Skip to content

BGEE ROLEPLAYthrough - NG Wizard Slayer>Thief [Minimal Metagaming/Reloads] (Complete)

SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 172
Hello,

I'm here posting another thread for a different character's playthrough, seeing how I just finished my Avenger run. I've been reading through the other threads on this board, the more "technical" runs I'll call them. I find them very interesting and enthralling...this is clearly on the other side of the spectrum from that, haha. Maybe one day I'll try my hand once I get good enough.

Either way, I've had this guy going for a bit, he's currently in the Underdark so I will write a few posts first to catch up on all the time beforehand.

These are my "parameters":

-PLAYTHROUGH of the entire BGEE saga from BG1/TotSC to SOD to BG2 to TOB. Core rules, unmodded.

-ROLEPLAY. I try to create a realistic character, I use the "Enneagram" personality system to get a good personality archetype, make a bit of a backstory and choose an alignment. This basically determines which quests I end up doing, which companions I keep, what areas I explore, in what order, and what dialogue options I choose.

-MINIMAL RELOAD. To me this means I reload when CHARNAME dies but try to roll with everything else. I do give myself case-by-case forgiveness for human error and real-world issues.

-MINIMAL METAGAMING. I go in without any preconceived plans for what I'll do during the run. I try to react naturally as the character would in that moment. I have a plan for weapon proficiencies and dual classing if applicable, but nothing from a plot or companion perspective.

Part of this whole thing is I like to see how many random vanilla BG experiences I can generate just by going through it with a different personality and with different motivations. I probably average ~75% of the game's content each run. Often I miss out on some of the best equipment.

This is the PC for this playthrough:

Syrian Ro
Human Wizard Slayer (9)>Thief
Neutral Good
Enneagram Type 6w7 "The Confidant"

Plan to focus on:
Daggers
Two Weapon Style
Short Bow

uoxf99d7k1gl.png

84l0nrqnv7vt.png

Biography:

Syrian Ro is community and friend-focused, so will form strong relationships, and feels comfortable as part of a group that he is familiar with. He's responsible and aims to be a good teammate. Often is good-natured and social, thinks about others and their safety, looks to form connections. Jovial when comfortable with the people he's around. Often described as amicable, and quite charismatic and loquatious and looks to bring people together. He's always been gifted athletically and developed naturally as a warrior, but the gift for speechcraft and influencing others, as well as love of urban areas and "clever problem solving" belie his true talents.

He prefers towns and cities over rural areas--enjoys people and the sense of community they can provide. In an ideal world, he has a large and strong support network of all good-meaning friends and acquaintances. Everyone works together to route out that foreign influence of corruption, villainy, and evil. He feels a great sense of responsibility to the community he is part of.

But unfortunately, a deeply wired belief of his is that the world is creeping with evil that will ultimately harm everyone in it, if not for the good people among us fighting against it. His mood can slowly darken into anxiousness and focused concern when threats to his friends and family and well-being make themselves apparent. However, he can re-focus much of his anxiety into altruistic responsiblity. He tends to control well his suspicion and paranoia and must remind himself to get all the facts before going down a rabbit hole of worry, but the possiblity is always present.

Ultimately, he wants security from a dangerous, magical world. A large support system of friends and family exists somewhere out there--he needs to believe--and he's always reaching to find one, but unfortunately some evil always manages to intrude--at which point he will generally try to build consensus before going after it alone. He definitely looks for and listens to the advice of his friends and companions.

As far as the Wizard Slayer profession...has been vaguely fearful of wizards since he was a child at Candlekeep, and developed an overall distaste for magic and magic-users. Being exposed to the mages that regularly came in and out of Candlekeep had some profound effect on him; he had some early-life traumatic scares with visiting mages. He was frightened of the power of magic from a youth filled with these run-ins with unsavory wizards and their ilk, and grew horrified of how magic could so easily be used for evil and cruelty and infiltrate the most innocent of places. Over the years, he has both consciously and unconsciously directed his Fighter training toward combatting--and protecting himself from--mages...it was always an evil wizard appearing in his mind's eye while training.

Mid-Saga Update: Since the truth about his heritage was revealed, he's taken to harbor special fear and loathing at those who would use the power of his divine blood for unholy rituals to sew evil in the world...always some dark magic intrinsic to who these villains are. He's come to rely even more on his support system of friends and companions as his worry and distrust about his father's legacy grows...

At the same time, he's quickly matured and has learned to be more subtle and adept in his interactions with the world. The transition into a thief has developed during the march to Dragonspear, through a desire to be prepared for every situation and combined with his adventures in the city of Baldur's Gate, which taught him to have more solutions for trouble than just knife fights.
Post edited by Selerel on

Comments

• SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 172
    edited June 2021
    BG1

[Days 1-6]

Imoen has always been very close to me, so I was glad that she followed Gorion and I before he was murdered, and that I have someone out here I can lean on. Meanwhile, I told Montaron and Xzar--the strange mage I didn't trust--that I would go my own path.

I listened to Gorion's last piece of advice which was to go to the Friendly Arm Inn to find Khalid and Jaheira, and I was comforted to know that they were close enough to Gorion to be almost family. I eagerly invited them to join up with Imoen and me. I agreed with them that we should head to Nashkel, we can potentially help the Sword Coast that way.

In Beregost, we recruited Kagain. I figured he may have some connections and relations to get information about Nashkel and the bandit crisis, in his line of work and all...some days later, he decided to just give up his caravan seach altogether and pal around with us full time. I guess he considered that more lucrative?

We also met Garrick in Beregost. At the time, 300 gold to protect Silke just seemed too good an offer to pass up. We ended up having to kill her; we brought Garrick along after the commotion. He was only with the group less than a day...really just a fight at the Red Sheaf and a block of rest. Until we encountered Neera.

The wild mage needed help from some other dastardly wizards after her. I immediately jumped to her aid, riled by these obviously cruel magic users. I was able to defend her--lethally--and actually brought her into the party, leaving Garrick, who seemed content to be staying in Beregost for the time being. Neera seemed goodhearted enough, so it made sense to have her around and help her use her magic for good.

7wq60qqcebm6.png

[Day 7]

With this group--myself, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Kagain, and Neera--we reached Nashkel.

I met Rasaad. We had a pleasant introduction, but our group was too large to take in another companion at that time. I also met Minsc--I expressed some interest in rescuing his charge Dynaheir, but again, no room in the group. Both of them looked like they'd be staying in Nashkel for some time into the future.

Also ran into Edwin, who had a much different reason for wanting to find this "witch" Dynaheir? Hmm, I thought, who is this infamous magic user? Maybe finding her and investigating may be another way to help the Sword Coast. A potentially evil mage roaming the wilderness does not seem like something we can just ignore. But of course I'm here in Nashkel and their mine situation must come first--Edwin was not happy about that decision and stormed off, rudely. I didn't especially care for him either.

I saw the statue of Branwen. I was initially shocked at the idea of someone who was magically frozen and cheaply shopped around by some halfling looking for gold. I didn't think it right to just fall into the halfing's scheme, but I vowed to one day acquire my own scroll and come back for this poor person.

[Day 8]

We fought through the Naskhel mines and learned about Tranzig in Beregost. After rescuing Xan, he offered his services, but there's no room in the group and I don't necessarily want more mages around anyway (Neera is fine for the moment). He fled the mines and said he was returning to his homeland.

581ezfoemq9v.png

[Days 9-24]

We traveled up to Beregost quickly to confont Tranzig and learn the location of the bandit camp...but prior to attempting this massive infiltration, it was best to lay low for a bit, since my name is getting known and people are looking to kill me for reasons completely unrelated to Nashkel. I had decided previously I would go investigate this Dynaheir, the witch in the southwest, to see if she's truly a threat.

On our way there, I met Safana in the Lighthouse area. She piqued my interest with her story of treasure, and it seemed like a good idea at the time to have two thieves as companions, to master their separate skills faster. Kagain, on the other hand, seemed to be more extra weight than anything. He wasn't a fantastic fighter (no defense!), and it was clear he had no special information about the bandit crisis. In fact he was likely trying to profit from us in some way. So he was replaced with Safana. He said he'd be interested in joining back up at some point, and looked to stay posted up there for the time being.

Finding Safana's treasure cove, we could not cause any harm to the Flesh Golems with our non-magical weapons. They were too strong for us and we'll have to return at some point when we have magic weapons.

Eventually we did get to the Gnoll Stronghold and battled our way inside, rescuing Dynaheir. As it turns out, she seems innocent enough, and I was reassured by her description of her mate Minsc as good and noble. I wanted to offer to let her come with us until we caught up with him again, but couldn't fit her into the group unfortunately. She seemed to stay lingering in the Stronghold for the time being, now that the Gnolls were cleared out.

Safana died in the Stronghold invasion (while getting too close to a Gnoll as she tried to use Safana's Kiss). So we emerged from the wilderness and went back to Nashkel to resurrect her, and then headed back north to Beregost to purchase magical weapons (which was now possible). On the journey back to the treasure cove, we apparently weren't going quick enough for her though, or she just completely lost interest. She got impatient and left us; not sure if we'll ever see her again. However, I was still intent on seeing if we could get our hands on that treasure.

At some point after Safana left, I re-recruited Garrick.

Ran into "Melicamp" at some point too, a twisted and magical talking chicken. I was initially disgusted by this perversion of nature and slaughtered the chicken, thinking it the right thing to do to put this creature out of its misery. After I did that, I realized I had killed an innocent person...not just some twisted creature. I guess I reacted out of fear, acting too aggressively when I should have slowed down. Word of this incident somehow spread (witnesses?), so it harmed my reputation which had been steadily increasing.

While confronting some hobgoblin bandits out in the wilderness, a Neera wild surge went wrong and a Nabassu was summoned. The demon slaughtered the hobgoblins as we ran away, but it nearly caught up with us before being unsummoned. This had a pretty big effect on me and I'm beginning to distrust Neera--she may mean well, but her magic is exceptionally dangerous and she seems not to take it too seriously.

Encountered Drizzt Do'Urden, too, and gave him a hand against the gnolls. He gave me some advice, which bsically said that I should be subtle and cool my heels for the time being...this in turn will actually be better for my quest in the long term, as I'd be able to gather better information. That made a lot of sense to me and I was grateful for the famous adventurer! Instead of rushing into the bandit camp, I decided I'll take my time, adventuring in the east and northeast and slowly circling in towards the camp, wanting to become very familiar with the greater area first.

[Day 41]

Wanting to help Neera, we tracked down Adoy, who supposedly could help her control her magic. At the end of the day though, he said he couldn't help...which was very bad news. But at that moment, Red Wizards teleported in, still hunting the wild mages. Neera was actually killed in the ensuing battle and Adoy had cast a spell that made him vanish. This left the rest of us standing there anticlimactically once the fighting was over.

Now since it doesn't appear Neera can be helped, I have a hard decsion about Neera. I may just go without resurrecting her. It's a tough choice, but at the end of the day, her chaotic magic can hurt innocent people, so maybe the Sword Coast is better off without her...the rest of my group really isn't giving any guidance.

n4g6c8u0h5pp.png

[Day 47]

Infiltrated the bandit camp and learned about Cloakwood.

[Days 57-59]

While in Cloakwood, we were stopped by two people looking for a certain Dorn character. This Dorn then showed up and helped kill them. He's a strong swordarm who offered to join our party, but the rest of my group warned against him, so I dismissed him, especially after I realized the reputation loss I would suffer. It was a brief and rude interaction. He will be at the Friendly Arm Inn if I ever need him...

Meeting Faldorn, I decided we could use her help in our coming trials against the Iron Throne. This meant that Neera would definitely not be coming back to join us; it's a tough call, but as I had been thinking for the past two weeks: her magic is dangerous.

I also met a few other charaters while in Cloakwood:

-Coran--He told me about Wyverns, but I didn't want him to join our group at the time.
    -Eldoth--I wasn't interested in his slimy scheme to blackmail a wealthy Baldur's Gate noble.
    -Yeslick--We rescued him; had no need in our group, but he gave some information on how to take out the mine before making his way to the exit.

Evetually we defeated Davaeorn.

22c3njtn58gm.png

[Day 62]

After flooding the Cloakwood mines, for reasons mostly attributed to overthinking, I decided I wanted more "street smart" characters for my entry into Baldur's Gate, so I could make sure I blended in well when we got there, and generally just acted appropriately. Seeing how the iron crisis seems as well solved for the region as possible, I decided Khalid and Jaheira's companionship may have outgrown itself. I replaced them with Coran, and they seemed to have decided to live off the land in Cloakwood for a while. I eventually regretted doing this, but not for a while...

[Day 66]

Entered Baldur's Gate for the first time. First saw Quayle, but didn't like his attitude, and he was still loitering outside the gate.

Upon entry, I also met Scar. He seemed like a straightforward warrior-type, and was a higher-up in the Flaming First. I trusted him pretty quickly, as he's very unlike some of these other mage-type characters I've met thus far... I agreed to look into the Seven Suns Trading Co., althrough I didn't get a specific timeline expectations from him. So I needed to be strategic and subtle in how I approach this investigation...obviously, there were a lot of eyes on us as a fairly reputable group entering the big city. As I said, I wanted to ingratiate myself first with the cityfolk and get a lay of the land before just stomping down doors and swinging my daggers.

Decided I want to start making the city feel like home, and I gave myself about a month to really get my grounding before stirring the pot.

[Day 78-81] After some days exploring the Gate, I made my first expedition back out down the Coast Way. I had acquired a Stone to Flesh scroll, so we journeyed all the way down to Nashkel. And I'm glad I did, and glad I met Branwen! With immense gratitude, she offered to join our "cause"--she seemed a better fit that Faldorn, who had very much been acting as an outsider for most of her time with us. I replaced the Druid with the Priest of Tempus.

I found Commander Brage at some point. I guess it ended violently, as I returned his body to Naskhel around this time.

[Day 82]

Returned to Baldur's Gate and got into some trouble. To strike a good relationship with the Theives' Guild, I agreed to rob Oberan's daughtermages. I appreciate the Thieves Guild--they, more than anyone else, have their finger on the pulse of the city, and there seem to be at least some good enough folk there, despite their line of work. And really, I wasn't going to argue too hard against being a thorn in the side of some plotting mages where were no doubt up to nefarious activity.

During the battle with Oberan's daughters, I used a Wand of Fear multiple times on the large contingent of Flaming Fist that came to confront me (to avoid hurting most of them), then snuck out once I was able to retrieve the items of interest.

I escpaed and booked it to the other side of the city, and hadn't heard much in the day since from a law enforcement perspective. But I still thought it prudent to make another quick expedition out of town to explore the Sword Coast a bit more. We were only back a short time; but I had spread my money around donating to the church and increasing my reputation, while also staying at the Elfsong to chat up the locals a bit. If I come back in a week or two,  I figured I would have sufficient influence and groundedness at that point to begin working on the trade guild quests.
    edited May 2021
    TOTSC

[Day 86]

We cleared out the top levels of Durlag's Tower then took out the basilisks and doom guards on the roof before heading out and vowing a return. Coran couldn't crack some locks, and Imoen missed some traps that very easily could have been calamitous. They both needed to gain some experience before we try to penetrate the bottom levels...

