Skip to content

PnP-style Sword and Shield style

Just wishful thinking on my part, since I've been trying to figure out some way to make it happen.

Unlike the pretty much useless Sword and Shield style in BG, PnP Sword and shield style is actually an alternative to two-weapon style, allowing the use of your shield as a weapon, while also being able to retain it's defensive properties when not using it for attacking. (during the round a shield is used to attack you lose it's AC bonus. The enhancement level of the shield determines what it can hit, but doesn't add to hit/damage. Strength bonuses and miscellaneous damage bonuses, such as the passive +1 damage/hit Skald have does apply).

* - Allows the use of bucklers (1 blunt damage) and small shields (1d3 blunt damage) to attack. Similar to dual-wielding your thac0 receives a -2/-4 penalty while using the shield offensively.

** Allows the use of medium shields (1d4+1 blunt damage) for attacking. Similar to two-weapon style, thac0 is reduced by 0/-2 while using the shield offensively.

So far I've actually had some success weaponizing the shields by simply adding a togglable melee mode which can be accessed in their right click menu, and works decently well (but i don't have a proper animation for it, so they currently poke with a dagger animation while in melee mode), but i have no idea how to alter sword and shield style (and I'm reasonably sure you can't, at least not right now) to do the other stuff (mostly since I've been trying fix two-weapon style to only have 2 pips as it should but haven't found anything to do it with).

The idea was that the melee mode would apply a -20 penalty to off-hand attacks for non-proficiency, and then each point would have it's appropriate setting. (though it's probably not possible to penalize use of medium shields at *, so it's mostly just thac0 benefit for getting **)