Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The 'EVILS' of AD&D in the 80's

2»

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,810
    edited March 2017
    I never knew any controversy when playing AD&D back in the eighties, just a trouble of explaining people what roleplaying is. AD&D was very unknown in the Netherlands but for a few people.

I think the controversy is a local American thing? I've never known about any controversy back then.

FinneousPJTeflonCrevsDaak
    Zaghoul said:

I believe mental illness alot to do with many of the cases.

An association between having mental illness and being induced to violence is just as stigmatizing and wrong as making an association between playing D&D and being induced to violence.

BelleSorciereCrevsDaak
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,125
    In the 80s, one of my parents liked to threaten to destroy my stuff because RPGs were the Devil's Work. My other parent would buy games for me as Christmas and Birthday gifts. I don't think the first parent was actually being genuinely concerned for the state of my immortal soul because he's a terrible human being and being around him would make anyone's life worse. He'd use anything to bring someone down.

He also threatened to burn my tarot cards because they were also evil. He didn't care about the aesthetics at all (many tarot decks are quite pretty).

@Buttercheese I see what you're saying.

Teflon
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 677
    Denying a bunch of children/teens the opportunity to pursue their hobbies passionately, simply due to some outrageous moral panic and general ignorance...Well that triggered me and made me angry when I read about this a few years back.

Even if I wasn't there and my own experience with D&D is mostly related to computer games.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,996
    Media, politicians, and preachers are usually the problem. My grandfather remembered that, around 1922, the Archbishop of Iowa wanted to make jazz illegal. "Jazz is leading our youth down the primrose path to Hell!" was what my grandfather claimed the paper said.

Which just proves Mencken's definition of puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, is having a better time.

ZaghoulbatoorCrevsDaakArctodus
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,162

Zaghoul said:

I believe mental illness alot to do with many of the cases.

An association between having mental illness and being induced to violence is just as stigmatizing and wrong as making an association between playing D&D and being induced to violence.
    @Son_of_Imoen Mental illness always seemed to be brought up in media reports of this. Like I mentioned before, I think it is used as an excuse. Obviously everyone that has some sort of illness is not violent, or ever would be but there are of course cases where an illness of some form or other has led to violence, against others or oneself, and I use the term illness in the broad sense. It is almost hard to figure it out unless I was right there in the jury and did not have the media;s influence to listen to.

USA has got some of the worst crap and narrow minded ppl, esp in the bible belt of the south, where I grew up.

@BelleSorciere Another one huh, dang, at least all my folks did was yell down in the basement at 3am in the morning to ' be quiet, ya'll are making too much racket'.

@tbone1 You may be right, "If I o:) have to follow the straight n narrow path, then, dadgumit, everybody else >:) is also, dadburn heathens n there 'Daggers n Robber's' roleplaying" hehheh

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,009
    We played back in 1981, every day during "home room" hour at school in the 7th grade (it was supposed to be a time to finish make-up work or homework...like that was actually going to happen). I used to have all the 2nd Edition books but, sadly...let's just say that they met with an untimely demise at the hands of someone who was trying to inflict emotional harm upon me.

Given that some of my fellow 7th-graders were already smoking, probably drinking, and engaging in other adult activity that our AD&D was pretty tame compared to that.

Teflon
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 264

That and my cousins invited me to play a game and all they could focus on what a magical bra that made females well-endowed

I think that's the first time a forum post has genuinely made me laugh out loud.

themazingnessTeflonCrevsDaakArctodus

We played back in 1981, every day during "home room" hour at school in the 7th grade (it was supposed to be a time to finish make-up work or homework...like that was actually going to happen). I used to have all the 2nd Edition books but, sadly...let's just say that they met with an untimely demise at the hands of someone who was trying to inflict emotional harm upon me.

Now that was the PROPER use of 'home room' time back then.
    @Mathsorcerer Someone hurtin ya D&D stuff? Dang. That's cold,man like hitting ya with a wand of frost cold.

"Dang so n so scratched my car, stole my TV, my music, welllll OK, but O Lawd, NOT my D&D stuff" :) There must be a special place in the nine hells for ppl that do that.

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,769
    No discussion of this topic would be complete without a link to to Dark Dungeons.

Nobody does religious bigotry like Jack Chick.

ThacoBelltaclane
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 701
    edited March 2017
    BillyYank said:

No discussion of this topic would be complete without a link to to Dark Dungeons.

Nobody does religious bigotry like Jack Chick.

Cool! I didn't know D&D prepared you to actually be like your character! I'm going to go roll barbarians with high strength and charisma scores until I can be like the Governator.

Post edited by themazingness on
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,173
    Even many Christians think Jack Chick is insane. Its kind of funny, my dad was an avid DnD player in 70s-80s, he was the person that introduced me to Baldur's Gate in the first place. My mom always fell into "this new thing is evil" DnD, video games, Pokemon, Harry Potter. I always appreciated that rather than jumping on the band wagon, my dad would always offer to play/read/watch it with me. He actually took the time to learn my hobbies.

Balrog99themazingnessCrevsDaakMathsorcerer
    I got introduced to gaming in like the 6th grade. They did this thing where we'd get to take one elective each semester, and I pounced on this one called "Intellectual gaming." So while most of the class was playing boardgames and chess, there were these guys waaaaaaay in the back playing Snapshot. So I got in on that action and the next time it was AD&D. I ended up getting into RPGs and wargames because of it.

As for the class? The teacher made us go outside and play softball eventually.

ThacoBell
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,009
    Zaghoul said:

@Mathsorcerer Someone hurtin ya D&D stuff? Dang. That's cold,man like hitting ya with a wand of frost cold.

I had most of the books, too--the DM Guide, Player's Handbook, Unearth Arcana, Monster Manual I and II, etc. I even had an original Ravenloft module (the I6 one), not to mention the 3rd Edition stuff I had gathered together. *sigh* In the long run, though, I made it out in one piece even if not all the books did.

@BillyYank That guy looks a hard core religious follower.
    THere is a case right now in NC where a religious school has all sorts of previous students coming out now as adults saying that the church/school beat them, yelled at them and more to expunge the devil from them. Been going on at least 20 years it looks like. If D&D had been brought into that I can imagine what would have happened.
    Some private religious schools still teach the girls not to aim to high as they only need to be wives. My Niece experienced this in the last 10 years for crying out loud.

@ThacoBell Now that's an understanding Dad. I knew some kids growing up that had real $^%holes for dads.

@BelleSorciere Never heard of Snapshot but I did play a little Traveller.
    Gaming, now that would be nice to take as a credit. Well, started out good sounds like, til it turned to softball (for a hardcore gamer softball just ain't the same thing, hehheh).

@Mathsorcerer Believe me, getting out in one piece is sometimes all one can do, and that's enough.

ThacoBell
    Yeah, I've never really been a fan of sports (okay, I had a period where I loved soccer, but in general).

edited March 2017
    @BelleSorciere
    Course sports are catching alot of flak now as well, better them than D&D. I can't remember when I started hearing less about D&D and more of the OTHER (so called) evils in society. Early 90's when internet hit the big picture I think.

Thing that bugged me was D&D was called bad by some but it was OK for kids to get bashed up in high impact sports (and be cheered on for it).

In what countries did this whole "D&D is evil" thing happen?

Zaghoul
    On another note, I miss the large number of fantasy sword n sorcery type of movies we had during earlier era's as well.
    For that matter some ppl did not mind all the killing and violence in movies from the beginning of the movie industry but could not handle ppl playing D&D. Give us a break.

I do not remember them catching 'ell either compared to D&D.

I believe at the core of most things, and one of my favorite authors (HP Lovecraft) used it to his advantage.
    Fear of the unknown is always one of most worrisome things for ppl, and I think, always ill be.

For those of you that had (have) understanding parents your lucky in that regard because it is obvious from this thread many did not.

I have been a part of many religions in my time and one thing I always ran into at some point or another was a narrow minded person. I can tell you that this ol D&Der questioned the heck outa everyone, in person, and raised questions that could not be answered comfortably by them.

ThacoBell

In what countries did this whole "D&D is evil" thing happen?

We certainly ran into in parts of the US, esp within the bible belt of the southern states.

I never looked into or heard of other places, but when I was younger I did not pay much attn. to international news.
    Would be interesting to see this though. I know D&D made it around the world long before now.

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,864
    People had some really messed up views back then, that's for sure. My late grandfather was born left handed, and the teachers back in his school days used to tie his left hand behind his back and force him to use his right hand instead, because being left handed was considered 'evil' or something.

edited March 2017
    Nimran said:

People had some really messed up views back then, that's for sure. My late grandfather was born left handed, and the teachers back in his school days used to tie his left hand behind his back and force him to use his right hand instead, because being left handed was considered 'evil' or something.

@Nimran Thats pretty darn harsh, I agree

The past has had some horrific actions surely, but IMO I am seeing a resurgence in hate, bigotry, and narrow mindedness in the last few years that that somewhat rivals the past. I really hope that political correctness will not shut down our ability to have honest and truthful discussions without fearing ridicule.
    Shut down a person's thoughts and honest ability to express themselves then we have already shut down the conversation to understand one another.
    D&D in the late 70's and especially 80's had this with various churchs surely. As some have mentioned, just joining in and trying it changed some minds.

@tbone1 I heard alot (not of you, but all parties in general). We lack as many choices some other countries have with basically two parties in the majority. I watched the LP convention myself, although an independent myself, I like to hear everything if for no other reason than to better understand what others are thinking and being told.

edited March 2017
    @BelleSorciere Go ahead and voice it. A long as we all stay respectful I love to hear ideas. I did not intend for the thread to get too politcal but politics does crop up sometimes. Esp if something I say offends. :)

BelleSorciere
    edited March 2017
    @Zaghoul Nah, I don't want to step into that quagmire. I want to enjoy the camaraderie while it lasts. :D

CrevsDaaktbone1Zaghoul
    @BelleSorciere Hehheh, I hear ya. :) Since joining,(not long) I think the group here seems pretty good.

Balrog99CrevsDaakBelleSorciere