Skip to content

More Fighter Kits

Please add more Fighter kits. Currently, they are pretty much all-or-nothing - Kensai has no armor, Wizard Slayer has no magical items and Berserker has no specialization. Something in between could be done, such as a fighter restricted to specialization in all but one type of weapon or a fighter that could wear only light armor. It would be pretty cool if it would tie into Faerun, as well, with kits for specific fighting styles (say, twin weapon style from Waterdeep) or organizations (say, the Zhentarim).

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    I agree with more kits, but the fighter atleast got kits that are unique and work on their own in some way.

Kensai - Unique and interesting even though a little bit weak early game unless you dual class.
    Wizard Slayer - Might not be the strongest and could use a little buff, but unique kit anyway.
    Berserker - Very strong and might not be as unique as the barbarian, it's still a nice kit with a different rage.

I think they should work on fixing the kits we already have, instead of introducing new ones.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @true_shinken - Fighter that can wear only light armor...I'd like that one too. But we already got one - the Stalker. Yes...no weapon GrandMastery and some other things on top of it, but that's your light fighter. Basically.
    Another Medium-armor fighter is the Barbarian. (Technically, a fighter kit. And a strong one too.)

A Duellist or something might be interesting. I also don't really like Kensai's "no armor, braces or helmets whatsoever" rule.

What I'd like to see, is an Evil ranger kit. (The eponymous Dark Hunter as we were musing in several other threads around here)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    What you meant to say was, Berserker's have no penalties, making them without contest the only fighter you should ever take, unless you're just wanting to roleplay.

THough I'd much rather see the berserker, Kensai, and wizard slayer brought closer to their PnP level of power, which makes even the vanilla fighter a valid choice without feeling like you're purposely gimping yourself. I've covered exactly what's wrong with each in several threads, and especially the berserker has literally no reason to not be PnP accurate. The Kensai isn't very difficult either but would be slightly harder to implement, and the wizard slayer I have no idea if they would even be possible...most of their stuff is, and I can think of a few work arounds for their weapon benefits, but they would be the hardest to do right.
  • true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    Wizard Slayer kit is awful. I like the concept, but the execution is terrible.
    booinyoureyes
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    @true_shinken The Wizard Slayer is actually based off a p&p Barbarian kit with the same name. And those Barbarians ain't the Conan type but rather the tribal warrior that fights with animal skins and stone spears. So the Wizard Slayer is best seen as an anti-shaman or shaman hunter, hence why it is rather weak. It is designed for campaigns in undeveloped regions like Maztica or the Jungle of Chult than really Amn or Tethyr.
    Kamigoroshi[Deleted User]Illustair
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    The PnP Wizard slayer can't use any magic items period. But they are fairly well compensated. (The below is a tweaked version of the class to be more applicable to BG. (the only thing really tweaked with though is the dual/multi penalty)

Benefits-

Can dispel magic on melee hit, caster level equal to class level.
    Every melee hit requires a save at -2 or the target suffers a 25% spell failure penalty for 5 rounds. Does not stack.

Melee weapons wielded by the wizard slayer can by-pass to-hit requirements equal to +1 per 3 levels (maximum of +5).

At 3rd level and above the wizard slayer is unaffected by spells that ward against normal weapons or materials (such as Protection from normal missiles or lesser ironguard). Weapons wielded by a wizard slayer are never considered magical.

The wizard slayer's armor and shields worn can be imbued with greater resistance towards magical effects, grants +1 to saves from magical effects per 3 levels each. Maximum of +5 each (total of +10 if both are worn).

Has 25% magic resistance at creation, +3% per level (Maximum of 100% at 25).

Spells that deal pure magical damage (such as magic missiles) only deal half damage.

At 10th level and above, once per day the Wizard slayer can project an Anti-magic shell, centered on themselves and extends out 10ft. Lasts 1 round per level. (Functions similar to the Holy-Sword anti-evil-magic field, but is a true anti-magic field in all respects).

Penalties -

Cannot be gnome, elf, or half-elf. (Races with an inborn magical inclination are unsuited to become wizard slayers due to the harmful effects being imbued anti-magic causes to their bodies. Less magically inclined races such as Humans can do so with no ill-effects, while dwarves and some halflings take well to the kit due to their inborn resistance to magical effects).

