Skip to content

Sincerest thanks to the maker of the IWD NPC mod pack.

I recently decided to replay IWD again and decided to install this mod. It is really well done and the characters with their inter party banter makes IWD feel much more like a RPG.

A tremendous amount of time had to go into this and I would like to at least buy the creator of the mod a coffee to say thanks via a paypal donation.

So please can the creator / s of the mod pm me so that I can get the paypal details to say thanks ;)
BelgarathMTHKenji

Comments

• Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    I just got this. How do you install it (I have the Steam version of the game)?

I keep getting invalid: 12345 or whatever on every interaction with the NPC's, and they have no voices.

Do you have to create a new folder or something to put it in? Please help!
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @georgleappies If you mean the Icewind Dale NPCs mod then that would be Kulyok, but she's no longer active.
    You could buy some of her books, though. :)
    georgelappiesKenji
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2018

I just got this. How do you install it (I have the Steam version of the game)?

I keep getting invalid: 12345 or whatever on every interaction with the NPC's, and they have no voices.

Do you have to create a new folder or something to put it in? Please help!

I'm not sure, but I think you may have to have a utility called ModMerge and follow the instructions that come with it before you can use any mods on the Steam versions of Beamdog games. Bummer. Everybody says it's easy to use, but I've never taken the time to go through the learning curve with it.

Hopefully someone else will come along and read this who can be more helpful.

Correction: I just installed it, and the new version for EE has them waiting in the tavern for you in Easthaven with everything already set up. All you have to do is roll your main character, enter the game, and talk to them to get them into your party.

I'm using the Beamdog client, though, so it was easy to just run the NPC Project setup application in my game folder once I found it. That doesn't help you with the Steam version, though. Sorry I don't know more.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    georgelappies
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited December 2018
    I had zero problems using it with the Steam version.
    georgelappies
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    Ok, can someone post a step-by-step guide on how to install it then? Obviously I have done something wrong.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    edited December 2018

Ok, can someone post a step-by-step guide on how to install it then? Obviously I have done something wrong.

Good day friend. Apologies for only responding now.

I am not currently at my pc thus the steps below should work, if they don't reply back and I will reply with steps taken exactly from my PC.

1. Steam when it is installed in its default way will be inside program files(86)/steam or without the (86).
    2. Inside the steam subdirectory will be a directory containing the directories for each of your games. Remember where this directory is.
    3. Inside the steam app uninstall IWD completely and then delete the IWD directory inside the steam folder structure (I think the folder is called common).
    4. Go to your my documents folder and delete the IWD directory from there (you will lose all saved games but you cannot use an old save with the new mod, you need to start from scratch anyway).
    5. Reboot your pc.
    6. After login start steam and install a fresh copy of IWD, it is rather small so should download and install quickly if you have a decent internet connection.
    7. After IWD is installed, right click on it in steam and go to local files, there should be an option to backup the game files. Do this, so if anything goes wrong you can quickly uninstall and restore from backup files.
    8. Look at the post directly below this, modmerge my only be needed if BG 1 is installed with SoD from Steam, so skip steps 9 to 10 and try without modmerge first (you are safe to quickly restore because you made local backup). Download modmerge (do a Google search for modmerge Baldursgate). Get the latest version.
    9. Extract the modmerge.exe file so that it is in the root directory of the game.
    10. Double click the modmerge.exe file and a terminal window will open. Choose the option that says install (or run).
    11. Download latest version of the NPC mod.
    12. Extract the downloaded zip file.
    13. There should be an executable file and a folder.
    14. Copy both to the root directory of the IWD install directory (same place as where modmerge.exe was extracted to)
    15. Double click the exe file of the mod.
    16. Again a command prompt window will open.
    17. Choose the options you want (default works well).
    18. After the mod has been installed it will tell you to press enter to close the command window. Do this.
    19. Start IWD (either from inside steam app or icon on desktop.
    20. Create new game and delete all pre assigned character slots except the top left character. You need to create your character in this slot (must be top left, else mod won't work).
    21. Enter game.
    22. You will be in starting inn with 5 characters standing close to you around the table.
    23. Talk to each and you will have the option to invite them into your party.
    24. Do this for all 5.

Only step I am not 100% sure of is whether the steam version of IWD needs modmerge. I know for a fact the BG games does. So try it with modmerge and if it doesn’t work uninstall and restore from backup files and try without modmerge.

Let me know if any of the above is not clear.

Edit: The first few steps is to ensure we start from a sane clean default install.

Edit 2: It is very important that the exact same language is chosen when setting up the mod as the language the game is installed in.
    Wandering_Ranger
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    edited December 2018
    jsaving said:

I had zero problems using it with the Steam version.

Also using latest Steam version with no problem. Can't recall if I had to install modmerge for it. In hindsight I think modmerge is only needed if you have BG 1 with SoD installed from Steam.
    Gusinda