Skip to content

[MOD] The Big Metal Unit mod (v4.4) (BG:EE, BG2(EE), IWD(EE), IWD2, EET/BGT)

Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 124
edited January 27 in General Modding
The Big Metal Unit mod

GitHub: https://github.com/D2-mods/D2-Mira
Download: https://github.com/D2-mods/D2-Mira/releases
Installs on: BG:EE, BG2 (EE or classic), IWD (EE or classic), IWD2, conversion mods (ex. EET or BGT)

--

Overview:

This is a mod for Infinity Engine games. It was originally written for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale 2 in order to add the Big Metal Unit and related items into the games. The mod has since been expanded to include dialogue and item trading with various NPCs, several tweak options, as well as support for more games (Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, classic BG2 engine, and classic IWD).

The exact stuff this mod adds will depend on the game. All items are obtainable in the IWD games (including pantaloons). The Big Metal Rod and a Pulse (prototype) are added to BGEE/SoD (obtainable in both). For BG2EE/ToB, several items are added or revised, and there may be a small quest involved. There's also an option to start with a bag containing the core Big Metal items. See components section for more info.

--

Components:
1. Main Component:
  • Option 1: Standard Installation
  • Option 2: Start with the core "Big Metal" items
2. Adjust APR and enchantment level (5 options, including vanilla BG2 stats)
3. Choose damage type for Frag Grenade (fire or slashing)
4. Make ammo more party friendly (see note below)
5. Pulse ammo does double damage on a critical hit (EEs)
6. Adjust ammo charges (default is unlimited)

--

Component 4 info (party friendly ammo):
  • Makes it so only the damage from the launcher will harm PCs.
  • Ammo damage (ex. fire from Scorcher) does no damage to PCs.
  • If the launcher has no damage bonus (i.e. Big Metal Rod), the ammo is party friendly.
  • EEs/BG2 engine: Applies to Scorcher and Frag Grenade.
  • IWD1/IWD2: Applies to Frag Grenade only (can't make it work with Scorcher projectile).
  • Neutral NPCs will still become hostile if they get hit, even if they take no damage.

--

Additional info:

Option 1:
  • IWD games: All items are obtainable, including pantaloons.
  • BG1/SoD: Adds the Big Metal Rod and Pulse Ammunition (prototype).
  • BG2: Several items are added or revised (see below).
  • Some are gained through trades/dialogue, some are sold by merchants, and some can be found in various places.

Option 2:
  • Party starts with a bag, containing the core Big Metal items.
  • Other items not in the bag will still be obtainable in the game (if normally available with Option 1).
  • Also compatible with Black Pits 1 & 2.

BG2EE notes:
  • Core items are still gained the same way as in the unmodded game.
  • Scorcher and Frag Grenade are changed to the revised versions, by default.
  • Pulse (prototype) and an extra Big Metal Rod are obtainable in SoA.
  • Golden Pantaloons are in SoA, even if not importing from BG1.
  • Pulse III is obtainable in ToB (requires a lesser Pulse Ammo).

A few hints:
  • IWD1: The Big Metal Rod is in the starting town. Make sure not to miss it (though there's different dialogue with an NPC if you do miss it).
  • BG1: The Big Metal Rod will not appear at its location until you find out it exists.
  • ToB: Gold and Silver Pantaloons are obtainable if not found in SoA.
  • HoW: Any missing pantaloons, the Big Metal Rod, and a Pulse Ammo are obtainable if not found in the main IWD campaign.
  • IWD2: Any missing pantaloons, the Big Metal Rod, and a Pulse Ammo are still obtainable very late game, if you missed them earlier (you can backtrack to get them from the final dungeon).

--

Trades info (IWDEE, IWD1, IWD2):
  • Big Metal Unit: requires the 3 pantaloons
  • Pulse Ammunition: requires the Pulse (prototype)
  • Pulse III: requires any lesser Pulse Ammo (regular or prototype)
NOTE: You need to have the Big Metal Rod to get the Pulse Ammo dialogues.

--

Known issues:
  • Big Metal Unit (classic IWD1): Does not change appearance. Will appear as a plate mail.
  • Big Metal Unit (IWD2): Selection sounds will change to a creature sound, even after removing the armor. Save and reload (with the armor off) to return selection sounds back to normal.

d2-mira-01lojlm.png
d2-mira-02f0jyo.png
d2-mira-id2bm8k95.png
Post edited by Dan_P on

Comments

• Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2023
    Updated 2023-01-24

Ammo types (v3.0+)

Pulse Ammunition
    • EEs: 1d4+1 (magic), 1 missile, 5 APR, +3 enchantment
    • IWD2: 1d4+1 (magic), 1 missile, +2 APR, +3 enchantment