[Day 94-96]

I infiltrated and exposed the Seven Suns and Merchant League horrors, and made my dramatic return to Candlekeep. I did in fact kill the Iron Throne leaders, for good reason, but got arrested and later escaped through the catacombs.

b7qznld5iz5i.png

nnk9yzdjh8mx.png

I knew that Sarevok was causing more ruckus, but at least (in my estimation) the Iron Throne plot was severely debilitated. But since I just narrowly escaped the death penalty, it was wise to steer clear of Baldur's Gate for a few weeks while things cooled off. I fled down south to Amnish territory (Nashkel), but I thought now's the perfect time to revisit the rest of Durlag's Tower and really train up my party for the trials to come.

[Day 102]

I was just about to dive into the lower levels when I had a change of heart. If I am to dive into this famous, fatally dangerous dungeon, and then go on to confront my newfound archnemesis Sarevok, I'd really rather have those I trust completely--those who are almost like family--on my side. There is just something shady about Coran, and his standoffishness had just been irking me a little.

On top of that, since my group has little in the way of arcane magic use (just Garrick), it wouldn't hurt to overcompensate with divine magic. With a cleric, druid, and bard, I thought, we should be able to hold our own magically against any enemies that come our way.

So I ordered a temporary retreat and decided to march back up to Cloakwood and hope to recruit back the fighter and fighter/druid. There's really no one else I'd rather have by my side plunging into dungeon depths with me.

My "final" team ultimately materialized as this large 6-person party:

Syrian Ro (Wizard Slayer)
    Khalid (Fighter)
    Jaheira (Fighter/Druid)
    Branwen (Priest of Tempus)
    Imoen (Thief)
    Garrick (Bard)

[Day 108] I returned to Durlag's Tower after prepping the new group. I thought that getting the team working together will be great practice for when I eventually have to confront my enemies in Baldur's Gate. If anything, I initially saw this as an exercise in teamwork, while simultaneously clearing out an evil blight on the landscape. I was also hoping to gain some additional fame and support of the surrounding Sword Coast lands before my controversial return to the city.

[Day 112] I made it to the very bottom of Durlag's Tower, almost trapped as far as I could tell. The way out is through at this point, I told myself. There was some evil insidious magic here. This had gone beyond a getaway dungeon excursion into something bigger. I wanted to make right by Durlag's people, and the rest of the countryside, by extinguishing whatever evil was there.

I was also beginning to worry about putting Imoen in so much danger as the scout for the group with not-yet-perfect trap detecting skills. Maybe, I thought, it was best for ME to be the scout at some point in the future, so I could stop putting my friends at risk, and also be able to gather all my info firsthand. [Note: these are the first character thoughts of serious dual classing to thief, I decided.]

[Day 119] I went back in Baldur's Gate after defeating the Demon Knight at the bottom of the Tower and the Tanar'ri in Ulgoth's Beard. We were slinking around the streets at night trying to avoid the Flaming Fist, but it was about time we resolve this issue. Apparently Scar had been assassinated.

[Note: At this point, looked likely I would never do Ice Island or Werewolf Island.]

[Day 122] I ultimately wrecked Sarevok's plans and chased him down to the Undercity. In a fight against Skeleton Warriors, Khalid died. But at that time I had Sarevok pinned down, and really believed I could win without needing Khalid. So just the five of us we rested once more, right inside the underground maze, before the final confrontation.

kocbw77r5por.png

Final battle with Sarevok with:

Syrian Ro (Level 8 Wizard Slayer) (Dagger of Venom and Heart of the Golem)
    Jaheira (Level 6 Fighter/Level 8 Druid)
    Branwen (Level 8 Priest of Tempus)
    Imoen (Level 10 Thief)
    Garrick (Level 10 Bard)
    Khalid (Level 7 Fighter) (DEAD)

[Note: The Sarevok battle was basically won with monster summoning wands, without going into detail. The man himself went down with a combination of melee, missile, and magic damage, but the summoned monsters kept most of the enemies distracted throughout.]

Other characters I encountered at some point during my Sword Coast adventures (no specific timeline I can remember):

-Kivan--Met outside of High Hedge, in a brief and rather rude interaction. Went our separate ways.
    -Ajantis--Didn't have room for him at the time. I was intrigued that he was in the area purely to fight the brigands, which I respected.
    -Viconia--I ended up siding with the Flaming Fist. They're the law in these parts, and she was wanted for murder. She attacked, and we killed her.
    -Baeloth--He teleported right on top of us in the wilderness. He was a mage who used some threatening language, so we attacked, he fought back, and was killed.
    -Shar-Teel--I beat her in her own duel, but didn't need her for my cause. So she called me stupid and stormed off.
    -Tiax--met in BG but didn't want him as a companion.
    SOD

[Day 132]

It's been a "few weeks" since I slew Sarevok (10 days...). Imoen has apparently decided to become a mage. I'm a little suspicious of the move but wish her the best. In the meantime, it looks like we've reunited with Safana, who I traveled with for a short time on the Sword Coast in my first few weeks out of Candlekeep; eventually she cut ties and basically abandoned us, but apparently I've invited her back. Most of the party, though, is talking about wrapping up their adventuring in Baldur's Gate as we finish hunting down Korlasz and the remnants of her crew.

[Day 148]

Been staying in luxury at the Ducal Palace this whole time, after my Sword Coast-and-Durlag's Tower party disintegrated, sadly. Khalid and Jaheira were ready to get some long awaited rest and relaxation, and the others splintered off for various reasons. Imoen, thankfully, is also staying at the Ducal Palace with me but she is not party of my "adventuring party", or what remains of it, any longer.

After the assassin attack, it's obviously there is something strange and evil afoot up north in Dragonspear. The major allies of Waterdeep and Daggerford are joining forces with Baldur's Gate to put an end to the crusade, and obviously I feel a responsibility and deep loyalty to the city to help out as much as I can.

Ran into Skie at the Ducal Palace--I did not meet her during my previous adventures, so it an awkward introduction. But she told me that Caelar is suspected to be a Bhaalspawn as well...hmm, this is excpetionally foreboding.

To help in my expedition, the Flaming Fist have managed to track down Garrick, Coran, and Safana (Elfsong), Dynaheir and Minsc (Three Old Kegs), Rasaad (Iron Throne), and Tiax (FF HQ). As far as Tiax, things did not work out the first time I met him. Rasaad, I met briefly once, but don't really know him.

At Three Old Kegs, talked with Minsc for a bit...but truthfully, I don't know either of them that well, however positive the interactions were a couple of months ago down south. I didn't invite them to my party.

At the Elfsong, Garrick rebuffed my recruitment attempt. He wants to stay at Elfsong Tavern. What? Damn, doesn't seem like I can convince him. Coran also had no interest in joining. However, Safana was very interested to be in my company, and joined readily...I'll most likely be needing a thief for my journeys ahead. Apparently a little time on the Sword Coast and then some gang-hunting in the sewers drew us closer together.

I did eventually check in on Rasaad, but he also does not want to currently join me. Okay, so be it--just me and Safana headed out. I'm getting the urge to bring Minsc and Dynaheir into the group, just for some magical prowess and extra support...but I'm not sure yet. They are from a distant land and Dynaheir, even though I've met her before, is a known "witch." Minsc himself is a bit unstable and tough to predict. So ultimately I decide against it. Besides, I will also have a large contingent with me; Safana and I won't be completely on our own.

kvchyk2szb2e.png

[Day 152]

Before we left, I saw Viconia the Drow was coming. She does not recognize me, and I want a cleric in the group for healing and spellcasting purposes...but how can I hide the fact that I left her to die at Flaming Fist hands and she attacked me for it? I don't know if I can make it right, but we'll see. I did invite her to my party, even if onlookers were horrified by it--and there is friction immediately. She immediately threatens to leave, as my reputable nature is too "irritating" for her. Ugh, she's probably not long for the group.

Left Baldur's Gate and marched north. From a big picture, I am beginning to become very concerned and restless, overthinking on the Caelar Argent scheme. There is definitely strange magic involved, and what did that Hooded Figure have to do with it? And why did she try to kill ME, in particular?

Once we got to the Crossing, I added Corwin to the group, figuring a Flaming Fist captain would be a welcome addition to our team. We had got drinks that first night after Caelar's attack on the palace, so I'm fairly comfortable with her.

ofhf6rvb0lal.png

[Days 153-154]

Bumped into Edwin, he was very suspicious and I don't trust wizards anyway. I almost fought him but Corwin talked us down. I sent him away, having a definite aversion to the guy. But he did tell us Caelar was a day's journey north, so should get a move on pretty quickly! Want to clear the path of any danger, and investigate the humming stones, prior to the FF army following through...

I found the undead dungeon and both Corwin and Safana died as we tried to clear it. Viconia and I tried to push on together, but eventually we hit too much resistance and had to head back to camp to resurrect my companions. Initially I didn't want to keep the FF waiting (when I should have been scouting), as Caelar's threat is of utmost importance. But this is strange death magic right here, and it could also lead to immediate harm as our forces pass by. Can't just move on until we clear the evil here...

[Day 155]

]The crusade blew the Coast Way bridge. We need to re-route to Boareskyr Bridge. I also see that there's a forest about 4 hours away, I am suspicious about possible dangers there for the contingent (we've already seen plenty) so want to check it out.

I saw Rasaad out there, but didn't need him in the group anymore. Sent him away to the camp.

[Day 157]

On the march to the Troll Claw Woods, I decided to begin to put my skills and experiencing into developing my thieving skills.

[Note: As it says in his bio, "He's quickly matured and has learned to be more subtle and adept in his interactions with the world. The transition into a thief has developed during the march to Dragonspear, through a desire to be prepared for every situation and combined with his adventures in the city of Baldur's Gate, which taught him to have more solutions for trouble than just knife fights."]

On my part, there has been a tremedous amount of unease as we head towards the spot of the murder of my father, combined with the fact that it seems the portal to hell underneath Dragonspear needs the "blood of a God"...it's clear I'm being drawn here for some evil mystical purpose, but seemingly can't stop my progress towards it, almost like a nightmare.

Having met Glint a few times, I realized I may actually like the friendly gnome. I had some more issues with Viconia, so in the end I decided to replace both her and Safana with the multi-class gnome. I rationalized that they would both still be with the Coalition, so I'm not really abandoning them in any way, and in fact they're being kept a bit safer. I finally decided to add Minsc and Dyanheir too; I hope I can get along with them. Minsc will have to handle most of the melee responsbilities while I act as an inexperienced thief. My party for a while was:

Syrian Ro (Wizard Slayer (Inactive)>Thief)
    Minsc (Ranger)
    Corwin (Archer)
    Dynaheir (Invoker)
    Glint (Cleric/Thief)

In the evening, after resting for the day, I found the freshly dead bodies of Jaheira and her companion (Voghlin) in the northern area of the Troll Claw Woods. I had heard battle with trolls from afar [i.e., saw the battle was going on in dialogue while I was in the southeastern portion]. By the time I was able to find the battlefield, it was long over. I was troubled and confused by Jaheira's corpse. Why was she here? Where was Khalid? And how awful is it that she was killed and I'm not able to resurrect her?

[Day 159]

I marched to the Bridgefort siege camp and was accidentally able to establish myself as a potential recruit to the Crusade. I was able to learn that there is a wardstone that allows access to the Bridgeport, maybe having to do with that magical rune outside? A missing crusader's son is there, a rescue of him may help me gain trust (or at least more info about this wardstone).

Full-scale war and destruction of the siege camp is a very uneasy option sitting down at the bottom of my mind. Not sure of any other way to break the stalemate. No real other option but to explore the Forest of Wyrms to the east, as it's my only lead...maybe that's where the crusader captain's son has gone?

[Day 160]

I am exploring the caves and caverns in the Forest of Wyrms and discovered a large underground facility. There ends up being some dark religious cult here, unfortunately something worth checking out.

Looks like the worshippers of Cyric took over. Somehow, they were dense enough not to attack me when I said I was one of them...so for now, I'm still just exploring and figuring out what's going on. The fact that this was a Temple of Bhaal strikes some fear into me. My cursed blood does not bode well for this entire march to Dragonspear, and somehow I keep trudging on deeper and deeper, inescabably. It is a strong pull I can't tear myself away from.

[Day 161]

u84dzax82nxq.png

Corwin had fallen in the battles leading up the Mind Flayer reliquary, but we were able to defeat the monster without her, although Dynaheir also fell in the final battle.

[Day 162]

I am welcomed into the Crusader siege camp, but I am careful not to reveal my true identity. I mean to gather information and look at what precisely I may be up against if it comes down to battle. It looks like the recovery of the wardstone is the top priority for them right now, as to be expected if it's truly the "back way" into Bridgefort. I had Glint wait outside the camp with it, fearing it may somehow be detected on my person.

Found Dorn again in a cage. I guess I had some vague recollection of him, but couldn't really recall our past meeting that well. Corwin disapproved pretty strongly...and I absolutely did not want to make myself known here by releasing prisoners, so I'm keeping him in the cage for now.

Once inside of Bridgefort, using the rune circle, I found Khalid leading the forces. It was a nice reunion, but I could not bring myself to tell him about finding Jaheira's dead body [and it wasn't a dialog option...]. He does not ask, so I guess we're just not going to talk about it.

Met Neera as well. I brought up Adoy...but her death and (my lack of help in getting her a proper) subsequent resurrection did not come up, thankfully. It was a rash move back then and I acted out of fear. I feel very guilty, and decided this time I will do my best to actually help her this time. I eventually got her all those ingredients she listed. I am not so comfortable to consider having her back in the group, though.

[Day 163]

Bridgefort siege was resolved in relatively short order. A meteor that got everyone sick crashed into the fort; because we were level drained, I quickly entered the camp once more to retrieve the scroll to neutralize the magic--maybe more aggressivly than usual. Unfortunately, my cover was blown by the Crusader guarding the scroll. I ran out of camp with the scroll as quickly as I could, but he alerted the rest of the siege camp and they became hostile to my party, even though Glint and I managed to escape up back toward the rune circle.

I delivered the scroll and cured everyone--but as this point, we could hear Flaming Fist fighting the Crusaders outside. Whether some Flaming Fist scouts saw the siege camp mobilizing for combat, or there was some communication snafu, the Flaming Fist sent a contingent to attack the camp. I heard from inside [i.e., saw the combat dialog again]. I ported back outside as quickly as I could and joined the battle. Most of the fighting was at the siege camp gate, and after a while the Bridgeport defenders came out and also joined the attack. I slew the two wizards, Kharm, and the Barghest, and now the Fort and Bridge is ours.

[Day 177]

We have made our way to the Coalition camp.

[Day 179-181]

Traveled to Bloodbark Grove. My first priority is to find a cure to the disease the gripping the camp. Also, the Waterdeep Commander basically told me to stear clear of camp for a while since people don't trust my Bhaalspawn nature. I didn't really appreciate that, I'd much rather be part of the camp, but I understand I must gain trust. He also asked me to poision the army at Dragonspear--something I'm not prepared to do. There was a bit of a falling out, but I know I have the general support of the Coalition. After doing my best to cure the camp plague, I will head to Dead Man's Pass at attempt to cut off the underground supply route and break the siege.

I also welcomed my good friend Khalid to the party, rounding out another large 6-person group. Having Khalid in tow may also help to establish more trust amongst the Coalition, since he is also a popular figure now as leader of the Bridgefort defenders. Of course, I cannot get rid of Dynaheir (a good woman and the only arcane caster I can trust), and thereby Minsc, or Glint (the only healer available to me other than Viconia, who I can't journey with due to reputation and alignment). It's also a must I keep Corwin as a companion, I very much like her--we may have begun a romance, actually--and obviously she is a respected figure among the Coalition too.

