Skip to content

[MOD] "Heroes, Thieves and Moneylenders" - Banter/Quest/Romance Mod for BG2!

Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 281
edited November 2022 in BGII:EE Mods
Hello! Our Russian "Arcanecoast Team" has created a large mod for BG2!
There is an English version of the mod. We will be very grateful if someone proofread English texts in ANbeshaba.tra file!

Link:

Project Page
Download from G3
Download from GitHub

Description:

The mod consists of several independent components:

Component 1. «Interjections & Mini-quests» (by Austin & Arcanecoast Team):
- expansion of reactions of NPC (party members) to story events SoA&ToB
- a few new mini-quests (for example, if Cernd in the party, a mini-quest with milking a cow in the Slums will be available, in the Government District a nobleman will give a new quest, etc.
- If Aerie is with you in the Forest of Tethir, she will have a new small quest
- new NPC reactions to killing powerful monsters (dragons, lich Kangaxx)
- new dialogs between the protagonist and the NPC (for example, a large dialogue with Edwin in the Underdark)
- new banters between NPCs
- expansion of some standard quests. For example, to Umar Hills, the quest with the extraction of a gem from a chicken can now be solved in many ways - from using your ranger or druid skills to attracting NPC druids and NPC rangers
- extended solution to the quest about Kaza book, if the group has Keldorn, Edwin or both together (in this case, there will be a dispute between them)
- after completing quests in Trademeet and defeating Firkraag, in taverns, you may meet a storyteller telling about it (but be prepared that in his stories everything will be presented a little differently from what it really was)
- when you guess riddles in Spellhold, your companions will no longer be silent! Each of them (including the cross-mod NPCs from "BG1 NPCs in SoA&ToB" mod) will give their opinion on the riddles!
- after installing statues in Trademeet, the names of specific NPC companions will now be written on them, and not a general non-specific phrase
- Keldorn and Cernd's reaction to each other's family quests (if someone's quest is completed before the other and both are in a group)
- and other

Component 2. «First Calimport Bank Pack» (by Scheele & Austin & Arcanecoast Team):
Adds a new bank area on the Waukeen Promenade, quests, miniquests and various dialogues related to the bank, as well as an additional quest in Brynnlaw at three new areas, many new characters (and on the EE version, the two creatures will also have new animations). New area maps drawn by Gorion.
In the bank, you can open an account, top up the balance, check the balance and withdraw money from the account. Each game week, 2% of the total amount will be added to the account.
There are two different ways to get quests - one quest branch will start if there is Korgan in the group and completed his quest about Kaza's book, and the second - if the player agrees to help the half-orc that the player will meet.
The beginning of one of the two quest branch will block the parallel quest branch, so both options can be completed only with two different playthroughs of the game.
In this case, both branches will end with the quest "Pirate Legacy".
If you successfully complete the first branch of the quests, you can also ask a new ally for help in the fight against Bodhi in Chapter 6.

Component 3. «Shadow-Covered Love & Death» (by Alisia & Austin):
Adds:
1) For female protagonist: a big romance with the head of the thieves guild Aran Linvail (as with a non-group NPC) and a series of new quests (from large to microquests) that will become available as this relationship develops. Also included are flirting, reactions of other NPCs, a small episode in ToB, a new epilogue of the game with an active romance, the two quests listed below, and more! ATTENTION: Take your time to complete the third chapter, there is a lot of new things in it!
2) For male protagonist: two quests in the Thieves guild: the first quest will be given by Renal after completing his task (you should wait for the messenger on the street) in chapter 3, and the second major quest will be given by Aran after the death of Bodhi in chapter 6, provided that the player earlier took control of stronghold thieves.

Component 4. «The Missing Troll Case» (by Alisia & Austin):
Adds two new interconnected detective-focused quests to SoA. The story begins after the player solves a problem with the Waukeen Promenade circus. Expect a messenger from the circus with a problem report.
This component has one new area.

Component 5. «Unlocked original NPC reactions» (by Tipun & Austin):
There were situations in the game when only one of all the NPCs spoke, although the developers provided replicas for each. After installing this component, all NPCs in the party will speak.

Compatibility:

BG2, BG2EE, BGT, EET
It is better to install AFTER all mods adding new NPCs (otherwise their names will not appear on statues in Trademeet, and cross-mod content will not be used)
Compatible with "Romantic Encounters" mod ("Aran" episode) - while installing this episode and our romance with Aran, the content from "Aran" episode will not appear in the game. Added checks to disable this episode because they have a similar scene in our romance, but with further continuation of the romance. The consent of Kulyok (the author of the parallel episode) was obtained - she herself advised this solution.

Explanations:

In component 2:
To start the "Mae’Var’s Stash" quest, you need to have Edwin in the party during the last dialogue with Renal, while the player must NOT own a stronghold of thieves and must NOT have an orderly and good outlook.
There are also differences between the content of the mod on the EE version and in the classic version of the game. For technical reasons, I had to make some characters with different types of animation (this applies to Odrik and the Monster in the second component - they have new animation for EE, and the old one for the classic version), as well as different melodies in new locations (they are new on EE, on the classic versions are standard).

In component 3:
To activate the romance, it is necessary that the PC is female, by class - a thief (single or multiclass), by alignment - NOT lawful good, by intellect - above 12, by charisma - above 8, by race - human, elf or half-elf. You also need to complete Renal's standard quests and kill Mae'Var, as well as complete the first standard task from Aran. After that, in one day, you will receive a letter from which everything will begin.
To receive the largest quest, it is also necessary that the PC does not give up managing her guild (the loss of the guild is allowed, but initially it must be obtained).
Also, in order to see all the content, you need to select the option in one of the key dialogs in which the PC makes a promise to Aran (which one will be clear from the text). If you choose another option, the romance will be in a semi-active state, some episodes will not be displayed, but the possibility of parallel romance with other characters will remain.
For male characters, this component adds one major quest, which Aran will issue after Bodhi's death in Chapter 6, provided that the player previously took control of stronghold thieves.

In component 4:
The new quest will begin one day after the circus is freed (wait for a messenger from Quayle). Launch conditions - must stay alive with Quayle and Aerie (in the group or not - it doesn't matter) and chapter 2 must begin.
If any mods are installed on Quayle, then the quest will still be available, but with additional conditions:
-If Smiling Imp's Quayle is installed ("BG1 NPC to BG2"): if Quayle is not already in the party, the quest will start as usual. If Quayle is already in the group, then the quest will start if Aerie is also in the group.
-If the Lava’s Quayle mod is installed: the quest will start if Quayle has not yet joined the group and Aerie is alive.

Small episodes you might have missed:

1) On the second floor of the bank, pay attention to the cat walking around the location. You can "talk" with him.
2) If in the Jackal's quest line you did not share money with Sheila, then in chapter 6 you can meet her again in the Slums. She will look a little different and you will find out how her story ended.
3) In the dialogue with the city crier, you can now ask him if there is any news about the hero from Baldur's Gate
4) If the protagonist is an elf, the group is in the forest, there is Aerie in the party and the romance with her is not active, then an additional new dialogue will arise between Aerie and the protagonist
5) If the reputation of the group increases more than 17, and there is Edwin in the party, then he will start a new small dialogue with the protagonist
6) If in ToB the player decides to attack Marlow instead of helping him, then good characters (Mazzy, Keldorn, etc.) will speak out against such a decision, leave the party or even attack the protagonist
7) If you have Viconia in your party, now she will have interjections in the scene where the protagonist sees members of the House DeVir in cages in the Underdark
8) If there is Anomen in your party, he is accepted into the Order, and Anomen's father is dead, then try to return to Anomen's house - and an additional conversation will begin between Anomen and the protagonist. If there is Minsc in the party, then he will also take part in the conversation
9) In dialogues with bank employees on both floors of the building, there are several reactions from Jaheira and Jan
10) In the Bridge area, Anomen will have a new dialogue with a prostitute
11) There are new characters in the Bridge area - a tramp and his little daughter
12) After defeating Firkraag and solving Trademeet's problems, go to the taverns of Umar Hills and the Copper Coronet. There you will meet an old storyteller talking about your actions. Many NPCs in your group will have reactions to this.
13) Cross-mod content is provided with the mod «BG1 NPC to SoA&ToB» mod - if it is found during installation, then in the dialogue with the senior clerk in the Bank there will be an option to exchange currency from gold coins to platinum and vice versa.

Cross-mod content:
The mod has cross-mod content with the following projects:
1) Smiling Imp's «BG1 NPC for SoA&ToB»
http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=8b016e99d19664a614a43e4f9b1c788e&board=133.0
Additional dialogues of NPCs from this mod in new locations and in new situations, as well as the ability to exchange currency from gold to platinum in a bank on the Promenade
2) Ratatoskr and BCaesar's «Mega-Mod»
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71473/playable-clara-all-things-mazzy-version-1-037/p1?new=1
Additional lines of some NPCs in dialog with a dryad in Windspear Hills.
3) Kulyok’s «Tiax NPC for BG2» mod
https://github.com/Pocket-Plane-Group/Tiax_for_BGII.
Additional phrases of Tiax from this mod in new locations and in new situations.
4) Kulyok’s «Branwen BG2 NPC» mod
https://github.com/Pocket-Plane-Group/Branwen_for_BGII/releases/
Additional phrases of Branwen from this mod in new locations and in new situations.
5) Jastey’s «Imoen 4 Ever» mod
https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/other/imoen4ever/
Compatibility (if installed Imoen4Ever mod, then some of the lines will be changed so as to remove references to the abduction of Imoen)

Credits:

Austin, Scheele, Alisia - main authors
tipun - invaluable technical help
Gorion - maps of new locations
Apxu (Arkie) - partial translation of the first component into English, as well as ideas and texts of phrases
stn - ideas and texts of phrases
JamesMaxwell - ideas and texts of phrases
AGKanevchev - technical advice
Vadim Ingwall Baranovsky – partial translation of the third component into English
MidnightVoyager, contralexical, Guest Raelis– proofreading English texts
NiGHTMARE - ideas and texts of phrases
fallen demon - idea & banter text
Gray - the idea of multiple lines
Tameon the Dragoon - idea and text of two lines
River Hard - idea for one line
Post edited by Austin87 on

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Wow, that's a dragon's hoard of content! How long have you been working on this?
  • MidnightVoyagerMidnightVoyager Member Posts: 31
    I can't actually play the game right now, but I might have some time to look over the English translation files.
  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 281
    edited February 2021
    Isewein wrote: »
    Wow, that's a dragon's hoard of content! How long have you been working on this?
    Thank you! Yes, it took more than half a year - I started making this mod back at the end of July 2020 and since then it has been constantly expanding because I had co-authors with new ideas and quest scenarios that I needed to code. Since the end of December, the mod was finished, but it still needed to be translated into English, which was the most difficult for us, because none of us speaks fluently in both languages. Therefore, proofreading is required.

This is my first mod and in difficult situations I sometimes lacked experience, but thanks to the help from our Arcanecoast Team, everything worked out!
    I can't actually play the game right now, but I might have some time to look over the English translation files.
    I would be very grateful to you! :) In all the tra-files, I made special comments-marks, from which you can see in what situation the texts are pronounced - for the convenience of proofreading.
    well, that's weird. I posted a reply here and I edited it because I accidentally @ some people, my internet messed up, and now it's vanished.

Ugh, it wasn't a short comment. Well, let's try again. I have some particular problems with some of the translations I'd like to run by you.

I used DeepL to translate the Russian, like a second opinion. It helped a lot. DeepL translates to English more naturally than Google does.

This next line was quite messy. I'm not positive what she's saying, but I think she's suggesting Charname has tamed Aran but is not likely able to keep him tamed?

232 = ~Now I understand better the customs of the landmen, and I think it is abbil that you still cannot keep a man accustomed to rule in check. Although, probably, it was very interesting to tame such a male. Anyway, I like your choice because you joined the strong side ~ [VICONI07]

Here's how I've redone it.