Frag Grenade
    • EEs: 3d4 (fire), 3 APR, +3 enchantment
    • IWD2: 3d4 (fire), +1 APR, +3 enchantment

Scorcher
    • EEs: 2d12 (fire, save for half), 3 APR, +3 enchantment
    • IWD2: 3d6 (fire) to main target, +1 APR, +3 enchantment

Pulse Ammunition (prototype)
    • EEs: 1d4+1 (magic), 1 missile, 2 APR, +1 enchantment
    • IWD2: 1d4+1 (magic), 1 missile, +1 APR, +1 enchantment

Pulse III Ammunition
    • EEs: 1d4+1 (magic), 3 missiles, 3 APR, +5 enchantment
    • IWD2: 1d4+1 (magic), 3 missiles, +1 APR, +5 enchantment

Additional info:
    • Classic IWD1 uses the same stats as BG2/EEs, except for Scorcher (same as IWD2). Scorcher damage in IWD1/IWD2 is tied to the projectile.
    • For EEs, you can choose between revised or vanilla stats for the Frag Grenade and Scorcher. This is safe to change during an ongoing game, even if the items are already in your inventory. Default is revised (if component is skipped).
    Post edited by Dan_P on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Considering that the only perk of the Rod in BG2 where it comes from is that any class can use it ... no, you don't have to make the Rod any good.

Added physical damage from weapon and other bonuses on the special ammo is also a thing in BG2, so having that apply to other games is fine.
    edited October 2021
    jmerry wrote: »
    Considering that the only perk of the Rod in BG2 where it comes from is that any class can use it ... no, you don't have to make the Rod any good.

Added physical damage from weapon and other bonuses on the special ammo is also a thing in BG2, so having that apply to other games is fine.

You're right about the physical damage. I misremembered.

I hear you about the Rod. I know it's pretty trash, besides the usability. But IWD2 doesn't even get that. So in the case of this mod, I'd like to make the Rod at least viable enough to keep around. The v1.0 also has the weird situation where the Rod is decent with regular ammo as you level, but terrible with the special ammo.
    Post edited by Dan_P on
    edited March 2022
    NOTE: this is old info from the v2.0. I've hidden it, but kept it up for reference. Accurate stats are in this post or in the ammo info file in the mod folder.
    I uploaded a v2.0, which revises the ammo types. Here are listed stats so you can see the differences, side-by-side. The main thing I'm concerned about is Pulse ammunition possibly being too strong with high damage crossbows. At the same time, firing three missiles at a time is super fun to use...

IWDEE (v1.0, vanilla BG2)
    - Pulse: 1d4+1 (magic), 1 missile, 5 APR, +3 enchantment
    - Frag: 1d12 (fire), 5 APR, strikes as magical
    - Scorcher: 2d12 (fire, save for half), 5 APR, strikes as magical

IWDEE (v2.0, revised)
    - Pulse: 1d4+1 (magic), 3 missiles, 3 APR, +3 enchantment
    - Frag: 2d6 (fire), 3 APR, +3 enchantment
    - Scorcher: 2d12 (fire, save for half), 3 APR, +3 enchantment

IWD2 (v1.0)
    - Pulse: 1d4+1 (magic), 1 missile, 5 APR, +3 enchantment
    - Frag: 1d12 (fire), 5 APR, +1 enchantment
    - Scorcher: 3d6 (fire) to main target, 5 APR, +1 enchantment

IWD2 (v2.0)
    - Pulse: 1d4+1 (magic), 3 missiles, +1 APR, +3 enchantment
    - Frag: 2d6 (fire), +1 APR, +3 enchantment
    - Scorcher: 3d6 (fire) to main target, +1 APR, +3 enchantment

For IWD:EE, you can choose between revised or vanilla stats. It's a patching component that only affects 3 files added by the mod, so you can install it even mid-game, even if the items are already in your inventory. Notably, the APR bonus is lower, but enchantment level is higher, and Pulse Ammunition is much stronger than vanilla.

For IWD2, the v2.0 ammo is a better fit gameplay-wise with the Big Metal Rod. Both Rod and ammo now have unlocked APR, so if using them together, APR will increase with character growth, and you get a better sense of progression that way as well. It's, at least, viable enough to keep around as an option.

I'm probably going to leave the balancing alone after this until I can get full replays in. I have a party ready for an HoF run of IWD2. Just a matter of finding the time...
    Post edited by Dan_P on
    edited March 2022
    Decided to quickly polish up and upload what I currently have, since I'm in full Elden Ring mode now, so not really focused on these games. I still want to add some dialogue-related stuff eventually, but item placements are generally where I want them:

v3.0 UPDATE
    - added component: Start with the core "Big Metal" items. With this option, you start with a bag containing the 5 main Big Metal items. Other ammo types, as well as the pantaloons, are still obtainable during the game.
    - changed some prices (armor is not as insanely expensive). I haven't implemented it yet, but plan is to make some items require trade-ins of other items to obtain.
    - moved some items around; some to different merchants + a couple are in containers now (so free)

Pulse Ammunition
    • IWDEE: Identical to BG2 version again. The 3 missile variant is moved to later in the game. Scorcher and Frag ammo still have revised and vanilla versions.
    • IWD2: Fires one missile per shot again (like BG2). The 3 missile variant is moved to a later merchant.

