Skip to content

The Elven Party

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
So I got a new phone and lost all of my old saves. So I started a new character: an elven ranger. Rolled a 95, so quite happy with him. By the end of BG1 he should have:

S19
Dex20
Con18
Int10
Wis17
Cha19

BG1 I have...

Archer (Charname)
Jaheira
Khalid
Xan
Coran
Kivan
(briefly taking Neera for her quest and ditching her for being so rude at the end)

So all elves and half elves.

What would be best for BG2 to keep this going?

Archer (Charname)
Jaheira (halfelf)
Aerie (elf)
Neera (half-elf)

This leaves me with 2 slots. I need a thief...so what should I take?

Options:

(1) Haer'Dalis (He is a tiefling, but at least uses the elven character image so he would like like he fits in. Plus the bard song he gets in throne of bhaal, stacked with archer bonuses, should make Charname stupidly powerful)
(2) Wilson (A horrible character, but with a ranger and a druid in the party, he would fit thematically)
(3) Jan (He is a thief...and another mage. So three mages and an archer would bring on some serious hurt. I suppose because Aerie worships a gnomish god, he would sort of fit the party as well)

Anyone got any advice to keep this 'elven' party playthrough on track thematically when it reaches BG2?

Comments

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited February 2016
    I would say Jan Jansen for sure, then one of the other two to have a full party, depending on your preferences. (at least take Haer'Dalis for the time it takes to make his quest, if you will choose Wilson)

EDIT: If you don't mind picking shorties there's Mazzy, also there's Korgan the dwarf and Viconia the Drow but they're evil and maybe they'll not fit your party.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

I would say Jan Jansen for sure, then one of the other two to have a full party, depending on your preferences. (at least take Haer'Dalis for the time it takes to make his quest, if you will choose Wilson)

EDIT: If you don't mind picking shorties there's Mazzy, also there's Korgan the dwarf and Viconia the Drow but they're evil and maybe they'll not fit your party.

I love Korgan...but he and Aerie do not get along. And Victonia as a drow is kind of the anti-elf, so to speak. While she can be redeemed, I don't see her fitting in all that well.

Mazzy is certainly an option. It'd be my first time using her as a front line fighter though, rather than an archer. Seeing as how the party would only have Jaheira to tank.

Yeah, I kind of like that. Jaheira and Mazzy in the front. Jaheira eventually dual wielding scimitars.

But what to give to Mazzy?

She comes in at lvl 9. So by the end of SoA she should get roughly 3 proficiency points. By the end of ToB she should get about 7 more.

Option 1: *** dual wielding for SoA, with ***** shortswords by the end of ToB. Mainhand sword of avoreen (immune to slow/stun and can slow enemy), with offhand Crom Frayer (S25 makes up for lack of proficiency in it and offhand doesn't matter much)

Option 2: ** halberds and * two handed weapons for SoA, max them both out in ToB. Go Dragon's Breath (all of that elemental damage is nice) and then Ravager when it gets upgraded

Option 3: *** flails with flail of ages and a shield for SoA, so she can better tank it up in the front lines. Buy Defender of Easthaven for later use. In Tob max out flails, then get dual wielding and eventually replace her shield with that. By epic levels, her HLAs combined with the DoE protection will make her a great tank.

Option 4: ???
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    edited February 2016
    It doesn't solve your problem and I feel you've explored all possible solutions (there are only finite characters after all). However I have enjoyed playing an all ranger party in the past.

BG1 - Grum, archer
    Kivan, ranger
    Minsc, ranger

BG2 - Grum, archer
    Minsc, ranger
    Valygar, stalker

Game gets better when all your saves have improved, but you can all cast dispel too. It's a lot of fun to remain in light armour too, so you can all be sneaky together... most things die before they can get near if all longbow proficient.

Sorry, I know that's off-topic but hope it's of some interest. By the way, why elves?? Don't you usually prefer the short and stocky??