Skip to content

Externalised races

nbnmarenbnmare Member Posts: 15
edited October 2014 in Feature Requests
One feature I'd love to see added to the IE engine is the ability to add new races. No doubt this would require a considerable amount of work and will never be done for that reason, but hey! We can but live in hope.

So that it seems like I at least somewhat know what I'm talking about, below is a list of engine changes that would be required in terms of the external .2DA files.

- New .2DA: RACELIST.2DA. This file would serve a similar purpose to KITLIST.2DA. Some of that file's equivalent functions are already handled by RACETEXT.2DA, specifically each race's lower case name, mixed name, and ID. Those entries that are still needed: which RAABxx00.2DA to use (see below), the creature animation & paperdoll set to use, and the abbreviation used for the K_x_y.2DAs.

Example:

ROWNAME ABILITIES ANIMATION ABBREVIATION
1 HUMAN RAABHU01 HUMAN H
2 ELF RAABEL01 ELF E
3 HALF-ELF RAABHE01 ELF HE
4 DWARF RAABDWI01 DWARF D
5 HALFLING RAABHL01 HALFLING HL
6 GNOME RAABGN01 GNOME G
7 HALF-ORC RAABHO01 HALFORC HO
8 TIEFLING RAABTI01 ELF T
9 AASIMAR RAABAA01 HUMAN A
10 DROW RAABDR01 ELF DR

- New. 2DAs: RAABxx00.2DAs. These would be the racial equivalent of the CLABxx00.2DAs, i.e. they would allow us to set up the racial abilities (infravision, saving throw bonuses, resistances, etc), and as a bonus they be implemented so as to allow modders to grant racial abilities at later character levels.

There would be no need for these files to handle races' default ability score adjustments, ability score minimums/maximums, to-hit adjustments, or skill adjustments since these are already handled by ABRACEAD.2DA, ABRACERQ.2DA, RACETHAC.2DA, and SKILLRAC.2DA respectively.

- The engine would read any new rows added to ABRACEAD.2DA, ABRACERQ.2DA, RACETEXT.2DA, SKILLRAC.2DA, and the NPC .2DAs.

- The engine would also read any new columns added to CLSRCREQ.2DA, KITTABLE.2DA, MGSRCREQ, RACCOLR.2DA, and RACETHAC.2DA.
Post edited by nbnmare on