Skip to content

Visual spells/effects guide?

Is there a guide for identifying various spells/effects/etc. by their in-game visuals?

Like how do I tell if a mage has cast Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Deflection, Protection from Normal Missiles, and so on?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    An interesting question. I know of no such guide, but it is something I have more or less learned over the course of playing the game. Learned by experience. There lots of various visual effects in the game, and some are used more than once by different spells/effects. Similar effects typically use similar visuals though. It would take a great deal of time and effort to assemble a comprehensive guide of the sort you are asking for. I would certainly be able to do it, but I am not sure I have the time right now. I must admit, though, that such a project intrigues me a bit.
    Adam_en_tiumJuliusBorisov
  • Adam_en_tiumAdam_en_tium Member Posts: 99
    What could be also cool, is a mod that logs the spell being cast if one your character knows it.
  • TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
    Maybe I'll do such a thing at least for BG1 spells if I find the time... Or rather, spells from level 1 to N. All I need to do is give a mage maximum Int and XP with the console (Tomes of Knowledge for Int), and all the scrolls, right?

In fact, do you even need the Int and/or XP for casting spells from scrolls?

I would make little videos and add them to the wiki.
  • TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
    I started creating little clips like this. Gonna be a while until I have them all covered. :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXJc1DBI02gUKbCAqO-0lfQ
    JuliusBorisovGusinda
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110
    Taylan wrote: »
    Is there a guide for identifying various spells/effects/etc. by their in-game visuals?

Like how do I tell if a mage has cast Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Deflection, Protection from Normal Missiles, and so on?

Raise the skill level of Spellcraft
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm
    DC 15+ spelllevel
    identifies the spell that someone else casts.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @ConjurerDragon wrong game - this thread is in the Baldur's Gate section.