Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Critters ,'magical places', A D&D influence on an ol gamer.

ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,184
edited March 2017 in Off-Topic
I believe my interest in D&D led to to interesting choices in real life companion animals and actual places I always thought to be as about as magical as they get (here on Earth(from an imagination somewhat enhanced by D&D)).

I tended to like the unusual and some of that stems I think from an early intro to D&D and fantasy literature

Anyone else?

Lets see:

Tarantulas, several of those.
Emperor scorpians (from the old Clash of the Titans movie)
Rats(much less bitey than gerbils and hamsters)
Percheron horses (I wanted a BIG draft horse to ride) He liked his chewing tobacco of all things and sounded like thunder running up to me.
Never got my big Mastiff yet.

Would like to have a banana slug from the west coast but something about exports state to state I think.

Grew molds to see how big they could get( D&D playing in the basement tended to have a bulid up of glassware, hehheh.

I find though that over the years it gets hard to see creatures pass away and sometimes makes it hard to try again(but do usually)

For places it has always been waterfalls, old growth forests, lakes with small islands in them, caves, big moss covered areas and mushroom fairy rings that pop up around where trees were, in a circle.

Post edited by Zaghoul on
ThacoBellTeflon

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,876
    I am really fond of arthropods myself. Especially the primordial kinds. Such as triops, fairy shrimps and horseshoe crabs. While not really considered as magical critters, they are no doubtly one of most alien ones on Earth. Not to mention cute. Although their short lifespan of a couple of months makes them ill suited for pet lover who do not want to raise dozens of generations. Dwarf shrimps are also cute little buggers though and much easier to keep.

Although I must admit that the only reference to triops in D&D I know of is a ship class from Spelljammer. So the chances to ever aquire an "Dire Triops" ready to use as animal companion is nil. Not to mention the others.

For places I prefer desolated ones, far from any human influence: tundras, icefjords, impossibly high mountain ranges, caverns and the sea bottom comes to mind.

ThacoBellZaghoul
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,181
    Being a bit of amateur biologist, I love far too many different creatures to reliably pin down a favorites list.
    As for locations: Damp forests, caves, plateus.

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,184
    @Kamigoroshi Huh, I never really noticed I did have alot of arthropods til you mentioned them. The scorpions glowed in the dark under a black light I had for heat.
    Many more tarantulas, I discovered that keeping them had a tendency to keep mom away from my house, hehheh.
    I do remember the horseshoe crabs from living on the coast, just the shells mostly but occasionaly seeing the live one.
    Mistake: DO NOT try to keep a Man-of-War as a house critter. Got stung by that just as I brought him back from the shore one day. Sloshed right out of the bucket and right across my arm. Yep, it hurts. Never got bit by spiders or the scorpions though.

One reason I live up in the mountains in a relatively unpopulated area. Less ppl.

@ThacoBell I am noticing a cave theme so far among us.

ThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,833
    edited March 2017
    The perfect example of fantasy worldbuilding done right is Morrowind. It was unique and strange, but all of the strangeness made perfect sense.

Buildings made from giant crab shells or molded clay, because wood was not an option--trees could not grow in the volcanic ash that covered much of the continent.

Weapons and armor made from chitin, because giant insects could weather Morrowind's harsh desert climate, and metal was scarce.

Huge eggs as a major food source, because the locals had domesticate a race of termite-like giant arthropods that laid massive eggs.

Muck as a major food source, because muck sponges grew on the coasts.

Xenophobic, 300-year-old wizards living in giant mushroom houses, because they learned to control mushroom growth--again, trees did not grow there.

Leather made from floating jellyfish hides, because raising cattle or sheep for their leather wasn't possible in a land without grass.

It just goes on and on. Countless oddities, all of which perfectly fit in Morrowind's alien ecosystem.

ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
    @semiticgod But what types of earth critters (you've had or like) n places (magical seeming) do you consider influenced from a D&D or roleplaying/fantasy background.

semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,833
    edited March 2017
    Ah, I couldn't tell from the first post that that was the intended question. I don't know about that, but when you think about it, an electric eel sounds a lot more like a D&D critter than a real animal.

Same goes for a flying squirrel.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,640
    @semiticgod , That's what I loved most about Morrowind - the feeling that I was exploring and adventuring on an alien planet. I used to could spend an hour just looking up and studying the sky. It was so well designed, the movements of the constellations and heavenly bodies made astronomical sense, and you could figure out what was going on with the moons and the solar system.

Sorry about the off-topic, OP. Stream of consciousness association, I guess.

Personally, "I don't like spiders and snakes." Remember that old song? So, no, playing D&D gave me no interest in owning and caring for real life "monsters".

semiticgoddess

Personally, "I don't like spiders and snakes." Remember that old song? So, no, playing D&D gave me no interest in owning and caring for real life "monsters".

@BelgarathMTH Heh, some don't. Funny song that. I remember Jim Stafford had a small part in Clint Eastwood's Any Which Way You Can, singing Cow Patti.

Never minded snakes that much but we swam in the lake on the farm and the occasional cottonmouth swimming near got out attn. pretty darn quick. Funny though, we never minded pulling the little leaches off us after about every swim.

BelgarathMTH
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,181
    Snakes are the puppies of the reptile world.

Teflon