Skip to content

[MOD] "Heroes, Thieves and Moneylenders" - Banter/Quest/Romance Mod for BG2!

Comments

• Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 281
    Mod updated, new version 2.9!
    https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/releases/tag/v.2.9
    • Fixed a bug with Edwin's dialogue in the Underdark. Thanks to Aria for the bug report!
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 58
    An impressive effort, especially with the crossmod content. Another reason for a thief PC is always welcome. Adding this to my usual install.
    Played a little bit on 2.9 in english.

Typos:
    • The journal entry for 'Nothing Comes Without a Price' says Lawrence is near the temple of Helm in the 'Most' district, when it should be the 'Bridge' district. The dialogue with Jackal correctly says the Bridge district.
    • When speaking with Lawrence, dialogue option 2 says for him to 'Drive' the money. I believe 'drive' should be replaced with a different verb, such as 'Surrender' or 'Hand over'.
    • After getting the money from Lawrence, the journal entry says we received '700' gold from him when it should be '500' gold.
    • When Jackal speaks with the PC after collecting the money he uses male pronouns even if the PC is female.

Actual feedback:
    The forced transition to fighting the collector after returning the money to Jackal is a bit sudden. I feel the player should have a chance to tell Jackal to wait and go rest/prepare first. The mage was very nasty on insane difficulty SCS.

My stupidity:
    For the troll case, where is Sidhe? I am supposed to speak with her after Lario but cannot find her.
    Thank you all for your feedback! We will definitely try to take into account all comments and correct mistakes!
    For the troll case, where is Sidhe? I am supposed to speak with her after Lario but cannot find her.

Probably not Lario meant, but Lorio (fisherman in the Docks area)? And not Sidhe, but Sidge? Sidge is a thief who stands at the entrance to the guild (next to the seller of stolen goods). In a future version, I will add the ability to ask different characters (including Renal) about the lockpick and they will direct them to Sidge to make the passage of the quest more obvious.
    Austin87 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your feedback! We will definitely try to take into account all comments and correct mistakes!

Probably not Lario meant, but Lorio (fisherman in the Docks area)? And not Sidhe, but Sidge? Sidge is a thief who stands at the entrance to the guild (next to the seller of stolen goods). In a future version, I will add the ability to ask different characters (including Renal) about the lockpick and they will direct them to Sidge to make the passage of the quest more obvious.

Yes, I meant Lorio and Sidge. I do not see her next to the fence in the shadowthief guildhall, so it seems she did not spawn in my game. I am playing on 2.5 using the 'beta' on steam. What would be the console command to spawn her?

Attached is my weidu log, in case anything there jumps out as an obvious conflict.
    edited May 2021
    Fishmalk_1 wrote: »

Yes, I meant Lorio and Sidge. I do not see her next to the fence in the shadowthief guildhall, so it seems she did not spawn in my game. I am playing on 2.5 using the 'beta' on steam. What would be the console command to spawn her?

Attached is my weidu log, in case anything there jumps out as an obvious conflict.
    Sidge is not related to any mods, this is a standard playable character.
    If you started the quest with the troll later than you have completed Renal's quests, it may happen that Sidge leaves this area. This problem has already been fixed in the master version (https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/archive/refs/heads/main.zip), later this fix will be included in the next release version.
    In order not to reinstall the mod, you can still return Sidge to this area via the console:
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("THIEF1")

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    one thing that really bothered me is how the dialogue for the start of the debt quest is handled.

no other mod has charname speak his/her dialogue out like that. it's very distracting.
    megamike15 wrote: »
    one thing that really bothered me is how the dialogue for the start of the debt quest is handled.

no other mod has charname speak his/her dialogue out like that. it's very distracting.

Hello! What exactly is the problem? I didn't quite get it, to be honest.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Austin87 wrote: »

Hello! What exactly is the problem? I didn't quite get it, to be honest.

charname normally does not speak their dialogue like the other npcs. that's the issue.
    charname normally does not speak their dialogue like the other npcs. that's the issue.
    This does not interfere with the gameplay, so it is not a problem in itself. Then the player is given several options to choose from and the quest can be completed in three different ways.
    Some mods do this the same way. For example, in "Rjali" mod, most of the dialogue is done the same way.

Yes, in some scenes of the HTaM mod there are many options for actions (for example, in component 4 the quest to remove a spell from a troll can be completed in different ways), in other quests there are few of them. The reason for this is that the quest texts were written by different authors, and some of us gave the player more freedom, while others focused more on developing the main storyline.

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    I'm trying to play this mod now (on v. 2.6.6).

Component 1 seems to be working fine. The party names are on the Trademeet statues, the "Paris" quest was completed, etc.

I'm not sure if Component 2 is working. The bank is there (and is lovely). I now have a bank account. And I completed the "Collector" quest (killing the Collector and his band at the end). But since then nothing has happened. I'm still in chapter 2, so perhaps subsequent events are triggered in later chapters?

