Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Witcher 2 models

zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 180
So I have been learning blender and have substance painter as well. And I now have a good idea about just how much time and work go's into making game assets from scratch. how much? A LOT.....and I keep coming back to the reality of how much faster and easier it is to just take old content from a game and put it into this one. I have tested and I know it can be done.

why witcher 2 and not 3? Because witcher 3 uses PBR materials and you need a game engine that supports PBR to render them properly,NWNEE's engine will not.

Why witcher 2? the art style fits better with what nwnee is going for and it fits better with the old content better than realistic textures would. And the witcher 2 was a late gen non pbr game like nwnee, so the bit maps normal's and specular maps will port right over.

What I want to know is if this is something you guys would like to see happen. I know that I do not have the rights to use the content. There is that. but it will all be free, and I do not plan to take any creature or npc models.
Why? because they would not fit in with the old models, and they are a part of the witcher lore and not the forgotten realms and I think that is where they should stay.

Post edited by zordren3742 on
AMP1972

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 371
    My understanding is that CD Projekt Red are probably willing to permit this, as long as you ask first (see this thread, for example).

Bear in mind that there is some nervousness in the NWN author community at the moment, so it would be positively helpful to be seen to respect copyright (all other considerations aside).

You might also like to know that a fair amount of Witcher material has already been converted for NWN.

zordren3742
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 180
    edited May 15
    I have reached out and asked permission on the cd projekt red support and mercin momot's email from the link you posted. That topic was from 2013 so I don't know if things have changed or not I will wait and see.
    And for all those that are wondering, I do have a legal 12 month license to substance painter.

Ok, great news, after a couple of days of clarification, I was sent this email.

I am sorry that you had to wait.

You are welcome to use these models for the custom mod as long as our content in your mod will be non-commercial, meaning you can’t charge users to view/use your work nor can you sell or license it to others in exchange for any kind of payment.

Please, also follow CD PROJEKT RED Video Policy

Good luck and have fun with your mod!

Best regards,
    Paweł from Dragon Mountains

CD PROJEKT RED Video Policy

We encourage everyone to create videos using content from our games. We think it’s awesome you guys make all those fantastic walkthrough/playthrough/Let’s Play movies, clips showing how to unlock certain achievements and video reviews of our games. We love seeing them all out there and in fact love watching them ourselves, so please feel free to publish and stream them live them on YouTube, Twitch and other video sharing websites. Please remember that the use of our content in your videos has to be non-commercial, meaning you can’t charge users to view your work nor can you sell or license it to others in exchange for any kind of payment.

You can, however, become a part of the YouTube and Twitch partner program and monetize your videos with content from our games by participating in it or in similar partnership programs used by other video sharing sites.

Other than that, all we have to say is: create, have fun and be awesome!

ProlericJFKvoidofopinionthirdmouse
    So it is a go! I will have a working model in game soon. now I have to go beat the witcher 2 from start to finish!

DerpCityTarotRedhandvoidofopinion
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,133

So it is a go! I will have a working model in game soon. now I have to go beat the witcher 2 from start to finish!

It's a very short game.

Almost Gears of War short.

However, it has two distinct paths so the second have can be played twice for very different results.

DerpCityzordren3742
    edited May 22
    I will have a hak and a module showcase soon guys. I just want to have a few different models to show what the engine can do. So far I am really impressed how good these models look in game. still trying to figure out these pink/purple textures.

DerpCity
    Taking a bit longer than I expected, I went back and added the hit/die animations and particle effects to the models I got in game. I did not know how to do that, so it took me some time. But now I know how to get the models in game, add pwk's, copy hit/die animations, particle effects and sound sets from other models. Tree's and foliage are on hold until I can find someone that can write a working vertex shader to make billboards work or until I can do it myself.

pscythe
    So I have a pretty clear plan now. I am going to get all the objects in the red and black tent you start at in king foltest camp. And that will be my alpha. After that I will try to get everything in foltest camp for a full 1.0 release of the witcher 2 to nwn EE port. And whole areas at a time for 2.0, 3.0 ext.

pscythe
  • dafenadafena Member Posts: 63
    Wait, are you going to export zones as... AxB tile groups? That's might be a waste of time if you wanna do something that you can use in something that's not a Witcher module.

I'd recommend you to stick first to placeables and then going bigger with armor/heads/npcs. Porting areas, as I said, might be a waste of time.

zordren3742
    edited June 6
    At this time, all the models I am porting are going to be placeables. I did not ask for permission to use npc creatures or npc models. Areas would be tough sense witcher 2 does not use a tile system. Weapons, I may work on later.

So I had to go back and fix the models I already ported. They had custom split vertex data applied, some vertex colors and some stuff that was made to work with the witcher 2's engine that would not work with nwn ee. I did know what any of that was until a couple of days ago. basically it was a bunch of stuff that I had to take out that changes the way the shading works on the models. all the models I am porting now use blenders auto smooth at 30 degree angle, that is blenders default normal setting in the object data tab. and now all the normal and spec maps are rendering right in nwn. They actually look even better now. I can not wait to get it all done, I just have been working 60 hours a week and there is just not a lot of time.

JFK
    edited June 15
    maybe some time during your adventures you will want to be able to walk inside of a object instead of using a door or area transition.Not to say that it has never been done, I'm sure it has.

pscytheSylvus_MoonbowJFKdonar
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 584
    It looks good, hopefully some others can get permissions to port other game assets over too.

zordren3742
    So I was looking at the models, and I knew something was missing, Portraits! So I am went back to learn how to add portraits to placeables and then used blender to render them. So in short, all the placeables in this mod will come with medium, small and tiny portraits just like the OC's placeables.

DerpCityJFKdTdvoidofopinion
    Working on the 25th placeable tonight. It has been slow I know, still working a lot of hours at work. But I am still at it. before I eventually get to my first release, I would like to get some builders to test some of these out. I want these placebles to be as fully useable and feature full as the OC placeables. Kind of going with the "anything worth doing, is worth doing right" approach. things like making sure you can sit in the chair,maybe making it so the candle stand can be turned on and off. But I know I need some scripting to make those things happen.

DerpCity
    I will have my first release up on the vault some time this week. More info soon.

DerpCitythirdmouseProleric
    edited July 25
    Ok the alpha is up on the vault:https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/prefab/placeable/witcher-2-nwn-placeables-port

I will add more info on current known issues and what I plan on doing before I get to a beta build soon. Have fun with it and let me know what you think should be added or changed.

dTddafena
    Hey @zordren3742 ! Just tried it and A W E S O M E work! I've left you a few tips on the vault page!

zordren3742
    edited July 25
    Ok so I am going to start to work on getting the animated textures in the witcher 2 to work in neverwinter nights as emitters. it should work sense they are sprite sheet's just like what nwn use's, well the candle flame I have seen in the textures I ripped is. I am also going to try my best to get all of the foliage to work but most of them are billboards so I will most likely have to reverse engineer them to work as emitters and I do not know how well that will go. wish me luck.

edited July 28
    It is coming along, just so you know, moving a aurora light to right where you want it with a 2da really sucks. Those are the witcher 2 candle sprites, which you may not believe this, but they are the very same sprite sheet from NWN 1 .....no kidding, the only thing different is the one from the witcher 2 is 256x256 and the neverwinter nights one is 128x128.

edited August 10
    Ok it has been a while, I have been testing the speed tree out and also testing my plan to make the leaves billboards.
    After talking to LaputianBird (the forum that I talked to him in is here https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/998350#Comment_998350) and after doing some testing the results where a bit bittersweet.
    I am glad that I went through the trouble of making the leaves work with the emitters. I did learn a lot about how to set up and use emitters and how big of an impact they have on performance.

After all of the testing and I can say that the emitter billboard system does work, but for various reasons, it is not suitable for use in nwn at this time, at least not on the scale that that it needs to be to make all of the leaves on the speed tree work and get decent fps.

Ok now we can get into the whats and whys. So my gaming pc is not a bread toaster, but it is not state of the art either.

Mainboard-ASUS Z97-P
    CPU-Intel Core i5 4690k running at 4.0GHz
    RAM-16 GBytes DDR3 running at 1600MHz
    GPU-Radeon RX 480 with 4096MBytes GDDR5

The on screen data is made with MSI afterburner.
    All of these screenshots where taken with all of the optional shaders turned on.

so here is a image of a 8x8 city exterior blank with just a single tree in the middle, this is the pc standing at the edge.
    And here is a image of the same area with the pc standing by the tree with the billboards.
    The tree is 2 placeables one is the tree and branches it has 5,616 verts with 5,474 faces, and the other is the billboards object it has 2,100 verts with 525 faces, each one of those faces is a emitter that I set up to act like a billboard. Here are some images of the settings I used to make the billboards

Not only is there a massive 40 fps drop but there is a drop in GPU utilization as well, this is evidence of the emitters bottlenecking that LaputianBird mentioned. So is it really just the emitter billboards causing the problem? surely it has to be more polygons or those gpu melting engine breaking shadows too right? Well I did another test to find out.

Here is a image of a 8x8 forest with 9 npcs fighting in the middle and 63 of the same tree without the billboards.

And here is the pc in the middle of the same area with no npcs
    And here is back at the city with no billboards
    I am going to do a bit more testing to find out where the bottleneck is at (how many billboards you can have on screen before gpu utilization drops) it probably will not take very many to do it but I had 525 of them on the tree so we will see, I will post the info when I find out. If anyone can think of anything that I might be able to change with the emitter settings to get better performance that would help too.
    Zoomed all the way out then all the way in on 525 emitters

Zoomed in and out on 400 emitters

Zoomed in and out on 300 emitters

And at 200 emitters there does seem to be a fair jump in performance, even zoomed in I get playable fps over 30.