232 = ~Now that I better understand the customs of the surfacers, I think, abbil, that you cannot keep a man accustomed to rule in check. Although, it must have been very interesting to tame such a male... In any case, I like your choice, for you have joined a strong side. ~ [VICONI07]

I'm really not sure what this next turn of phrase is:

422 = ~Yeah, the stone will flow in front of you, dear! For some reason, I am not surprised. However, it is better for me not to think about it - I am beginning to envy the Shadow Master. ~

The alternate translation I got suggested "stone will spread the water", so I went with ripples. I couldn't really make this feel natural because I'm not completely sure I know what he's saying. Figurative language isn't the easiest to translate!

422 = ~Yes, even a stone will spread ripples before you, my dear! For some reason I'm not surprised. I'd rather not think about it, though - I'm beginning to envy the Shadow Master. ~

I am completely lost on this next line, no translation is really helping. Why are paladins after the thieves guild kitchen? Is he saying that he eats well and that even if he is a paladin, Wispin couldn't resist an invitation to that?

349 = Of course, gentlemen paladins are very interested in knowing what kind of dishes are prepared in our kitchen.

I think that's all. I hope I didn't forget any of it.
    edited February 2021
    Thank you so much for your help! :)

Line @232 (dialogue with Viconia) really meant exactly that (that keeping Aran under control is difficult, but it would be interesting), you got it right! And the word "landmen" was mistakenly used there due to automatic translation, you replaced it correctly with "surfacers", thanks!

In line @422, Haer'Dalis really speaks figuratively (the meaning of this phrase is that even a stone could not resist the charm of CHARNAME) - if there is any English analogue to this proverb, then you can replace it so that the meaning is clear.

Line @349 also contains a figurative phrase - "what kind of dishes are prepared in our kitchen". If we explain it literally, it means the following - "what secret things are we planning" (or "what are we planning"). That is, the speech is about the fact that the paladins want to find out the plans of the Thieves Guild, and Wispin, as Aran suspects, is a traitor and passes information about the plans of the Guild to the paladins.
    Here, too, you can apply some analogue from the English language, but I do not know how to do it.
    Post edited by Austin87 on
    The archive with the mod has been updated!
    - several corrections were made to the English version of the text (thanks to MidnightVoyager for the edits!)
    - one of the names in the credits section has been clarified
    - minor code improvements

Proofreading of most English text files still required!
  • rossbach451rossbach451 Member Posts: 168
    I can help if you would like.
    I can help if you would like.
    I would be very grateful to you! :)
    Austin87 wrote: »

OH! So 349 would be that they would "love to know what we're cooking up"! I got it now.

Alright, I've finished checking ANAranSOA.tra. Here's the edited version. Mostly it's punctuation and wording changes to feel better to an English speaker.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejmfkg7wgtfkgys/ANAranSoA.rar?dl=0

There was a lot of "..." inconsistency where some of them were condensed to a "…" and some were spread like "..." I made them all "..." just for consistency's sake. If you prefer them the other way, it's easy to find-and-replace it. I also fixed some oddly formatted quotation marks.

I want to turn your attention particularly to lines 511-514 and the conversation with Bernard around 549. I think I've worked out the meaning in a way that makes sense, but I had to change so much wording that I want to be sure.

And finally, here are some errors I'm pretty sure are a machine translation problem. It's good to have them on hand in the future, just in case they crop up elsewhere:

"The Order of the Radiant Heart" often turned into "Splendid Heart" or "Shining Heart."

"Copper Coronet" turned to "Copper Crown."

"Calimshan" - the machine translation wanted to give it a K like "Kalimshan."

"Bhaal" kept turning into Baal.

"The Slayer" is what the English translation calls the avatar of Bhaal. Machine translation made it "The Assassin."