Component 4 never fired -- that is, no messenger from Quayle ever approached the party after completing the Circus quest. (I think my party satisfies all the requirements: Aerie and Quayle survived Kalah, etc. Aerie is not in the party, but that is not mentioned as necessary in the "read me" document.) I believe that the messenger was supposed to approach the party 1 day after the Circus Quest. I killed Kalah 50+ days ago and nothing has happened yet.

If something is not triggering properly, is there some way to active the quests using the Console?

As I mentioned above, I'm using version 2.6.6 of BG2EE. Thanks!

(I really like the look of the bank, and appreciated the proper recognition in Trademeet, by the way!)
    edited June 2021
    Hello! Thank you for your feedback!
    The mod has not yet been tested by anyone on the new version of the game 2.6.6 - theoretically, something may not work correctly on it, but I do not have this version to test. All tests were on version 2.5.
    I'm not sure if Component 2 is working. The bank is there (and is lovely). I now have a bank account. And I completed the "Collector" quest (killing the Collector and his band at the end). But since then nothing has happened. I'm still in chapter 2, so perhaps subsequent events are triggered in later chapters?
    If the bank appears, then the component is working. Perhaps Owni died fighting the Collector? If Owni survived, he and his friends should show up at the bank building - did this happen? If Owni died, then the next two quests that he assigns to the protagonist will no longer appear in the game. In this case, you need to load an earlier save or use the console (I can write what commands are needed for this)
    You can also get the second quest branch, where Owni does not appear. But if the quest with Korgan's debt has already been started, then the second branch will not be available.
    messenger from Quayle ever approached the party after completing the Circus quest
    Please check if the necessary conditions for the appearance of the messenger are met?
    -You must be outdoors
    -This should not be a Waukeen Promenade area
    -Should be chapter 2 or 3
    -Must pass 1 day after completing the circus quest
    -You should have spoken to Bruce outside Gaelan Bayle's house earlier in Chapter 2. You can check this using the console command: CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("ANbrusTalk","GLOBAL"). The variable must be equal to 1. This condition is not mentioned in the readme file, because it is automatically fulfilled by any player who installed the mod before starting the game. If you installed the mod after starting Chapter 2 and talking to Bruce, then this condition will not be met.
    edited June 2021
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Regarding component 2:

I can't recall any character named Owni. The Collector and all his henchmen were killed. I know that of the half-orcs who accompanied me, only Caityga (Jackal's sister) survived. (Korgan was never in my party -- so I think I only did the "second branch"? I was hired by the Jackal.)

Regarding component 4:

Yes I spoke to Brus and have satisfied all the conditions for the messenger (many times during the game). I installed the mod before starting my game.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I can't recall any character named Owni. The Collector and all his henchmen were killed. I know that of the half-orcs who accompanied me, only Caityga (Jackal's sister) survived. (Korgan was never in my party -- so I think I only did the "second branch"? I was hired by the Jackal.)
    Ah, everything is clear! You have started the second quest branch, not the one with Owni. Then after defeating the Collector, you need to talk to the head of the bank's security, Shahbaz, on the lower floor of the bank. He will give a task that will need to be completed in Brynnlo when you get there in the story. There will be new areas and characters.
    Yes I spoke to Brus and have satisfied all the conditions for the messenger (many times during the game). I installed the mod before starting my game.
    Then it's very strange. Can you send your save so that I can check and try to find the reason? Everything works well on version 2.5 of the game.

Well that's a bit embarrassing! I never noticed those stairs in the bank going down. Thanks. :)

Regarding component 4: I've attached a recent save file.
    Regarding:
    Then after defeating the Collector, you need to talk to the head of the bank's security, Shahbaz, on the lower floor of the bank. He will give a task that will need to be completed in Brynnlo when you get there in the story. There will be new areas and characters.

I couldn't find Shahbaz on the lower floor of the bank. Does he not appear until chapter 3? Thanks!
    edited June 2021
    Regarding component 4: I've attached a recent save file.
    I can see what the problem is! In your save, the global variable "ANQuayleTroll" is equal to 1, and for the messenger to appear, it must be equal to 0. Apparently, at some point it switched, but the messenger did not have time to approach the protagonist and start a dialogue. This happens if, for example, in this moment you enter a building. To fix this now, go to any location other than the Waukeen Promenade and enter this command in the console:
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ANQuayleTroll","GLOBAL",0)

The messenger will appear.
    P.S. I will fix the script that is responsible for the messenger to appear to reduce the likelihood of such an issue in the next version. Thank you!
    I couldn't find Shahbaz on the lower floor of the bank. Does he not appear until chapter 3? Thanks!
    Same problem, I will fix it. In the meantime, enter the command
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ANshakal","GLOBAL",9)

in the console and a courier from the bank will approach you, inviting you to a meeting with Shahbaz.

