Skip to content

Remember spell decisions after level drain and restoration

GrogGrog Member Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Feature Requests
If I loose some levels in the fight against vampires (for example) than a restoration spell helps me.
Fine.
But the real pain comes now. I have to go back in the spell books to choose many of my spells again.
Please let the game remember my spell decisions!
JarlaxleRedGuardXavioriaRobachickenWyrdMarkosGrandeCajwzreedmilfamGemHoundQuartzCloutierTingelMornmagormlneveseg314gimoxFlameguard27AndreaColomboRapscallionsepotterKlonoaneleotheszeJaxx86JalilyPugPugMatteoTuriniEdvindibSedJaceartificial_sunlightBerconBugratronaldoaqzina00zim00Awong124[Deleted User]CHAwElectricMonkShadowdemonCrevsDaakankhegwubblewigglesg

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Would indeed be helpful.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    This would be nice. I don't see the point of having to go through your spell book again after restoring the levels you lost.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    oh my GOODNESS i remember this headache. What's worse is that sometimes you'd use restore, restore the spell slots and then a level draining shadow you didn't know was there will come out of NO WHERE and drain more levels from the mage, thereby making you have to do the process all over again.

And what if you have no restorations handy and you have to do it later and then you forget to put the spells back and you hit a minor skirmish that is usually easy, but then you find out that your mage doesn't have the spells because you like and IDIOT forgot and then someone or that very spellcaster gets killed and then you have to reload and leave the area because you CAN'T rest there and now your whole gameplay becomes interrupted because of those level draining dolts.

*sigh* yea... please implement this. I don't believe that there are level draining creatures in BG1 but if they're added I hope this ittle oversight is somehow looked at...
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    It was a real pain. Hope this happens.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Baldur's Gate does have the amulet and ring which add extra spells. I'd like to see this applied to them also. If you take the ring off, you'll forget the extra spells you have that's given. But when you put it back on, it'd be nice to have the same spells memorized (after sleeping) so you don't have to repick them.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    there was a thread about this, people arguing whether it is convenience or cheese. i vote FOR it.

when fighting vampires i was usually more afraid gong back to spellbook than dying. fix this please!
    artificial_sunlight
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm in total agreement here, especially for NPC's. However, the current state does help sorcerors try different combos easier...
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Yes! This is an absolute must! I hate going back to the spellbook every minute replacing the spells.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I second.
  • KasonKason Member Posts: 30
    Will it also work with Nishruu and Hakeashar ?
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Not to mention the rage when a scripted rest happens before you restored your spells...
    Maybe there should be a warning when you have unused spell slots upon resting.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Yeah this was why level drain enemies were terrorizing the world.

You needed to put your spells back after every restoration! :x
  • evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32
    This would be wonderful to see. I usually reload if one of my spellcasters get level drained (unless it's a sorcerer) so I don't have to rememorize the spells. Remembering spells after removing spell-adding gear would also be sweet.

However, the question is if this is even possible.
    00zim00
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I believe it is possible. Only one more database for the game to store.

I'm all for it as well. I don't know how many time I forgot to choose my spells again after level draining, only noticing when I went for a spell and saw the list was shorter than usual or the spell I was looking for wasn't even memorized.

Either ideas presented in this thread would be nice. The game should remember your spell selections AND warn you you if you go to rest with an empty spell slot. It's easy to forget to select new spells when you level up as well.

Hmmm I wonder if my memory has some problem :)
    CrevsDaak
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    why no one modded this for me allready gimmegimmegimme
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    what i hate about level drain is that restoration = fatigue = forced rest. Removing the fatigue part from restoration is the first tweak i install. :D
    CrevsDaak
  • jesbranjesbran Member Posts: 5
    I would really like to see this change implemented, given that it's possible to do within a reasonable timeframe.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It shouldn't be an issue for BG1 as there are no level draining foes in the original. Would be a godsend to put this in the updated engine for BG2:EE though.
    MoiraCrevsDaak
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Bercon said:

Baldur's Gate does have the amulet and ring which add extra spells. I'd like to see this applied to them also. If you take the ring off, you'll forget the extra spells you have that's given. But when you put it back on, it'd be nice to have the same spells memorized (after sleeping) so you don't have to repick them.

And then I'd share the ring with everyone in the party, multiplying the slot bonus =D. So that's not a good idea.

I wonder how the PnP rules deal with the thread's suggestion, though I'd like it anyway.
  • evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32
    Aliteri said:

Bercon said:

And then I'd share the ring with everyone in the party, multiplying the slot bonus =D. So that's not a good idea.

I wonder how the PnP rules deal with the thread's suggestion, though I'd like it anyway.
    I think you misread that post. The spells would only be memorized after sleeping, just not have to be selected all over just because you removed that item.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    evil_ape said:

Aliteri said:

Bercon said:

I think you misread that post. The spells would only be memorized after sleeping, just not have to be selected all over just because you removed that item.
    Yeah, I didn't see the parenthesis.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    This would be a very nice implementation. Currently energy drain causes inordinate amounts of management issues to a point where it often just doesn't feel worth the headache to take on vampires etc without suitable (mostly) metagaming preparations.
  • GrogGrog Member Posts: 3
    Corvino: "It shouldn't be an issue for BG1"

Yes, but several mods adds such monster types also in BG1.
    It's an engine modification and I bet the engine for BG2-EE is based on the engine for BG1-EE. Therefore I think it's not a big deal to include this feature also in BG1-EE.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited October 2012
    A feature that I think could be improved from the old Baldur's Gate is how level drain affects spellcasters. Currently, level drain is a minor annoyance to fighters that can easily be fixed with a restoration spell, but is a major headache for spellcasters. This is because once a restoration spell is cast the spells are still wiped from the caster's slots in their spellbook so they have to re-enter each one of them every time.

This may not seem like a big deal, but when fighting shadows or some other type of creature that causes level drain with high-level spellcasters it can be quite annoying and time consuming to re-enter each one of their spells everytime they get in an otherwise minor scuffle with a shadow. I've encountered this problem in both BG1 and BG2, but it is a larger problem in BG2 where my mage has over 100 spells that need to be re-entered every time he gets level drained. The result is that I just load the game every time this happens, even if I've just otherwise won a very difficult epic battle.

My suggestion is to make level drain for spellcasters similar to how it is for fighters, where it is only a temporary affliction. When a restoration spell is cast whatever spells were loaded before would come back. This would make the game much more fun and playable in relation to level drains.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Anton said:
    Sorry, I hadn't noticed that thread.

One additional detail I'd like to point out though is that unlike what people said in that thread it IS possible to be level-drained in BG1. I forget exactly where but I remember encountering shadows in one of the Tales of the Sword Coast areas. I want to say that it was in Balduran's ship on the werewolf island, but it's been a while since I've played, so I'm not 100% certain if that was where. It was defnitly in BG1 though, so this is an issue that would, ideally, be resolved in both games.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited October 2012
    Merged the similar threads.

@ARKdeEREH

I don't remember any shades in that area.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Definitely need this feature.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    This would be bliss, but not necessarily possible :<
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Really annoying when someone like Aerie is level drained and I have to go though alllll the mage spells and aallllll the cleric spells after I restore her
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak