Skip to content

[(BGEE, BG2) bug] Nahal's reckless dweomer

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
edited August 2012 in Fixed
As an invocation/evocation, Nahal's reckless dweomer is using the wrong casting animation and school. The casting speed is also incorrect.
// nahal's reckless dweomer casting time, school
COPY_EXISTING ~spwi124.spl~ ~override~
WRITE_BYTE 0x22 15 // invocation
WRITE_SHORT 0x25 6 // invoker
READ_LONG 0x64 "abil_off"
READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num"
FOR ("index" = 0; "%index%" < "%abil_num%"; "index" = ("%index%" + 1)) BEGIN // fix existing effects
WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + ("%index%" * 0x28)) 5 // casting time
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
    Adding...
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Verified, this fix has been integrated internally. It should be present in the next build.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I can confirm that Nahal's reckless dweomer is now using the animation for Invocation/Evocation school spells. I have no idea about the casting time though.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited August 2012
    I can confirm casting time and animation, however school is set to 10.
    I'm not sure if this is the result of a local edit or it is indeed not set to 6. Also i don't know if it was intentional or not.
    Likely intentional due to this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2459/bgee-bug-impossible-to-complete-character-generation-when-using-a-wild-mage/p1

But that fix was unsuccessful, so the change in the spell was unnecessary. The original ToB did well without it.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Avenger_teambg
    School is indeed set to 10.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Confirmed fixed:
    1. "Casting animation" changed from Conjuration to Invocation
    2. "Primary type (school)" changed from Conjurer (2) to Unknown (10) (heh...)
    3. Casting speed changed from 3 to 5.

All other effects, parameters identical.
    edited August 2012
    Wisp said:

@Avenger_teambg
    School is indeed set to 10.

@SethDavis: if you don't need this change for the wild magic fix, please revert it.
    I would rather make an external list of wild magic spells (or check on the school exclusion field, it is 0x7fc0 for wild magic - that is exclude all magic schools)
    The schooltype field you 'mess with' is needed for selective spell resistance.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    @Avenger_teambg - So far as I know that change is needed unless I can find a more involved workaround.

It was my understanding that this spell was only usable by people using the wild mage spell school and the only reason that wild mages were failing CC was because this wasn't a wild mage spell.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your last line please? I cannot tell if you mean that the value 10 is being used elsewhere or that there was some reason for this spell to belong to a school that could not cast it.
    edited August 2012
    The value 10 isn't used, as it is a new value. But the field is used by another opcode class (4-6 opcodes).
    There are school/secondary type immunity/bounce effects that would not see wild magic spells, if you set that field to a different value.

Nahal's reckless is an Evocation by def: http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Nahal’s_Reckless_Dweomer_(3.5e_Spell)
    http://www.thievesguild.cc/spells/index.php?Number=56

Other wild magics (the chaos shields) are Abjuration.

If tomorrow you create a new wild magic spell, like summon slaadi, it would be a Summoning spell.

It is just a small inconvenience that this field cannot determine wild magic, another field (the school exclusion) can.