I found a "Sho-Lun" that I think was supposed to be Shou Lung. That's a place in Kara-Tur in Forgotten Realms.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9o4duzr4hqisgf/ANAranToB.rar?dl=0

And here's the TOB one, it was quite short. Out of editing time for today, but I think it's a very good start!
    Alright, I've finished checking ANAranSOA.tra. Here's the edited version
    Wow, thank you so much for your work!! And sorry for the silly mistakes associated with machine translation! I tried to fix them, but forgot to check some files entirely.
    About lines 511-514 - everything is OK with them and the meaning of the text is saved, thanks!!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9o4duzr4hqisgf/ANAranToB.rar?dl=0
    And here's the TOB one, it was quite short. Out of editing time for today, but I think it's a very good start!
    This attachment contains a file in Russian - perhaps the files are mixed up?

UPD: I updated the archive with the mod, and also indicated you in the readme-files in the "credits" section
    UPD: The archive with the mod will be re-uploaded!
    • Fixed a bug that appeared during the last update (one line was skipped and this would lead to an error installing the "Component 3")
    • Changed the readme file - now it opens as a PDF file
    Oop, you are correct, zipped the wrong file. Here is the right one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l4iu5051vjuv48/ANAranToB.rar?dl=0
    Oop, you are correct, zipped the wrong file. Here is the right one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l4iu5051vjuv48/ANAranToB.rar?dl=0

Thank you for help!! :)
    The archive with the mod has been updated!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/54j22phxruxkpu2/english.rar?dl=0

Here are a few more files. The typed dialect in the Bridge file was a little confusing. I tried to mostly keep it in without confusing the meaning.

Also I have no idea what 94 in the same file means. "Bubbles! Wait!" In or out of context, not positive what's going on there.
    edited February 2021
    Here are a few more files.
    Thank you very much!!!
    The typed dialect in the Bridge file was a little confusing. I tried to mostly keep it in without confusing the meaning.
    I forgot to warn about this, sorry! This dialect comes from John Steinbeck's novel "The Grapes of Wrath", from which several phrases for this character are taken (a vagabond from the Bridge area). In the Russian version, I slightly changed this text so that it does not stand out too much in style from the rest of the dialogues. But in the English version I could not do this and therefore left it as it was in the original. Thanks for the corrections!
    Also I have no idea what 94 in the same file means. "Bubbles! Wait!" In or out of context, not positive what's going on there.
    Oh, Bubbles is the name of the girl for whom two guys got into a fight in the Bridge area (this scene was in the original game). One of the guys in a fight is killed by the enemy. Mod adds NPC reactions to this scene. Then the winner (one of the two guys) calls Bubbles, who leaves after the fight and does not want to talk to the winner - as in the original game.
    The archive with the mod has been updated! Some more English tra-files are proofread thanks to MidnightVoyager! :)
    Ah, it's a name, got it.

Had some time, here's another stack. ANchain.tra through ANguild.tra

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr6p9gp0jjcvbau/English2.rar?dl=0

I noticed Brynnlaw kept turning into Brynnlow, so there's another one to look out for.
    Had some time, here's another stack. ANchain.tra through ANguild.tra

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr6p9gp0jjcvbau/English2.rar?dl=0

I noticed Brynnlaw kept turning into Brynnlow, so there's another one to look out for.
    Thank you very much!!
    I updated the archive with the mod - added these files, and also corrected the name Brynnlaw in all texts (now the correct one is indicated everywhere)

Got another question here.

16 - (The orc leisurely attaches the lanyard to his morgenstern.

The only thing I can find for "morgenstern" is a "morning star" and I'm not sure what a lanyard has to do with that. Is he "sheathing" it, so to speak?
    Got another question here.

16 - (The orc leisurely attaches the lanyard to his morgenstern.

The only thing I can find for "morgenstern" is a "morning star" and I'm not sure what a lanyard has to do with that. Is he "sheathing" it, so to speak?
    That's right - this is Morning Star. It's just that in Russian this word is pronounced the same as in German ("Morgenstern"), and due to machine translation this was not taken into account :(

About "lanyard" - the original meant a loop that was put on the hand so as not to drop the brush during the fight. But I don't know which word is the best in English for this. Maybe "sword-knot" would be more appropriate here?
    Aha! A lanyard in English is generally a necklace people use to carry a convention badge or an employee badge. I think we would call that a wrist strap since it isn't for a sword.
    edited February 2021
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu94zbqo3vck9jw/English3.rar?dl=0

Here's another few! ANheist.tra and ANkeep.tra. I think that makes half of it edited.
    MidnightVoyager, thank you very much!

