Skip to content

Dead party members, XP and solo run charm protection

MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
Anyone knows whether:
- dead party members get XP (my google fu says yes, but always good to confirm)
- If you have only a dead party member, charming charname (or mazing him) is game over?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Dead party members don't get XP while they're dead.

If you have all other party members dead, getting your charname charmed and mazed will be a game over.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited June 2016

If you have all other party members dead, getting your charname charmed and mazed will be a game over.

And I still protest this ridiculous feature.

according to this logic, if the tables are turned and you charm a lonely enemy, they should automatically suicide too.

bioware probably made this because they didnt want people to wait it out and do nothing, and they thought reloading was "far more fun".
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    I remember way back when I had just started playing BG1, carefreely strolling around the Sword Coast, when a Siren charmed me. The game didn´t end, and I passed the time reading books (for some reason I had been collecting them up to the point where I had at least half inventory full fo them). Great for passing time, supposedly the Siren walked away, too. Don´t know how long time went by, must´ve been more than half a hour, when I saw that my character was green, free of the charm. I took a few steps, jsut enough to reveal two Sirens, of which the second handily charmed me again. Since I had nothing to do, as I had read all the books, I reloaded. I think I prefer that mechanic to modern in which a random charm in form of Dominate from a vampire ended my game about ten times in a row while soloing Black Pits 2.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Tarlugn said:

I remember way back when I had just started playing BG1, carefreely strolling around the Sword Coast, when a Siren charmed me. The game didn´t end, and I passed the time reading books (for some reason I had been collecting them up to the point where I had at least half inventory full fo them). Great for passing time, supposedly the Siren walked away, too. Don´t know how long time went by, must´ve been more than half a hour, when I saw that my character was green, free of the charm. I took a few steps, jsut enough to reveal two Sirens, of which the second handily charmed me again. Since I had nothing to do, as I had read all the books, I reloaded. I think I prefer that mechanic to modern in which a random charm in form of Dominate from a vampire ended my game about ten times in a row while soloing Black Pits 2.

I used to do that as well in bg1, usually if I got charmed I would read the descriptions to my magical items to pass the time, because back in vanilla bg1 days, dire charm had a 20 round duration, which even at frame rate 60 can take a while, but then bg2 came out and made the duration only 8 rounds

im going to assume that its the bg2 engine that makes it so you die if you are a single character getting charmed or mazed, could just be one of those weird things that the engine does not necessarily something that is implemented intentionally

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    From what I recall it is something to do with how the game defines "game over" and it is related to having zero active party members.

It must be moddable somehow I think put probably a huge amount of work.