Skip to content

Option to disable tooltip sound

This has been requested in the past and archived, http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13648/tooltip-hover-sound-toggle

I'm only 2 hours into the game and the constant rustling paper sound of the tooltips, which I have to rely on this early in the game, are already giving me a headache. An option to disable the tooltip sounds would be greatly appreciated. Through the UI, an .ini setting, or even some workaround/tweak.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The UI sound effects are tied to the Sound Effects slider in the Sounds options menu. Sliding it down to the minimum on the left will also disable sounds from opening doors and casting spells, but lowering the level may make it less intrusive for you.
    elminster
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    The tooltip sound effect is hardcoded into the game's executable and uses the sound resource PAPER.WAV.

You can shut up the sound effect if you replace it by a silent sound clip. Use a sound editor to create a short (1 second) silent uncompressed WAV file in mono, 16-bit, 22050Hz. Save it as PAPER.WAV and put it into your game's override folder. It works in both BG:EE and BG2:EE.
    sialiviFlashburnBaptor
  • sialivisialivi Member Posts: 3
    Much appreciated, worked great.
  • RedglyphRedglyph Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the tip! It worked very well, I used the file given here, renamed it properly to PAPER.WAV and moved it into the newly created override directory.

Still, an option for that would be great, I can't imagine anyone would like to hear that sound more than a couple of times ;)
    Baptor