After finding the cure, I'm still not very "wanted" in the camp, especially by Flaming Fist and Waterdeep leadership, but what can you do? Slightly under the radar, I helped train the troops the evening I was back, made some conversation with the locals, spent the night and headed out in the early morning to REALLY now try to break the siege.

[Day 183]

Well, explored Dead Man's Pass and the outskirts of Dragonspear (and brought back Skie), but realized that is not the way into their secret supply line...it must be the underground river passage, so after one more day spent in camp (alleviating the tensions somewhat by conversing with Command, even though I'm still not really wanted...), I ventured out east to figure out a way to break the siege from THAT direction.

[Day 184] I have infiltrated the caverns leading to and underneath Dragonspear, posing as a Crusader brigade. I should have the ability to do some very crucial scouting and information gathering. Minsc has died in a skirmish down below, but we will soldier on...I should be able to manage this with a subtlety not usually affored with Minsc in the group. I will try to resurrect him when I can.

I was able to resurrect Minsc with a Crusader priest, gather info about Hephernaan, blow my cover with the entire Crusade supply operation, hide away and rest in a hidden cave, and place the explosive barrel. My only goal now is to return to the Coalition camp and see what the next steps are. I also have a responsbility to those druids to end Farruk's evil corruption of the forest, so I will attempt to do that on the way out as well.

[Day 185]

Caelar and Hephernaan apparently just want *me*, for what I long expected: some divine magic ritual to reign chaos on this world. It's important to protect everyone, including the Coalition and even the bulk of the naive Crusaders, from that very dark magic. When I refused to go with them, they readied to attack the camp. Clearly they suffered a strategic loss from my attack on the Dragonspear caverns.

At this point, I also regained my Fighter skills and abilities.

lgeq4o3t7h5e.png

We defeated the camp attackers, rested for a bit, then headed with the army up to Dragonspear to begin the siege in earnest.

u10gjz98cqf2.png

[Day 187]

Entered Avernus and battled my way to the Basalt Tower. And Minsc unfortunately died (again) in the battle with Thrix the Profane. It was a tough battle and I barely scraped by. I'm going to have to forge ahead without Minsc, unfortunately, as I see no way to resurrect him. Even if I were able to get back through the portal to hell, they have sealed the door so there would be nothing I could do.

I rested at the base of the elevator (spent a night holed up in hell, somehow without incident) and now plan to press on.

zxdcmnbsw09c.png

Won the final battle against Belhifet and Hephernaan with the following 5-person crew (I convinced Caelar to fight back against the devil):

Syrian Ro (Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 11 Thief) (Dagger of Venom and Spellbreaker)
    Khalid (Level 9 Fighter)
    Corwin (Level 9 Archer)
    Dynaheir (Level 11 Invoker)
    Glint (Level 8 Cleric/Level 11 Thief)
    Misnc (Level 9 Ranger) (DEAD)

Following closure of the gate to Hell, I "consummated" the Corwin romance that night in Dragonspear. We had been growing closer and closer all this time, and I was always drawn towards her appreciation for family.

Tragically, Corwin broke it off while I was framed and incarcerated and that hit me pretty hard. Eventually, I was snuck out of my cell in Baldur's Gate by the other Dukes who knew me to be innocent. Met up with Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Imoen outside the gates...

y6ye8zse6mx2.png
    edited May 2021
    BG2

[Day 0]

I was woken up in Irenicus's dungeon by Imoen. "Rescued" Minsc from his cage. Sad to hear about Dynaheir, but Minsc has been a loyal friend at this time, so we are absolutely in this "escape attempt" together.

Much to my surprise, I also saw Jaheira. Since she was not with the group who met me outside the walls of Baldur's Gate, she must have been camped out close by because apparently she was waylaid and brought to the dungeon too. Naturally I asked about Khalid, but no one seems to know.

Last time I saw Jaheira, she was dead in the Troll Claw Woods before I ever talked to her, and I had no way of resurrecting her. My assumption is obviously that someone in the Flaming Fist army, probably immediately preceding or following the Bridgefort battle, discovered her body and was able to resurrect her. She must have stayed behind to heal, I guess only catching back up with Khalid and the Coalition the day after I was taken back down to the Gate?

As far as Minsc: as good-natured and innocent-minded as he seems, and as loyal as he was throughout the march to Dragonspear, I still have some sense of unease about his unpreditability. Dynaheir, also loyal and seemingly goodhearted, was always secretive in her motives. This witch, a visitor from another land with another purpose, was always a bit strange to me--Minsc said he saw Dynaheir die, is this even true? He can be delusional. Does Dynaheir have something to do with this? This may just be my anti-mage proclivities.

Rebuffed Yoshimo, Jaheira didn't really trust him and that was enough for me. Also, found Khalid dead and desecrated...no good. Jaheira and Imoen have been greatly affected, and I know I will want to bring some type of justice for Dynaheir (reluctantly) and now definitely Khalid.

[Day 1]

I'm in Athkatla, and Imoen has been taken away by the Cowled Wizards. Wow, a lot to digest. Jaheira says we should lay low in the slums, so that's probably where I will head next.

d4829pa2crbj.png

Just met Gaelan Bayle. I wasn't super trusting of him, but this whole thing has been a whirlwind so who knows. I need to start figuring out what's going on and try to get some solid footing here in Athkatla. I want desperately the help Imoen, but I can't necessarily blame the Cowled Wizards themselves. They seem to be providing a necessary service by keeping an eye on all evil magic users. But it is cruel to think I would never see her again for her minor provocation--Gaelan might indeed be the only way to get the information I need, but I don't trust that at all at this point. I will at some point have to confront Irenicus too, it seems. What a twisted villain.

I heard the Shadow Thieves are based in the Docks, so I will have to check that out sooner than later. THEY were apparently the ones fighting Irenicus. Beyond that, thieves generally dabble in useful information and have their finger on the pulse of the city, so I want to make as good impression as I can. I'll just be sure to steer clear of the more evil and cruel ones if possible...

Also have heard from some townsfolk that Cowled Wizards might be in the Govt. District, makes sense to try to talk to them if I'm there.

Met the following folk at the Copper Coronet once I made my way there:

-Yoshimo. So it does appear he is just a bounty hunter. He seems to know Athkatla well...and although I rebuffed him due to distrust at first, it does indeed looks like he's not especially nefarious, in fact closer to gregarious. I invited him to join me, thinking it would be useful to have a second thief as I continue to become more well-rounded in my own thief skills.

-Nalia. Heard her plea but decided not to help. She rubbed me the wrong way, not a woman of the community although she styles herself as one...and I have no reason to be leaving the city anytime soon. At some point I should probably travel to the Windspear Hills to help the dryads I promised...but that seems a long way from now.

-Korgan. It's a promising mission, but a little too soon before I go running off to fight undead and recover cursed scripts. Need to still get my wits about me.

-Hexxat. With her seemingly being very desperate and sick [and the random dialog options available], I ended up adding her to the group to see if there was a way I could quickly help this poor girl, obviously struggling.

-Lord Jierdan. Didn't necessarily want to leave town just yet either, but eventually I will need gold, so we'll see.

-Anomen. I joked with him that I was a coward through and through. He didn't get it and sent me along my way...ha, I didn't really like him anyway.

[Day 2]

Early morning. I'm going to head to talk to the Shadow Thieves, I believe I'll be able to get some major info about Athkatla there. I also somehow have three thieves in my group right now: Syrian Ro, Yoshimo, and Hexxat, so that may or may not help? As it happens, Yoshimo is inclined to talk to the Shadow Thieves as well.

I met Renal Bloodscalp and was easily able to ingratiate myself into the Shadow Thieves. I have a quest to spy on Mae'Var, so I'll approach that cautiously. Having a larger city "group" that I now belong to--even as irreputable as the Shadow Thieves--will help me greatly as I navigate this new city. I can always keep my new associates at arm's length if need be.

We accidentally found an unmarked house in the Docks district with a trap on the front door, because Yoshimo had been detecting traps for some unreleated reason [forgot to turn it off]. Suspicious of this, and because the trap could have been dangerous to anyone just walking by on the street, I decided to look into it. Welp, three minotaurs attacked and I find an undead prisoner in a cultish tomb. No thank you! But I may have to come back to this one day, what kind of foul magic is at play here?

We soon parted ways with Hexxat. I'm not sure what weird thing she has going on in her tomb, but I don't need to be part of it on my second day here. I wish her the best, but I absolutely don't need three thieves...

I saved Viconia from the fanatics, but definitely did not want her in the group, realizing all the stares it would bring and knowing we didn't really get along prior. She left to the Graveyard district.

I also met Jan...I helped him dodge some trouble from the city guard, but didn't need him in party.

Talked to Tolgerias in the Council Building and aboslutely hated him...he had no information and would make me promise to do his task before telling me what it was, so I rebuffed him. Classic bastard wizard. I'll try to get information on Imoen from anyone else in the Govt. district! But now it's looking like I'll have to pay Gaelan's fee...

[Days 3-4]

In this time, we smoked out the Bridge District murderer.

I ran into Neera again, who I am friendly with, although would never want her as a companion. She's doing fine, I agree to maybe visit her hidden refuge one day...probably not, though.

I accepted the task of investigating the sewer cult. But before I could start that, I met Dorn in the temple district. It came to blows unfortunately...I was trying to be goodhearted, but he was just too prone to violence and too evil, and he ended up dead.

Also met Garrick but he didn't remember me. What?? That really does sting, but glad to see he's doing alright, at least.

Resting at the Sea Bounty Tavern, waiting for nightfall to rob the Temple of Talos. From drinking at bar, I hear rumor of trouble in tent in Waukeen's Promenade? Sounds eerie and magical--it may gnaw at me a bit before I decide to investigate...in the meantime, it looks like I should see what the trouble is in the sewers with the Eyeless Cult, nothing good could be behind that. Of course, I should check in with Mae'Var sooner than later--he may have been expecting me by now.

[Day 5]

Met Edwin--a Conjurer I detest--at Mae'Var's. He's working for them now I guess. The mission seems to be the murder of a Cowled Wizard...I do not think that's the right move for me at this time, with me still needing the Cowled Wizards on my side, and cold-blooded murder something I'd very much like to avoid. This may be a hard pause for Syrian Ro on this line of quests.

Late, when investigating the circus incident, I ran into Aerie and Quayle. They were both eager for Aerie to join my group...but my history with Quayle is simply that I don't like him, wizards in general I'm suspicious of...and I don't really know her. So I asked her to please hold on joining. There may come a time when I need a mage, but right now the Aerie add doesn't seem right.

[Day 7]

I may have squandered my chance to find evidence on Mae'Var by coming to blows with Edwin the Mage--I won't be able to perform any more tasks for him. In fact, I'll probably end up steering clear of the Docks for a while. It doesn't seem like Mae'Var is going to try to kill me...but he won't speak to me or grant me an audience. I still have use of his Guildhall for now, though, so I'm not necessarily a pariah to the Shadow Thieves.

I tried to track down the man in red who's burying people alive...but I also realized now I may be able to help out Hexxat. She is actually still hanging around the Copper Coronet, so I re-recruit her and finally bring her to the tomb she wants.

Not exactly sure what's going on--I realize there is a "real" Hexxat, who is some kind of vampire murderer. She attacked us and we had to put her down; this whole situation is terrible and I regret getting involved.

At some point too I had learned all about the Five Flagons acting troupe's troubles.

[Days 8-10]

Headed into the sewers for the two-pronged goal of investigating the Cult of the Unseeing Eye and the disappearnace of Haer'Dalis.

We did eventually rescue Haer'Dalis from Mekrath, and met up with him later at Five Flagons.  We journeyed to the planar realm to rescue him there, and eventually added him to the party. I guess I liked Haer'Dalis because he was part of a Theater Troupe, an integral and entertaining piece of the city. Even though he was weird and extraplanar in nature, he was able to ingratiate himself with me by having us work together on a greater, stranger evil. He definitely has a charisma about him and he eventually replaced Yoshimo in our group.

Back in the sewers to infiltrate the cult, I met Keldorn and we joined our forces...he is powerful and respectable, so a valuable addition to our group.

apqwamdwfjk9.png

[Day 12]

Destroyed the Cult of the Beholder cult and now have earned enough money to give to Gaelan for information on Imoen's whereabouts. I also met with the mysterious Bodhi and rejected her offer. Then decided to drop Yoshimo. He wasn't really on board with the Shadow Thief allyship to begin with and his thief skills are honestly extraneous at this point. We were able to part ways somewhate amicably.

[Day 14]

It looks like my only next step is to attack the vampire nest. This seems like an outrageous task and I must become better prepared! I can't let this nest linger here for too long--it's terrifying to think about--but I need to make sure we are prepared so we don't get slaughtered by the creatures. Regardless of whether I trust Aran to deliver Imoen (I'm staring to lose faith...), I know this vampire threat will need to be dealt with as it's a major threat to the city regardless.

I wanted to take care of any lingering quests I had in the city. So I freed the slaves from the Coronet--if I'm being taken advantage of by the Shadow Thieves, I want to destroy a revenue stream without directly attacking them. And this is long overdue, as well.

I also have the money to afford a magic license, and with Haer'Dalis in tow, it's probably a good idea so as not to distrub the Cowled Wizards. Then? I may finally venture out to the Windspear Hills. If Im truly going to confront Irenicus soon, I should settle all my debts with potential allies. I have yet to venture outside the city gates in the weeks I've been here.

[Day 16]

My major impetus for heading out is to make good on my word to return acorns to dryads in the Windspear Hills. I do it begrudgingly, admittedly--I much prefer the urban areas. But it's time I explore the wider Amnish community. Hesitancy and anxiousness to face the dark magic that is the vampire hive is also a reason I'm delaying, I suspect. Either way, we definitely need to power up more, first.

[Day 17]

Encountered Rasaad in Trademeet. Spoke to him about his quest, but no desire to join him or get involved.

[Day 18]

I initially backed off from helping with the Druid Grove problems (let me fix the problem in Athkatla first, I thought)...but since I have a clear direction, dark magic is at play, and I had the night to think about it, I figured it was the right thing to do to journey out to see if I could help.

[Day 20]

Saved Trademeet and gained a heroic reputation. Minsc keeps pushing to go to Imnesvale so I may do that soon, too, prior to Windspear. I'll see if there's anything I can do to quickly help out that village, to appease Minsc.

[Day 21]

I met Valygar Corthala in the Umar Hills. While I personally would do no harm to him and expected that the Cowled Wizards may be up to nefarious purposes, I do not wish to completely oppose or anger them at this point, either. I chose not to get involved in his quest. Valygar said he could not proceed without aid and was returing to Athkatla for the time being.

Headed out to the Temple area the same morning I arrived in Imnesvale. Hoping to resolve this issue quickly for them.

Evening comes while we are in the Shade Lord dungeon. We just freed Mazzy and added her to the group. We are now at 6 people again--myself, Jaheira, Minsc, Keldorn, Haer'Dalis and now Mazzy. I like her--she seems responsible, community-oriented, but also upbeat. A good contrast to Keldorn, who has been getting on my nerves with his solemn demeanor and his loner streak. Also I've been shook from him having his wife rot in a dungeon for adultery.