The archive has been updated, the English texts have been updated and replaced with the proofreaded version!

Also contralexical checked and proofreeded three files - ANumarh.tra, ANwinspr.tra and ANunderd.tra!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k05a4ypfuv8cq0j/English4.rar?dl=0

I've got a few more files checked, ANkorgan.tra, ANmisc.tra, and ANmiscEE.tra. I also have ANbank and ANchain in here because I noticed some little things while looking back for reference.

I translated "IOU" as "promissory note" because it sounded more like something a bank would call it, by the way. IOU is more informal, like if you just owe a person money.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k05a4ypfuv8cq0j/English4.rar?dl=0

I've got a few more files checked, ANkorgan.tra, ANmisc.tra, and ANmiscEE.tra. I also have ANbank and ANchain in here because I noticed some little things while looking back for reference.

I translated "IOU" as "promissory note" because it sounded more like something a bank would call it, by the way. IOU is more informal, like if you just owe a person money.

Thank you very much!!!
    The archive has been updated, the edits have been taken into account!
    I also replaced "IOU" with "promissory note" in all other files (setup.tra and anpirat.tra too) as you suggested!
    In some other files I have made minor fixes too now. Please download the archive if you plan to continue proofreading (to use updated versions of files)
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    Just found this MOD and I'm particularly interested in this part:

"Component 1. «Interjections & Mini-quests» (by Austin & Arcanecoast Team):
    - expansion of reactions of NPC (party members) to story events SoA&ToB"

May I confirm, does this MOD add interjections and reactions of EE added NPCs (like Neera, Rasaad) to the main quests and side quests as well? I wanted to use them but always gave up because they won't really react to quests in Chapter 2.

PS: Another must play MOD, I indeed can play BG for another 10 years thanks to all modders :)
    edited February 2021
    marcnivar wrote: »
    May I confirm, does this MOD add interjections and reactions of EE added NPCs (like Neera, Rasaad) to the main quests and side quests as well? I wanted to use them but always gave up because they won't really react to quests in Chapter 2.
    Hello! Thanks for your feedback!
    Yes, there are reactions for Rasaad, Wilson, Neera and Dorn, although not too many.
    Also in component 2, a mini-quest for Neera in the bank was added (if there is Imoen in the group, then she will receive this mini-quest, not Neera).
    In component 3, dialogues with Dorn (and Rasaad, especially) regarding the PC's romance with Aran also includes, after which romances with Dorn or Rasaad will be terminated if the player prefers Aran. Of course, there are also dialogues with Anomen in this case.

There is no new content only for Hexxat, because none of the authors of the mod knew her character well.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    marcnivar wrote: »
    Hello! Thanks for your feedback!
    Yes, there are reactions for Rasaad, Wilson, Neera and Dorn, although not too many.
    Also in component 2, a mini-quest for Neera in the bank was added (if there is Imoen in the group, then she will receive this mini-quest, not Neera).
    In component 3, dialogues with Dorn (and Rasaad, especially) regarding the PC's romance with Aran also includes, after which romances with Dorn or Rasaad will be terminated if the player prefers Aran. Of course, there are also dialogues with Anomen in this case.

There is no new content only for Hexxat, because none of the authors of the mod knew her character well.

Glad to know ee npcs have added interjections, not many is still better than how they are now.

I'm curious about hexxat since ee release but never take her as I heard she is lack of content compared to the other ee npcs, and I consider others like Neera or Rasaad don have sufficient interjection when I use them.. it seems like even mod author rarely touch her..
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Austin87
    Having all the text in a Google Doc would make it easier for people to proofread it and add comments directly on that doc. How feasible is this?