Skip to content

option: new content without having to take new npcs

GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
edited January 2014 in Feature Requests
current behavior (as far as I understand):

You have to take the new npc's into your party to gain access to new areas/content.

Desired behavior/option:

To be able to explore new areas/content without adding the new npcs into my party

Edit: title

Comments

• SuccubusSuccubus Member Posts: 90
    That would be my wish, as well.
    I like the new NPCs, but it's a pity we can't explore new areas without them. The Amphitheater area is exceptionally neat and so are encounters there. It's very hard to find though.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    The thing is the areas don't make sense without the new characters. I can't think why you'd go to Lumia without Dorn, for example.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Taear said:

The thing is the areas don't make sense without the new characters. I can't think why you'd go to Lumia without Dorn, for example.

This. Why would charname be inclined to even go to these places (or even be aware of them) without the NPC's mentioning them?
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Unfortunately in my last playthrough of BG1 I had a rule that I would Ctrl-Y all random encounters. Which meant no Dorn.

Weirdly though, I had to Ctrl-Y him twice. Almost like the game was telling me "Are you really sure?"
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Taear said:

It can make sense. It is not necessary to know exactly how to know this is true.

Baldurs gate was so successful because it managed to be so much to so many. Why? Options.
  • SuccubusSuccubus Member Posts: 90
    Taear said:

I don't think it's good design to force characters on you this way.
    Although, I'm okay with them having to mention the area first before knowing there's something worth exploring.
    Another problem is that some areas are hard to unlock, for no reason. For example, you have to first guess that Rasaad is in Trademeet (unless you're inclined to read OOC directions) and then guess that to unlock the Amphitheater area you have to go back to a small area that you've already visited.