Cannot go beyond specialization. Their extra focus on anti-mage training prevented them from mastering weaponry to the degree of a true fighter.

Cannot use any magical items. The anti-magic contained within the Wizard Slayer will instantly suppress the abilities of any magical item they remain in contact with.

Magical healing from any source are only half as a effective. (Heal would only restore 50% health, etc)

Their magic resistance cannot be willingly suppressed and applies to both beneficial and hostile spells alike.

Cannot dual or multiclass. (Technically they could dual/multi as thieves, just not as spell-using classes, but it would require that they be denied UAI, so it's easier to just say no dual/multi).

Archaos
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    edited October 2013
    You guys are over-complicating it. Honestly I'd make the wizard slayer this:

Advantages:
    *3% Magic Resistance per level

Disadvantages:
    *Cannot use rings
    *Cannot use potions
    *1d8 hit points at level up

No stupid nerfs, no pointless little powers. Nice and simple.
    Post edited by Joey on
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Joey said:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:
    *Cannot use rings

But that would make it the most used fighter kit. Rings aren't even that important to a fighter, so it's pretty much Full plate +1 and then free magic resistance.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    Added a couple more nerfs. Point is at present the wizard slayer is too nerfed to be playable - most people just don't want to forgo all magic items on their precious charname.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    I've been building and testing this kit, currently utilizing a paladin template for the fallen component. I could easily transition to a fighter kit though. That being said I need some assistance in distributing this via weidu if anyone is able and or willing to assist me

SAMURAI: Samurai are professional warriors, members of the noble class who are trained in the arts of warfare. They are not only trained for their role in society, they are born into a system of allegiance, loyalty, and honor that influences every stage of their lives. A samurai cut loose from this system is no longer a samurai; he is an ordinary fighter, a Ronin with no honor and no standing in society.

Advantages:

- May use Kai ability once per day per level (start at 1st level with one use)
    - May achieve Grandmastery (5 slots) in katana, wakazashi, longbows (daikyu), halberd (naginata), and club (tetsubo)

KAI: The samurai begins to learn the art of focusing his ki. By concentrating on his breathing and using a kiai (loud shout), the samurai increases his strength score to 18/00 for one round.

or

KAI: All successful attacks within the next 10 seconds (1 round) deal maximum damage

- 2nd level: Gains a +1 damage rolls every 3 levels.

- 5th level: Becomes immune to fear and morale failure

- 9th level: May use the Great Kai ability once per day

GREAT KAI: This power draws upon the characters ki, exploding in a ferocious, warlike shout. The samurai’s Strength score is raised to 18/00 for two rounds and all enemies within 10 feet must save vs. paralyzation or be stunned for one round

or

GREAT KAI: All successful attacks within the next 20 seconds (2 round) deal maximum damage and all enemies within 10 feet must save vs. paralyzation or be stunned for one round

Disadvantages:

- May not wear armour heavier than splint mail
    - May not equip shields
    - May only become Proficient (one slot) with all other weapon classes
    - May not use Lay On Hands Ability
    - May not turn undead
    - May not cast priest spells
    - Alignment restricted to lawful
    - If party reputation drops below 8, becomes a ronin, loses all samurai abilities, and is the equivalent of a fighter (cannot regain samurai status)
    maxibooinyoureyes
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited January 2014
    SionIV said:

Joey said:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:
    *Cannot use rings

But that would make it the most used fighter kit. Rings aren't even that important to a fighter, so it's pretty much Full plate +1 and then free magic resistance.
    With no potions? they would have to heal only thorugh the cast of healing magic from clerics or items. They would die a lot, even the actual WS is able to use potions.

Block potion use is surely a HUGE nerf. The kit Deserve Even something else in return (some other advantages) from what i think.

If i knew how to proper mod i would make the following changes in the WS kit:

Wizard Slayer

Advantages:

->Disrupt spells - Every hit bestow a X% chance of spell failure equal to the WS level. the debuff stays for 2 rounds. Doesn't work if the hit is innefective.

->True Strike - If the next attack roll hit, nothing will stop the hit from taking effect, neither can it be blocked as innefective with protection from magic weapon or mantle effects, neither can the damage of the hit be blocked by protection spells such as stoneskin, mirror image or another alike.