[Day 26]

Conquered the Shade Lord dungeon (but not the dragon). Then finally went to Windspear and had my dealing with the other dragon Firkraag...but decided to leave it alone once things got resolved. While it appears he is an evil beast, it doesn't look like he's affecting the greater area too much--except of course for Garren Windspear, who actually seems to be more in peace than he was. So I made my return to the city to destroy the vampire nest.

[Day 28]

With the rival vampire guild destroyed, and my ship to Spellhold booked, I had little else to wrap up in Athkatla.

I cut Minsc lose. He's been a loyal companion and friend, but I will theoretically need a spot in my group for Imoen. I feel I have better chemistry with the rest of my group. Minsc is a bit touched, let's be honest. At the end of the day, I prefer more reliable companions. Haer'Dalis, I realize, is very strange too, but I have no other source of arcane magic. Minsc went to stay at the Copper Coronet for the time being, so I will likely see him again in the long run.

iyq2brgcd983.png

Shortly after, we set sail.

[Days 36-38]

I trounced my way through and out of Spellhold, handily beating Bodhi and Irenicus. Although, they have now stolen my immortal soul. My main goal is to get back to Athkatla with the team, lick my wounds, and think about next steps. I did not trust the magical portal--even though my team was warning me against Saemon, that portal itself was a risk and maybe a magical trap. It was a tough choice but I'm glad to be back on the outside in the sunshine--and thankfully it only looks like Saemon is using us to get a ship in a meager revenge ploy--sure, buddy.

Shipwrecked and now in the Sahuagin City. I agreed to hunt down the rebel leader for the King for a passage out of here (although my preference, obviously, was for a peaceful resolution.)

pikojxrmr8xw.png

[Day 40]

In the Underdark. I've thoroughly explored the central cavern and met the Dark Gnomes looking for a way out of here. I'm staying at their inn and pondering my next move. Do I want to try to find my way out by myself, or deal with the Silver Dragon and somehow track Irenicus down through Ust Natha? I hope that is not my only option, although it may be.

I've slept on it and decided I should first try for an exit and take Seamon's advice to try to find Suldanessellar after I make it to the surface. Seems like an awful idea to try to infiltrate Ust Natha and get involved with all the dark Drow magic. Therefore, I will explore the surrounding tunnels first to see if there is an exit. Eastern tunnels first make the most sense, due to where it seems I am on the map. It's nice I have a home base in the Dark Gnome enclave--I'm thinking I should help him with his problem at some point.

esxcpv12sz6a.png

This is my current party:

Syrian Ro (Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 18 Thief) (Pixie's Prick and the Grave Binder)
    Keldorn (Level 14 Inquisitor)
    Jaheira (Level 12 Fighter/Level 13 Druid)
    Mazzy (Level 16 Fighter)
    Haer'Dalis (Level 18 Blade)
    Imoen (Level 7 Thief>Level 14 Mage)

mst3b86q0aio.png
    edited June 2021
    [Day 40 Continued]

5PM. The Svirfneblin have been seemingly hospitable, but I still want to get out of this damn place as quickly as possible and start trying to regain mine and Imoen's soul. Who knows what motivations these deep gnomes truly have... After resting for the better part of the day, we head out to the Eastern tunnels--the direction of the mainland, possibly?

7PM. Nope, not at all! We stumbled upon a Mind Flayer labyrinth.

lk7cr5d5vutj.png

c2al624gg0lh.png

[Note: During the pit fight with the Githyanki, I forgot you had to wait until you get the Githyanki dialogue before opening the door (i.e. until they actually start telepathically fighting the illithids)...I had my PC run to the east door first thing, lockpick, and open...and insta-death. So a reload here.]

11PM. I trusted the Githyanki to work together with us to escape--instead, they betrayed us. I should have seen it coming from these creatures, but I thought it could work at the time. Hopefully I'll still be able to escape, and help free the human slaves at the same time.

s6nfnmbzp28v.png

[Note: Once Jaheira ran out of her Chaotic Commands, I kind of had to figure out how to approach Mind Flayers; I don't thinking resting at this point is super appropriate from an RP standpoint. Jaheira has the Shield of Harmony, so I'd been having her take the psionic blasts, but she's vulnerable to the stun and died/got resurrected twice now. Keldorn is an Inquistor but I'm not sure if his immunity to Hold and Charm works against Mind Flayers. Mazzy has the Sword of Arvoreen (stun protection) and the Helm of Charm Protection. I had exactly one Potion of Clarity, so trying to hang onto it.]

[Day 41]

2AM. Mazzy became my point person against the legion of Mind Flayers, Ulitahrids, and Umber Hulks that plague this evil city. With the Sword of Arvoreen, she was immune to being stunned. Between the Helmet of Charm Protection and her incredibly low saving throws, she was able to take all the mind magic that was thrown at her. The rest of our group followed behind her to quickly mop up and step in when another of us had our "brains devoured". Haer'Dalis had to use Methild's Harp once or twice to remove a stun from other party members, but Mazzy remained the most valuable. We eventually slew the Master Brain, and a little shell shocked, we headed back to the Svirfneblin village to rest.

I ran into the Githyanki who betrayed me on the outside. I gave them back their damn silver blade; this small thing is worth all this trouble for them? It seems we have a truce as is...

0u2jb36yf2s9.png

11AM. After resting, I realized that these deep gnomes must be some of the better-hearted folk down here; a stark contrast from the attack-on-sight Drow and the Mind Flayer kidnapping I had gotten into last night. I think it's the right thing to do to help them out with their problem in the depths; I'll keep looking for my exit afterwards.

12PM. Defeated the Balor in the pits. Among our entire party, only I carried a +3 weapon in the Pixie Prick. With a cast of Haste, I was able to do enough damage to the creature before it could slay any of us. It even went unconscious a couple times! The Pixie Prick is awesome, despite its terrible name. I apparently can now attempt to meet the Silver Dragon who can guide me from the Underdark...well, being a little hesitant to get involved in all that, I'm still going to see if I can find my own way out--the southern tunnels this time.

kw858tplftd0.png

4PM. The southern tunnels turned out to be more of a similar nightmare; the Beholder tunnels. Mazzy again was the point person--Jaheira has been wearing the Cloak of Mirroring, but I put it on the back of Mazzy and sent her solo to painstakingly fight most of the Beholders. She was able to do higher damage output with her dual short swords than Jaheira could have with Gnasher, and she ended up fighting almost a dozen of the monsters at once as they all come flooding in.

bic2uabwjknd.png

[Note: This was a little sloppy and crazy, but the Cloak of Mirroring obviously does most of the work. I had to keep clicking on who I wanted her to attack, since she would lose her aggro a few times a second due to stuns or whatever (v. annoying). My first go-round in the southeast portion, Mazzy got Imprisoned by an Elder Orb that I didn't realized had joined the fight...and the rest of my party was unprepared and got stomped by the very large herd of eye tyrants once Mazzy disappeared. So a reload here. Next time, same strategy (basically just Mazzy) but this time I had her cut down the Elder Orb as soon as it appeared and had the rest of my party farther away.]

Unfortunately--doesn't look like I can escape the Underdark from this direction either. My options are thinning...

[Day 42]

1PM. After exhausting all my potential routes out--including the western tunnels, some Kuo-toa and drow confrontrations, and a magically warded door--it looks like I'll have to pay my respects to this Adalon. I rested again with the gnomes and then made my way to the dragon.

q4uziekymwns.png

I have encountered Adalon and agreed--rather involuntarily it seems--to adopt her illusion magic and infiltrate the drow city. I am to recover her eggs, which Irenicus and Bodhi stole. It looks like there is no other way for me here, other than to do what the dragon asks and pray she keeps her word. I will try to blend in and accomplish what I need to in Ust Natha as quickly as possible...this is really a "deep cover" mission.

au5sahlalqxb.png

ofm3ioiodw69.png

2PM. I've infiltrated Ust Natha as "Veldrin" from Ched Nasad. I am to apparently ambush some Mind Flayers in about 12 hours--this gives me some time to scout around the city in search of eggs; I don't need to shut my eyes for rest just yet, so I may push through and stay wary while I'm in here.

3PM. After looking through a sparse Male Fighters Society, I went to the Temple of Lloth...I didn't confirm any dragon eggs were present, but I did see a large room with "egg guard" sentries. Hmm, that really does lead to the conclusion that Adalon's eggs are likely here. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I can get access. I'll continue to lay low in the city and see what I can learn.

icnojybs64uj.png

5PM. After a few more hours of asking around, I realized I wouldn't be able to get too much more info about the eggs; whatever small things were told to me didn't contradict what I saw with my own eyes, thankfully. I will head out of Ust Natha now and complete my task for the Handmaiden outside the Illithid city, hoping to somehow get inside that Temple sanctuary eventually.

6PM. Speaking to the escaped Githyanki again--in an effort to get information on the anticipated Mind Flayer caravan--they seemed to forget I had already given them the Silver Blade the day before, and were extremely hostile about it. There was nothing we could do but fight...and take possession of the Silver Blade again, it seems.

btdb7uu5xcix.png

7PM. I'm in good graces with the Ust Natha drow after rescuing Phaere...but unluckily, as I return to the city, I'm compelled to speak to some type of "Aboleth"--a telepath in a large fluid tank. He knows I'm a surfacer--damn!--and wants me to kill a certain Qilue. I'm not sure what I should do here. I certainly cannot be found out, as Aboleth threatens. I guess I'll go to Qilue and see what comes of it, if I can avoid the cold-blooded murder.

8PM. Before I could speak a word to her, she attacked me on sight. Very well, then. I took Qilue's brain and returned to Aboleth. Hopefully I stay out of this creature's attention from here on out. Awful.

8p0t3mxuxxka.png

Returning to the tavern to meet Phaere, I'm encouraged to see I have something of an "ally" or patron here. While I can't yet gain information on how to access the eggs...this is a promising start.

qbq134bhv2t4.png

03g3ba6a8vs6.png

9PM. I spent some time in the evening competing in their fighting pits. I do think my fighting prowess has been what's ingratiated me to the nobles here, so I may continue to show my feats of strength. I also enjoy a bit of favor gaining with the locals and being able to blend in, and I've been getting better about keeping a cold and mean exterior.

7rvhxkba94lr.png

hyxlshmfpsdt.png

[Day 43]

2PM. I stayed in the tavern until afternoon of the next day, then went to provide more and more service to Phaere...hopefully this is going somewhere, after slaying another Beholder who infiltrated the city. And I keep being told I can roam the city for days at a time; I'd much rather get this nastiness over with as soon as possible. However, so as not to arouse suspicious, I laid low in our own quarters in the tavern for about another day.

6jgfd9cw8a5g.png

[Day 45]

12AM. Instead of killing Solaufein per Phaere's orders, I took a risk and attempted to ally with him for information on the eggs. He provided nothing exceptionally useful, other than Mother Ardulace may be the key to getting the eggs back. Either way, he did not betray me and slipped off, and might be an ally in the future.

v1lajduibpj1.png

Under pressure, I slept with Phaere--Jaheira was not happy about it, but she understood there was some heavy coercion involved, and some necessity. It was not an entirely pleasant situation, but in the moment I saw no other way.

ez5xflc4bvfv.png

pmh2qciwyhg4.png

2AM. Not long after, I was brought into what looked to be the endgame task: get the real dragon eggs, and switch them out with fake ones. Unfortunately, all hell broke loose. I thought the swap would be foolproof, but it wasn't. Leaving the "treasury" chamber, I did not hide in shadows--I couldn't, I was in there alone with six golems and I wanted to get OUT. The egg guards immediately knew what I was up to, and the city went into alarm mode. I had to kill all the drow in the Temple, including Mother Ardulace; and now, with Adalon's eggs, I'm going to try to fight my way out of this damn city...

qssmogmv08pd.png

5AM. We hit some resistance on our way out of Ust Natha, but eventually returned the eggs to Adalon, and she showed us the way to the surface through previously sealed doors. I surfaced in the early hours of the morning before the sun had risen and spoke with Elhan of Suldanessellar. It looks like I will have to find an ancient relic--the Rhynn Lanthorn, currently in Bodhi's possession we believe--to have any hope of catching up with Irenicus, retrieving my soul, and stopping whatever mad plans he may have. And this will all have to be done against the backdrop of an Elven war. Ugh...

76spl6b311y4.png

du29d5p1ze9p.png

c81hpgk4kdyc.png

Elhan suggests I gather what allies I can for the coming trials ahead. Something to think on...and he went on to suggest visiting those who I've had dealings with in the past. I tend to agree with what he's saying. But who--Aran's Thieves' Guild? The towns of Trademeet or Imnesvale? The Radiant Heart? Even the Cowled Wizards?! I shudder to think of it. (There's also the Temple of Helm that I botched an artist mission for, and I may have friends with Neera and her Wild Mage clan, but they bring along all their own dangers...).

Coincidentally, a family member of Mazzy also finds us a few minutes after we encounter the surface elves. Hmm, maybe a pirate from Brynnlaw mistakenly told him that we took a portal from Spellhold that leads to the Underdark...and then through his own searching, he had learned of this particular entrance to the Underdark, and hoped we would spill out along with the drow? Either way, it worked...and Mazzy's sister may be dying. A lot to process all at once--but it's the least I can do to go to Trademeet right away so Mazzy can be with her family. I initially wanted to get back to Athkatla as soon as possible, but this gives me a chance to think some bigger things through.

lss7wqfqjc43.png

4jnv3v3src1c.png

11PM. I made it to Trademeet slightly before midnight. I cut through the Small Teeth Pass, and it actually halved the amout of time traveling it would have been otherwise. And even better, I ran into Drizzt Do'Urden going this way. Last time we met, it was long ago on the Sword Coast. He gave me some sage advice about the Iron Throne and I've remembered it since! I was able to enlist his help when it's time to face Bodhi again, who's apparently returned to her lair underneath Athkatla.

inzb5dhfrbgw.png

[Day 47]

10AM. We had a restful day in Trademeet as Mazzy waited with her family for her sister to recover (we helped her fine the cure from the corruped cleric of Waukeen). We recovered from our Spellhold-and-Underdark misadventure and I began to plan out our next steps. Back to Athkatla first, for sure. I'll have to see how the city's fared. I want to check in with the Thieves as I've said, as well as my normal places in the city to hear of any news (the Coronet, the Promenade, Five Flagons, etc.). I also want to pay a visit to the Temples and the Paladins, and then finally to the Govt. district to approach the officials there. I guess we'll see what else shakes out before we shove back in to the Vampire's nest...

6naixpufx1vp.png

[Day 48]

4AM. I returned to Athkatla and headed straightaway to the Five Flagons to rest until daytime. I encountered another bumbling Githyanki, looking for that damn Silver Blade. Again, I handed it over, suprisingly sparing some bloodshed (I really thought we would come to blows...).

amn8jvsgzr4g.png

I also parted ways with Haer'Dalis, and he'll be biding his time right there in the Five Flagons. Now that my good friend Imoen is back, I really don't need or want two spellcasters, and the group size is becoming unwieldy. Haer'Dalis was a quirky fellow for sure but gained my trust over time--but I will face these final challenges without him. I could not think to leave Imoen alone at this point, with her immortal soul missing...

s0fmo65a2oah.png

[Note: Truth be told, this group of 5 stills feels too large. Ideally I would cut either Keldorn or Mazzy from a gameplay perspective, but I don't think my character could actually bring himself to do that at this point. In a few weeks, both of them have become good, loyal friends and Syrian Ro would rather have MORE people around to lean on than FEWER, and I couldn't see him parting with anyone else at this point, especially not Mazzy after her family troubles. Once TOB and HLAs come, of course then the situation may be different...]