Thanks so much! :)
    edited June 2021
    I managed to start both quests.
    But I have encountered another problem in the troll one. After I speak to Lorio (in the Docks) and Corneil (Government Building) , I return to the circus to consult with Quayle. However, Quayle and Aerie have returned to their previous state. So Quayle simply says, "Ah it is too bad you could not take her..." and Aerie asks to join the party. Neither mention the missing troll.
    Thanks!
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
    I managed to start both quests.
    But I have encountered another problem in the troll one. After I speak to Lorio (in the Docks) and Corneil (Government Building) , I return to the circus to consult with Quayle. However, Quayle and Aerie have returned to their previous state. So Quayle simply says, "Ah it is too bad you could not take her..." and Aerie asks to join the party. Neither mention the missing troll.
    Thanks!
    It should be. You haven't investigated all the evidence yet, so it's too early to talk to Quayle. You will need to go to him when the troll is found. Remember all the details found at the crime scene and continue asking those who might know something about them.

edited June 2021
    OK, thanks.
    However, I am having no luck with the other clue (about the lock).
    I tried to talk to Renal Bloodscalp about the lock and there were no relevant dialogue options.
    Then I noticed above (in this thread) that I am supposed to talk to a thief named "Sidge". However, he was no longer in the Guild. So I used the Console to make him appear ("THIEF1"). And while he does appear, he immediately runs away and my character cannot initiate a dialogue with him.

(Edited to change "Aran Linvail" to "Renal Bloodscalp." I'm still in chapter 2 and have not met Aran yet.)
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
    edited June 2021
    OK, thanks.
    Then I noticed above (in this thread) that I am supposed to talk to a thief named "Sidge". However, he was no longer in the Guild. So I used the Console to make him appear ("THIEF1"). And while he does appear, he immediately runs away and my character cannot initiate a dialogue with him.
    This problem has already been fixed in the master version of the mod and Sidge does not go away anymore.
    https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/archive/refs/heads/main.zip
    In the next update, the fix will be included in the release.

In the meantime, you can enter the command in the console
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("TalkedToRenal","GLOBAL",0)

So that Sidge stops leaving the area. And after that, create it with the console, as you already did above.

But after talking with him, write in the console
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("TalkedToRenal","GLOBAL",1)

to restore standard dialogue with Renal.

Thanks!
    (I've been using version 2.9 of the mod, by the way. I'm not sure if that is the most recent version. But I downloaded it from Github just over a week ago.)

These problems aside, I very much like the mod!
    Thanks again, Austin87.
    However, I've run into one more problem (sorry!).
    I completed the first troll quest successfully. And I think I've done most of the second quest. I convinced Mrs. Cragmoore to give me the scroll to undo the curse. But when I return to the troll there is no way to cast the scroll. (There is no scroll added to my inventory -- I'm not sure if one was supposed to be added.)
    Thanks for your patience and help!
    Thanks again, Austin87.
    However, I've run into one more problem (sorry!).
    I completed the first troll quest successfully. And I think I've done most of the second quest. I convinced Mrs. Cragmoore to give me the scroll to undo the curse. But when I return to the troll there is no way to cast the scroll. (There is no scroll added to my inventory -- I'm not sure if one was supposed to be added.)
    Thanks for your patience and help!

Oh, you're right! I checked the code and realized that the creation of the scroll was added in other options of actions (the scroll can be obtained in three peaceful ways and one combat), but I did not add the command to create the scroll when convincing Cragmoon (this method requires high charisma, and I forgot to test this option )! I have now fixed this in the master version, the fix will be included in the next version 3.0 too!

In the meantime, you can create a scroll through the console -
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("ANscrll2",1)

Thank you so much for finding this bug!
    (I've been using version 2.9 of the mod, by the way. I'm not sure if that is the most recent version. But I downloaded it from Github just over a week ago.)
    Yes, at the moment this is the last release version, but later it will be updated as there are several bugs that have been found recently. So far, all fixes are included in the temporary master version. You can use it for now until 3.0 is released: https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/archive/refs/heads/main.zip
    Thanks once more! B)
    I seem to have encountered one further problem with the main First Calimport Bank quest.
    I recovered Fayaz's treasure in Brynnlaw with no problems. The journal entry stated that I "can report to the bank" about this.
    Now I am back in Athkatla. I've gone to the bank but there is no one there who will accept my "report." I cannot find Shahbaz.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:
    edited June 2021
    I seem to have encountered one further problem with the main First Calimport Bank quest.
    I recovered Fayaz's treasure in Brynnlaw with no problems. The journal entry stated that I "can report to the bank" about this.
    Now I am back in Athkatla. I've gone to the bank but there is no one there who will accept my "report." I cannot find Shahbaz.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

Oh, sorry, this is my fault again! I forgot to add a command that will re-create it in this location in Chapter 6. Now I have fixed the script, the mod has been updated: https://github.com/Austin-BG/HTaM/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

But so that you don't have to reinstall the mod, just come to the bank and enter in the console:
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature(“ANshahba”)

P.S. By the way, if you did not give money to Sheila (a girl in the Slums area, whose husband died) in the Jackal's quest, then in Chapter 6 you can meet her again in the Slums and she will have a new dialogue where you will face the consequences of this decision))
    Merci! :smiley: