Skip to content

Recruiting Modders: DSotSC Upgrade Project. Help Wanted (Area Artist, Dialog Coders, Etc. PLEASE)!

2»

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Vaxalon Considering the old version, all of them. New NPCs, areas, quests and dialogues. This new version is sounding like it'll be even bigger :)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I just call it a large expansion mod, and those mods have new areas, NPCs, quests, items and so forth IMO.
  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    It's slow going right now. I am shooting for a June or July release. But, I have been so busy at work that I haven't had much time to work on it. The big help I need right now is dialogues. Could really use some help with this. I have rewritten all of Jet'laya's joining dialogue, but she still needs more (party interactions, romance, etc.) If you can help out, I can give you direction on what is needed and where the story needs to go.
  • CalvinandhobbesCalvinandhobbes Member Posts: 14
    Do you specifically need people that can script, code, etc, as well as write? The writing and dialogues I can help with, if you want--the technical aspects I can't.
    Do you know how to write the dialog in the BG Dialog files?
  • CalvinandhobbesCalvinandhobbes Member Posts: 14

Do you know how to write the dialog in the BG Dialog files?

Only a little, sadly--I'm mostly a writer, and I've only fooled around a little with the engine. Sorry I can't be of more use.

I'll totally lend you my moral support, though! The updated mod sounds like it's going to be great.
  • zadkielmodelerzadkielmodeler Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2013
    I have modded other games, and I am can program a good bit in Java. I am also a little bit of a special effects artist .But I have not modded BG nor do I know how. But if you would like my help for some reason send me a message.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @CuChoinneach You might have trouble getting a writer to help if you're requiring them to know how to code; you might have better luck if you have someone else do the coding. :)
    @Kaeloree Hehe... well the deal is, I don't need writers (as I have already written much of the writing myself) as much as I need coders. ;)
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @CuChoinneach Ahh, that makes sense. I just haven't seen a post asking for dialog coders--I might have missed it somewhere, knowing me! :P

Best of luck, can't wait to see what you guys come up with. :)
  • Grog79Grog79 Member Posts: 2
    Hehe, look what I found while stumbling around on the internet. :) CuCh it's good to "see" you again. Solaufein, you too. Good luck with the project guys. I know its in good hands. Feel free to ping me if you want. Might be good to catch up after a few years.

p.s. looks like someone already took my name ;) had to improvise...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Heya

Good to see you.
  • Grog79Grog79 Member Posts: 2
    yeah. I'm feeling a mix of nostalgia and old age right now. '99 was a long time ago, but those were fun times. Still doing a little modding here and there for different games, when I have time. Mostly just working, taking care of the family, and enjoying being Dad.
    Good to see ya again Grog!
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited August 2013
    I would love to see area-scape artists (as in they paint areas for you obviously) to help you all out with DSOTSC and NSOTSC. I wish I could help, but I have no skills when it comes to BG modding. Maybe some people over at Deviant art could help, but I don't know.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Charan said:

I am currently making a global randomisation script that does:
    - All range weapon equiped monsters and NPC have around 10% chance to posses and use Magic Projectiles matching their weapon (Bow users get arrows, Crossbow users get bolts, Throwing critters get darts. (Lower chance for Rare projectiles such as ONE detonating arrow) (DONE)
    - Most enemies have around 12% chance to Spawn additional Potions. Almost every kind of potion. If circumstances are met and their intelligence (Stupid creaures will have one time INT check- if they fail, they won't use their mixture if they have one) allows them, they WILL drink them. (For example: If hit by fire damage, Drink Fire resistance potion if have one || If hurt below 60%, drink any kind of HP potion || If poisoned, drink antidote, ETC). Highest chance to spawn regular healing potions. - Player will NOT get the mixtures as drops most of the time, as they will be used. (DONE)

- Most enemies have a small chance to drop a RARE. (about 0,5% chance- lowest tier mobs to 2% chance- highest tier mobs). RARE can be useless boots, a book, Non magical equipement or maybe if player is really lucky: Flail +2 etc.
    - Separate set of random drops Mages (both RARE and mixtures). They have a chance to drop Random Scroll. It will be possible for even lowest lvl mages to drop high level spells, but it's very unlikely. They are also more likely to drop some magical toy instead of metal equipement etc.
    - Strongest enemies have a small chance for a LEGENDARY drop: Maybe a +3 weapon on VERY rare occasion etc.
    - Enemies use target prioritizing if their intelligence allows them.

This Random Drop script will be probably separated into 4 (1,2,3; mages)
    1: Weaker enemies. Weaker potions. Low chance for a drop. Incredibly low chance to drop good EQ
    2: Stronger enemies. Most potions. Moderate chance for a drop. Low chance to drop good EQ.
    3. Strongest enemies. All potions. Moderate + chance for a drop. Moderate chance to drop good EQ. Low chance to drop a LEGENDARY tier EQ
    Mages: All mages. Magic related potions (No potion of strength etc.) Moderate chance for a drop. Moderate chance to drop various random scroll from random level. Low chance to drop good EQ. Most Equipmenet replaced with magic toys or wands etc.

TL;DR
    Makes the enemies a LOT smarter and challenging. Also rewarding and exciting if lucky.

The AI script is supposed to be included in Harsh Faerun mod along with.. Well enhanced and more interesting battles + stronger enemies - especially with mages (Thanks to Lunar)

I have most of the AI script done. Tell me if anything of this interests you.

For "strong" you mean high level?
    Btw it sounds really cool.
    Could still use some AREA Modders... artwork, etc. Please IM me if you want to get involved.
  • GorionarGorionar Member Posts: 12
    Specify what you need for your help (AREA Modders... artwork, etc), in the form of a graphic or software ?
  • kexikkexik Member Posts: 28
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    Has there been any progress made here? Looking forward to it!
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    I know that this is just a wee bit late some might say *~2 Years (" ͡° ' ͜ʖ ͡° ')*, but do you @CuChoinneach want any of my er, 'Item Forging Skills' within The Dark Side of the Sword Coast?
    Here is a portfolio of my recent projects:
    image (This took ~6 Hours of Work via Microsoft Paint)
    *More Weapons and Armour are Currently Planned for Release*
    Also I can draw Item Descriptions:
    Also I can create Creature Concept Art:
    image (Alkoth the Soul Reaver)
    I can also write 'Super Rich Item Descriptions'