[Day 49]

4PM. I spent most of the night and next day combing through my stash, visiting merchants to find newly affordable wares, and re-equipping my party. Stayed at the Five Flagons the first night, but then stayed at Cromwell's for the next day. Sparing the details, the big upgrades include I now wear Aeger's Hide and use the Shortbow of Gesen, and Imoen can now cast Improved Haste, Protection from Magical Weapons...and Slow.

[Note: A general rule of thumb for me in these playthroughs is that I just spend gold at merchants for equipment for CHARNAME only. especially big-ticket items; the rest of the NPCs will mostly get found loot and hand-me-downs. It's not a blanket restriction, but it's just a habit I've fallen into, mainly due to inventory tedium, my focus on fully maximizing my PC over other companions (since they may be transient), and to keep things interesting in general I guess. E.g. no Robe of Vecna unless my PC will be wearing it.]

wz6qu4mq6ftb.png

v8acweeqzaqo.png

twv4feakn3i8.png

[Day 50]

10AM. Another night at the Five Flagons. Now, settled in the city for a couple days and having time to gather my thoughts, I'm going to start reaching out to the "other groups" I've had business with per Elhan's suggestion--see how many more allies I can gather before the inevitable showdown against Bodhi and Irenicus. At a minimum I'll try the Temples, the Radiant Heart, the Govt. District, and the Thieves...

n5pmn91h5kz7.png

11AM. As I head to the Docks, I pass by the Planar Sphere and get bothered by the foul magic that's still lingering here...clearly the Cowled Wizards and/or Valygar were not able to resolve the problem in all this time, and there is still very likely an ancient, evil wizard inside (or worse). Maybe infiltrating this sphere can win me an allyship with the Cowled Wizards? No doubt they have a score to settle with Irenicus. There may even be items inside that can help in my fight against Bodhi...It's a major loose end and threat to the city in any case. Hmmm...I'll see if I can speak to Tolgerias more about it, or Valygar.

My current and possibly final SOA party is:

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 20 Thief (Pixie Prick and Boneblade; Shortbow of Gesen)
    Keldorn - Level 16 Inquisitor
    Mazzy - Level 18 Fighter
    Jaheira - Level 13 Fighter/Level 13 Druid
    Imoen - Level 7 Thief>Level 15 Mage

0d8r6c2x4bbv.png
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A couple technical notes ...

Illithids: Their mind blast is a Stun effect. Only Chaotic Commands and Mazzy's Sword of Arvoreen protect against that. The alternative is to boost your spell save to unbeatable levels; 1 against mind flayers, -3 against ulitharids.
    All of the psionic status effects can be defeated by Chaotic Commands or sufficiently strong spell saves.

The egg guards: Opening the door breaks stealth. If the door is open and they see the PC, they're alerted (and they get a line). At that point, you have about a round and a half to kill them, or they'll wake the whole city against you. Stealth isn't really an option, despite what the quest says. Fortunately, the egg guards have very low HP despite having the saves and THAC0 of level 11 fighters.
    Oh thank you very much. I appreciate the clarification. I always confuse myself and think immunity to hold should work for stun too...but it never does. One day I'll remember. (I also had brine solutions which I never even looked at, thought they were quest items or something).

As far as the egg guards...I almost always aggro Ust Natha either here or at some point before here. I can barely remember when I got all the way to the ritual, and definitely don't remember the circumstances of the egg swap.

I guess if you really wanted to avoid killing the guards, you can pop an invisiblity potion after each door action? Or maybe they aggro too fast.

edited June 2021
    [Day 50 Continued]

11AM. I decided to take Kundane from Mazzy and use it in my offhand--she'll use Arbane's Sword in her offhand now for additional protections, so no big deal.

[I crunched the numbers. It's about 12% higher DPS with Kundane in the offhand vs. a +4 dagger, as should have been expected. Combined with the fact my main hand has a proc, don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I'm a GM in daggers but still have 1 proficiency point in short sword from my days as a single class thief; even without the point it would still be better to use Kundane, but I generally don't even consider using weapons that I have 0 proficiency in.]

As far as other lingering issues...I'm still thinking about Nalia's plight, she seems to be in desperate straits, getting no help from anyone in this giant city after all this time. There is too much with me here in Athkatla to settle first...but then I may very well see if I can help her eventually, but it's a long way between now and then.

I went to see Renal, but he was still going on about Mae'Var...oy, thought I put that all behind me.

Aran, on the other hand, has definitely moved on to other things. I didn't quite blame him for my predicament with Saemon Havarian, but as he went on about it, he seemed somehow guilty? Maybe my imagination. Either way, not only was he aware of Bodhi's return to Athkatla, he intends to send Shadow Thief assassins down into her lair to help me when I decide to confront her.

2rqiqn21yauy.png

12PM. With the Planar Sphere on my mind, I visited Valygar's nearby house, hoping to see that he had returned from the Umar Hills from when I last saw him all those weeks ago. Indeed--he was there. I wasn't quite ready to just jump right into the Sphere...want to talk to whatever other Cowled Wizards I know first.

1PM. Tolgerias wasn't at the Council building, and the rest of the officials weren't any help, either about the planar sphere or Bodhi returned.

a51xkz6lp4ut.png

I insisted to Keldorn that we should visit his Estate and his family. But I ended up majorly regretting that; it's still a very ugly situation with his daughters. Yikes...

phmjwgskp60p.png

2PM. Next stop: the Temples. The priests of Helm and Lathander didn't want to get much involved, but directed me to the Order of the Radiant Heart...they too, it seems, will provide assistance when it's time to crush Bodhi. But still that planar sphere lingers...

e1384ozkcvab.png

qwan2i4bphlj.png

I eventually headed back to the Docks for the day. Popped into Mae'Var's--maybe I was thinking to attempt to mend differences after all this time? But looks like my past misdeeds are still too much...feeling unwelcome there. I'm also walking around with a Paladin and a Harper, so I guess it makes sense.

[Day 51]

3PM. I stayed at Cromwell's again for the past day--helping him forge for us the Equalizer. During this time I decided we are going to enter the Planar Sphere as soon as we're done. Maybe it will lead to some magical artifiact, or secret knowledge, or powerful allies--the Cowled Wizards?--to help me defeat Bodhi and Irenicus? Or maybe it won't. But either way, this foul presence here in the heart of the city needs to be resolved one way or another. Looks like the job falls to us.

4PM. I told Valygar we were ready to go; he walked with us to the sphere, and indeed he was right that his presence alone gained us access. Once inside the first chamber, I thought it best to leave Valygar there. He seems to be an agreeable guy, but I barely know him, and who knows what other things in here that his blood may "activate"? He'll wait back for now in the entry chamber...

4z7mih5fql7t.png

[Day 53]

11PM. As a recap: I battled my way through Lavok's sphere and escaped. It ended up being more of an extended stay than I originally anticipated, and I rested once in the chambers of the Knights of Solamnia. Our trials to escape were spine-tingling: including having to venture outside of the planar sphere itself when we weren't even on the material plane. But we retrieved the tanar'ri heart, and used Lavok's instructions to get us back.

cqpoqeketnfb.png

u0vu53e269ma.png

qccjc768dk2i.png

yaamg50ueo3b.png

I initially did not want to trust the necromancer, but realized I would have to listen to him to get out of there. At the end, though, I did NOT keep up my end of the bargain to take him outside the sphere--I just thought it too much of a danger and risk, who knows what other evil plans he may have had?

pdjd5xl0tp1c.png

Tolgerias too must had previously found his own way in, or somehow snuck in behind us while we were busy elsewhere. As opposed to working together (ha!), he and his mage lackeys immediately attacked me without so much as a greeting.

Overall, I was perturbed by the events involving the sphere, and disappointed some great allyship or key to defeating Bodhi and Irenicus did not reveal itself. However, I did retrieve some somewhat powerful magical items, and looks like whatever evil may have been plotting to run rampant in Athkatla was stopped for now. Good.

uceiq2u19cge.png

After getting back out on the streets, we took care of some errands then rested in the Five Flagons, now finally preparing to do what we must: confront Bodhi. after gathering all the allies we could think of. We ventured to the Graveyard district right before midnight...

z9rsmvodanz6.png

[Note: Thinking it would make sense to try to slip by this fight, I ended up avoiding it altogether, which I didn't think was going to happen. Huh.]

[Day 54]

4AM. Overnight, we slew all the returned vampires, including Bodhi, and retrieved the Rhynn Lanthorn from that foul place. Imoen's soul was restored...a big relief.

A Vhailor simulacrum of Keldorn cast two "free" Protection from Undead scrolls on real Keldorn and myself, and with Jaheira wearing an amulet that gives her immunity to level drain, the vampires didn't stand a chance. I also had many allies at my side in Drizzt, the Radiant Heart, and the Shadow Thieves.

yub6p2sqvuk1.png

zf3h4gdgyvup.png

0hc6tonyaqnt.png

2PM. Rested again into the afternoon and spent the morning analyzing my situation. My soul is still not with me; I'm apparently just some shell, walking around like a talking corpse? Imoen may be alright now, but the whole situation is still terrifying for me, even if I don't yet have terrible physical symptoms. Irenicus is in Suldanessallar engaged in a bloody feud with the elves there--and there's nothing to do but to track him down, unfortunately. I will head back out to Elhan to present him the Lanthorn.

uec53g90rolp.png

Chapter 7

[Day 55]

5AM. Overnight, we made the journey with Elhan to Suldanessallar and almost immediately started battling golems, rakshasas, and more of Irenicus's legions. I was informed that either the High Priestess Demin or Queens Ellesime would be the best chance to figure out how to defeat this evil...seeing a back route to the "Palace" I decided to make a push to the Queens first--assuming she resided there. When it was locked, I went to the Temple. Instead, there were no elves, but just servents of Irenicus, speaking about some dark imminent ritual....of course.

jo9l8ny2m4a7.png

o7xm5mfprrwk.png

7AM. I found Priestess Demin, and she finally explained the real circumstances behind the evil of Irenicus and Bodhi. A tragedy of the elves' own making: twisting magic and the divine for punishment and revenge...Nevertheless, I was taken with her cause, to rid this beautiful city of the evil of Irenicus. But she required a task of me before I could find Ellesime in the Palace...for some reason, I grew very suspicious, but I guess that's what I can expect from elves. It looks like I have no other way but to help these folks, as usual.

yg93ws5llv3f.png

[Day 56]

7AM. Throughout the course of the day and in to the night, I destroyed the Shadow Dragon, saved Suldanessellar, restored the Tree of Life, and killed Irenicus. Very unfortunately, and through mysterious, mystical circumstances...my party and I were dragged into Hell. I don't know what this means, or what I'm supposed to do--there must be some way to FINISH this, to escape somehow? This can't be our fate?

78haoveir866.png

mxeu159lb47b.png

dqwgdpsz2ctg.png

[Day 57]

1AM. With the very sane notion that I just wanted to get the Tears and the get out of Hell as quickly as possible...I did show mercy to the creatures that I was able to, and I refused giving in to whatever evil temptations were offered me; although I almost reluctantly chose to battle the Pride "creature" before thinking better of it and inquiring why in fact it deserved slaying. Now, the five of us, we go to face Irenicus....

1xe2l5rn4l6l.png

iznu2x4eh3mg.png

oqzdivj1pj5e.png

9f184sa3smqk.png

rpe7ebqbf9bn.png

bbs7tdzscng0.png

7AM. We defeated Irenicus and brought ourselves back to the world of the living, with my soul fully intact if a little worse for wear.

y85eehx2h2b6.png

xde3x21u7h73.png

[Note: Fairly solidly-handled battle. My warriors all have Whirldwind (though not GWW), but I ended up not using any HLAs anyway. I pre-buffed with Keldorn's PfE and Imoen's 2 casts of Improved Haste (among some others). I have a lot of tanks so we actually cut the summoned demons down very quickly. Once we were to focus on the Slayer alone, wasn't a challenge either--straightforward spell and combat protection-disabling from Imoen combined with PC's Shortbow of Gesen which was keeping up a nice miscast magic penalty.]

It was an intense experience. The elves threw together a ceremony for us for saving their city...thanks, I guess. I'm just glad we could resolve this madness. Standing with my party in the Forest of Tethyr, I'm not sure what direction the winds will take us next--maybe back to Athkatla, to help Nalia? Or should I start thinking about a return to the Baldur's Gate region?

My party for the final BG2 battle:

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 23 Thief (Pixie Prick and Kundane; Shortbow of Gesen)
    Keldorn - Level 18 Inquisitor
    Mazzy - Level 20 Fighter
    Jaheira - Level 14 Fighter/Level 14 Druid
    Imoen - Level 7 Thief>Level 17 Mage

[Note: So...PC had about 3.14m xp at end of SOA. Both the Shadow Dragon and Firkraag are still standing, and I never even got the De'Arnise Hold on my world map. Didn't do the fighter OR thief stronghold quests either. I did the large majority of the Athkatla quests, but never fought a lich. Shrug--guess that's a risk you take when the PC is good-natured and slightly nervous about things.]

TOB

Chapter 8

9AM. Shortly after leaving the Elven city, I became trapped in the Pocket Plane of my own design. I finally give in to Sarevok and provide him a way to become flesh and blood once again. I'm very uncomfortable with this, but we had no other option if we wanted to get out of here. He ports away, and I have no idea what ruckus he may bring to Faerun down the road. Did I truly have no choice here? Maybe I should have kept him under my nose, but the thought of trusting him in the heat of battle was a bridge too far for me, and he teleported away too quickly before I could protest.

trk6ezbaiytm.png

2qnbnnd94vnu.png

731epehllrfd.png

10AM. I am dumped off into a city full of Bhaalspawn under brutal siege: Saradush. It's a flood of information from a new acquainance, Melissan. She is some type of scholar and self-styled guardian of Bhaalspawn? Hmm, suspicious to say the least. But before I can wrap my head around any of that, the big question: Why am I even here? My subconscious divine soul has guided me to Saradush. As much as I hate to admit it, it's true that I can't keep running from my heritage forever. There is something dark and murderous in me, as awful as it is to say, and I can no longer keep pushing off my fate in this world. I'm not sure what to do, but it looks like I must begin here with the other Bhaalspawn of the world.

zq7cf94soup2.png

I made my way around the town for a few hours, meeting the locals and trying to get an understanding about the situation. Fire bombs exploding next to us periodically make it an especially anxious activity. Right now it looks like Melissan is right, and the only way to save the town is through its despot, Gromnir. I'll get my bearings, then we'll do what we can.

yzufq8m1btwz.png

55gnflvo3prz.png

ji32vpkwm1fm.png

[Day 58]

5AM. Rested in the tavern until the next day, got Lazarus's spellbook back for him (without spilling blood thankfully), and made a quick return journey to my Pocket Plane to have Cespenar forge me Aslyferund Elven Chain.

Time now to really get involved. I've learned there may be passage into the palace underneath the city, but that route may be long corruped by some evil.

