Skip to content

So i took peoples advice....

Two people told me that i should just go anywhere i wanted after leaving the slums so i explored athkatla some more then i headed to a place called watchers keep after acquiring keldorn and this place is ridiculously hard am i not supposed to be here yet or am i doing something wrong?
lolienSmilingSword

Comments

• BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Generally speaking, in most cases you can leave an area you find too difficult and return later when you feel more confident without the game punishing you. You should normally get a sense or some clue (read the dialogues, etc.) when the game forces you down a rabbit hole.
    semiticgoddesslolienJuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmmm ... well, it is technically possible to tackle most of WK at relatively low levels, if you know what you're doing and meta-game it.

However, since this is your first run ... no, you're not really supposed to be there yet. Interpret the high difficulty as the game's way of telling you that you need to leave this area until later. Also, the XP rewards in there are so high that, if you do it early in the game, you'll level up a lot and make many other areas much easier than they "ought" to be, so it can spoil the fun.

Personally, I typically go to WK in Chapter 2 or Chapter 3 to buy a potion case from Sister Garlena (simply for the convenience of inventory management), and then enter the first level to retrieve the Ammo Belt (likewise for inventory management), but I don't usually yet trigger the "statue battle". Then I walk away, and don't usually return to WK until I'm in Chapter 7, simply to stash any spare items which I want to carry over into ToB (not to continue the fight), then I'll come back and fight my way through the rest of it in Chapter 8 (i.e. in ToB). Occasionally, I'll come back to fight my way through in Chapter 6, but it depends upon who I have in my party.

Tackling any more than the first level of WK before at least Chapter 6 ... is possible, but I don't recommend it.
    Millerguy74BlucherlolienJuliusBorisov
  • Millerguy74Millerguy74 Member Posts: 44

Hmmm ... well, it is technically possible to tackle most of WK at relatively low levels, if you know what you're doing and meta-game it.

However, since this is your first run ... no, you're not really supposed to be there yet. Interpret the high difficulty as the game's way of telling you that you need to leave this area until later. Also, the XP rewards in there are so high that, if you do it early in the game, you'll level up a lot and make many other areas much easier than they "ought" to be, so it can spoil the fun.

Personally, I typically go to WK in Chapter 2 or Chapter 3 to buy a potion case from Sister Garlena (simply for the convenience of inventory management), and then enter the first level to retrieve the Ammo Belt (likewise for inventory management), but I don't usually yet trigger the "statue battle". Then I walk away, and don't usually return to WK until I'm in Chapter 7, simply to stash any spare items which I want to carry over into ToB (not to continue the fight), then I'll come back and fight my way through the rest of it in Chapter 8 (i.e. in ToB). Occasionally, I'll come back to fight my way through in Chapter 6, but it depends upon who I have in my party.

Tackling any more than the first level of WK before at least Chapter 6 ... is possible, but I don't recommend it.

Thank you i will take your advice :smiley:
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2015
    A point which may be worth noting, @Millerguy74, or may not be relevant to you (depending upon your playing style), is that WK is the only area accessible from both SoA and ToB. When you complete Chapter 7 (i.e. you complete SoA), you'll lose access to every place you've thus far visited, except for WK.

This is why, if you have a store of spare items which you reckon you might still want in ToB, then move your store into cupboards (etc.) in WK before completing Chapter 7. Your stored items will still be there when you return to WK in Chapters 8 or 9 (i.e. in ToB).

The reason for this is that when BG2:ToB originally came out as an expansion pack for BG2:SoA, there were two parts to the expansion: ToB itself, which is a continuation of the main plot-line, and WK, which is a huge "bonus dungeon" side-quest. You can't access the ToB areas from SoA (or vice versa) because that would break the plot, but they decided to allow the WK "bonus dungeon" to be accessible from both parts of BG2. This also explains why WK is so difficult: it's primarily designed for ToB-level characters. When you get to those levels, WK isn't so hard!
    FinneousPJBlucherJuliusBorisov