items in DaleKeeper II or NearInfinity.

If you've downloaded IWD2EE, you can find all the new item descriptions in the file iwd2ee/tra/English/item_revisions.tra. You should be able to open it in Notepad or another text editor.

However, if you want to get a clearer view of game balance in IWD2EE, I recommend you start a new game of IWD2EE with a party of six, and play on Normal difficulty.
    Super cool, I have started now an will spend the next many months playing it over again, when I get the time :) thanks for the feedback and the many updates you and the team have shown of the work.

All the best
    -Rahona
  • RussianOrcRussianOrc Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your hard work. I'v ediscovered this project and the forum just a few months ago and have been following it closely.

Q: Where can the fans expect to see the updates including the final release of the mod?
  • KnaziKnazi Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

Can anyone share the link to download and test this super game? :smile:
  • pedan25pedan25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a long time fan of IWD and would like to participate in the IWD2:EE beta, if that is ok.

Thank you for all you and your team's work on this!
  • vortex577vortex577 Member Posts: 3
    Did anybody notice any issues with the sand monks in the Eight Chambers trials. In my case sand monks (chamber 6) are not affected by the fire beams at all, and neither is my character (half orc fighter/barbarian).
  • KealanahKealanah Member Posts: 1
    Are people still able to get into the testing for this mod???
  • leaderleader Member Posts: 11
    c'e' qlquno che mi direbbe come scaricare questa mod x iwd2ee???? grazie
  • celoebceloeb Member Posts: 1
    Please, how do I configure the wide screen replacement?
  • lajyolajyo Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm wondering if I could get in on the beta? This is Moradin's work you're doing here. My github is https://github.com/makingsomestuff
  • orchidMantisorchidMantis Member Posts: 17
    Hi my github account: https://github.com/OrchidMantis77

I would love to collaborate as a beta-tester.

Thanks !
    this youtuber is playing EE version. nice =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wzTVpsn9E0
  • QuillsPennQuillsPenn Member Posts: 3
    Can I join the Beta Testing?
  • weindarweindar Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am a long time fan of the infinity engine games. I was excited to discover this project was active. I would love to join the beta.

Thank you and keep up the fantastic work!
  • gt27mustanggt27mustang Member Posts: 17
    Hi! I'm so glad you guy decided to ''enhance'' one of my favorite IE games out there! I would be very glad to join this beta. Can I?

• ClintronClintron Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to everyone who made this possible. I am currently playing a 5 player coop game of this enhanced edition, getting this installed on 4 other friends machines with the same settings took some effort and work.

We have already encountered some issues, but I was able to find a work around. The issue was we could lockpick doors and it would show up successfully lockpicked but would not open. My solution was to load the game in single player and lockpick the doors and save after I have already lockpicked the doors. This has probably already been discussed in here.

Thanks again everyone. 5 beta testers in coop is better than one. I appreciate all the hard work that has went into this.
  • LePiooLePioo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, thanks for all the work, I would love to join the beta, my github ; https://github.com/kevincastejon
    Hi, I'm playing this EE version a bit, recently I found the button for quick loot, and thanks for that, I wonder if there is also a way to zoom with the mouse wheel? Can this functionality be added?
    Bubb wrote: »
    IEex only works with version 2.0.1.0, (as can be checked if you go to iwd2.exe->Properties->Details->File version).

I would recommend using the GOG version of IWD2 if you have it, as it is the latest version, removes the CD-check, and installs a ddraw fix automatically.

If you have a physical copy that's a lower version, gibberlings3 hosts the official patch here.

I have the GOG version but it is setup_icewind_dale2_2.1.0.13, does this mean I can not use the mod?
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    QuillsPenn wrote: »
    I have the GOG version but it is setup_icewind_dale2_2.1.0.13, does this mean I can not use the mod?

I have no idea why GOG changed the standalone installer's version number, but it still installs v2.0.1.0 so everything should work fine.
    edited April 2022
    Bubb wrote: »
    QuillsPenn wrote: »

I have no idea why GOG changed the standalone installer's version number, but it still installs v2.0.1.0 so everything should work fine.

Great thank you.
    Post edited by QuillsPenn on
  • MarkoMarko Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Thanks a lot for the awesome work!
    Could you please add me to the beta?
    https://github.com/MarkKazakov
  • JJChrizzlesJJChrizzles Member Posts: 1
    Anyone mind if I also join the beta?
  • KingBullGodKingBullGod Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2022
    Are they still accepting playtesters? I'd love to join as well.

Can you help @OlvynChuru ?
This discussion has been closed.