Skip to content

Transferring Characters from BG1 to BG2...CD versions

Hey Everyone,
Just having some trouble transferring my main character from BG1 to BG2. I've done it before years ago but I can't remember how I did it and I've gone through just about everything I can think of to try and get him over.

I understand there mightn't be anyone on here that still has the cd versions of the game they are that old, I break them out every couple of years for some fun, but I thought I'd ask?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    The options are to copy your final save from BGEE to BGIIEE, or export the character then copy the character files from BGEE to BGIIEE. Files are probably in Documents\Baldur's Gate...\ save and character folders.
  • Ragnar987Ragnar987 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Gate70.
    I can find the folder for the character save files but my main character isn't there. I've exported him as well is there any other place I could possibly find his save file or another way around it do you think?
    Also where do you find the final save from BG1? It's in the actual game once you go in there to load up but can't find it as a file.
    Thanks again.
    Ok so I've realised the problem. The exported characters aren't actually being exported. I tried it numerous ways and it's only showing the 5 generic characters that come with the game for importing.

So I guess the new question is why wouldn't BG1 be exporting characters...
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @Ragnar987 I understand you are playing the CD versions of the original games, right?

If you're doing so, have you installed them at the default location? By default I mean the folder "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate" or something similar.

Ever since Windows 7 came out, installing the games inside the Program Files folder can lead to wonky results because of the User Account Control functionality.

I recommend you open a window with your Users folder (you know, the one with your Window's user name). Once you're there, enable viewing hidden files (you can do that under the menu View -> Folder Options). Now you should be able to see a hidden folder named AppData. Inside it there's another one named Roaming (or maybe Roaming is inside yet another folder called Local - forgive my fuzzy memory).

Inside the Roaming folder you should find a Black Isle\Baldur's Gate folder with all your saves and exported characters.

To avoid that in the future, simply install the games outside of the Program Files folder. I do that even with the Enhanced Edition out of habit.

Hope I've helped.
    Almost there Kilivitz! I was able to change the settings in folder options to show the hidden files and folders, but now I can't find the Appdata, roaming or local folder.
    I've tried searching for it in the search bar and looking in places I thought it could be but no luck.
    Any other ideas as to what the folder might be that it could be in?
    Thanks a lot for your help so far
    Also yes I'm playing on the old CD versions
    That's strange. What version of Windows are you using?

Can you try typing "%appdata%" (with the percentage symbols but without the quotes) on the address bar of any folder and hitting enter?
    Kilivitz you are a lifesaver my friend! Haha!

So the exact way I eventually found it was:
    %appdata% in search bar
    Local Folder
    Virtual Store Folder
    Program Files
    Black Isle
    BG1
    Characters

And bang dragged and dropped it into BG2 characters folder!

Once again Kilivitz thank you very much for your help!

Ragnar987
    Glad I could help. Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!