And there is a very nice jump in performance at 100 emitters

So it seems that there is a soft wall somewhere between 100 and 200 billboards on my system at least. These are also not animated emitters which I am sure are more taxing, but I have not done any test on that yet. there are so many things that you can change when it comes to animated emitters. I do not know where I would even begin to test them and I do not plan on messing with animated emitters just yet. This was about testing billboards and trying to make foliage from the witcher 2 work in nwn. So I am going to port the trees, but without the billboards. other plants in the witcher 2 use billboards as well, but not all of them so I will have to look at them and see what will make the cut and what will not, it will depend on how many billboards they have and there are other things to consider, like that fact that emitters are not affected by lighting and they pierce through fog.

JFKT0R0DerpCitydafena
    Remember what I tell you about compiling? Well, it was bugged on 1.76 and every compiled model crashed the game.

When they release another update, you should load an area with all your models and write on the console ##compilemodels (and add a folder where your exe stands called compiled). The game will compile everything on the scene and dump it with normals and tangets included.

It won't help with your billboard textures, but it definitly will speed up the loading time of every model. :*

zordren3742
    dafena said:

Remember what I tell you about compiling? Well, it was bugged on 1.76 and every compiled model crashed the game.

When they release another update, you should load an area with all your models and write on the console ##compilemodels (and add a folder where your exe stands called compiled). The game will compile everything on the scene and dump it with normals and tangets included.

It won't help with your billboard textures, but it definitly will speed up the loading time of every model. :*

OK, thank you for the information and I will try this when the next update comes up.

edited August 19
    So it has been a week or two sense I have given any updates on progress. Billboards as emitters are out of the plan for now, even the bushes have over a hundred each and for performance reasons on that scale at this time it just does not make sense to use them. For the next update I am going to release a second alpha that will come with the candle stand that has the witcher 2 animated candle sprites with dynamic light (the plan is to have 3 versions of light models, off, on and dynamic) It will also come with 2 tree models with no dangly mesh and it will also come with a plant and 2 grass models that I played with and added dangly mesh to, so they blow in the wind and move when you walk by them. There are a couple more things I want to look at before I get ready to release a beta. I want to make sure whatever features and quality I plan to have going forward are in before beta.

edited August 19
    Here is are some pics of the plant and some textures. I had to do some work on the textures for this plant in GIMP because for some reason in the witcher 2 CD projekt did not use a alpha channel on this plant and also some other things, instead they used some type of mask system. So it had 4 textures, a diffuse, normal, specular and a black and white one. And my best guess is they programed the engine to render the plant kind of like this "hey everything that is white on this texture render that part of the diffuse and everything that is black on this texture do not render that part on the diffuse" So I loaded the black and white image up in gimp and used a type of selection that would select an area of the image base on color range and saved it (basically I cut and saved the white part of the image). I then loaded the cut part of the black and white and the diffused images up in gimp as layers and used the black and white part as a stencil, I just made a alpha channel and hand erased the color parts of the image that where not white and then I deleted the black and white layer when I was done. The transparency will not show here, the black part on the second image and the last one is transparency, also those ugly shadows are because the leaves are on mesh plains, I will turn them off when they get put in.

And Voila!

dTd
    edited August 23
    So it looks like in the witcher 2 they used several different sizes of the same grass models so I'm going to go for 3 different model sizes for those and maybe other plants as well, sizes will be default, +50% and +100% and I may even do -50% and -100% for the bigger ones we will just have to see. UPDATE: With the addition of object scaling with scripts in EE this is not really necessary anymore, I did not really think about it until after posting.

edited August 30
    Ok it has been a week and I did not get whole lot done because I was messing with the candle stand model to try and make it so it can turn on and off with the nw_02_onoff script. If you put this script on the OC candle1 model it will turn its emitters and its light on and off. I finally got the candle stand where it will turn the emitters on and off and the light will turn and off sort-of but not in the same way as the candle 1, the candle1 will turn on and create a new dynamic light source and then completely turn off. My candle stand will turn on and off when you activate it but with no new dynamic light source. I have no idea why and I am going to let this sleeping dog lie until I learn how to use and write scripts. You can test and see what I am talking about in the toolset by making a placeable with the candle 1 appearance and then set the nw_02_onoff script from the drop down list in on one of the script slots then go in-game and do whatever action you set the script in to activate it.

edited August 31
    Well the only thing I let lie was me, I did get the candle stand to work fully with the on/off script and there will be 2 versions one with a dynamic aurora light and one without in the next alpha that I hope to have out very soon. The only thing left before the next alpha is I am going to go ahead and set up and port the other tree from the camp as well. After Alpha 2...….....campfires.

• acidchalkacidchalk Member Posts: 66