Get one use of this skill per each 5 levels. After using True Strike the character imediatly get fatigued for 3 (or 4 or 5) rounds due to the insane mental focus needed to pierce magical shields. This skill CANNOT be used while fatigued.

Optional (to be used with the optional version of shattering magic disadvantage) : If Used against an enemy protected by magical weapons or any kind of mantle or absolute immunity spell, that protection will be dispelled. If an enemy is naturally immune to normal weapons or low level magical weapons, he will lose this protection for 1 turn.

-> Dispel focus - Imbue the weapon with the dispel on hit ability based on the WS levels, at using this ability every magical effect on the user is dispelled (if they can be dispelled). Make the character fatigued with use for 3 (4 or 5) rounds. Cannot be used while fatigued.

->Magic Shield - Starting at level 10 with one use and get another use at each 5 levels after that.

Ability to invoke protection from magic (as if used the scroll). While the character is inside this globe NO KIND OF MAGIC CAN AFFECT HIM, and this include healing potions as well, also skills and other spell alike abilities.

For each 5 rounds inside the globe the character will take progressive damage per round, starting with 1 damage in the first 5 rounds, 2 damage in the next five rounds, 3 damage for the 3° 5 rounds in sequence. A character can't die using this skill, in the moment this skill attempts to take the final hit point of the character, the spell will be dispelled and the character will be left with 1 point of life.

Optional: Can't be used while fatigued.

->Get 1% Mres per level until level 10.
    Starting at level 11 Get 2% Mres per level until level 15.
    Starting at level 16 get 3% Mres per level until level 20.
    From level 21 foward, get 4% Mres per level until capped at 100% Mres.

Disadvantages:

->1d8 Hit dice per level.

-> Shattering magic: Each time the character hit an enemy, there's an 1% chance (or 0,5%) of destroy one of the magical items that enemy had (equiped or in inventory), which means you can't pick it up after the fight evidently.
    Optional: 1% chance of destroy the characters own magical weapon used to hit an enemy.
    Obs: Of course artifacts can't be destroyed that easy, for roleplay terms then they would be shifted inside and dimensional rift in reason of the magical surge, vanishing from the players possession. From mechanical points the item would be destroyed of course.

-> Can't dual class to Mage, Cleric, Druid or Ranger.

-> True Magic Resistance: The WS Mres affect both enemies and allies spells alike, the higher it is, the better protected the WS will be of course, but harder will be to him to receive buffs from allies.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2014
    ...I want the Deathbringer kit. :(

Just joking though if fully implemented, it could be fun, even as a mod.
    CrevsDaak
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    I'd like to see a throwing weapon based fighter kit. The problem is how to design it to make it feel distinct from the archer. Making the class special ability based instead of gaining static bonus would be different compared to the archer and other fighters, but I feel like a defining feature of the fighter class is simplicity.
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    It would be nice to have a couple race-only kits
    Like @handoftyr about throwing weapons, it would be sweet to have a halfling kit like that

Also some other kits, like
    a. Arcane Archer as a bard kit. Song doesn't improve, but has called shot. Kind of like the Blade Kit but ranged only. Maybe allow mastery in shortbows or something like that.
    b. More deities for clerics like in the Divine Remix mod, with each type having their own advantages/disadvantages
    c. A sorcerer casting style Druid kit
    d. This is completely random that I think would be neat... a shapeshifting thief of some sort
    e. A monk kit that can use quarterstaves!!!! The picture of the chick with the shaved head would be so perfect.

Honestly I think the best way to save the Wizard Slayer kit is to give it a couple abilities similar to the Inquisitor paladin kit. A Dispel Magic or True Sight would make the disadvantages a bit easier to swallow.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    HandofTyr said:

I'd like to see a throwing weapon based fighter kit. The problem is how to design it to make it feel distinct from the archer. Making the class special ability based instead of gaining static bonus would be different compared to the archer and other fighters, but I feel like a defining feature of the fighter class is simplicity.

Increase attacks per round instead of how much damage the class do could be an excelent start for this suggested kit, something around 6 to 8 attacks per round with throwing weapons would be really nice. Anyway Throwing weapons (dagger, dart and axes) are considered one handed weapons that could get bonus from single weapon style.