Skip to content

[HotU][Feedback][Spoiler] A plot is confusing

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
edited October 2020 in General Discussions NWN:EE
In the hell, I was told by the reaper that I need to find out his true name if I want to go back to Waterdeep. But then the quest I received from a ghost (or other NPCs? I can't remember) outside is to seek the Sleeping Man. I was confused about why I need to do all these things to seek the Sleeping Man. I didn't know what exactly that quest has to do with reaper's true name.

I think the dialogs or the Journal can be improved to fix this defect. That can make the expansion pack an even better one.
Post edited by Ian579 on

Comments

• RohomildRohomild Member Posts: 26
    It's not that confusing, is it? Yes there is alot of, to finish this quest you - need to finish this quest - to finish this quest - x infinity. But after you've spoken to a few of the local NPCs things start to unravel and the "quest dominoes" start to fall.
    I think that you are supposed to feel lost when you start this arc, you where in fact just killed by a demon and is now trapped in hell, so in a real life scenario (well, something similar at least) you would feel confused and bewildered. That is probably what the developers wanted the player to feel, to set the mood. But start exploring the area and read what the characters have to say and it will make sense, in a weird way, after a while.
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited August 2020
    Rohomild wrote: »
    It's not that confusing, is it? Yes there is alot of, to finish this quest you - need to finish this quest - to finish this quest - x infinity. But after you've spoken to a few of the local NPCs things start to unravel and the "quest dominoes" start to fall.
    I think that you are supposed to feel lost when you start this arc, you where in fact just killed by a demon and is now trapped in hell, so in a real life scenario (well, something similar at least) you would feel confused and bewildered. That is probably what the developers wanted the player to feel, to set the mood. But start exploring the area and read what the characters have to say and it will make sense, in a weird way, after a while.

I think that does not make sense. If it's the script writer's intention that players get confused on this matter, the reaper himself shouldn't have told players the solution.

Anyway, it would be helpful if the Journal adds one sentence such as "Maybe this Sleeping Man knows something about true names."
    Post edited by Ian579 on
    Ian579 wrote: »

I think that does not make sense. If it's the script writer's intention that players get confused on this matter, the reaper himself shouldn't have told players the solution.

Anyway, it would be helpful if the Journal adds one sentence such as "Maybe this Sleeping Man knows something about true names."

Yes, but to what end? Sounds like you figured out the solution, so the game must have provided you with enough information for you to progress, even if the journal entry was insufficient.

Also the sleeping man don't know the name of the reaper, he's just a stepping-stone on your path forward.
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    Confusion is good for you!
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241

Yes, but to what end? Sounds like you figured out the solution, so the game must have provided you with enough information for you to progress, even if the journal entry was insufficient.

Also the sleeping man don't know the name of the reaper, he's just a stepping-stone on your path forward.

Thanks. My example was inappropriate then. I meant to suggest adding a sentence which gives players a serious reason to seek the Sleeping Man. Perhaps something like "Maybe the journey to the Sleeping Man can help you learn about the reaper's true name."

Thanks. My example was inappropriate then. I meant to suggest adding a sentence which gives players a serious reason to seek the Sleeping Man. Perhaps something like "Maybe the journey to the Sleeping Man can help you learn about the reaper's true name."

Yes probably, there is nothing wrong with being a bit clearer with the player in these kinds of plot-twists. I just remember that the story was on such a roll at this point that I never really stopped and didn't need to read the journal, so I can't say if the journal entry is good or not, just that the rest of the game provided me with a twisting, but pretty clear way forward.

But for player that aren't used to rpg's often expecting you to talk to everyone when you arrive in a new hub area or location, which is not the most elegant design chose, the way forward is probably pretty hard to grasp. And there a good journal entry would help.