Also Here is an 'unfinished' Item Description that I have yet to create the Item BAM for:[Spoiler]
    (New Item: Buckler of Unexpected Might)
    'Current' Dialog File:
    "Buckler of Unexpected Might or also less commonly know as, but rather more controversially The Existentialist's Arm. This particular buckler is very old and began its life as a mere heraldric wall adornment for a particularly wealthy noble family hailing from the trading port city of West Gate. The once proud family crest is now indecipherable from having been angrily dashed and defiled and a new overlaid symbol of the 6th Level Mage Spell Tenser's Transformation has been imprinted upon its boss. As the story goes, of which many noble Westhavian historians disagree and refute with one another for most of the records are blurry, bloodied and rewritten at best; but most can agree upon these following basic details. Around 257 to 260 DR the trading port city of West Gate also knows as the 'Gateway to the west' -from the Inner Sea to the east- was successfully invaded and the ruling powers were seized and violently replaced by pirate forces from the Pirate Isles. The inflicting upheaval of the ruling families brought much turmoil upon the city's wealthiest families of trade for they were forced into extortion and unfair trade laws and heavy taxation upon their family operations. A great deal of sources argue and contradict one another over which noble family's house has this buckler associated with its tumultuous history but most all historians will say that the buckler transformed into its current form soon after the new unfair jurisdiction of the recent self-proclaimed 'Pirate King of West Gate'. Most sources agree upon that after a particularly heavy taxation of trade was placed upon the wealthiest of noble merchant families of West Gate it caused one highly regarded noble to speak out against the heavy taxation. The following high noon the influential nobleman was slain outright by a gang of the King's pirates within the city's market in broad daylight, in view and a stone's throw from most noble trade family's major buildings of operation. This was seen by the trade families as a draconian declaration of unquestioning agreement of the new taxation or a swift heinous death. From here the story begins to fall apart and spiral into a contradiction of major details and heated debate among the leading historians of West Gate. Although a few details remain coherent and concise. Soon after the wicked and untimely death of a particularly charismatic noble of one of West Gate's influential trade families a young noble Half-Elven Mage or Arcane Spellcaster was pressured to align with the corrupt ruling party of the Pirate King or with an outside Cormyrian force wishing to overthrow the ruling party from within. The sources argue fiercely over the next few brief segments of the story but most agree that the Half-Elven Spellcaster did not choose a side and violently departed on bad terms from their noble house of West Gate. As to ask why that was in the wrong places of West Gate could result in heated shouting matches, violent brawls and even facticidal bloodshed in between of some of West Gate's more questionable of noble houses. Many believe that the once young noble Half-Elven Spellcaster is to be of the same blue blood as the last true king of West Gate and the sole survivor of the king's blood after the pirate upheaval. As a result of this violent debate there has been much clandestine bloodshed among some of the long existing noble families from time to time. Some of the noble families argue that they should rule the city of West Gate for they believe fiercely that their blood lineage hearkens back to the Half-Elven Spellcaster whom once owned this particular buckler. As to whether or not the the matter will resolve peacefully or will even subside is unknown but one thing is for certain, the magical enchantment placed upon this tiny shield is very very strong. Many agree that it would certainly make sense that only a very powerful or well trained Spellcaster could have placed the enchantment upon this particularly controversial bulwark. As to why and how such a strange and bizarre set of abilities and requirements were used for the unusual enchantment is an argued mystery. Also unknown is how it was used or how the uncommon magic was placed upon this item. There is a of great debate amongst historians and scholars alike over the usage and endeavours of said item; ranging from tales of great adventure to accountings of meek, cloistered cowardice and evasion. Either way of which one looks upon the history and the controversy of and or over this small yet surprisingly powerful buckler one can be sure that the shield is of surprising value and unexpected might, both physically and politically.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 2
    Special: No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
    Special: Once Per Day Cast Tenser's Transformation:
    Tenser's Transformation changes the caster into a heroic fighter for 1 round per level of the caster. Thus doubling the target's hit points, and giving them a +4 bonus to their armor class. All of the damage that the caster sustains takes away from the bonus hit points first. All of the wizard's attacks have the same chance to hit as a fighter of the same level, additionally the target is allowed to attack twice per round with a +2 damage bonus per attack.

Weight: 1

Not-Usable By:
    Humans
    Everyone except Neutral Aligned Characters.
    Fighters
    Rangers
    Paladins
    Barbarians
    Clerics
    Druids
    Monks"

The Buckler of Unexpected Might is to be intended as a quest item / reward for Xan [To make him able to be a 'fighter' that he (supposedly) originally was before he got turned into "The only neutral Mage". I 'currently' plan for the Quest to be Activated and Finished by Xan, but the party (You) can kick him after and keep the item: If one wishes:-P). Does Anyone have Suggestions? If so.. Please suggest them?

The Current [above] Buckler can be used by the ('Current') Non-Player Characters (Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition):
    -> Xan: Lawful Neutral: Elf: Enchanter
    -> Quayle: Chaotic Neutral: Gnome: Cleric / Illusionist
    -> Neera: Chaotic Neutral: Half-Elf: Wild Mage
    -> Deder: True Neutral: Halfling: Thief[/Spoiler]

Also I have got a few ambitious 'clandestine projects' of my own and I am wondering as to where I could get some help with them.. That is if any one is interested in talking to myself about said 'clandestine projects'?
    Post edited by WithinAmnesia on
  • FlayerivFlayeriv Member Posts: 23
    Is this still considered an ongoing project?