My current party is...(same as right above, I guess):

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 23 Thief (Pixie Prick and Kundane; Shortbow of Gesen)
    Keldorn - Level 18 Inquisitor
    Mazzy - Level 20 Fighter
    Imoen - Level 7 Thief>Level 17 Mage

jx1812qrlmu1.png
    [Day 58 Continued]

6AM. I decided we'd first check in Gromnir's Barracks on the west of town, to see if there were any soldiers who we could convince to help us with the Gromnir situation. Unfortunately, they were just looking for a fight, and attacked us after we didn't quite leave in the "five seconds" their Orog commander gave us. It turned to bloodshed very quickly; after the fight, figured it was smartest to try to get to Gromnir as quickly as possible before the whole siutation explodes (more than it already has).

w6f5t09o1x2w.png

[Had to use a Knock scroll at some point (I think the jail), and I only had one on me. So another errand now to buy some more. Losing that point of Dex in the Trials of Hells was very annoying, put my Open Locks down to 88. My understanding is that having 93 in Open Locks is the highest you need to be able to pick any lock eventually, but I forgot to plan on losing DEX and seeing my score slip.]

[Just realized I could have taken off my Elven chain which gave me an open lock penalty...doyyy.]

fhubtzciww82.png

12PM. It was a bloody morning unfortunately, but we fought our way underground to Gromnir. Before we have a chance to even speak to him, he attacks to kill and all we could do is defend ourselves. We were able to scrape by in the battle and claim victory. The winning moment was really Jaheira casting Nature's Beauty and permanently blinding Gromnir, while ainstantly killing one of his mages. Once we took out the rest of his companions and followers (casting Greater Malison at some point), I had Imoen cast Finger of Death on the blind warlord...took two tries to kill him, but better to go out that way than being slashed to death I figured.

v0sozv3451th.png

4cgxkqpjvu28.png

2hr7ua7oc7li.png

c4fh3jcjt0g1.png

This may have been what Melissan wanted? Even though she doesn't admit to it. I don't reeeaaally trust her, and though Gromnir was mad, could he have been on to something about her secretly wanting to have all the Bhaalspawn kill each other? It certainly seems to be going that direction. Although the Priestess of Waukeen, someone who definitely seems like I can trust, only speaks the most highly of Melissan. Maybe she's not that bad? Regardless, at the end of the day I'm here for a reason. The Bhaalspawn are my people; my kin, and I have some responsibility to them. It looks like rallying the city and striking out against Yaga-Shura will have to be what happens...

9ezdc2k9esxx.png

I return to the Tavern to take stock of things. The elves and dwarves remind me that there are sewers underneath Saradush...right! It doesn't seem likely that they can lead to an escape route out of Saradush, but crazier things have happened. I immediately went to investigate. Possibly I can save the people of Saradush without having to get involved with Melissan's games? It's worth a shot now with Gromnir out of the picture.

I actually encountered a large number of soldiers from Yaga-Shura's siege; digging up from under the city, ready to invade imminently? I'm able to stop them, along with a mass of shadow fiends. Good thing I decided to check out what's going on down here!

ow88n55ub39o.png

vh7dtpav934x.png

[Note: Following Gromnir fight, I had 15K experience from my PC getting his first HLA (UAI for a Wizard Slayer...ahhhh, awesome), so I did a liiiiittttle metagaming to see how I could get more experience before going out to the Yaga-Shura quests: hit the sewers. As I was justifying it from an RP perspective, I realized it actually made a lot of sense to check out the sewers; my PC is concerned about safety, and also a little distrustful of Melissan, so is reluctant to go off and fight Yaga-Shura immediately.]

ovysp2v23tix.png

[Day 59]

1AM. We rested in the tavern for the rest of the evening. Overnight I thought about it: In order to stop the suffering here in this town and among my kin, and to break the siege...I will almost definitely have to confront Yaga-Shura as Melissan requests. However reluctant I may feel about it, this is my responsibility and my binding fate. So yes, we will head out east in the daytime. 

Actually took a jaunt to the Pocket Plane in the middle of the night too to look upon the companions I would be able to summon to my side if I desired. And truly, only Minsc and Haer'Dalis would be the ones I would want to take along with me beyond, the ones already at my side. Previously in my advetures, they had been good and loyal friends, but I would not bring them into this mess unless I really needed them.

1PM. For the same reason, I decided to say farewell to Mazzy. Mazzy is great and I have absolute faith in her, but this is a terrible path we walk. I'll only risk the friends I absolutely need to and at this stage, it's too much to have both her and Keldorn in our party [especially with my newly UAI'd Wizard Slayer...since I will be taking the best magical equipment for the PC that he wasn't able to wear previously, diluting out everyone else's gear]. So I decided to take along the Inquisitor over the Fighter. I give Mazzy the freedom to do as she wishes with the rest of her life; she has already done more for me than I can repay...she'll have to hold out in Saradush until the siege ends, but I hope she makes her way back to Trademeet once she's able.

I visited the Militia Headquarters to check in, in order to have Mazzy wait there and assist the defense of the city however she could, until we returned from our quest to find Yaga-Shura's "weakness."

We also helped the militia unwind a scheme by a traitorous merchant, which I guess explained why there were so many of the invaders in the sewers. Either way, I quickly found out Ardis was in Kiser's basement--Kiser confirmed as much. Needing the key to get in there, I drank a Potion of Master Thievery and unsuccessfully attempted to pickpocket Kiser himself [PP was at 100 exactly]--needless to say, after the failed attempt, he was definitely through with our meddling and attacked us with his guards. After the fight was over, I freed the young man Ardis, and then finally said my goodbyes to Mazzy.

g7vlfq1ghzan.png

s5d0o54tgq30.png

d12de3p87o0g.png

[I spent a good amount of time re-gearing and re-memorizing spells for my new 4-person setup, which is maybe why I don't get too far plot-wise in this entry...]

[Day 60]

2PM. After being transported eight hours east of Saradush (it's unfortunate, I would have liked to get eyes on the siege camp, but figured best not to double back), we fought our way through some of Yaga-Shura's troops and made our way to the Forest of Mir.

4yanvhqxqybd.png

[Note: Took this time in the North Forest to have some low-stress fun with my PC with backstab and double movement speed while the rest of my group waited back a ways...]

6PM. I met the evil Bhaalwitch Nyalee; she spun a tale that the reason Yaga-Shura is invincible is because his heart has been physically removed and is bathed in magical fire in his mountain hideaway somewhere. As long as his heart stays alive, the fire giant is invincible. She apparently knows how to destroy the heart if she has hers, first...

I didn't say so much that I trusted her to blindly complete her task--but it does seem my only option is to seek out their hearts and then re-appraise the situation. Maybe there's another way to destroy the heart without handing it over to this lunatic for a dark ritual? Who knows.

ckks98p9a7h5.png

t8e8r0vyoui0.png

nuvj7wbqudgi.png

[Here's a weird interaction between Imoen and Keldorn...]

[Day 61]

9AM. I had found Yaga-Shura's lair in the Marching Mountains after fighting through almost a dozen fire giants (Jaheira was killed once, but quickly resurrected). We had already been beat down from the Temple of Bhaal undead encounters, and once we were safely at the entrance of the lair, we were almost all out of useful spells and special abilities. While it's a little unsettling to sleep somewhere extradimensionally, it was definitely safest to port back to my Pocket Plane and rest and heal there before infiltrating the lair. 

bh275l74w2vw.png

[Note: The fire giant battles kind of made me worry--Jaheira, with her low HP, is probably at a much higher risk of a chunking perma-death than I've realized. That would NOT be good, because I don't really have an NPC healer replacement lined up from an RP perspective. Now that Mazzy has moved on, I'm relying on Jaheira for more front line tanking and meleeing; she usually has on Iron Skins, but when two to three solid hits can permanently kill her, I just need to remember to be extra careful in the thick of combat (she has increased movement speed so no excuse not to run away). I also have her memorize a few casts of Armor of Faith for when I know the enemies will be hitting hard, she's still at 15% absorption but better than nothing.]

My current party:

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 24 Thief (Pixie Prick and Kundane; Shortbow of Gesen)
    Keldorn - Level 19 Inquisitor
    Imoen - Level 7 Thief>Level 18 Mage

[Day 61 Continued]

9AM. The fire giant swarm that was waiting for us on the inside of the temple, complete with a pair of elite fire giants, was tough to handle. I had to duck out once to so Keldorn could be healed--he had been battered to the brink of death--and luckily, the entrance is apparently too narrow for the fire giants to pursue us back outside? When we went back in, now Blessed and with Defensive Harmony, and with Keldorn and Jaheira performing their whirlwind maneuvers, and a very successful Glitterdust cast by Imoen...we were able to slay all the intial giants. What else can be in this temple...?

73isb1nrxtax.png

ruio9iks7saf.png

[Note: I quicksaved after I exited for the first time. However, on my first try back in, it looked like one of us was going to die again so I fled for the exit, but my PC got bashed and killed on the way out.. First reload of TOB so far. Next try, Imoen was able to blind both Elite giants after a few rounds, this gave us some breathing space to cut down the remaining pair of fire giants and then focus on damaging the elite ones with ranged...]

1v6bwn6t5ork.png

2PM. Upon encountering Brenn on the upper level of the Temple, I realized I made a miscalculation. I was almost entirely out of spells and special abilities, but I feared that if I retreated to the Pocket Plane to rest, then they would have time to moven Yaga-Shura's heart to a different location, or bring in a new army of fire giants to defend it, or something like that. I realized eventually I could take the giants down via attrition...backstabbing, running off, and luring them to the doors that they can't squeeze through. I eventually recovered both hearts.

kro0f9ypgsmd.png

6PM. Via Pocket Plane, I return to Saradush. I headed to the tavern to rest after my long expedition into the mountains. I don't want to just give in to whatever dark magic Nyalee has planned...so, with Yaga-Shura's heart, I may go confront him on the battlefield anyway? Maybe try to barter? I'll return his heart if he lifts the siege?

[Day 62]

7PM. I did in fact confront Yaga-Shura. Instead of any kind of rational conversation about his heart, he just attacked to kill immediately...and it appears Nyalee was right, he is truly invincible. Imoen's Breach and Pierce Shield, and Keldorn's Dispel Magic, were all ineffective.

mlrdzh5m5ppc.png

We got pursued from the siege camp for several hours east, and wound up back in the North Forest. So sure, we'll head to the Temple of Bhaal, it appears we have no other option.

9npfnukep0b7.png

[Day 63]

9PM. With Yaga-Shura's heart destroyed, it seems he is now vulnerable. I returned to Saradush to rest and inform the townsfolk, militia, Mazzy, etc. that I'd be launching a major attack on the Siege Camp later that night. I used the Pocket Plane to get myself outside Saradush as I've done many times...however, the closest it can port me is the North Forest. In the eight hours it took us to hike back to outside Saradush (nightfall now)...it looks like the city was sacked. Horrible! I didn't see Mazzy among the ruins and refuguees of the city; I know she is a strong warrior, so hopefully she made it out alive, but wouldn't she have tried to contact us? There is fear of the worst in the back of my mind...and I find out later I can't summon her back to the Pocket Plane...

I assume Yaga-Shura, sensing his invulnerability was gone, re-doubled or re-tripled his efforts and finally just overran the town. He may have also known, via spies or otherwise, that my companions and were not inside of Saradush at the time, so he struck at the right time where he would not have to face us. We go now to confront the Bhaalspawn fire giant...

uv27r5mgmcp4.png

10PM. I have destroyed Yaga-Shura...and it looks like, in fact, he raided the city because he thought I was IN IT, not because he thought I was gone. Yes it appears he has quite the bloodlust for killing Bhaalspawn, and if Melissan is to be believed (big if), he has at least two equally powerful allies down south in Tethyr that will also try to kill me. Sigh...all this to harness this damned taint of Bhaal inside of us, like so many other villains have tried.

mleae9ujuw39.png

But I don't know. I have no doubt there is plenty of Bhaalspawn chaos down there, but do I really need to be involved? Gromnir's words still ring in my ears--Melissan's just trying to get all the Bhaalspawn to kill each other for her own dark purposes. Mazzy, my good friend, may have already been lost for good--how can I live with myself to put others as risk, if I'm not even sure I'll be helping the situation or just adding more chaos...?

We leave the ruins of Saradush and port to the Pocket Plane to rest, and I go through another Solar challenge--difficult, but we manage to come through unscathed.

g7teg1l0m31c.png

[Day 64]

4PM. After resting again, I tell myself I want to travel back up north first, still hoping maybe to make right in Baldur's Gate and subconsciously avoid what's going on down in Tethyr? After the fallout from Dragonspear, I had a very bad ending with Corwin which I regret. But I know all the Dukes were on my side (except Silvershield, obviously), and now with everything I know about Irenicus, I may be able to explain myself?...but I worry still it may be a bridge too far.

As far as Athkatla, I left most things on good terms there...but I also fear I will not be welcomed there as a Bhaalspawn, with everything going on in the world right now. But only one way to find out; go there and see. In any case, leaving the Saradush region will give time for the situation down south with Melissan and the others to play out.

The dungeon of Watcher's Keep in southern Amn was relatively closeby, and mostly on our way. I was always quite curious about the eerie rumblings I've heard about it, so we stopped by on our journey north--and indeed, I was drawn into the Helmites' mission at Watcher's Keep. This seems like it is urgent business, and both Jaheira and Keldorn seem to agree. Just bolting away without helping would not sit well with me, and there's a good chance I wouldn't be able to shake the worry knowing that some ancient evil may be stirring under our noses... 

And what are the chances some other capable party will just "show up", since others clearly haven't after all this time? It's not like just ANY group of adventurers would be up for this task, and we are uncommonly experienced...I decide to give it a shot, maybe even hoping to gain some goodwill throughout the countryside. After some minor preparation, we head down into the first level..

[Day 65]

12AM. All night, I fought through the monsters and guardians of the first level of Watcher's Keep. Imoen died during the final confrontations with the statues coming to life, but she was easily brought back by a Keldorn simulacrum, holding a copy of our rod of resurrection...

ig6s1zyjqmeo.png

4d8dfe2eip06.png

[Some party interactions...]

zhrz9bete9ta.png

I emerged to let the Knights of the Vigil know of my progress, but they don't seem too interested unless I accomplish the main goal here. Alright, no problem--we let them buy some of our loot, then head back down to the second level, meeting the Chromatic Demon and skeptically listening to his story about how to access the lower reaches. Hopefully there's some way to get down there that doesn't involve releasing him...

koynki4i2eun.png

My current party:

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 27 Thief (Pixie Prick and Kundane; Shortbow of Gesen)
    Keldorn - Level 21 Inquisitor
    Jaheira - Level 15 Fighter/Level 14 Druid
    Imoen - Level 7 Thief>Level 19 Mage

frvp7h975yjh.png
    [Note: Middle-of-Watcher's-Keep update. There aren't too many RP choices as I go down through the levels, but he's my writeup anyway haha.]

[I will say I'm enjoying the late game Wizard Slayer/Thief build. It's true that as long as an enemy PFMW isn't up and your weapon is sufficiently enchanted, for the most part the miscast magic penalty keeps adding through stoneskin, mirror image, elemental immunities, etc.

[Ranged is key for Wizard Slayers, though. As soon as I see an arcane caster, I just start firing with Gesen while Keldorn and maybe Jaheira go position themselves in the melee. If there's more than one caster, I'll alternate targets after a couple hits (this is where Imoen's IH helps me). Basically takes them out of the equation before I run in with melee...and since Keldorn is using Psion's Blade, and Jaheira is using Shield of Harmony, it's very rare that mages do anything truly harmful. Fear/panic is the one that gets through the most, but I have Imoen memorize a few Remove Fears which generally solves that. Just gotta remember to use Chaotic Commands strategically on my PC, although I also have the the Greenstone Amulet and a few potions I can always grab.]

