Skip to content

Ranger/Cleric Turn Undead Power

I'm thinking about either using a multi class ranger cleric or keepering Viconia into an illegal one and just wondering about how useful their turn undead will be.

It will likely be my only cleric so will they still be able to chunk most undead or will the slower leveling mean that they aren't high enough level until late in the game when undead have become less frequent and dangerous.

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    It won't be particularly useful for exactly the reason you state. On the other hand, if you want Viconia to be a solid melee combatant (which she isn't as a pure cleric), the much higher fighter APR will let her be one, and then at high levels you'll be able to access fighter HLAs which are much stronger than cleric HLAs. It's a choice for sure but one where there isn't a bad answer.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    I will point out that you do not necessarily need to destroy undead for TU to be effective, merely causing them to flee can be as good as it allows you to focus on other enemies or attack w/o retaliation for a little bit.
  • NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the answers. I'm mostly interested in changing Viconia for flavour reasons but just wanted a sense of how much power I'm losing.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    I play Cleric/Ranger and have never used Turn Undead! I never remember to ;-( We use the Mace of Disruption +2 a lot, though.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    how turn undead works as follows if im not mistaken:

based on the level of your cleric if you are 3-4 levels higher than the undead you are fighting, they will run away in terror

if you are 7 or 8 levels higher, they will be chunked ( if you are good alignment ) or under your control ( if you are evil alignment, very cool when you have liches on your team! )

so if your cleric level is level 14, you could cause fear on undead that have around 10 or so levels and chunk or control undead around 7 hit dice ( use those lower level undeads to fight the other ones for you if your evil :) )
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    edited February 2019
    I use TU all the time. I pick up Anomen, who can GM and has an extra attack due to his figther levels.

Anomen levels up fast, and gets a potent TU quite fast. I postpone the haunted temple til he is at least level 14, but the more levels the better cause the encounters scale. Anomen will explode most things and liches as well. In my plays undead just needs turning.

The mace of disruption works well against liches and Kamgaxx the demilich. But the greater mummies and the high level skeletons are better turned than wacked imo.

Btw: most creatures undead levels can be found in this excellent post
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36764/turn-undead-tables
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah, the greater mummies have really good saves, but i have seen them peace out from the mace of disruption, plus mummies and skellies take full damage from crushing weapons
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    I found that article: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/68318400

Kangaxx can be turned at level 34.Here is a table with the levels:

TURN UNDEAD LEVELS (the first number is Fear and the second number is Death):

Skeleton: 7-8
    Skeleton Warrior: 13-16
    Ghast: 9-12
    Greater Ghast: 9-13
    Fell Ghast: 9-13
    Ghoul: 7-9
    Greater Ghoul: 9 -13
    Ghoul Lord: 12 -13
    Zombie: 7-9
    Zombie Lord: 7 -12
    Sea Zombie: 7 -9
    Sea Zombie Lord: 15 -19
    Shadow: 7-10
    Shadow Patrick: 8 -12
    Shadow Fiend: 8 -12
    Devil Shade: 11-18
    Shade Wolf : 7-11
    Greater Shade Wolf : 8-12
    Shade Lord: 20-27
    Mummy: 10-14
    Greater Mummy: 17-21
    Lich: 11-18
    Elemental Lich: 20 -27
    Shade Lich: 20 -27
    Kangaxx Demi Lich: 27 -34

- Although Bone Golems are considered undeads,they cannot be turned.