- BGEE: Big Metal Rod has a better description image
    - IWDEE: changed location of Metal Rod, Metal Unit, Bronze Pantalettes, and Golden Pantaloons
    - IWD2: changed location of Metal Rod, Scorcher, and Golden Pantaloons
    Finished the v4.0 of this, finally. It's a pretty big update, so I thought I'd actually make a post for it. Other than still being designed around the Big Metal items, this is pretty much a completely different mod from pre-v4.0 versions.

NOTE: This was previously called "D2-Mira" as a placeholder and the mod folder and GitHub page are still named that.

v4.0 Update

General info:
    • Rewrote chunks of the install files.
    • Several NPCs will have dialogue, related to gaining items from this mod. In total, 2 NPCs from BGEE/SoD, 4 from BG2EE, 6 from IWDEE, and 8 from IWD2 will have additional lines.
    • Added a few Journal entries, where it makes sense.
    • Added full support for classic IWD1. Dialogue and item locations are identical to IWDEE. A couple items are slightly different, due to engine differences (i.e. Big Metal Unit doesn't change appearance).
    • Added support for BG2EE and Black Pits 1&2.
    • All components are now installable on BGEE, BG2EE, and EET.

Changes for IWDEE and IWD2:
    • The Big Metal Unit now requires trading in the 3 pantaloons (does not cost gold).
    • The Pulse Ammunitions are now gained through dialogue. The better versions also require trading in an earlier Pulse Ammo. (NOTE: Party must have the Big Metal Rod to get the Pulse Ammo dialogues.)
    • Some items are now obtainable from more than one NPC (can only get an item once).
    • Costs a lot less gold to get all items now (still expensive, but not as much as before).

Changes for BGEE:
    • Pulse (prototype) is now gained through dialogue.
    • Big Metal Rod is only available after you learn it exists.
    • Rod and Pulse (prototype) will be in SoD if not already obtained.

Added BG2EE support:
    • Core items are still gained the same way as in the unmodded game.
    • Scorcher and Frag Grenade are changed to the revised versions, by default.
    • Pulse (prototype) and an extra Big Metal Rod are obtainable in SoA.
    • Golden Pantaloons are in SoA, even if not importing from BG1.
    • Pulse III is obtainable in ToB (requires a lesser Pulse Ammo).

Item changes:
    • EEs: All ammo types given Silver and Cold Iron properties. For BGEE, this means that Pulse (prototype) will be able to hit all the different werewolf enemies. Doesn't affect anything in other games (unmodded).
    • Adjusted base price of several items.
    • Big Metal Rod: Changed to +5 enchantment. This is only relevant if using a tweak that makes launcher enchantment apply to attacks.
    • Minor text edits.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    On EET, what does this mod notably change?

Thankee!
    @Endarire

All BGEE, SoD, and BG2EE content is in EET. Most of it's detailed in the top post or in the ammo readme file. I might have left some info out intentionally. Basically, all components should work the same as in a non-EET game. I didn't want to mess too much with the way the core items are already obtained, so no change for getting those items (unless you're using Option 2: Start with core items).

To summarize (minor spoilers):
    • BGEE: Big Metal Rod and Pulse (prototype) are obtainable. There's not a quest, exactly, but you need to first talk to the right person before either item becomes available.
    • SoD: Big Metal Rod and Pulse (prototype) are obtainable, if not already obtained. There may be more than 1 NPC you can get them from (can only get an item once).
    • BG2EE: Big Metal Rod and Pulse (prototype) are obtainable. Golden Pantaloons always available in starting dungeon. There may be a small quest involved.
    • ToB: Can get the Pulse III once you have the Big Metal Rod + any lesser Pulse ammo.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Request for SoA: Move Gold Pantaloons to Ribald's store or/and Watcher's Keep because many people just skip Chateau Irenicus.

Thankee!
    edited January 2023
    @Endarire

Alright, I can get an update up with something like that.

EDIT: v4.1 Update

Changes for BG2:
    • Golden Pantaloons added to Watcher's Keep if you didn't get it from the starting dungeon.
    • Silver Pantaloons added to ToB if not obtained in SoA.

Changes for BG1:
    • Added dialogue with an additional NPC. Can ask about item locations.
    • Journal entries will now give the pop up (if option is enabled).
    Post edited by Dan_P on