Skip to content

Old Loading Screens & Gameplay Tips

TheBlackThroneTheBlackThrone Member Posts: 42
edited October 2013 in Feature Requests
It's been a while since I last started BGEE (waiting for 1.2 and the sequel), but if memory serves me well, the load screens are now completely absent from the game (do correct me if I'm wrong).

I understand the intention of creating a smoother overall experience, and modern hardware certainly made it easy to do. However, the change has its drawbacks. The original loading screens were quite pleasing to the eye (showing art pieces not visible anywhere else), and they contained many tips and explanations, which was especially useful for newer players still in the process of learning the game.

I think (in the interest of having the full Baldur's Gate experience with the EE), they should be reintroduced (and expanded on) as a simple click-to-close feature that activates on all area transitions by default, but can be toggled off in the options. Is it just me, or would anyone else like to see them make a comeback?
FrozenCellsVintrastorm

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    That was honestly one of the few changes I genuinely like. Especially with it constantly lying to my face about importing my BG2 character into NWN.
    VintrastormCrevsDaak
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited October 2013
    I don't know about the art... but for the tips there is, after all, a convenient text area in the new main screen.
    It could show a randomised tip at the beginning and change on hover to each choice's description, then go back to a different tip when the mouse is moved out. Just a thought :)
    Vintrastorm
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    As long as I can disable these loading screens I support this, it could help new players.
    Franpafrede957
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Since I'm missing this, I'm bumping it. Also, how about updating the tool-tips to match BG:EE. :)
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    I totally agree that Id love to see that artwork and tips in some other repository, it would really help preserve the Baldur's Gate *feel* to at least have access to it

however, forcing loadscreens = bad, imo

the 'art pieces not visible anywhere else' such as
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gorion3.png

are so pretty it's a shame to lose them from the 'Enhanced' product altogether
    alnair
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited November 2013
    Since they're not very high-res, another idea: tile as much of them as needed to fill up the background of the main menu, perhaps in a pseudo-random order to ensure the user sees them all even if only a few at a time.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The areas load fast, so no loading screen is needed.
    Maybe for the saves you load.
    JuliusBorisov