[Day 65 Continued]

7AM. We continued to fight through the morning, clearing out the second level of monsters and demons. We hadn't rested yet since we started plunging into the Keep, so I thought better of attempting to free the Chromatic Demon until we could use our spells and special abilities again. Doesn't look like there's another option to get down further, so we will have to play this monster's Scepter game...

71m74cussja0.png

otchgk562z6e.png

I spent the rest day on top of the Keep itself, making camp with the Knights of the Vigil.

bjsl0ws5gk7c.png

ng0wjjte4r6w.png

6PM. I fought through the third level of the Keep...the opponents in this one were definitely more dangerous than what I've seen so far. There is something strange with magic going on here too; some rooms are complete magical dead zones, and others cause wild surges, even in divine spells (it appears Jaheira's color(s) permanently changed). Ugh...magic, always causing problems...

q52ghqy4r39z.png

udf0s0lhap1g.png

With our Stoneskin and Ironskins gones, and lacking the ability and/or assurance to cast in this section of the Keep, I try to backtrack and make my way for the exit, where I may have a chance to gather my thoughts and plan for a no-magic crawl...but I realize very quickly that the portals we come out of do not necessarily put us back in the same place if we go back in. It's a maze. I try to figure it out a little bit, before checking if I can teleport to my Pocket Plane...and success! We rest for a while in this subdimension before heading back; and I decided I'll start mapping out this maze level.

obeiktylax0d.png

9115ep03kfw7.png

[Note: Reloaded during a demon encounter--this is my second reload in TOB by my count. It was the Slave Wraith/Demon Wraith room. A Prismatic Spray trap or whatever got my PC, insta-death....]

[Day 67]

5AM. More dungeon crawling, and more resting in the Pocket Plane. While trying to navigate the level and reach the surface again, I ran into Aesgareth the gambling cambion, and the apparent portal entrance to the fourth level of this damned place. I thought much better than to gamble with him, but I did learn of some necessary key from him. Is this the Scepter of Radiance that I found mentioned in the journal? And speaking of that journal...there was also some mention of a betrayal by the Knights of the Vigil? That really doesn't sit well...

dim2eiadv6mw.png

8AM. After pinning down the elven madman for a few moments, I think I gained all the clarity I need out of this place. I need to use the Scepter of Radiance to "fix" the broken portal--this should give me access to even deeper levels of the Keep, and it may in fact stop demons from pouring in? Who knows...I guess he's called a madman for a reason, but it's a relatively promising lead.

I went back to the gambling cambion, to see if I could put my newly acquired Scepter to use...I got locked into a game of chance with him, using the Deck of Many Things. I won his damn gambit; but all that meant is he would attack me anyway to get the Scepter! It was a tough battle but we did all manage to survive. Keldorn had an opening volley of Dispel Magic. Imoen cast Alacrity (for the first time!), and once that was set, she let the Breaches rip...and with my three warriors and their high-level abilities, I scraped by in this extraplanar fight.

zdboh8wm2wje.png

So I got his gem...but we're only a third of the way there, apparently. We'll delve back into the maze to see about these other two gems.

f9ejwdw0qi4c.png

12PM. After more fighting, we were able to press on down, and eventually encountered Carston inside the Machine of Lum the Mad. Ugh, what a despicable sight...but what can I do? I tried to sweet talk the mage, but he was too crazed and violent to help me at all. I'll just have to scout outwards as usual. Clearly, I'll be facing Mind Flayers and Githyanki.

q4odlclxk3ba.png

dssoxtq5vmv3.png

3PM. I decided to check out the Githyanki Camp first...I guess a slim hope that they'd be slightly more reasonable than the illithid? And who knows, maybe they heard I gave them back their damn Silver Dagger back in Athkatla...welp, no such luck obviously.

xqe0d5rzqdmi.png

6PM. I met Saladrex the Dragon. I actually had quite the amicable conversation with him, and received good information about Carston and that infernal machine: namely, that you need to bang the Crystal Mallet six times on the Machine of Lum the Mad to somehow get deeper into the Keep...and that the Crystal Mallet mostly likely is in the hands of the Mind Flayers! Also, those handwritten notes I've been finding are actually instructions on how to use the Machine...

tfqipplondn6.png

Ah, Saladrex. I owe him some thanks, but I sure did hurry on out of there after our talk. He keep mentioning that I'll be coming back but hmm...not if I can avoid it.

4zucmx3rvpho.png

Shortly after, I stumbled upon the lair of a Demilich. Too much to handle right now! Almost out of useful spells and totally out of special abilities. Maybe I come back when I can cast Protection from Undead from a simulacrum's scroll? I'll likely sleep on it.

[Day 68]

l058iha90u7b.png

3PM. Defeated the Demilich, the Mind Flayers, and chased that fool mage Carston out of the Keep once I found the Crystal Mallet. I was glad to gather all of the handwritten notes that taught me how to operate Lum's Machine, and double-glad for Saladrex's confirmation that the Machine would work with those seemingly nonsense-sounding codes; and yes, all of my attributes were thankfully increased and we got access to the next level down.

m6lbw71sgtuq.png

We started clearing the Final Seal level. I just completed the "endurance" orc challenge; I probably need to rest soon, but I should be able to push on a little more before then...

j58wnbxa6fld.png

9ubvwlh4cvvd.png

ch1lgimt5jlx.png

My current party is the following:

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 31 Thief (Dagger of the Star +5, Kundane; Shortbow of Gesen)
    Keldorn - Level 24 Inquisitor
    Jaheira - Level 17 Fighter/Level 14 Druid
    Imoen - Level 7 Thief>Level 22 Mage

yegemt75l69l.png

[Note: I've only taken two spike traps so far for HLAs. Since it's usually Keldorn and I meleeing, with Jaheira jumping in as need be, I thought Greater Evasion and Assassination were better use of my PC's HLAs at this point. I was able to upgrade to endgame gear with Dagger of the Star and White Dragon Scale. So I'm not really struggling for DPS, therefore Spike Traps aren't a huge necessity. Although from this point on, I'll most likely focus on adding more spike traps each level, interspersed with some additional Greater Evasions if I feel I need more.]

[The only HLA summon I've taken so far is Summon Deva for Keldorn, and it's relatively rare when I use that instead of another HLA. But hey, we're a combat-heavy team, I've been focusing on Fighter HLAs for Jaheira too. Once (if) she gets to 6m exp/lvl 15 druid, THEN I'll want more spells I guess.]
    edited July 2021
    [Day 68 Continued]

3PM. My next challenge...a green, unnamed dragon. It was a nasty monster, but our party has slain our fair share of dragons at this point. I had Imoen cast Remove Fear on the team before we engaged the beast.

e436g6z70uki.png

[I reloaded once here. A Dispel got my PC in the beginning, and THEN he got affected by a fear spell--Imoen was out of remove fears at that point. So he was running around for the entire battle....the Dragon was breached and dispelled and everything, but managed to take down Keldorn. I had a summoned Deva, and between that and Jaheira, it looked like they probably would have been able to put down the dragon....but my stupid PC, still panicked, got entangled right next to him. The dragon switched his aggro to the PC and took him down before he could get clear.]

[Next time I sent in the Deva first (duh) to absorb the Remove Magic and it was much easier. Afterwards I realized that the Deva has Remove Fear in its spell repertoire...gah, that would have helped me out the first try so I wouldn't have had to reload...oh well. Luckily this isn't a no-reload playthrough haha. Still stings, I don't like reloading.]

5PM. I pushed on through the Final Seal level challenges; including solving some Imp's riddles, and going through some type of dungeon journey quest.

Wanting to be rid of this place, I even activated the first lever once I gathered all three keys. That was probably a mistake, and hopefully I'll learn from it...the Aurumachs and Ferrumachs that were summoned were quite difficult--the Aurumachs especially. Most troublesome about those were they kept throwing up protections right after we dispelled them. We had *some* spells left before the fight started, but it was clear quickly that we were outgunned. Jaheira got killed following a brutal Time Stop...Imoen died later on in the fight after a targeted attack and getting trapped by an ice storm. Keldorn and I stayed upright and were able to put an end to the Rilmani creatures; we were especially effective once Keldorn cast True Sight. We then resurrected our fallen women...we shouldn't have tried to push on through that fast, I'm sorry to them. We port out to the surface to rest.

pso0gpdziyrc.png

[Day 69]

3AM. After resting, we faced the final two "Final Seal" battles, and emerged victorious, if a little spent. The Hive Mother from the last battle actually extinguished the entirety of Imoen's wand collection--mostly Spell Strike wands. Before venturing down, and finally, finally facing this Imprisoned One...it makes sense to rest once more. If it's waited this long already, we should be fine...

7xex6mb0w55g.png

oje25qjyfbxa.png

[Note: The FINAL Final Seal battle, the one with the Succubus...ouch. I think it took 5 reloads (approximate guess), so add those to my 3 already in TOB... I opened with two Spike Traps (all the traps I had left) and a Summoned Deva, with Imoen having just cast Alacrity. I forget exactly what put me over the edge the fifth time, but it had to do with taking out the Maralith first (via Keldorn's Dispel), and using Imoen's opening casts for her Greater Malison/Slow/Glitterdust spell sequencer and then Dragon Breath twice. And I just made sure our warriors always had some HLA going at all times.]

1PM. We rested again for the entire morning, preparing for the final confrontation with the Imprisoned One--thought it better to wait to daylight, right? Although, quite the interesting occurence when we went into the final chamber...

The Imprisoned One--Demogorgon, as I would soon learn--got into my head, and actually let me into the plot that Odren and his ilk were planning to seal ME in here with this thing. Keldorn did not even seem to think the Imprisoned One was evil to begin with (??), so I was open to listen to him. But before being able to process the decision before me, or do anything I would regret...I wanted to surface and talk to Odren. For all I know, these are just some monster's lies.

azywlermwubx.png

c3ofke8kmnsf.png

That kicked off a chain of events--the Knights of the Vigil revealed they knew more than they let on, and then stormed on down into the lowest chamber....a Ghostly Apparition of a past Helmite warned me not to follow. This messenger, direct from Helm apparently, confirmed that yes indeed Odren already tried to betray me. Instead, I should just read this new scroll to seal EVERYONE in.

n8q3c7dj10p9.png

gjo2id2jbxa4.png

It was a sinking feeling in my stomach, but both Jaheira and Keldorn definitely backed this plan of action. This was the best, if not the ONLY way. Maybe I could have saved Odren? But that didn't seem part of the deal when I agreed to read the holy scroll. It was a deal with Helm himself apparently, and I shouldn't take that too lightly...So I read the scroll, and the dungeon became completely sealed.

And in five days, just like that, my Watcher's Keep adventure is over. Only the future ahead of me now...ugh.

acnlt74odioy.png

[Day 70]

6AM. We rested for the rest of the day into the following morning, setting up camp on the cliff overlooking the ocean. I spent a lot of time thinking--and something stopped me from journeying farther north. At this point, who am I kidding? If my dealings over the past week have taught me anything, it's that people will keep trying to use us Bhaalspawn for worse and worse reasons, no matter where I go. As much as I want to deny my heritage...in a way, I'm turning my back if I just go north and pretend this all isn't happening, and I'm not who I am. There is no way right now I can just settle into some house on a Sword Coast and forget all this, maybe not ever.

Besides, my companions and I may come to harm just as easily if we run off north instead of confronting the danger head-on. Mazzy has already been likely killed by one of these "Five": Remember, that was Yaga-Shura looking for US, not the other way around. It's clear I can't escape my fate as a Bhaalspawn, so I just need to make my way south and draw this dark magic to a conclusion as best I can.

At the end of the day, I'm grateful my family and closest companions--Imoen, Jaheira, and Keldorn--are still willing to make this journey with me. I still don't trust Melissan entirely, but it looks like I am pulled to Amkethran regardless...

[Day 71]

3AM. On my way to Amkethran, I was intercepted by a higher-up Tethyrian search party. If I could have avoided it coming to bloodshed, I would have, but it seemed the decision was out of my hands...It does make me realize that I probably made the right decision to head south. Would the rest of the Sword Coast be this hostile, too? It really looks like a Bhaalspawn crisis everywhere.

4qc6h1fz3jdt.png

12PM. I arrived in Amkethran and was greeted by its ruler, Balthazar...I have no desire to get involved with any of his business, but I WILL visit the fortresses of Sendai and Abazigal, as is apparently my obligation here.

New to this settlement, we made our way to the tavern...I'll probably get my bearings and try to meet the locals, then head out tomorrow.

dpn0un87lnms.png

i0nmxla9wv9t.png

I soon meet Hexxat. I met someone back in Athkatla a couple months ago who claimed to be Hexxat; turned out to be the innocent victim of the real "Hexxat," some kind of vampire murderer. We ended up fighting her--and WE were the ones that walked away. I was a bit stunned to see her there in Amkethran, and approached cautiously with the rest of my group. But it definitely did not seem like she was looking for another fight as she zipped away...strange.

rbdoddry384v.png

1PM. I heard Marlowe's tale, and agreed to help him with the lich that's hunting him...seems like the least I can do. I really would prefer to not be involved in this, but it is horrid how an evil lich seems to be hunting this man's family...so I may be able to make this village a slightly safer place.

8xho73jcpagl.png

After defusing the situation with some mercenaries wanting to kill a poor young thief, I approached the guard of the Cave of the Dead to try to get a read of the situation. Like it was nothing, he sped off to the tavern, confident I could take care of whatever was going on. Well, in fact, I had wanted to rest first before investigating, but I shouldn't risk the Cave unguarded at this point...I'll have to head in.

lxpf5q0typqu.png

3PM. Welp, discovered the truth about Marlowe. He dabbled in some dark magic, and innocent people got harmed--horribly--in the process. I didn't want anything to do with the lich, so I left quickly after he gave his version of the story.

ryafbz1v23zm.png

I wasn't about to let Marlowe off the hook though. I went to try to talk some sense into him...or maybe the lich just lied to me too? But it was clear his guilt was killing him, and without much of any convincing, he decided to give his soul back up willingly to Vongoethe. I cringed during the whole process/soul transfer, and eventually told the lich to "begone!", whatever that was worth. But I guess it's less trouble for the town now, so a quick win at the end of the day.

[Day 72]

12AM. I hung low in the tavern until later at night, and then visited the Smuggler Cave. I didn't quite put an end to the Monk-Mercenary tyranny going on here, I listened to Jaheira's advice that we're kind of walking on eggshells in this little town, and just decided to keep calm about things. I did manage to speak to Carras before he closed down shop; I was able to upgrade Jaheira to a Club +3 [really, at this point?? I have the Club of Detonation but I'm not going to use that, and somehow no better scimitar or 1H weapon she can use...weird this playthrough]. I also purchased the Gargoyle Boots for Imoen, making her resistant to backstabs in case her stoneskins get dispelled or used up.

I went back to the tavern to rest until the morning--then, my plan is to head to Sendai.

[Day 73]

12AM. We journeyed to Sendai's Enclave and fought through the Drow, spider, and Umber Hulk legions. I see where this whole adventure in the south is headed: into another bloody nightmare I can't seem to walk away from...

bznnocdrq4az.png

qpncwwrh5396.png

28amiacbuy1u.png

7374ue1fx9z4.png

pdzqagbtsofp.png

[While fighting the Ogremach the first time, Keldorn got trapped in an Earthquake and went unconscious. Ogremach rushed him and bashed him into perma-death...I saw what was happening, rushed my PC in to hope to aggro the Elemental, but he got killed himself in a few bashes after Keldorn was dead. Another reload.]

9AM. Before what I believe to be Sendai's final chamber, I retreat to the Pocket Plane to rest for this--what I'm assuming will be--epic battle. (In fact, there were a few additional chambers before the main battle with the Bhaalspawn assassin...)

23s0hiacd0wm.png

[Day 74]

5AM. After a decisive victory against Sendai, we organized ourselves in my Pocket Plane, and then made the trip back to Amkethran for some rest at the tavern.

headdyys4lu9.png

jefqem6tnj0d.png

kr7kazhmqtcn.png

cxyapg34wmrh.png

lzrzsafy2bla.png

8lf3psn4r24g.png

0rv93gxirpfb.png

Waking in the morning, it's time to continue to walk down my path of fate...

My current party is the following:

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 35 Thief (Dagger of the Star +5, Kundane; Shortbow of Gesen)
    Keldorn - Level 27 Inquisitor
    Jaheira - Level 19 Fighter/Level 14 Druid
    Imoen - Level 7 Thief>Level 24 Mage

l13qrgeygqnh.png
    [Day 74 Continued]

6AM. I journyed to the Pocket Plane first to get my next solar "challenge" out of the way. While it was tempting to think about going back to Candlekeep...it's really just an illusion--it can't be, unfortunately. Sooo...I had to fight the Slayer. We easily dispatched him.

gy2t6pcjn3y8.png

fss5qhf34vh9.png

Returning to the material plane, I decided to wait and rest a little longer in Amkethran before heading out to face Abazigal. I also got the idea to set a time trap in the tavern. I'm quite familiar at this point with the the mercenary mage and the pair of guards that stay at the tavern; but I fear my time here may indeed come to violence at some point, as it has in so many other places. This way--if anyone goes hostile in this tavern--I will have a couple moments to think about it during the Time Stop.

ch5fso5lh2h1.png

[Day 75]

4AM. Traveled out to Abazigal's enclave and encountered his son, Draconis the Dragon. He was a strong foe, and his acid attack was especially dangerous, but once we were able to remove his last combat protection, he were able to put him down fairly quickly. In fact, we warriors didn't even use our high level abilities for most of the fight--we were too busy drinking superior healing potions. But he still went down without the added whirlwinds.

gnst1b61co4p.png

t65c3bl3glmq.png

xt2r17sjucx8.png

[I could have made the battle even easier if I had Imoen cast Alacrity at the beginning--but I'm always scared of the long casting time so I stay away from it. Realizing too late I could have got many more spells off if I just cast it in the beginning. Need to learn to take the leap!]

[And an annoying thing I should mention: I tried this battle twice before I killed Draconis. Both times, when he turned into his Dragon form, my PC and Keldorn were stuck within his big red circle, and couldn't move. Very frustrating. The first time I was like, wtf and got destroyed very quickly, unable to run away. The second time, I tried to console-teleport my way out, but I realized I never even enabled the console for BG2EE (I REALLY play vanilla mode). So I had to restart and try again. The third time it happened again but now I was able to fix it with the console--and proceeded to beat Draconis. For whatever it's worth, I'm not counting these as "reloads"...it was a game mechanical issue and not really within the "canon" of my playthrough, you know? I haven't experienced this before, I Googled and I just saw one thread that said 2.6 was supposed to fix it haha.]

mpqiztw1gt54.png

y0qf56hqnfv7.png

9AM. I met Iycanth the mad, with some petrified folk he seems to be doing experiments on...*shudder*. I think back to my old friend Branwen, who I found petrified in Nashkel. This is one of the more despicable mage-types I've encountered. I refused to do his task and help him on his experiment, and instead just threatened him for the scroll--he disappeared and sicked his eyeball monsters on us. I'm hoping I still may be able to retrieve that scroll. I'll keep exploring these damn caverns, I guess.

7PM. Well, I found Iycanth again pretty quickly, recovered the wardstone from the guardian dragon in return for its freedom from the geas, and cleared out the rest of our enemies from Abazigal's enclave. Before entering his lair, we ported to the Pocket Plane and spent the day resting there.

8wf0ubz0tr96.png

[Day 76]

11AM. We defeated the Blue Dragon Abazigal. His human form was not entirely difficult to put down; but once he converted to his dragon form, us warriors cold barely land a blow. And he was doing SERIOUS damage per hit. Luckily, I had devised a failsafe: I set up a half-ring of Spike Traps by the entrance, before engaging the dragon. When I lured him back to the entrance of the lair during the fighting....the spikes did their work, and he was defeated.

ujxorn7iq7bm.png

xawqfequbgmb.png

[A little lame I know, but I'd rather a spike trap victory the first time over a clean attempt with a reload. In my defense I did try to defeat him classically at the start, but once I started getting ripped apart I lured him to the traps.]

We returned to Amkethran to find Balthazar's entire army of monks and mercenaries looking to kill us. The solar revelaed to us that Balthazar indeed is a Bhaalspawn, and as dastardly as the rest of them. We returned to the village around 8AM and fought for more than three hours straight until it seemed like most of the reinforcements were gone. One of Balthazar's lackeys dropped the key to his compound, so after this bloody morning we are about to enter ANOTHER lair of the Five. The fifth of the Five, actually. I don't know what about the prophecy awaits me after this, but this monk wants me dead, so I have no choice but to confront him...

6upjy5ebd0mw.png

7hg9lu42xo58.png

ory6ulpalrc3.png

Very much spent from Abazigal and then the mercenary army, we retreated to the Pocket Plane to recuperate. I was relatively confident Balthazar was pinned down in his compound; and in fact, he was most likely waiting for me.

9PM. A terrible, sad day. I confronted Balthazar, and like the others before him, he attempted to kill me for his own schemes. He and his elite guard of monks were very deadly, and in fact permanently killed Imoen. She is now beyond recovery.

We had control of the battle for most of the time, including a summoned Mordenkainen Sword and a Deva, and our tactical positioning was in good shape. Jaheira was killed very quickly on, from a monk's attack--I'm not sure what exactly. But we would battle on and look to resurrect her later.

8mveglfmrtkw.png

b517rdh9riuq.png

Once Balthazer unleashed his wind-breathlike-pushback attack, things began to go awry. One of the monks switched their hostility directly to Imoen. She lost her stoneskins quickly; she was a little bit outside the action and not close to another of the tanks--the Deva couldn't get to her in time, the magical sword was not helping, and Keldorn and myself were focued on Balthazer, knowing killing him quickly would solve most of the problems. She drank an invisibility potion but must have forgot [i.e., I forgot]--the monks can see through invisibility. Some type of monk special attack killed her so brutally she won't be able to ever be resurrected.

7bm4e33y6x5j.png

oklesg0pwoiz.png

If only she had summoned the Juggernaut Golem instead of trying that useless invisibility potion--things may have been different. Or for that matter, just recast Stoneskin. Meanwhile on the other side of the battleground, I was stunned by one of Balthazar's attacks and probably only one more blow from dying myself...but Keldorn's greater whirlwind attack killed the Bhaalspawn monk seconds after Imoen died. 

Awful. My head is spinning and I'm angry and fearful and regretful all at once. She had suffered so much at the hands of Irenicus, but she's a Bhaalspawn like me, so it made sense for her to accompany me on my journey. But all she got for it was death; so tragic when it seems like we are so close to a final conclusion with this damned Bhaal prophecy.

The whole thing is too much to process, and I'm not even sure how I will go on without a magic-user. But Melissan's dark ritual to claim godhood, there is no pausing no matter who I have to grieve. I will simply avenge her, and Mazzy, and all the other innocents, by destroying Melissan.

pd45c8wwegkk.png

c5evvk31lt79.png

The three of us stumble out of Balthazar's compound, trudge through the desloate, bloody village, and go to the tavern to sleep.

[Day 77]

10PM. After spending some dark hoursin the mostly-abandoned Amkethran tavern, I steeled myself and focued on the mission at hand. For some more arcane support that I think I will need in my challenges to come, I finally utilize my Pocket Plane's ability to summon comrades. I call in Haer'Dalis, who I rescued and then traveled with for some significant time in Amn. Fortunately, he is in good spirits and more than willing to lend his talents to my cause as we approach the endgame.

tkj24c2c0540.png

Since he was not with us for the majority of our time in Tethyr and Watcher's Keep, he's much less experienced than me, Keldorn, and Jaheira. He will not be casting Level 7 spells or higher at any point; but I'll probably look to utilize him in melee, and have him use Protection from Magic Weapons. He'll also be my go-to for combat-protection disabling; but I'm grateful now, even more than usual, for Keldorn's high-level Dispel.

11PM. In a harrowing battle, I defeated the Ravager...hopefully the last manifested vestage of Bhaal's essence in my soul; before I destroy Melissan and hopefully bring this entire sick chapter to a close. Haer'Dalis, the poor tiefling, was cut down towards the end of the battle. We will resurrect him and then rest and recuperate some more.

fe59rklih3xw.png

[I reloaded FOUR times to beat the Ravager. He just has so many hit points, and at least three out of the four unsuccessful attempts, my PC got knocked unconscious and then just battered to death. What was key to winning eventually was everyone's first moves: Keldorn summons a Deva as his first move, Jaheira hits Hardiness and my PC activates Greater Evasion (and of course, the crucial Breach from my new member Haer'Dalis). Then progressing naturally from there.]

[Day 78]

10AM. We have pursued Melissan into the Abyss and defeated her, scuttling her plans for godhood. It was the last of my trials, and a difficult fight indeed.

es6hmjp7drww.png

qkq2vie0r995.png

h3c7zxucu6hc.png

qs0pu7m7cor0.png

rkch67zxg6ux.png

[I had to reload ONCE, and that was during the fourth and final Melissan phase. For whatever reason, I just didn't use my GWWs as soon as I should have, and she kept summoning in too many monsters for us to keep up with. I probably still coule have eeked out a win, but my PC was slowed and couldn't run away fast enough after taking a quick series of big hits.]

[I will also admit I used Spike Traps to make a round or two go quicker. Not every boss you can pre-trap without metagaming, but she's one of them (at least after the second appearance), so *shrug*.]

Personally, I rejected the Throne of Bhaal and the evil immortal essence within me. It has only ever led to pain and murder, and I jumped at the chance to be rid of it for good. A simple mortal life, with friends and family sharing good times--that's all I ever wanted. Dynaheir, Khalid, Mazzy, Imoen...these are all companions that will never be returning, because they were drawn into the evil and magic that was the Bhaalspawn saga. While my head is still racing, I know it's a good thing that I can walk away from this. I hope to some day find some peace and relief...but I realize that may take some time.

oo03zdn0jqfp.png

ltemcfaqdedi.png

The End

My final party:

Syrian Ro - Level 9 Wizard Slayer>Level 39 Thief
    Keldorn - Level 30 Inquisitor
    Jaheira - Level 21 Fighter/Level 16 Druid
    Haer'Dalis - Level 22 Blade

5naa79h9foj6.png
    Thoughts on Playthrough

I enjoyed the WS(9)>T build, although as you get on later in TOB the miscast magic penalty is less and less useful, especially Amkethran and on. Basically the harder bosses aren't arcane casters, simple as that. UAI however makes up for this and takes the class to another level. I know UAI helps out any thief character, but with WS especially, it specifically neutralizes the one disadvantage they have, while gaining the benefits any other class would get from it.

My PC ended with 6.67m xp, but maxed out in levels. For HLAs, I think I had Assassinate, Evasion, 3x Greater Evasion, 8x Spike Trap, and 1x Time Trap.

Since I only dualed at 9, I ended up being a little jealous of Keldorn's and then even Jaheira's THAC0...but my spike traps eventually made up for the hit % disparity. I got up to 5 APR eventually once I got the gauntlets that add an extra half APR, blowing away 2-handed Keldorn and shield-using Jaheira.

The switch to Haer'Dalis at the end was a bit annoying, and I did actually feel sad perma-losing Imoen like that. One of those moments where I was almost trying to get my PC killed so I could reload and not lose Imoen... And that right there is the fundamental challenge with the way I play minimal reload. If my PC dies, I get a clean reset. If my PC lives, I have to deal with whatever catastrophe occurred and pick up all the pieces. But got to stay strong mentally and not succumb to the easy way out.

Haer'Dalis ultimately didn't contribute too much during the endgame battles. He was able to send in Breaches when Keldorn's dispels weren't feasible, and cast Improved Haste on my PC when needed (just 1x/day...), but otherwise he was such a new addition that there's not much to it. Point is, my party didn't completely collpase once we lost our archmage. With the Inquisitor and my Wizard Slayer, we were set up nicely to combat magic users regardless. Imoen's spell triggers, summonses, MR-lowering spells, big damage spells, etc. were missed and probably would have made Ravager and Melissan fights much smoother....but we got by.

What else? I had been playing a Berserker, and I thought their Berserk ability was an "easy" button. I hadn't played with Keldorn in a little bit...the Inquisitor Dispel is another "easy" button for sure, I remembered.

Final stats

lhkfmp6elu4b.png

ini62m6yzjqp.png

jbwl4f9nembl.png

ck9to8nd4bss.png

Final equipment

Melee: Dagger of the Star +5
    Offhand: Kundane
    Ranged: Shortbow of Gesen
    Armor: White Dragon Scale
    Gauntlet: Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization
    Helm: Helm of Balduran
    Necklace: Amulet of the Master Harper
    Ring: Ring of Fire Control
    Ring: Ring of Regeneration
    Cloak: Montolio's Cloak
    Boots: The Paws of the Cheetah
    Belt: Belt of Inertial Barrier

us6k5g7qut3g.png

Since the Underdark (and this thread), I've been keeping contemperaneous notes while playing. I got into the habit of noting every reload, thinking it would be interesting to go back and look at the end. I don't have details of my reloads before then...

So here it is, all of my PC deaths I reloaded for:

-Mind Flayer city in Underdark, insta-death for leaving arena
    -Beholder stampede in Underdark Beholder tunnels
    -Fire giant swarm at entrance of Yaga-Shura's lair
    -Demon wraith room in Watcher's Keep Maze level, prismatic spray trap
    -Watcher's Keep final seal level, unnamed green dragon
    -Watcher's Keep Final Seal level, Nalmissra battle (x5)
    -Sendai's Enclave, Ogremoch
    -Ravager (x4)
    -Melissan, 4th phase

So there you have it. 16 total since Chapter 5 and the Underdark. Wish I had notes from before that.

It's apparent from this that the Nalmissra Final Seal Battle and the Ravager were my two most difficult fights this playthrough. Feels about right.

Next up...I will most likely roll a new character and start from Candlekeep. I have an ongoing Chaotic Evil Berserker campaign going that started early BG1, but I've not yet started a thread from the very very beginning for a character.

(I also have a Lawful Neutral Cleric/Mage who's currently in BG2 with a group of Jaheira, Rasaad, and Yoshimo...but I probably won't be returning to that too soon.)

Thank you for reading!
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    Thanks for posting!
  • GurkengeleeGurkengelee Member Posts: 56
    This was a really fun read from start to finish! Keep them coming :)